Page 27 of 41 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 National Premier League thread

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    What game were you watching Yew Yew. Watching the game on bartv and Zadkovich was on the sideline managing Broadmeadow ??
    Was watching bartv too and 1st half the commentators kept talking about chris gallagher needing to sort Magic out. Second half RZ appeared and chirs gallagher not mentioned anymore. Was RZ there for the whole game? Did he get to the game late? maybe the comms team were mistaken. The main comms bloke didn't get there until the end of the 1st half

Heard the have already added Scott Pettit, Mitch Oxborrow and Alex Read for next season
    They losing anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Bizarre game at Edgy today

0-0 at HT

Jaffas go 1-0 up a few mins into second half
    Probably shading it

Edgy not really doing that much
    Cracking goal out of nowhere some calamitous defending and it 4-1 Edgy

Tie looks over despite Jaffas looking the better side for the first 60 mins
    Exactly my take on the game. Although a bit harsh on the defenders. Jaffa’s may struggle next week with the amount on players they are without.

Quote Originally Posted by Aegon View Post
    Exactly my take on the game. Although a bit harsh on the defenders. Jaffa’s may struggle next week with the amount on players they are without.
    Edgy best team in the comp, but so far behind the Jets it’s untrue. And Jets so far behind Sydney. And Sydney so far behind Japanese and Chinese teams. I’d love to see some investors come in and shake things up. Clubs in this area do their best, but they couldn’t even compete with NPL2 teams in Sydney. Need to shake up the whole thing.

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/why-...x-finals-flaws

An interesting article on NPL finals. I genuinely cannot get my head around the whole 'minor' premiers/grand final set-up. It makes absolutely no sense at all. A club could go the whole season unbeaten, come top of the league over 20 odd games and yet they are labelled 'minor' premiers (despite there being nothing 'minor' about besting all other clubs across the whole season). Another club, who may have come 4th and lost plenty across the season, hits a bit of form and wins a semi-final and final and are then labelled 'Premiers'. It's crazy.

I don't see why the two are not just separated. Whoever comes top of the league at the end of the season are the League Champions and should be celebrated accordingly. You then give the top-four finals teams (or top six if you want to add some interest) a separate trophy to play for (call it the NPL Cup or something) then let the winner of that have a different kind of glory.

You still get the cup final, the big final day etc, but the top team over the course of the season is rightfully celebrated as the best team in the competition. The team that wins the league and then goes onto win the cup can then celebrate a double.

No one remembers the 'minor' premiers, and everything seems geared towards the "grand final" which lessens the achievement of winning the league over the course of a whole season. I get this system is just mirroring the NRL and A-league, but some simple, subtle changes (basically just changing the language used and dropping the ridiculous "minor" and adding in another trophy) could really improve things.

Quote Originally Posted by londonboy View Post
    https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/why-...x-finals-flaws

An interesting article on NPL finals. I genuinely cannot get my head around the whole 'minor' premiers/grand final set-up. It makes absolutely no sense at all. A club could go the whole season unbeaten, come top of the league over 20 odd games and yet they are labelled 'minor' premiers (despite there being nothing 'minor' about besting all other clubs across the whole season). Another club, who may have come 4th and lost plenty across the season, hits a bit of form and wins a semi-final and final and are then labelled 'Premiers'. It's crazy.

I don't see why the two are not just separated. Whoever comes top of the league at the end of the season are the League Champions and should be celebrated accordingly. You then give the top-four finals teams (or top six if you want to add some interest) a separate trophy to play for (call it the NPL Cup or something) then let the winner of that have a different kind of glory.

You still get the cup final, the big final day etc, but the top team over the course of the season is rightfully celebrated as the best team in the competition. The team that wins the league and then goes onto win the cup can then celebrate a double.

