Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: National Yoof League 2013-14

It's a confidence & strength thing for Virgili. He backs himself to tear arse up the wing in NYL but is afraid to in the HAL. He's naturally suited to out wide - it's got nothing to do with being in the centre of the field.

He's Hoffman v2 - all the athleticism & pace in the world, afraid to use it on the big stage. Remember that burn and cutback for Heskey's goal last season? I bet he does that move every single week in NYL. But in the HAL he's always just touching back inside, always overly telegraphed with when & how he'll "attempt" to beat a defender, and usually refuses to meet the ball and lets it run past him - either to roll out or to turn what was a clear ball to him into a side-by-side 50-50 challenge.

My problem with Virgili is he's seemingly not getting any more confident when he's actually given his HAL shot (which is usually at the start of the season, every season). If anything he seems to regress in confidence. All it takes is a decent game by Warren (lol) or Jamieson on him and he just curls up in a ball till the game (or season) is over. The moment a wised up left back sees Virgili's name on the Jerks teamsheet, all they need to do is put in a couple of early challenges and talk a bit of cheek to him & they know they've won the battle already.

And let's not forget about his "shooting". His shots are weaker than Abbas used to attempt them. He's noticeably too comfortable in just hitting the target with a weak/feeble attempt of a shot than actually having a dig - which is especially needed against HAL keepers particularly when shooting from outside the box (which is what he usually ends up doing). As much as I rip on Michael Bridges' shots when they hit the corner flag, at least he puts some venom into his shots.

As a younger teenager (like back @ Edgy/NSWIS), Virgili was one of the better young players I've personally seen. He just hasn't kicked on from that. Virgili has/had the opportunity to do what Yeboah @ Brisbane did - use his raw pace & talent to just blow the league out of the water and seal an o/s move quicksmart. Instead, he's an in-and-out of the 9th place team in the HAL.
    OK

He started this season really brightly if I remember correctly, was one of our better players in attack, actually caused a threat.

But you're dead right he certainly seemed to shrink as time went on.

In my opinion our wide players were cutting in side to "recycle" the ball far too much. Goodwin would constantly cut back in and lay back to a CM/Back instead of taking his man on and hitting the by-line, same issue with Virgilli.

Both these players looked good when they were just straight up running at and past defenders ON THE OUTSIDE rather than constantly cutting back inside. Was this coached in to them? I guess time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by russjaybee View Post
    He started this season really brightly if I remember correctly, was one of our better players in attack, actually caused a threat.
    I don't remember this. Which games come to mind?

Banned
    PV4 has summed a lot of it up in regards to Virgili

Plays in the Yoof team and he looks like Messi. Deadset way to good for that level

Plays in HAL side and he looks like Brett Holman. Not good enough.

Hopefully a lot of the issues will be resolved now that GVE has gone. Zane always got good value from him in the Yoofs so hopefully will be able to get it from in the HAL

Contrast the last time he played HAL in Newy a couple of weeks ago.

Gets the ball 40 yards out. Left Back is 10 yards from him. If |Virgili puts the afterburners on and he gets to the byline and either is in a position to cross dangerously or depending on how well the full back could have went with him may even be into the box and able to draw out the centre half to close him down. Reality is the fullback can't keep up with him for pace but can only do his best to minimise the impact.

No Virgili gets the ball and runs infield.

In the Yoof though he would have been heading down the wing at a million miles an hour without a hesitation.

Confidence and belief seem to be lacking at HAL level and hopefully InZane can instil it in him.

Can't really blame Virgili too much. GVE constantly shafted him and would have knocked his confidence big time

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by militiamon View Post
    Good question.

Is it a positional/role thing?
    I've noticed for the senior team he is nearly always played out wide, and rarely gets the opportunity to drift into the centre (because that's where Heskey, Taggart, Bridges etc. play). Based on the number of goals he scores for the youth team, it seems to me like he must be coming into the centre and into the box more often.

I've watched barely any youth league games though, so I'd be interested in hearing what others think.
    Not really he still plays mainly on the right wide spot of the patented GVE 4-3-3. The Yoof team are much better at playing it than GVE's HAL side ever were!!!

