Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 Women's Premier League

Good day for Merewether against Adamstown

1st 1-0
    18s 1-1
    16s 1-6 or 7 lost count - not a great result, but looking forward to when we play them next.
    14s 1-1 almost held on for their first win.

Merewether missing a lot of players in all grades, so happy with the results. Adamstown missing some too, but did not seem to be as many.

Southy vs MidNorth Coast
    1st 3-0
    18s 1-2
    16s 3-0
    14s 0-4
    Every team missing players this time of the year... Southy 16s lending 2 players to 14s, 3 players to 18 s and 3 more to first grade!

Angry

NNSW have announced their squads for the Nationals... makes a mockery of the supposed "pathway", most of those selected are Ejets. Website article say 60+ girls trialled last week. Well, only one girl from South Wallsend trialled, she didn't get picked. This girl trains with the Jets but chose to stay with her club. How is it that Southy's 16s side is killing it every week yet no-one else from this team was even invited to trial? Yet there is a girl selected from the FMNC side, well fark me if our midfield didn't monster them when we beat them 2-0. Just another example of how insular, bias & unfair the rep system is. Do NNSW selectors watch any WPL games? There should have been about 5 from Southy invited. Yes, disappointed parent here

Your problem should be with your Club not NNSW selectors. The Club could have nominated girls to trial as Club's were asked to do so earlier on. If you think you have girls capable of playing at the top level ring GVE and have a chat. I've been told they regularly bring in players from WPL Club's to train as friend's kids have been doing it. Let's face it. How can you expect them to get to all the WPL games and see girls? I'm sure there isn't an endless supply of selectors and who says they don't come to watch the week the girls in question are sick or away? E Jets are also playing in the Sydney Comp so they are away every second Sunday.
    And are you saying that FMNC can't have a player that is individually good enough to make a State side? Just because you beat FMNC doesn't mean they don't have some good players in their squad. That's being a bit harsh.
    I can understand you're disappointed but that's football. Doesn't mean your daughter can't make it next year. Make the call to NNSW or ask your Club why they didn't nominate the girls you refer to.

Quote Originally Posted by flubber View Post
    Your problem should be with your Club not NNSW selectors. The Club could have nominated girls to trial as Club's were asked to do so earlier on. If you think you have girls capable of playing at the top level ring GVE and have a chat. I've been told they regularly bring in players from WPL Club's to train as friend's kids have been doing it. Let's face it. How can you expect them to get to all the WPL games and see girls? I'm sure there isn't an endless supply of selectors and who says they don't come to watch the week the girls in question are sick or away? E Jets are also playing in the Sydney Comp so they are away every second Sunday.
    And are you saying that FMNC can't have a player that is individually good enough to make a State side? Just because you beat FMNC doesn't mean they don't have some good players in their squad. That's being a bit harsh.
    I can understand you're disappointed but that's football. Doesn't mean your daughter can't make it next year. Make the call to NNSW or ask your Club why they didn't nominate the girls you refer to.
    I'm flattered that you've made the effort to join the forum to make your one solitary post from over a week ago to reply to mine... thank you.

I don't expect NNSW to have eyes at all games every weekend... but if there is a team that has been winning consistently don't you think they should be taking particular interest in how that team is doing ? Especially not just from this year, but last year as well. Particularly, not just form the local comp, but how that team team performed at the State titles last year. It's not just one or two standout players for such success, the whole team performs as a a team !
    I do apologise for the comment on the FMNC player, she is talented, but is she better than others ? In my opinion... no. Are all the kids in the EJ teams the cream of the crop in this region ? In my opinion... no.
    I think there would be a team that can be put together from the WPL that would compete very well with the equivalent age EJ team.
    I'm not talking about my daughter either, the EJ system is not for her. I meant disappointed for other girls.
    Interestingly, the EJs (excepting the young'uns) aren't doing too well in that Sydney comp... does that mean this region is so weak compared to Sydney ?
    As for querying our club about it, perhaps I will, but I know there is "history" between NNSW EJ people and others that probably clouds things unfortunately.
    Just expressing my opinion, as you are entitled to yours. Looking forward to your post no.2 !!

