Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 All Age/Over 35s/pub league thread

Quote Originally Posted by Goatscheese View Post
    How did everyone go in Round 1?
    Got smacked 9-0 to Kotara (O'35 C, Fri nights). They were quite simply too good. Lugar park lighting is pretty good. The pitch is terrible. Be very cautious on the cricket pitch.
    One of us is in the wrong grade, that's all I'll say about grades.

космонавт-исследователь boz-monaut's Avatar
    Over 35 C is going to be at least two completely separate competitions by the sounds of it

I'm at Valo O35 in C grade as well.

Ref forgot to show up so one of our lads had to ref, he ended up having to give a red to one of our own lads for a blatant last man foul.

2-1 win against Swansea to start the season isn't bad considering we moved up from E grade.

Croudace Bay 2 pitch is not looking great for the start of the season, some erratic bounces based on the surface.

Great to be back on the field though.
    All opinions expressed here are my own.

"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin

4-0 and 4-1 losses for our All Age A and B sides at uni. Competition looks like it's going to be tougher this year than the last couple of years (although it has felt a little bit weak in those top grades in recent years).

We hosted 5 home games on Saturday, 2 games on one field and 3 on the other. Got 1 ref and 1 in-training linesman scheduled for the field with 2 games, and nothing for the field with 3 games (which included A and B grade). I feel sorry for the guys in charge of the refs association because they've been dealing with dwindling numbers for years now. Unfortunately it seems like it might be yet another year of club refs every second week

Quote Originally Posted by j_tez View Post
    4-0 and 4-1 losses for our All Age A and B sides at uni. Competition looks like it's going to be tougher this year than the last couple of years (although it has felt a little bit weak in those top grades in recent years).

We hosted 5 home games on Saturday, 2 games on one field and 3 on the other. Got 1 ref and 1 in-training linesman scheduled for the field with 2 games, and nothing for the field with 3 games (which included A and B grade). I feel sorry for the guys in charge of the refs association because they've been dealing with dwindling numbers for years now. Unfortunately it seems like it might be yet another year of club refs every second week
    Feel like some people expect there to be a plentiful supply of referees. Which there would be in the ideal world. But there’s not. Not many people look at a referee, reffing a game and say, bloody hell, I’d love to do that.
    Most people that ref, ref for community based reasons. A very very very small percentage would do it to progress through ranks or for monetary reasons but not the guys reffing all age and 035s.
    Some people forget that they have lives too and many are giving up things to referee.
    Imo, refereeing is a great part time gig for young players that don’t wanna go work at maccas etc. most associations are pretty accommodating in catering to your games.
    Remember refereeing a few games in the the morning, playing, and running a line for the big boys.

I know a few clubs or associations? Were doing some kind of referees course for people within their club.
    Imo, should almost be compulsory that either a coach or manager does a condensed refereeing course as a condition of registering a team.

Slightly off topic but...
    Football Queensland increased their referee numbers by 20%.
    - Beginner pack - free uniform, whistle, flag etc.
    - Teal shirt - first year referees wear teal shirts
    - Pink armband - all referees under 18 years of age wear a pink armband to remind players, spectators and coaches that they are a minor.

Now, i know we all know or have played with or against a few people that give referees hell, or spectators etc. Do you think the Teal shirt or pink armband would help?

Quote Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
    - Pink armband - all referees under 18 years of age wear a pink armband to remind players, spectators and coaches that they are a minor.

Now, i know we all know or have played with or against a few people that give referees hell, or spectators etc. Do you think the Teal shirt or pink armband would help?
    Can’t hurt.
    All opinions expressed here are my own.

"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin

I’ve been reffing for 7 years now, in both junior associations and state league, done a range of grades and be lucky enough to do some high grade games too.

There’s been a program in juniors for ages for first year refs to wear hivis bibs saying in training on them. Don’t know if it’s still going.

Recently, Northern offer your course, rego for the first year, whistle, flag, book, shorts and socks I think for $140. That’s quite good value.

But the biggest problem, and I’m sure it’ll come as a shock to everyone, is players, spectators and coaches. Players don’t know the rules, coaches don’t know the rules, and spectators sure as **** don’t. Yeah, we miss things, it happens, we’re human, get over it. But we can only go off what we see.

Another thing to keep in mind is that referees generally don’t do one game. Typically, your junior refs will ref before and after they play, sometimes doing up to 3 games, plus playing their own. Senior comp refs, say for NL1, the 3 refs on first grade which kicks off at 2:30 have typically been there since 10am, and the 18s ref (AR2 on first grade), will probably have run 11-12km before first grade kicks off! So by the time first grade is finished, you’re looking at having done 17-18km over 3 games. It takes a lot out of you.

My solution? Every team needs to have 1 qualified referee who is registered to officiate. Oh, and for duty officers to do their job and tell everyone to stfu, coaches to stfu, and players to stfu.
    Middleby Gone

Lawrie Out

Quote Originally Posted by Charman View Post
    Got smacked 9-0 to Kotara (O'35 C, Fri nights). They were quite simply too good. Lugar park lighting is pretty good. The pitch is terrible. Be very cautious on the cricket pitch.
    Playing at Lugar is certainly not our (KS) preference - abysmal cricket square, only a single change room - but we’re stuck with it for (at least) the first 4 weeks after council ****ed up the returfing of Nesbitt Park. 🤬

Grading is always a bit of a lottery, we won D grade last year but it wasn’t like we walked the league - beat Seaham in a last round top of the table clash to pass them but got towelled up a couple of times during the season. I thought we’d struggle a bit in C grade, as we’d moved up from F to D last year due to covid dropouts, lost our top 2 scorers from last year and hadn’t had a trial game. Things seemed to click for us though.