No one remembers the 'minor' premiers, and everything seems geared towards the "grand final" which lessens the achievement of winning the league over the course of a whole season. I get this system is just mirroring the NRL and A-league, but some simple, subtle changes (basically just changing the language used and dropping the ridiculous "minor" and adding in another trophy) could really improve things.
    Premiers and Grandfinal winners is what they are trying to call things now, some people are a bit slow on the uptake. We only have grand finals and a finals series in Australia because the seasons are usually shorter then what we would all like and as a bit of a money maker.. whilst it is always good to win a grandfinal and the party after can be brilliant, I always find myself more worried about planning for next season then what’s actually happening in the finals..

Quote Originally Posted by YewYew View Post
    Edgy best team in the comp, but so far behind the Jets it’s untrue. And Jets so far behind Sydney. And Sydney so far behind Japanese and Chinese teams. I’d love to see some investors come in and shake things up. Clubs in this area do their best, but they couldn’t even compete with NPL2 teams in Sydney. Need to shake up the whole thing.
    Then how come they ran 3rd

Quote Originally Posted by onlooker View Post
    Premiers and Grandfinal winners is what they are trying to call things now, some people are a bit slow on the uptake. We only have grand finals and a finals series in Australia because the seasons are usually shorter then what we would all like and as a bit of a money maker.. whilst it is always good to win a grandfinal and the party after can be brilliant, I always find myself more worried about planning for next season then what’s actually happening in the finals..
    Premiers and grandfinal winners is a good start, but the problem is the two are still intrinsically linked, with the Premiers still looked at as ‘minor’ champs. A simple, clear separation of the two - with language making it clear Premiers are the best team in the league and the grand (cup) final is essentially another mini competition for the highest placed teams in the league - makes a massive difference.

Quote Originally Posted by londonboy View Post
    Premiers and grandfinal winners is a good start, but the problem is the two are still intrinsically linked, with the Premiers still looked at as ‘minor’ champs. A simple, clear separation of the two - with language making it clear Premiers are the best team in the league and the grand (cup) final is essentially another mini competition for the highest placed teams in the league - makes a massive difference.
    100% agree I spend a lot of time correcting people when they call 1st place over the season ‘minor premiers ‘.. I’m a big fan of no finals series so there isn’t any debate as there is only one trophy on offer. But as I said before whilst ever the season is so short I understand the need for a finals system, and the money it adds to Club’s is also a bonus. But as you said clear separation is needed. So maybe call it the ‘ post season cup’, with Top 4 all put in a hat drawn out to see who you play against, so other then being in the top 4 your season rankings is irrelevant to who you play. Then you could either do two knock out games or home and away games.

Quote Originally Posted by onlooker View Post
    100% agree I spend a lot of time correcting people when they call 1st place over the season ‘minor premiers ‘.. I’m a big fan of no finals series so there isn’t any debate as there is only one trophy on offer. But as I said before whilst ever the season is so short I understand the need for a finals system, and the money it adds to Club’s is also a bonus. But as you said clear separation is needed. So maybe call it the ‘ post season cup’, with Top 4 all put in a hat drawn out to see who you play against, so other then being in the top 4 your season rankings is irrelevant to who you play. Then you could either do two knock out games or home and away games.
    It sounds like we have a plan for the future. Who do I write to about getting this arranged? Stan Lazirides? Terry Venables? The Queen???

So is it u18s next year? Then reserve grade with some age restrictions or...

Quote Originally Posted by Imyourhero View Post
    This. I don't know how many age restricted players reserve grade will have though.

Quote Originally Posted by Imyourhero View Post
    No one knows because good old northern won't release what the grades are or what age restrictions apply until after the season.
    The typical bullshit that forever comes out of Eland and his cronies, how do you start planning for next season when you don't even know what aged players to start recruiting.
    They have had 3 years to work this shit out

Banned
    They have had 3 years to work this shit out
    Discussions to work out meetings to sort out 2020 will start after the grand final.

From the Herald

Charlestown coach David Tanchevski has quit, saying he can no longer deal with the political problems at the Northern NSW NPL club.

Tanchevski resigned on Tuesday night after a tumultuous few weeks in which an outside group has interviewed coaches and attempted to gain support from players while building a bid to take control of the Blues committee.