Quote Originally Posted by Footyhead View Post
    I'm flattered that you've made the effort to join the forum to make your one solitary post from over a week ago to reply to mine... thank you.

I don't expect NNSW to have eyes at all games every weekend... but if there is a team that has been winning consistently don't you think they should be taking particular interest in how that team is doing ? Especially not just from this year, but last year as well. Particularly, not just form the local comp, but how that team team performed at the State titles last year. It's not just one or two standout players for such success, the whole team performs as a a team !
    I do apologise for the comment on the FMNC player, she is talented, but is she better than others ? In my opinion... no. Are all the kids in the EJ teams the cream of the crop in this region ? In my opinion... no.
    I think there would be a team that can be put together from the WPL that would compete very well with the equivalent age EJ team.
    I'm not talking about my daughter either, the EJ system is not for her. I meant disappointed for other girls.
    Interestingly, the EJs (excepting the young'uns) aren't doing too well in that Sydney comp... does that mean this region is so weak compared to Sydney ?
    As for querying our club about it, perhaps I will, but I know there is "history" between NNSW EJ people and others that probably clouds things unfortunately.
    Just expressing my opinion, as you are entitled to yours. Looking forward to your post no.2 !!
    I have only been able to get along this year to one game of the emerging jets in the sydney competition but in all grades the level of competition is miles and miles above the level of the league up here.I also got out to watch a game on a Tuesday night after Easter which was between the emerging jets 13 girls who have won 2 and lost 1 in their u13 competition and the Thornton 14 girls who have won 7 out of 7 by some big margins in some games in our u14 competition. I believe the score was 7-0 or 8-0 to the emerging jets squad. There might be a few players who would do well and your club should be nominating these players to get an opportunity to train with the EJ squads like some players from clubs and other areas already are!

Well said whataday. With no disrespect to the WPL competition, it is not anywhere near the standard of the Premier 1 Sydney comp. It would maybe go ok in Premier League 2 and would dominate State League, which is the FNSW third division. Every comp needs to start somewhere, and introducing 14 and 16 Girls divisions to WPL this season is a step in the right direction. Most people would be unaware that the only EJets team that plays in their correct age group is the 13 girls, hence they are winning their share of games. 15 Girls play in 17's and 17's play in First Grade. Many of the Sydney teams in the Women's division, are largely comprised of WOMEN, not 15,16 and 17 year old girls. They also boast current Matilda's, ex Matildas, ex FNSW Institute players, current and past W League players and established "name" players from the Sydney comp. Quite a few of these ladies are paid to play and are semi professional. EJets is comprised of school kids. FYI- Jets 17 girls beat Blacktown Spartans First Grade 1-0 Sunday in a fast paced game. You could put a team together from the best players in WPL and they would be competitive against EJets, but any of the Sydney teams (with the exception of Central Coast) would flog them. Sorry if that's harsh, but I've been involved in the Sydney competition for many years, and it's a no brainer. They have more players to choose from and less distance to be covered than we do in NNSW.

Do yourself a favour, anyone involved in WPL, get over to Speers Point in a couple of weeks time, and have a look at the EJets games. If you can put your hand on your heart, and tell me that they aren't a better standard of player, then you're living in fantasy land.

