Page 33 of 42 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: VAR - It's Football But Not As You Know It

Also: the backpeddling now claiming it was 'offside' seems to be falling apart as the ref gave a direct free kick and not an indirect as is the ruling yeah? Plus he sure didnt signal offside with his arm.

But did I not see that correctly?

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    Can anyone even remember the 'howlers' that occurred pre-VAR?
    The only one I recall that had any consequence was the Henry handball vs some team I cant remember.
    Only if England were involved.....Hurst, Maradona, Lampard.

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    Also: the backpeddling now claiming it was 'offside' seems to be falling apart as the ref gave a direct free kick and not an indirect as is the ruling yeah? Plus he sure didnt signal offside with his arm.

But did I not see that correctly?

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    You CANNOT bring in challenges. It would be used as a time wasting tactic by arsehole coaches one goal up with 5 minutes remaining and under the pump. They would challenge anything to relieve the pressure.

And I've had enough of this "not the VARs fault" crap as well. If the VAR was NOT being used at all we wouldn't be going through this grief. I've watched football for over 40 years and I have never seen such angst.
    Technology wasn’t available 40 years ago. It is now.
    There’s more money on the line than ever before.
    Incorrect decisions are costing people millions.
    All well and good for you and I, made no difference to me is WSW lost 2-1 or 2-0. Made a difference when a poor decision by linesman cost us a chance at a grand final, Chelsea fans will rue the “ghost goal” and not having technology.owners of clubs, sponsors etc have millions on the table and if you see 10 video replays indicating you were hard done by, then you’re gonna want correct outcomes.,

It CAN be a good thing. It can be good for objective things. Is the ball over the line, was he offside. For the subjective things of is this a foul, is this not a foul, it’s harder and much more grey area because in slow motion everything looks worse and referees are scared to neglect VAR evidence no matter how soft it is.

Devils advocate here, have there been any 100% incorrect calls by VAR?
    Sure there’s calls that go against the flow of the game and I definitely don’t agree with some decisions or reviewing everything.eg last week when we fouled bitch Nichols, he didn’t even care. He wasn’t claiming a penalty at all. VAR stepped in and says, hang on, when all this commotion was happenings around the ball, there was contact on Nichols in the box who went down. Penalty. Is the call wrong? No. Contact in box. Penalty. Is it ridiculous? Yes. Would referee have called it? No, he didn’t. Should VAR have intervened? No.

How do we stop these stupid interventions for things that take away from the spirit of the game? And leave it for moments like Rieras header when the linesmen correctly flagged offside (well done) but it was contentious and close. Where VAR works in the background and says That it was Correct call. Or hey, he was onside, that should be a goal.

I want referees to return to making decisions, and not thinking “we can check this later and come back”.

Quote Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
    It CAN be a good thing. It can be good for objective things. Is the ball over the line, was he offside. For the subjective things of is this a foul, is this not a foul, it’s harder and much more grey area because in slow motion everything looks worse and referees are scared to neglect VAR evidence no matter how soft it is.
    I've been saying this all along.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

OK - now it is getting silly. El Classico tonight and using VAR.

This article says.....bugger, just read it.

https://en.as.com/en/2018/10/27/foot...98_563008.html

Quote Originally Posted by mic22 View Post
    Such a protest would be interesting, but in that case VAR didn't work for "technical" reasons.
    Linesman didn't raise the flag.
    VAR could have overturned the decision.
    Without VAR, the goal would have stayed anyway, and we would have hoped there was some sort of technology to fix such a blatant error.
    So we would be protesting in favor of VAR, in a way.

I don't like the way VAR is being used in the game, potentially a great tool in SOME cases (ball over goal line etc), but this is ridiculous...
    The reason the linesman doesn’t put their flags up anymore is because they have been told to keep them down during close calls.

Quote Originally Posted by cobra23 View Post
    The reason the linesman doesn’t put their flags up anymore is because they have been told to keep them down during close calls.
    I used to think the same, but I don't see it happening too often

Quote Originally Posted by cobra23 View Post
    that's the bit I don't understand with it though, surely if a linesman makes a call, the ref isn't 100% sure, the VAR reviews (and makes up its own verdict anyway), it's not taking any longer or creating any more disruption than the current process, so tell the linesmen to do their job and call what they see, if it's overruled so be it
    Life isn't the same without Con... but it can only improve without Tinks...

The problem is if the linesman flags the game stops. If it is wrong you can't go back....this happened to Ali Abbas last season.

The VAR and the people using the technology are getting it right everytime. Maybe not right in our minds but certainly right according to the people handing them bags of money.

am getting a good giggle out of strikers throwing themselves to the ground at any contact in the box.
    Because even if the ref takes a look, the rules says illegal contact=foul=penalty right?

Playing the odds of getting a VAR look must be higher than actually scoring a goal.
    Pretty good approach if you ask me.
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Seems like I am WRONG

Funny thing about the non flagging offside, if it’s close, it leads to a corner, and then the team scores off it, it’s apparently all good :/
    Middleby Gone

Lawrie Out

hahahaha the Perth goal.

all the reviews in the world and the ref (and touchy) got it 100% right first time.

funny part is, i bet if they put the fine tooth comb over it they could have found a foul in the lead up play.

piss the VAR off.
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    Seems like I am WRONG

Quote Originally Posted by Retro Jet View Post
    Wow. Back to 2 all.
    Heading for 7 draws from 10 games.
    hopefully the talk next week will turn from the VAR onto more pressing matters like making the goals bigger.
    Seems like I am WRONG

oh wowsers, now they have dug up the Perth v Sydney match from a while back where VAR was used to officiate an incident that was exactly the same. Sydney player in an offside position blocks a defender who was trying to prevent a shot.
    Seems that THAT time, the offside blocker wasnt a big deal and the goal stood. Simply amazing that the technology was used 2 different times and we had 2 different outcomes even though the rule hadnt changed.
    Its almost like the humans using VAR are just as prone to mistakes as the bloke in the middle. But lets keep adding a layer of humans to confuse matters.

oh and it didnt go unnoticed that both decisions benefitted Sydney FC despite them being on opposite sides of each incident.
    #staywoke

i actually feel sorry for people who still want this VAR, it must be like being related to Ivan Milat and thinking you have to invite him to your wedding because 'he family'.
    Seems like I am WRONG

You've got it in one there, plague. The refs aren't infallible, the bunker guys aren't infallible. It's just an extra layer of people making mistakes.

Maybe VAR is a good thing but it's the inept officials in Australia who keep getting it wrong? It's hard to believe that some of these guys are full time paid professionals. I would be on a performance plan and out the door so quickly if I was that inept at my job.

In the off season these refs should be in europe doing training camps just like clubs send their teams

космонавт-исследователь boz-monaut's Avatar
    in the off season these refs should be shot in front of their families