Charlestown president Dean Crossley stepped aside last week before new membership applications were rejected at a committee meeting. The memberships needed to be approved in order for the applicants to have voting rights at the AGM in two weeks.

Contractual disputes between Tanchevski and the club had muddied the waters further and the coach decided to cut ties on Tuesday.

"I had two years at the club and I thoroughly enjoyed working with the playing group and club there," Tanchevski said. "My intention was to stay at the club next year and I had signed a couple of players. The boys were all keen to stay on and we were looking forward to building off this year.

"I'd identified a couple of players we needed and we'd signed them, and we were looking forward to challenging for the championship, but unfortunately an outside group don't want me to be renewed for next year and I want to work with a committee I trust and have faith in and one I can work long term with, and it's clear it's not going to happen at this club.

"I'm going to move on and explore other opportunities."

The Blues missed the finals by two points this season and three in the campaign before under Tanchevski, who took them to the round of 32 in the FFA Cup for the first time in 2018.

Tanchevski's decision will likely clear the way for Cooks Hill coach Graham Law to take over. Law was believed to be the likely coach under a new-look Blues committee.

The club announced on August 19 that Tanchevski had agreed to stay on in 2020. The Newcastle Herald understands a contract was signed, but the club did not recognise it because it was not endorsed by the entire committee.

Despite that, the club were believed to be discussing a new deal with Tanchevski as recently as last Friday.

"I had seven years at the Jaffas where I had a handshake agreement with Chris Snedden every year and I felt full support from the committee every year, so I just can't work with the politics involved here," he said.

"It's unfortunate because the players all wanted to stay together and I thought we made huge progress over the last two years.

"I coach because I enjoy football and dealing with people and players, but I don't enjoy politics and I don't want to be part of a club with political problems."

Tanchevski led Jaffas to their first state league promotion, for 2013, and was that year named coach of the year after taking them to second spot on debut.

His departure will likely have an impact on and off the pitch at the Blues next season.

Tanchevski brought several players to the club, including some from his 2014 grand final-winning Jaffas side, and he also helped bring in new sponsors. He was a club sponsor himself through his business, Stone Real Estate.
    Internal club politics based on external personal grudges will severely impact Charlestown next season.

From what I have heard they'll need to replace several members of the committee, the Senior coaches (18's, Reserves as well) and face a lot of players looking at other clubs due to the turmoil.
    Adam Hughes has already moved to Valo and how many of the former Jaffas players Tanchevski brought with him will still stay?

I hope the vendetta against Tanchevski and getting him removed in the end will be worth the set backs this will result in. Charlestown may take years to get back to where they are now.

It appears the same type of turmoil resurfacing from a couple of years ago when President Hansen, & coach Foley try to over run the Tull / Wright committee. things then improved until Tull got out of control and white anted all committee and Wright left for Lakes. Now Tull gone but still controlling thru Standen. Lost connection with Club Azzuri, and major sponsor Charlie B.C. ego get in the way and things go pear shape.

Azzurri are gone. Will lose up to 9 of their first grade squad, all coaches plus all sponsors Tanch secured for the club.
    The same duo driving him out, are the pair who drove Prycey out to get Tanch in

Azzurri are gone. Will lose up to 9 of their first grade squad, all coaches plus all sponsors Tanch secured for the club.
    The same duo driving him out, are the pair who drove Prycey out to get Tanch in
    Wow, this is really getting bad, I hope Law is smart enough to work out NEW FM players aren't the answer to replace those walking out

Then how come they ran 3rd
    I think it’s fair to say that Edgeworth have the best coach, no other coach has the tactical preparation that Zane does, his ability to analyse other players and coach’s is 2nd to none in this comp

That said I bet most other coaches would love to have the time that Zane does

Quote Originally Posted by Walker View Post
    I think it’s fair to say that Edgeworth have the best coach, no other coach has the tactical preparation that Zane does, his ability to analyse other players and coach’s is 2nd to none in this comp

That said I bet most other coaches would love to have the time that Zane does
    Makes it easy for Zane since he doesn’t have a job