космонавт-исследователь boz-monaut's Avatar
    looks like o35C is the competition of choice this season

all i can say so far is watch out for Kurri's number 20, apalling haircut, quick turn of pace and very good shot)

I take it CH played Kurri rd 1 and were defeated? What was score?
    Dudley play CH this Friday and if it is the team from 2 years back they were pretty decent.

Scratch that question, found results and in good news it was only a 8-0 defeat!.
    Tronno 7 - stcoko 0
    Kurri 6 - Cookers 2
    Valo 2 - swans 1.
    3 pretty big wins, 1 tight match.
    Last edited by Charman; 27-04-2021 at 12:48 PM.

They were pushed up one grade from last year maybe it should've been two.

But as someone on your team told me yesterday, that one player that is the only reason Kotara goes well is too old to play in the comps he used to play in and is playing with some mates. Where else is he going to go

Imo, refereeing is a great part time gig for young players that don’t wanna go work at maccas etc. most associations are pretty accommodating in catering to your games.
    Remember refereeing a few games in the the morning, playing, and running a line for the big boys.
    You get some 16 and 17yos not wanting to do AA and O35 cause you get old fat ****s hurling abuse at them all game

Got absolutely flogged. Spent a lot of time in their box with only one to show, and they scored every chance they had (including a very embarrassing own goal). Me being a shithouse keeper doesn't help.

Had the ref in our Sat AA game stop the game to give the opposition bench a spray for giving the very, very young solo linesman grief. The coloured shirt/armbands is a good idea but definitely needs to be backed up with support from experienced refs who are happy to give an earful to abusive players/coaches/supporters/etc.
    Last edited by 2ndclasscitizen; 27-04-2021 at 02:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Goatscheese View Post
    You get some 16 and 17yos not wanting to do AA and O35 cause you get old fat ****s hurling abuse at them all game
    Preaching.
    Kids only try their best. All refs only try their best. Like players, like keepers, like strikers. Nobody wants to miss a goal, or let in an easy goal, or make a bad decision. Bu things happen...

Frustration is understandable during a game. It is somewhat a good skill to have as a referee to be able calm things down. That being said, nobody needs to be verbally abused, it isn't acceptable anywhere else, so it shouldn't be acceptable on the field. I can understand an outburst or questioning a referee. But if you cant hear an explanation, accept that maybe it was a wrong decision and move on with your AA N grade game, and get to the beers.

Interestingly, watched a few NRL games lately (thanks housemate), and theres some terrible terrible decisions, and players just ask a sarcastic question and walk away.....Cricketers get shit decisions, and get fines for shaking their heads at umpires.... But here our sport is, giving shit to 16 year olds for giving a throw in the wrong way.

Preaching.
    Kids only try their best. All refs only try their best. Like players, like keepers, like strikers. Nobody wants to miss a goal, or let in an easy goal, or make a bad decision. Bu things happen...

Frustration is understandable during a game. It is somewhat a good skill to have as a referee to be able calm things down. That being said, nobody needs to be verbally abused, it isn't acceptable anywhere else, so it shouldn't be acceptable on the field. I can understand an outburst or questioning a referee. But if you cant hear an explanation, accept that maybe it was a wrong decision and move on with your AA N grade game, and get to the beers.

Interestingly, watched a few NRL games lately (thanks housemate), and theres some terrible terrible decisions, and players just ask a sarcastic question and walk away.....Cricketers get shit decisions, and get fines for shaking their heads at umpires.... But here our sport is, giving shit to 16 year olds for giving a throw in the wrong way.
    Football has a cultural problem when it comes too treatment of referees, Australia has a culture of dislike of authority. The problem is only going to get worse until there is a shift in the culture. I am not holding my breath for this. For some reason people feel they have the right to to speak to/treat referees in a manner they'd dare not replicate anywhere else (well most people anyway, there is always the odd person who is a ****wit in every facet of their life, but everyone knows players/coaches/spectators that are genuinely decent, levelheaded people until football is involved). The way people get hung up on refereeing decisions is perplexing. I understand the passion and desire to win, its what makes football the best sport imo. However, 10 people can all view an incident and have 10 different opinions on what happened. You can have a roomful of referees all watch the same incident and not agree on the outcome, people need to learn to just accept decisions and move on.

At the end of the day they could have been in B grade, but really it's only one grade so maybe you guys need to just step up. Everyone gets fixated on the grades, but teams can't expect to win every game year on year.

Quote Originally Posted by riverboy View Post
    At the end of the day they could have been in B grade, but really it's only one grade so maybe you guys need to just step up. Everyone gets fixated on the grades, but teams can't expect to win every game year on year.
    A lot of burglars out there though

Quote Originally Posted by BS detecor View Post
    A lot of burglars out there though
    I understand that, but it's over 35 football. Outside of A and B grade It should be basically social football, shouldn't it? If there are guys that are still competitive up until their early 40's then maybe they should play lower grade zone league.

It cracks me up that people get over competitive about mid range over 35 football???

Quote Originally Posted by riverboy View Post
    I understand that, but it's over 35 football. Outside of A and B grade It should be basically social football, shouldn't it? If there are guys that are still competitive up until their early 40's then maybe they should play lower grade zone league.

It cracks me up that people get over competitive about mid range over 35 football???
    Do you know there were only 6 teams that nominated for c grade or above