Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Computer nerds..

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    Not yet.

I did manage to get onto the ISP and they said there was a problem with my connection so they told me to unplug the modem and phone from the ports and they reset it at their end.

Since then the speed test is coming back at 6mbps. It seems to have solved it...for now. Norton's didn't detect anything in a scan I just did and the firewall settings appear ok.

Appreciate the response, Dunster.
    Hey Jitterpool, how's the misses, i mean connection? Wheres your nearest exchange?

Computer people.

NBN is about to launch in my area and I am looking for an ISP. I am wanting to go with a 25mbps package, Fibre to the Node.

Who do people use and had good/bad experiences? Anyone gone with any new start ups?

I'm currently with Exetel but I am looking at Communicate Mate as one option.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Computer people.

NBN is about to launch in my area and I am looking for an ISP. I am wanting to go with a 25mbps package, Fibre to the Node.

Who do people use and had good/bad experiences? Anyone gone with any new start ups?

I'm currently with Exetel but I am looking at Communicate Mate as one option.

Thanks
    The biggest issue you will face with NBN is how active the reseller is at upgrading CVC. Given how hugely expensive it is, most run at close to or over capacity intentionally and only upgrade when the congestion extends beyond peak time.

I am with Telstra and based on feedback on all kinds of social media (mostly Whirlpool), Telstra is amongst the best at upgrading capacity. That's not to say any of their service is better or worse than other competitors nor do they have any better engagement with NBN if (when, ugh) something goes wrong. Price wise, they're not as competitive as others and if it wasn't for an excellent bundle ($120 for 2000gb + Foxtel) and staff discount, I would likely be with someone else. They also have minimum 24 month contracts which a lot of people are put off by.

My brother has signed up with Aussie Broadband who have competitive prices, an all Australian call centre force (apparently) and no lock in contracts. Based on feedback on WP, they've glowing endorsements from just about everyone. https://www.aussiebroadband.com.au/r...l-internet/nbn

The biggest issue you will face with NBN is how active the reseller is at upgrading CVC. Given how hugely expensive it is, most run at close to or over capacity intentionally and only upgrade when the congestion extends beyond peak time.

I am with Telstra and based on feedback on all kinds of social media (mostly Whirlpool), Telstra is amongst the best at upgrading capacity. That's not to say any of their service is better or worse than other competitors nor do they have any better engagement with NBN if (when, ugh) something goes wrong. Price wise, they're not as competitive as others and if it wasn't for an excellent bundle ($120 for 2000gb + Foxtel) and staff discount, I would likely be with someone else. They also have minimum 24 month contracts which a lot of people are put off by.

My brother has signed up with Aussie Broadband who have competitive prices, an all Australian call centre force (apparently) and no lock in contracts. Based on feedback on WP, they've glowing endorsements from just about everyone. https://www.aussiebroadband.com.au/r...l-internet/nbn
    That's interesting about the upgrading of the CVC. Not something I had come across before.

The lock in contract does concern me when it's going to a completely new service - the "unknown". I've seen the network diagrams and I am right near the node which will hopefully help. I will look at Aussie Broadband - thanks Grim
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Are you certain of that? My brother has a node across the street from his place (Kotara) but he is connected to a node 3 blocks down the street and on a lengthy cable run.

Are you certain of that? My brother has a node across the street from his place (Kotara) but he is connected to a node 3 blocks down the street and on a lengthy cable run.
    It's an assumption - I had to request a Dial Before You Dig the other week and got the drawings for the phone line network. The phone lines ran around the corner from my place to where the node is located.

I could be wrong...it's been known to happen regularly.

It's an assumption - I had to request a Dial Before You Dig the other week and got the drawings for the phone line network. The phone lines ran around the corner from my place to where the node is located.

I could be wrong...it's been known to happen regularly.
    Mate, don't trust Dial Before You Dig.. They are simply a rough guide..
    I used to work there to make some extra cheddar when I was at uni..
    Its a bunch of dropkicks (no offence to all the mates and hot chicks I met there, haha) churning out maps to reach daily set KPI's.
    So long as you did a certain amount per day, they didn't care if you made mistakes or were completely wrong.. Quantity > Quality apparently..

Quote Originally Posted by Bon View Post
    Its a bunch of dropkicks (no offence to all the mates and hot chicks I met there, haha) churning out maps to reach daily set KPI's.
    So long as you did a certain amount per day, they didn't care if you made mistakes or were completely wrong.. Quantity > Quality apparently..
    Well there you go...Cheers Bon

I can totally confirm what Bon said. Engineer / Draftsmen friend reckons if you got a 4 year old drunk and gave them some crayons and a few A4 sheets they'd be able to come up with better drawings.

