Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Socceroos World Cup Campaign - All 11 days of it

I would rather be pumped 4-0 and have a real dig and be aggressive at goal than that effort and lose 2-0

Johnny A with the truth bombs...."we cant score goals".

Han Berger and those incompetents at FFA HQ who endorsed his influence over Football in this country have a lot to answer for.

Lucy..."how can anybody be happy going out like that"?
    The recriminations begin.

Im with Craig Foster be braver and back ourselves to put the opposition under pressure and have a dig

Quote Originally Posted by The Hacker View Post
    Im with Craig Foster be braver and back ourselves to put the opposition under pressure and have a dig
    Problem is we have had a curriculum in place for the last 10 years where that instinct to back ourselves has been coached out of players in favor of winning possession stats.

How Tom Juric has a job as a professional footballer is beyond belief...both the goals last night came from Peru being able to take their time and play the ball from the back because Juric applied zero pressure on their back 4 and dm all game. The most running he did was when he was subbed off.

If nabbout is the number 1 striker for this tournament and is actually a winger, and Juric is 2nd, Cahill 3rd.....and if I remember correctly that Taggart was the only Aussie striker to play in the a league last season...were the **** are we going to find goals from over the next few years.....It’s glowingly obvious that we lack quality up front and I can’t see a way out.

Quote Originally Posted by redwah View Post
    How Tom Juric has a job as a professional footballer is beyond belief...both the goals last night came from Peru being able to take their time and play the ball from the back because Juric applied zero pressure on their back 4 and dm all game. The most running he did was when he was subbed off.

If nabbout is the number 1 striker for this tournament and is actually a winger, and Juric is 2nd, Cahill 3rd.....and if I remember correctly that Taggart was the only Aussie striker to play in the a league last season...were the **** are we going to find goals from over the next few years.....It’s glowingly obvious that we lack quality up front and I can’t see a way out.
    I hate to agree with Red, but I agree with Red..

I've read a post on facebook by WolfMan and he said that Bert probably saved Tim from himself - as Plague has put it, it's about what Timmy could have done not what he failed to do at the World Cup. I hope he posts it in here.

For how bad the Saudis were in their opening 2 games, they still finish with more points in their respective group. Iran managed a win and a draw. Japan have 4 points with a game to play. South Korea have their chance too, though I don't think they'll get a result. People will suggest that we played better football than them, but did we really? We scored 2 penalties - one which was dubious and debatable and I still think we got lucky. We lack a striker and that bit of guile up top and unless we find one in the next short while we are going to struggle to get out of the group let alone retain the Asian cup.

Now looking ahead with Arnie - who will be in his starting XI? I reckon he starts Juric still, given his history with big tall focal point strikers like Janko and Bobo. He will have two chasing midfielders so I guess Jedinak could be dropped for maybe someone like Irvine or Luongo (who I am disappointed we didn't get to see) beside Mooy. The rest I haven't quite figured out. I'd be interested in others thoughts.

And I agree with the Member. Our national cirriculum isn't producing what we need. The big question is how we can tweak it to start producing players. Perhaps once everyone in the background stops their shitfighting it mightmake it onto an agenda for discussion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Also had a chuckle last night listening to Basheer. As Mooy stood over a freekick late on he said "they've got the right man over the ball. Now they need the right man on the end of it. We know who that is." Alluding obviously to Cahill. Yet I found myself thinking "Yeah he needs to find Jedinak or the hand of the opposition. That's the only way we can score"
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Juric was utterly hopeless. Why not give McLaren a go? We had nothing to lose. I was shouting for Cahill to come on just to see the back of Juric if nothing else.

Mooy & Rogic's ridiculously slow decision making and passing is starting to wear thin too. Our ball movement is so slow and the off the ball movement seems non-existent. So many problems to list, I cbf really. At least when I go to the U.S in 2026, most of this year's squad will surely be gone.

A lot of talk about Arzani and yet none about Dimi who actually knows how to put the ball in the back of the net.

Arzani is nowhere near the quality of Nathan Burns at the same age. So hearing comparisons to someone like Kewell is just ridiculous.

Overall the a-league provides a good living for sub par footballers. Great for them but detrimental to the development of the national team. Back in the day you had to be world class to make a good living now you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I've read a post on facebook by WolfMan and he said that Bert probably saved Tim from himself - as Plague has put it, it's about what Timmy could have done not what he failed to do at the World Cup. I hope he posts it in here.

For how bad the Saudis were in their opening 2 games, they still finish with more points in their respective group. Iran managed a win and a draw. Japan have 4 points with a game to play. South Korea have their chance too, though I don't think they'll get a result. People will suggest that we played better football than them, but did we really? We scored 2 penalties - one which was dubious and debatable and I still think we got lucky. We lack a striker and that bit of guile up top and unless we find one in the next short while we are going to struggle to get out of the group let alone retain the Asian cup.

Now looking ahead with Arnie - who will be in his starting XI? I reckon he starts Juric still, given his history with big tall focal point strikers like Janko and Bobo. He will have two chasing midfielders so I guess Jedinak could be dropped for maybe someone like Irvine or Luongo (who I am disappointed we didn't get to see) beside Mooy. The rest I haven't quite figured out. I'd be interested in others thoughts.

And I agree with the Member. Our national cirriculum isn't producing what we need. The big question is how we can tweak it to start producing players. Perhaps once everyone in the background stops their shitfighting it mightmake it onto an agenda for discussion.
    The national curriculum was always going to fail..the Dutch system is based on clubs at the top having massive funds to put into junior development...this is something we we never do in this country. The “golden generation” and the ones that camee before were based around young guys, 16,17,18yos playing first team football in the national league or against men in the reserves....the lack of that serious competition at that age is what has harmed us. The a league has squads of what 25 players...so at least 9-10 players sit in the stands in their nice suits every week....screw that how are these guys meant to improve or push the starters or how are kids that are good at 16 supposed to push and improve more if they aren’t getting a good kicking from a seasoned pro every week....
    The FFA need to rethink the whole process and look at better and more rigorous pathways for young guys.

What is people's assessments on the campaign?

Did we underachieve, meet or exceed expectations?

Considering we struggled to make it, we relied on penalties and goals from a 38yo to make it we should really be happy we weren’t spanked by all three opponents. I think Ange shouldn’t be forgiven for abandoning the post when he did. I think the system and pathways through the a league for younger players needs to be looked at closely....while ever rugby league and afl exist they will have more funds and the top level “athletes” go to those codes we will be alsorans......unless some kid is actually the next Messi/ ronaldo.

The fact that it was the same subs everytime reguardless of performances is pathetic and makes me angry. Dimi and Jamie Mac may have gotten us goals but wernt given a try neither was Luongo

We failed.
    End.

Didn’t fail as hard as I expected, but in hindsight I’m disappointed BVM didn’t get a bit more creative with selections/subs. A result against the Danes was key and we just came up short. Glad not to be facing Croatia though.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by halo se7en View Post
    Glad not to be facing Croatia though.
    So you would rather we went out at the group stage rather than progressed to the Rd16

That good thinking

Need you running the country with logic like that

I think a little of each. If at the start you said that we would stick with Fance and Denmark all the way you would of taken that considering how scratchy we were in qualifying.So for that we over achieved.
    By not winning a game that probably meet expectations.
    Where we underachieved is we stuck with France and Denmark but when we had the opportunity to be brave and really go at both teams we didn't and that was disappointing part