As a result he gets more chances to score than HAL level. Half the time he shoots when he should be passing to Kale anyways.....

I'm thinking of going along tonight. Anybody else heading over?

Banned
    4-2 win tonight.

Thought Adelaide were the better side for the most part with us playing in little fits and spurts.

Down 1-0 after 10 mins when a shot was deflected wide of the despairing intitial dive of Solari and trickeled in the corner
    Adelaide in control. Jets mustered a couple of chances. Chilli hitting top of cross bar and post (should have scored both times)
    Kale got a flick on at the near post from close range that somehow the keeper kept out.

Second Half Adelaide on top and 10 mins in two rapid fire goals against the run of play saw Jets take the lead. Firstly Pavicevic running in the inside left channel got goal side and blasted past keeper. A few mins later and the Jets hit the lead they scarcely deserved. Chilli got wide on the right and raced away. Cut ball across trying to find teammate. Cut out by Adelaide defender. Kale pounced on loose ball shimmy one way shimmied the other. Showed some composure to unbalance defender before slotting past keeper from about 10 yards. FAPFEST ON

About 5 mins later and Adelaide leveled it up. Bloke got free on right and drilled it at goal. Solari let it get through/under him. Powerful shot but keeper would expect to keep it out.

Adelaide still controlling game without many clear ct chances their way.

10 mins to go and Pavicevic scored to regain the lead from a Chilli cross

With about 3 mins to go Nick Cowburn buried a shot from a left wing cut back to make it 4-2.

Bit of late drama with young Bilic seeing red. Adelaide got free on their left and as the ball was played across the goalmouth Bilic took out the bloke who had an empty goal with a desperate last ditch tackle. Resulting penalty was saved by Solari. Poorly taken low to his left.

Chapo played well and Chilli was his usual too good for NYL self.

Rest of the squad was the kids

Probably a very good win as for the majority we were second best and a valuable 3 points which puts us well in control of reaching the GF. 2 wins in the last 3 will do it

Thanks for the report.

Can someone explain to me why Chapman is being groomed as a CB ? I'd really like to see him play as a DM.

With respect to the game it was a lot of fun with some solid goals.

The Jets transition from defence to attack is quick and I think our pace up front was what got us the result.

Adelaide looked the more composed of the two sides but at the end of the day it's who scores the most goals.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    Can someone explain to me why Chapman is being groomed as a CB ? I'd really like to see him play as a DM.

With respect to the game it was a lot of fun with some solid goals.

The Jets transition from defence to attack is quick and I think our pace up front was what got us the result.

Adelaide looked the more composed of the two sides but at the end of the day it's who scores the most goals.
    Have seen Chapo play DM in the yoofs and he looked lost. Distribution not up to scratch and got caught on the ball too often.
    Bloke is a work in progress as a CD and I think he will be a damn fine CD in a few years time. Others are highly critical of him as he makes a few errors but I can see past this and see a player similar to a Zelic/Okon playing CD and bringing the ball out from the back with aplomb and style one day

Banned
    The Newcastle Jets have maintained their grip on second spot in the National Youth League, coming from behind to register an action-packed 4-2 win over Adelaide United at Wanderers Oval, Newcastle on Saturday night.

The game started at a frantic pace with the Jets creating some early half-chances but it was Adelaide who opened the scoring in just the ninth minute.

A clever pass from Jack Bladen put Ryan Kitto into space on the left wing. He sent a dangerous cross into the box where it took a deflection off a Jets defender and Reds striker Anthony Kosta was on-hand to steer his shot into the corner.

The visitors almost doubled their lead a few moments later when Kitto swung a free-kick from just outside the box narrowly over the crossbar.

The Jets looked dangerous going forward and created some promising chances of their own. Brandon Lundy saw his low shot well saved by Reds goalkeeper John Hall while James Virgili should have done better when he was unmarked inside the box, but fired his angled shot over the bar.

Virgili almost made amends just after the half-hour mark when he streaked away down the right wing and into the box where he fired a searing shot that beat Hall but smacked off the far post.

Down the other end Reds midfielder Nathan Konstandopoulos almost did it himself when he broke free down the left flank and then weaved into the box where he fired a right-footed shot that just sailed wide of the far post and the sides went to the interval with Adelaide leading 1-0.