The Hunter girls also won the CHS State Titles for the first time in 24 years last week. The team was made up of mainly EJets girls, with a few of our better WPL girls thrown in, and I've been told they dominated the Sydney sides all week. We have also got 2 girls away with the Young Matildas at the moment, one of which scored the goal the other night to get the team into the semi finals. NNSW turns out some of the best female footballers around. The conspiracy theories have been around for years, as they are in Sydney with FNSW, but do you really think any "elite" program would ignore players with potential, particularly when the programs are judged on what players they produce to play at State and National levels? Really? Footyhead, you are clearly not aware of what goes on with these "elite" programs, or you wouldn't make that statement. Could it be more a case that your Club is telling girls they are better off staying with the Club than being involved in the EJets? Has that scenario ever crossed your mind? Worth tossing into the mix? Have you asked why the girls weren't nominated for the recent trials? Surely no coach, no matter what their "history" with NNSW is would begrudge their player having a shot?

Do the selectors get it right every time? Probably not...they are human after all, and I dare say that even your Club makes the wrong call sometimes Footyhead? Kids develop at different rates, cope with challenges differently, and some drop out very quickly. Some thrive and love every minute. That's life. That's what ensures that the tough and determined succeed and those that can't cope (for whatever reason) play at another level. There is nothing wrong with that, as not everyone is going to play for Australia, and we need different levels in football (and life).

I normally don't participate in these "discussions", hence the reason this is only my second,albeit rather lengthy post, but I hate to see a kid being cut down by an adult, that clearly has an axe to grind with NNSW and EJets. Let the girl from FMNC enjoy being selected in the team and keep your derogatory comments to your self. How would you like it if someone made those comments about your child? Even your apology is half hearted and you clearly begrudge the girl a spot in the team. And as whataday says, get the Club to make the call to NNSW, to have a look at your 16 girls players. That's if you are fair dinkum in wanting to see them progress to the "elite" level?
    Last edited by flubber; 06-05-2015 at 12:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by flubber View Post
    Well said whataday. With no disrespect to the WPL competition, it is not anywhere near the standard of the Premier 1 Sydney comp. It would maybe go ok in Premier League 2 and would dominate State League, which is the FNSW third division. Every comp needs to start somewhere, and introducing 14 and 16 Girls divisions to WPL this season is a step in the right direction. Most people would be unaware that the only EJets team that plays in their correct age group is the 13 girls, hence they are winning their share of games. 15 Girls play in 17's and 17's play in First Grade. Many of the Sydney teams in the Women's division, are largely comprised of WOMEN, not 15,16 and 17 year old girls. They also boast current Matilda's, ex Matildas, ex FNSW Institute players, current and past W League players and established "name" players from the Sydney comp. Quite a few of these ladies are paid to play and are semi professional. EJets is comprised of school kids. FYI- Jets 17 girls beat Blacktown Spartans First Grade 1-0 Sunday in a fast paced game. You could put a team together from the best players in WPL and they would be competitive against EJets, but any of the Sydney teams (with the exception of Central Coast) would flog them. Sorry if that's harsh, but I've been involved in the Sydney competition for many years, and it's a no brainer. They have more players to choose from and less distance to be covered than we do in NNSW.

Do yourself a favour, anyone involved in WPL, get over to Speers Point in a couple of weeks time, and have a look at the EJets games. If you can put your hand on your heart, and tell me that they aren't a better standard of player, then you're living in fantasy land.

The Hunter girls also won the CHS State Titles for the first time in 24 years last week. The team was made up of mainly EJets girls, with a few of our better WPL girls thrown in, and I've been told they dominated the Sydney sides all week. We have also got 2 girls away with the Young Matildas at the moment, one of which scored the goal the other night to get the team into the semi finals. NNSW turns out some of the best female footballers around. The conspiracy theories have been around for years, as they are in Sydney with FNSW, but do you really think any "elite" program would ignore players with potential, particularly when the programs are judged on what players they produce to play at State and National levels? Really? Footyhead, you are clearly not aware of what goes on with these "elite" programs, or you wouldn't make that statement. Could it be more a case that your Club is telling girls they are better off staying with the Club than being involved in the EJets? Has that scenario ever crossed your mind? Worth tossing into the mix? Have you asked why the girls weren't nominated for the recent trials? Surely no coach, no matter what their "history" with NNSW is would begrudge their player having a shot?