A lot of it has to do with where you live as well. I don't think I've met anyone at Belmont North that had a decent internet connection, or Belmont South for that matter.

My sister is at Belmont North and her download speeds are woeful - to the point that HD movies won't run let alone 4k movies.
    it's so bad my ADSL 2+ connection at Oakhampton was 6 times faster on download. [I'm on NBN now and it's better again].

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    A lot of it has to do with where you live as well. I don't think I've met anyone at Belmont North that had a decent internet connection, or Belmont South for that matter.

My sister is at Belmont North and her download speeds are woeful - to the point that HD movies won't run let alone 4k movies.
    it's so bad my ADSL 2+ connection at Oakhampton was 6 times faster on download. [I'm on NBN now and it's better again].
    That would be down to where your sister lives and what her ISP does for CVC utilisation. I'm about 700m from the node and the best speed I can ever get on FTTN is <60mb. NBN only guarantee something like 12mb and the guarantee has wording in it that basically translates to "you only need to get max speed for up to 30 minutes a day for us to meet obligations". NBN is ****ed.

That would be down to where your sister lives and what her ISP does for CVC utilisation. I'm about 700m from the node and the best speed I can ever get on FTTN is <60mb. NBN only guarantee something like 12mb and the guarantee has wording in it that basically translates to "you only need to get max speed for up to 30 minutes a day for us to meet obligations". NBN is ****ed.
    Not correct. Under the Australia Consumer Guarantee products and services need to be fit for purpose. Disclaimers such as you mentioned mean nothing. They simply rely on most people being too piss weak to challenge them.

Any ISP trying to convince a court that 30mins a day at 12mbit is a reasonable expectation to meet obligations would be bitch slapped quicker than they could blink.

I'm on a 25mbit plan and this is what I get speed wise:

Glad I'm not with Telstra.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 27-04-2017 at 06:52 PM.

Umm... that's the GOVERNMENT documentation. It has nothing to do with any service provider, it's part of the contract that all RSP's sign when they sign up to NBN Co infrastructure. Have fun taking on the government though.

And who you are with when you get on NBN is almost irrelevant, save for CVC over-utilisation.

Umm... that's the GOVERNMENT documentation. It has nothing to do with any service provider, it's part of the contract that all RSP's sign when they sign up to NBN Co infrastructure. Have fun taking on the government though.

And who you are with when you get on NBN is almost irrelevant, save for CVC over-utilisation.
    I agree.

It's called delegated legislation. If you have a connection that under performs you take on the ISP not the government. The reason you take on the ISP is because they are the ones you paid. The NBN / Government are responsible to the ISP not you.

I raised a shit storm about my connection and that's why I have what you would call a close to perfect 25mbit connection / service.

It took nearly a year but light enough fires under people and you can get them to do a lot.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 27-04-2017 at 10:00 PM.

This is the most interesting thing I've read for a few months. Thankyou for enlightening us!
    OK

I need some help from someone who has experience in audio mixing.

I have some audio that has a baseline hum to it. Its a piece of commentary. Listening to it on the PC it's fine, but listening to same file on my phone it is scratchy and overtakess the commentary.

I was wondering if someone with a specific set of skills wouldn't mind having a look at it for me or offering some advice? It's about 2 minutes of audio
    Last edited by Jeterpool; 18-09-2017 at 08:35 AM.

If you mix for an iphone its going to sound like shit on pretty much everything else. Find someone with some reference monitors and try it out - if it's still shit you will need a sound engineer to fix it as it's more than a simple mix issue.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    If you mix for an iphone its going to sound like shit on pretty much everything else. Find someone with some reference monitors and try it out - if it's still shit you will need a sound engineer to fix it as it's more than a simple mix issue.
    Thanks. It's funny that all my other recordings haven't had an issue but these 2 files have.

I will work on another option and see what happens but it won't be worth paying to fix. (It's a piece of commentary for the Championship Chronicles which isn't generating an income!).

Is it one of my clips mate - I know there is some hum when the levels are low in patches? If it is I can run it through Audacity and try to tidy it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    Is it one of my clips mate - I know there is some hum when the levels are low in patches? If it is I can run it through Audacity and try to tidy it up.
    +1 on Audacity - great program