Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: FFA silliness: The protests and boycotts thread

Quote Originally Posted by GazFish35 View Post
    Gerard wheately won a sports journalism award a few weeks ago, yet his coverage of the issue on offsides was pathetic.
    What did you find so pathetic about it?
    From what I saw with Postecogolou on Sunday I thought he was quite benign about it all.

They both seemed to encourage fans to get over the media criticism as its nothing new or isolated to football.

I swear Wheatley was 'pro appeals process'? Did you hear differently?

I thought Anges comments about no one 'owning the game' were way more scathing of the behaviour of pretty much everyone involved.

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    I think it's great that I'll soon be able to catch an imaginary light rail into the ground to sit in the imaginary southern grandstand.
    watching the Jets imaginary midfield

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    watching the Jets imaginary midfield
    Bravo sir.

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    What did you find so pathetic about it?
    From what I saw with Postecogolou on Sunday I thought he was quite benign about it all.

They both seemed to encourage fans to get over the media criticism as its nothing new or isolated to football.

I swear Wheatley was 'pro appeals process'? Did you hear differently?

I thought Anges comments about no one 'owning the game' were way more scathing of the behaviour of pretty much everyone involved.

I thought his comments wreaked of assuming the whole protest was about supporting the 198, when it's clearly more than that.
    he also made the comment that brandishing the mainstream media as out to get football was wrong, that we should accuse them of such when its only 3 people in said media..... he seems to forget the RW doesn't decide what's front page news, editors do. There may well be more recognition of the game than there once was, but the coverage is still shallow and uneducated, but maybe that's just a refelection on all sports journalism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmac79 View Post
    I tend to agree with Gav.

Banned
    I thought his comments wreaked of assuming the whole protest was about supporting the 198, when it's clearly more than that.
    he also made the comment that brandishing the mainstream media as out to get football was wrong, that we should accuse them of such when its only 3 people in said media..... he seems to forget the RW doesn't decide what's front page news, editors do. There may well be more recognition of the game than there once was, but the coverage is still shallow and uneducated, but maybe that's just a refelection on all sports journalism.
    The coverage of the game has grown out of sight in the last 20 years from the media in this country.

Problem is the journos covering the game are wither not football tragics and have another code they love or are football tragics but lousy journos but have no idea what they are talking about when it comes to being able to getting the big issues out there in a balanced way.

When you do find someone who has the ability to do this they are not really speaking to the masses but an already established demographic of football fans

Agreed, so I thought Wheatley should have shut up in the issue and let Ange explain it rather than editorialize it by simplifying down too much an using the platform for what he thinks the actives should do, which was essentially shit the **** up and stop complaining..... Which if he had any idea what we are complaining about he'd have not simplified it incorrectly.

Yeah, the comment about 'standing with the 198' was in reference to a sign at the SFC game. It was the same logic used by a lot of commentators when this popped up on the news:

Sadly with increased exposure comes increased scrutiny. football is still such a long way from the debate around of AFL and NRL its not funny. and yes the fans of those sports have been the subject of many inches of column space (remember when all AFL fans were racists if they booed Adam Goodes?).

and do we really want sympathetic reporting all the time? doesn't that just end up like politics where everyone has a 'side' and thats the only angle you get? id rather people like Wheately discuss these issues from an outside perspective, I'm more inclined to learn something from him rather than an Andy Paschalidis type who just says that every is rose 24/7 and football has nothing to worry about.
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Seems like I am WRONG

Not after sympathetic reporting, just balanced.

Not after sympathetic reporting, just balanced.
    Yeah I honestly think across all media platforms the coverage is balanced.

Opinions and all that though.

it's never as bad as it sounds and it's never as good as it sounds.

David Squires sums things up in a humorous way.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/pic...e-fan-protests

Hoping the meeting tonight goes well. I don't feel like continuing to boycott. What is important is that there are 8-9/10 clubs on the same page looking for a deal. The cause will go with the majority.
    Go jetties

Meeting in its fourth hour now Gatty tweeted
    Dare to Zlatan

Originally Posted by Grimario

He won't make that mistake at Newcastle since our team is full of number 2's.

Quote Originally Posted by lquiquer View Post
    Meeting in its fourth hour now Gatty tweeted
    prob still arguing which supporter group gets to wear the light blue shirts to the meeting
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Seems like I am WRONG

NT & RBB have the nads to continue the boycott, i don't reckon anyone else will and the whole thing will fall apart and everyone ends up worse off as compared to where they started

lowy wins, as always, ergo the cove

RBB and NT throughout this whole shitfight seem too keen to flex their muscle.

I hope they realize the FFA conceded some ground and the timelines they've been calling for have been ridiculous.

If they want to continue The boycott I hope the other 8 groups tell them to get ****ed.

Please please please tell me someone invoked the Geneva convention.

RBB and NT throughout this whole shitfight seem too keen to flex their muscle.

Remember its they who have the most to lose and gain. The minnow clubs are being dragged along but given the impression that they are something.

Quote Originally Posted by hawk View Post
    Remember its they who have the most to lose and gain. The minnow clubs are being dragged along but given the impression that they are something.
    first point true. 2nd point incorrect. all clubs were equally involved and represented that way. I think furns would agree that we weren't dragged along through this.
    Quote Originally Posted by militiamon View Post
    Body gets Stretch drunk, miracle occurs.

Hail Body!

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/35...-from-boycott/

Also did interviews earlier today with ABC Newy & KOFM for their news grabs. Hopefully it gave ppl a little more info,
    Sorry we couldn't be more forthcoming during some stages of the process but we needed to ensure that info we were working on in conjunction with the other groups didn't leak out to the FFA before the meeting. They were a little taken aback I think with the organisation & preparation that we went into the meeting with.
    This will also help us down the track as the FFA have now indicated they would like meetings on a more regular basis.
    Subscribe to The Jetstream Podcast http://www.newcastlefootball.net/podcast

Well done Furns. Great work
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Good stuff Furns