Do the selectors get it right every time? Probably not...they are human after all, and I dare say that even your Club makes the wrong call sometimes Footyhead? Kids develop at different rates, cope with challenges differently, and some drop out very quickly. Some thrive and love every minute. That's life. That's what ensures that the tough and determined succeed and those that can't cope (for whatever reason) play at another level. There is nothing wrong with that, as not everyone is going to play for Australia, and we need different levels in football (and life).

I normally don't participate in these "discussions", hence the reason this is only my second,albeit rather lengthy post, but I hate to see a kid being cut down by an adult, that clearly has an axe to grind with NNSW and EJets. Let the girl from FMNC enjoy being selected in the team and keep your derogatory comments to your self. How would you like it if someone made those comments about your child? Even your apology is half hearted and you clearly begrudge the girl a spot in the team. And as whataday says, get the Club to make the call to NNSW, to have a look at your 16 girls players. That's if you are fair dinkum in wanting to see them progress to the "elite" level?
    love it

I think my original point may have taken a different interpretation to that intended… it wasn’t about the EJ, it wasn’t about playing for the EJ, but moreso selections for the Nationals. The EJ teams generally do represent the best players around and the National squad should obviously be made up of EJ. My previous post was probably too presumptious in a local team matching them, albeit based on results from last year’s State Titles and the local competition. I was thinking… if they report that there were around 60-70 kids trialling for the two teams 13s and 15s, where did these kids come from? Do you know why there is no invitational side this year ? If the EJ have invited girls in to train, perhaps they could have maintained an invitational side ?
    If my previous comments about any FMNC players or others appeared derogatory, I apologise, it wasn’t my intention. I was pointing out an example, not attacking any girl personally. Flubber, to say I begrudge a particular girl and that I’m an adult cutting down a kid is ridiculous, I wish her the best in her footballing and the Nationals. Take that as genuine well wishing, not half-hearted if you’re thinking that.
    Great that Hunter won the CHS titles and also for the girls who made the Matildas team… of course there are girls who can reach great heights (there should be for a region of this size) and they fully deserve every accolade for their hard work.
    Do women play in the Sydney 15,16,17 comp? How is that allowed? Playing in the Sydney comp nevertheless will improve our rep teams… although many experienced seniors from here play there too, which takes away from our local comp… it’s hard trying to elevate the local standard yet at the same time expose our best players to an external higher standard.
    There’s always going to be “conspiracy theories”, both at club level and rep level, but also knowing some historical facts, I am hoping the people now in charge have an improved, considered prospect for all footballers, both girls and boys, and the Northern side improves on previous years at the Nationals.
    Back to the local scene, 16s & 18s games between South Wallsend and FMNC declared washouts today, just before kick-off time with both teams raring to go (14s played). Extremely frustrating to say the least for the FMNC people who travelled from as far as Port and beyond… darn rain

Been awhile with since a post but with all the commotion and entering the final third of the season thought there would be a bit more chatter.

Warners Bay fired their coach after a loss to FMNC, which will throw a few things in disarray.

Wallsend 1st grade coach stepped down apparently due to a disagreement over the expulsion of one of his players from the club. Was interesting to see that they didn't just appoint his son till the end of the season but are hoping to hire someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Goatscheese View Post
    Been awhile with since a post but with all the commotion and entering the final third of the season thought there would be a bit more chatter.

Warners Bay fired their coach after a loss to FMNC, which will throw a few things in disarray.

Wallsend 1st grade coach stepped down apparently due to a disagreement over the expulsion of one of his players from the club. Was interesting to see that they didn't just appoint his son till the end of the season but are hoping to hire someone else.
    what is he general consensus with the WPL this year with the introduction of Wallsend, South Wallsend and Warners Bay? has it made the competition any better at all, or has it just watered down the talent pool into more teams resulting in a weaker quality of teams in the comp?