The Reds had the first chance of the second half when Kitto cut a pass from the left wing to the top of the box where Bladen blazed a shot narrowly over the target.

The Jets started finding their measure and they equalised in the 55th minute when striker Radovan Pavicevic pulled down a floated long ball from Michael Kantarovski and then slotted his shot past Hall.

The home side took the lead just two minutes later when Virgili sprinted into space down the right flank before cutting a ball back for Kale Bradbery, who showed plenty of poise to take a touch before calmly steering his shot into the corner.

Both sides made a host of chances on the hour mark and it was Reds substitute Nikola Mileusnic who had the greatest impact when he scored with his first touch, firing a blistering right-footed shot from the edge of the area to the far top corner to make it 2-2 just after the hour mark.

The home side regained the lead in the 80th minute when Virgili again got around his man on the right wing and slid a lovely cross into the box where Pavicevic buried his second goal of the night.

Newcastle sealed the match three minutes before the final whistle with Virgili again the outlet. He took the ball to the byline before cutting back to the penalty spot. Nicolas Cowburn saw his first shot parried away by Hall but his was quick to the follow-up and poked home Newcastle's fourth of the night.

There was late drama when Jets defender Matthew Bilic was sent off after he pulled down Costa when he was attempting to score from a low cross just two metres out from goal. Costa stepped up to the penalty spot but saw his shot saved by Jets goalkeeper John Solari.

Newcastle Jets 4 (Pavicevic 54, 80, Bradbery 57, Cowburn 87)
    Adelaide United 1 (Costa 9, Mileusnic 61)

at Wanderers Oval, Newcastle

Newcastle Jets

1. John Solari (GK), 2. Michael Finlayson (14. Benjamin Hay 59min) 3. Connor Chapman (capt), 4. Thomas Whiteside, 5. Matthew Bilic, 6. Nic Cowburn, 7. James Virgili, 8. Michael Kantarovski (12. Andrew Paviak 59min), 9. Kale Bradbery, 10. Radovan Pavicevic, 11. Brandon Lundy (13. Beaudon McDonald 59min)

Subs: 20. Adam Pearce (GK).

Coach Jim Pascoe

Adelaide United

1. John Hall (GK), 2. Dion Kirk, 3. Shaun Harvey (Capt), 6. Jack Bladen, 7. Bruce Kamau (11. Nikola Mileusnic 58min), 8. Nathan Konstandopoulos, 9. Anthony Costa, 10. Ryan Kitto (22. Donovan Pollock 59min), 12. Christopher Skull (16. Jake Monaco 58min) 15. Matthew Bouzalas, 19. Daniel Bowles.

Subs: 20. Daniel Margush (GK),

Coach Michael Valkanis

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Have seen Chapo play DM in the yoofs and he looked lost. Distribution not up to scratch and got caught on the ball too often.
    Bloke is a work in progress as a CD and I think he will be a damn fine CD in a few years time. Others are highly critical of him as he makes a few errors but I can see past this and see a player similar to a Zelic/Okon playing CD and bringing the ball out from the back with aplomb and style one day
    In other words a sweeper.

The kid is a great footballer. Along with Chilli he's too good for youth but just not quite ready to star in A-league.

4-2 win tonight.

Thought Adelaide were the better side for the most part with us playing in little fits and spurts.

Down 1-0 after 10 mins when a shot was deflected wide of the despairing intitial dive of Solari and trickeled in the corner
    Adelaide in control. Jets mustered a couple of chances. Chilli hitting top of cross bar and post (should have scored both times)
    Kale got a flick on at the near post from close range that somehow the keeper kept out.

Second Half Adelaide on top and 10 mins in two rapid fire goals against the run of play saw Jets take the lead. Firstly Pavicevic running in the inside left channel got goal side and blasted past keeper. A few mins later and the Jets hit the lead they scarcely deserved. Chilli got wide on the right and raced away. Cut ball across trying to find teammate. Cut out by Adelaide defender. Kale pounced on loose ball shimmy one way shimmied the other. Showed some composure to unbalance defender before slotting past keeper from about 10 yards. FAPFEST ON

About 5 mins later and Adelaide leveled it up. Bloke got free on right and drilled it at goal. Solari let it get through/under him. Powerful shot but keeper would expect to keep it out.