Quote Originally Posted by chocolate soldier View Post
    what is he general consensus with the WPL this year with the introduction of Wallsend, South Wallsend and Warners Bay? has it made the competition any better at all, or has it just watered down the talent pool into more teams resulting in a weaker quality of teams in the comp?
    I would think the latter. Surprised 3 new teams were admitted, instead of one. Suppose it's to expose a wider pool to the new Premier League but it's been a double whammy... Not only too many teams but also many senior players from last year (and even younger ones) playing in Sydney comp this year, reducing the numbers meaning younger ones having to play up which is good for experience but then also makes them subject to fatigue and injury.

Quote Originally Posted by Footyhead View Post
    I would think the latter. Surprised 3 new teams were admitted, instead of one. Suppose it's to expose a wider pool to the new Premier League but it's been a double whammy... Not only too many teams but also many senior players from last year (and even younger ones) playing in Sydney comp this year, reducing the numbers meaning younger ones having to play up which is good for experience but then also makes them subject to fatigue and injury.
    Agreed
    From my casual observations which are mainly of 1st grade but I think in general there does not seem to be enough quality to fill spots
    I have watched quite a few 1st grade games and seen some lop sided scores and some players who just look out if their depth

Quote Originally Posted by Why Blue View Post
    Agreed
    From my casual observations which are mainly of 1st grade but I think in general there does not seem to be enough quality to fill spots
    I have watched quite a few 1st grade games and seen some lop sided scores and some players who just look out if their depth
    so how do you believe newcastle football should go about rectifying this problem? i know i have been to a couple of games and watched the 1st grade games, and am not overly impressed to be honest. rumours of former premier league players now running around in the local A grade comp are making that comp stronger these days also. why couldnt they have just kept the premier league to 6 teams for a couple of years and developed the now abolished womens zone premier league until the general level of womens football in newcastle became strong enough to start to field an increase in teams for the premier league level???

so how do you believe newcastle football should go about rectifying this problem? i know i have been to a couple of games and watched the 1st grade games, and am not overly impressed to be honest. rumours of former premier league players now running around in the local A grade comp are making that comp stronger these days also. why couldnt they have just kept the premier league to 6 teams for a couple of years and developed the now abolished womens zone premier league until the general level of womens football in newcastle became strong enough to start to field an increase in teams for the premier league level???
    Agree less teams would go a long way to strengthening comp

Like always stronger teams can attract stronger players weaker clubs struggle big time

Gimmicks like free rego only work for so long and really only harm the club

Agree less teams would go a long way to strengthening comp

Like always stronger teams can attract stronger players weaker clubs struggle big time

Gimmicks like free rego only work for so long and really only harm the club
    free rego??? that is a bit of plea to players isnt it?

i also wonder why teams have folded in the past? recently it was lakes, but teams from the original competition years ago like broadmeadow and cardiff are no longer around, anyone got any light they can shine on this?

free rego??? that is a bit of plea to players isnt it?
    Worse still the same club still charges their juniors !!!!!

Worse still the same club still charges their juniors !!!!!
    And are coming last in both 1st grade and 18s.

i also wonder why teams have folded in the past? recently it was lakes, but teams from the original competition years ago like broadmeadow and cardiff are no longer around, anyone got any light they can shine on this?
    I believe it has to do with the personnel in each club, whether there are people who support the female contingent. Adamstown do this well. CCB had a women's team for a couple of years but that fell apart as it wasn't supported by the higher powers. Also depth... back then, all it took was a couple of players leaving and the whole team starts to unravel. I'm seeing this first year of WPL as a trial... with three/four clubs vying for entry.. NNSW pretty much let them all in. Wonder what will happen next year...surely there couldn't be relegation like NPL ?

Relegation to what exactly, there is no more Zone Women's league.
    Middleby Gone

Lawrie Out