Adelaide still controlling game without many clear ct chances their way.

10 mins to go and Pavicevic scored to regain the lead from a Chilli cross

With about 3 mins to go Nick Cowburn buried a shot from a left wing cut back to make it 4-2.

Bit of late drama with young Bilic seeing red. Adelaide got free on their left and as the ball was played across the goalmouth Bilic took out the bloke who had an empty goal with a desperate last ditch tackle. Resulting penalty was saved by Solari. Poorly taken low to his left.

Chapo played well and Chilli was his usual too good for NYL self.

Rest of the squad was the kids

Probably a very good win as for the majority we were second best and a valuable 3 points which puts us well in control of reaching the GF. 2 wins in the last 3 will do it
    On the balance of play, I'd say Adelaide deserved a point from the game. Was a pretty decent, high-paced game. Good way to spend a Saturday night, wouldn't mind seeing more NYL games under lights.

Jets looked a little off the pace in the first half. Quite a few of the players didn't seem to be up for it, as much as Adelaide were, which I found strange (seeing as though this was a very important game between 2 sides fighting for a grand final place). The midfield was a little sloppy and didn't adequately restrict Adelaide's midfield's on and off the ball movement.

In the second half, I thought the Jets midfield tightened up, became more compact and closed down Adelaide's space and passing channels. This saw Adelaide playing more sideways and backwards passes and forced the occasional forward ball which wasn't on, which allowed Chapman to clean up and turn defence into attack.

Agree with the above that the Jets transition from defence to attack was very quick and this proved to be Adelaide's downfall. It was clear that although Adelaide had most of the ball, the Jets were just content to tighten the midfield and play on the break. This suited Chilli as he was able to find gaps in behind that weren't previously there. He did ever so well in that second half and needs to carry that sort of confidence over to the A-League. He needs to believe he can do the same at the higher level.

On Bilic's red card, did he actually bring Costa down? I thought they both lunged for the ball as it was played across the goal line and their momentum saw them fall onto the ground. It all happened so quickly though, it was difficult to see. That's 3 weeks in a row now the Jets have finished with 10 men.

Good signs for the coming weeks that the Jets have shown they can fight their way out of tight, tense situations as I'd expect the next few weeks to be equally as tense (vs MVC, SFC, BRI). Exactly the qualities they need to have as a few teams fight for the last grand final spot.

Banned
    Big game for the Kids next weekend.

Play Victree Yoof who are currently 3rd and 4 points behind the Jets Yoof. A win for the kids will see them qualify for the NYL GF against Smurfs.

A loss will see it go down to the wire as the Jets have to still play Sydney away

Just wanted to say, good write-ups fellas. Appreciate anyone who takes time to attend and update us afterwards.
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperDyl
    You're funnier on the internet than you are in person.
    Quote Originally Posted by q-money View Post
    the NF law...the longer the thread stays open, the probablity that the thread becomes about joel griffiths approaches 1

Big game for the Kids next weekend.

Play Victree Yoof who are currently 3rd and 4 points behind the Jets Yoof. A win for the kids will see them qualify for the NYL GF against Smurfs.

A loss will see it go down to the wire as the Jets have to still play Sydney away
    Not sure if things have changed but there has never been GF in NYL isn't it first on points takes the title which is Sydney after todays game being 10 points ahead with 3 games remaining??

I believe there used to be a finals series but it was abolished a few seasons back. Only the regular season now.
    the NF law...the longer the thread stays open, the probablity that the thread becomes about joel griffiths approaches 1

no final series just a GF
    I hope he likes prison food.......and penis

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Fairgo View Post
    Not sure if things have changed but there has never been GF in NYL isn't it first on points takes the title which is Sydney after todays game being 10 points ahead with 3 games remaining??
    Media keep reporting a GF in NYL this season. Sure I even saw an article where Jets Coach(hard to say which one Deans Out Pascoe or In Zane) was talking about the eagerness for his side to stay 2nd to get to the GF