Page 8 of 76 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast

Thread: Daily Australian News Thread 2016

Malaysian team would signal the end of my envolvement with the aleague
    Go jetties

Quote Originally Posted by belchardo View Post
    weak argument, why is helping NZ ok, but not malaysia? there is probably just as many malaysian links as their are NZ links.
    Um Andrew Durante, Blake Powell, Nathan Burns, Vince Lia etc. all Aussie players plying their trade with the Nix over the years. Reports are suggesting that the Malaysian side would just be fielding local players...big difference!

Quote Originally Posted by stopper2 View Post
    Um Andrew Durante, Blake Powell, Nathan Burns, Vince Lia etc. all Aussie players plying their trade with the Nix over the years. Reports are suggesting that the Malaysian side would just be fielding local players...big difference!
    And had the Nix been an Australian entity they and more Australians would have gotten a run, So belchardo's point still stands.
    Quote Originally Posted by #fixsmithpark View Post
    I'M GULLIBLE!

And Dura now qualifies to play for the allwhites
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmac79 View Post
    I tend to agree with Gav.

Quote Originally Posted by Premy View Post
    And had the Nix been an Australian entity they and more Australians would have gotten a run, So belchardo's point still stands.
    yep

A-League is in crisis at the moment IMO

Ratings are pathetic compared to NRL, AFL, BBL, even the WBBL.

The next TV deal was meant to secure the future of the clubs, but with such poor ROI for Fox, it makes you wonder what the next deal will be.

Meanwhile crowds and largely down, and the league has no significant star power. The Socceroos cannot be expected to lift interest in the HAL either, as the NT is in decline with the GG gone bar for Timmy who's the only person carrying the NT at the moment.

As usual the large grassroots support for the code means nothing at a commercial level, and the FFA only uses grassroots as a money spinner anyway with no $$ coming back down the pyramid.

The momentum of the ADP s1 and arrival of WSW has been lost and the HAL seems to be lurching towards another dire season akin to that of GCU's last season. The CCMs aren't much better than either the NQF or GCU, despite a solid on-field record for 10 years.

We need a circuit breaker, either in the form of a big name marquee in the league or some additional interest via promotion/relegation or new clubs. Its stagnant at the moment and the only time we hit the news in a serious way is for crowd misbehaviour.

Quote Originally Posted by RAM View Post
    A-League is in crisis at the moment IMO

as the NT is in decline
    Geez Rebecca hold your horses.
    Bit OTT yeah?

National team only a year removed from winning the Asian cup and generally lauded as playing the best football in a decade all the while unearthing a mass of exciting new talent.

Love the use of abbreviations though KUTGW.

Cheers,
    Plague.

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    Geez Rebecca hold your horses.
    Bit OTT yeah?

National team only a year removed from winning the Asian cup and generally lauded as playing the best football in a decade all the while unearthing a mass of exciting new talent.

Love the use of abbreviations though KUTGW.

Cheers,
    Plague.
    You think our NT is better now than in 2010, 2006 or 2002?

Winning the Asian Cup at home was always a must.

You think our NT is better now than in 2010, 2006 or 2002?

Winning the Asian Cup at home was always a must.
    If you combined playing style + results + potential I'd put the current era only behind that '06 team.

Plus compared to 2010 we are a much better team so that's why I objected to your use of the word 'decline'.

(Of course all arguments based on my opinion).

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    If you combined playing style + results + potential I'd put the current era only behind that '06 team.

Plus compared to 2010 we are a much better team so that's why I objected to your use of the word 'decline'.

(Of course all arguments based on my opinion).
    style

we lost every game in 2014 WC and are behind Jordan in qualifying

we now have very few players in any of the top leagues

our youth teams have missed the Olympics twice in a row and won 1 in 6 in qualifying

style

we lost every game in 2014 WC and are behind Jordan in qualifying

we now have very few players in any of the top leagues

our youth teams have missed the Olympics twice in a row and won 1 in 6 in qualifying
    We are top of our table in qualifying.

We finished same points after 3 pool games at 2006 and 2010 World Cups, you saying teams were equal?

You prefer Pim and Holgers' way of playing vs Ange? Cool if you do. I don't.

Players in big leagues? Not sure that's a measure of any team success or else countries like England would be much better yeah? All their top players play in the biggest league in the world don't they?

How many leagues do you consider 'top leagues'?

I'm not arguing youth team results. From brief memory do we ever have success at both levels at same time? When we were making semis of world youth cups pretty sure seniors were still missing out on WC qualification.

Crisis is the most overused term in modern sport.

And despite the boycotts and how unsafe it is for families (apparently) the crowds are averaging 600 less than last season, there's a Sydney derby this weekend and the run in to the finals is coming up, so crowd numbers aren't in "crisis"
    Last edited by GazFish35; 16-02-2016 at 12:41 PM.

brutally rapes small, cute dogs parksey's Avatar
    the a-league needs to be able to stand on its own without gimmicks and marquees.

the standard of football is probably the best it's ever been in this country and the crowds have been solid if unspectacular.

fair point about ratings but hopefully that will grow.
    Quote Originally Posted by snake View Post
    bridges made the world in 6-8 wks

he then rested by the corner flag and all was gud
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Stubbins
    Hopefully it’s the four players, but, if not, the three, and if not, the two.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maito Mitch View Post
    Do you ever get bored of sprouting the same old crap? You're about as predictable as the punishment on the field we sit through once a week

In terms of 'marquees' and 'big names' the FFA needs to do a much better job of advertising the talent we have rather than chasing a name elsewhere.

Fornaroli* is as good as anyone who's played here, same with Broich and Berisha.

We need to celebrate those blokes better rather than sit on our hands til the next ADP/Heskey comes along.

* there's no chance I've spelt that correctly is there?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BB13_4Giku_/

Cahill leaves his Chinese club..

Cmon FFA, make it happen

victory get the same penalties as wanderers.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-02-1...uction/7175706

whole competition is on notice now.

you'll laugh, you'll cry, and then you'll think.

Newcastle Jets: Northern NSW Football recalls David Eland from A-League job

NEWCASTLE Jets chief executive David Eland will step down from the role at the end of the A-League season.

Eland, who has been acting in an interim role at the club since August while maintaining his position as Northern NSW Football chief executive, said on Thursday that the NNSWF board had asked him to relinquish the A-League job.

“My board has drawn a line in the sand at the end of the current A-League season,” Eland said in an interview with the online Daily Football Show.

“They’ve been extremely supportive since August, but they’ve determined that at the end of the A-League season they’d like me back in my Northern role full-time, which is fair enough.

“At that point the FFA’s going to have some decisions to make whether they appoint another interim or whether just try and make do until at least they know what’s going on with the ownership.”

The FFA is trying to negotiate the sale of the Jets, possibly to Chinese businessman Martin Lee, after taking away Nathan Tinkler’s licence last year. Eland said he was not directly involved in those negotiations but reiterated that the most important characteristic of any future owner was that he was prepared to invest in the club.

“The good news for the club is that there is genuine interest in the club, which is great,” he said. “I’m well aware of the reports around Mr Lee being in Australia etcetera and showing interest in the Jets. Certainly there seems to be a real interest in football, which is great, and a preparedness to invest, which is even better . . . .

“There’s been a concentrated effort to get back engaged with the community. It’s so important that any owner understand that and they are prepared to continue the great work that the club’s done since the licence was taken away from the Hunter Sports Group.”

Eland said the club needed an investor who could take advantage of all the concessions available under the A-League salary cap, although he said the Jets would exceed the cap this season.

He told the Herald that the sale of defender Lee Ki-je had allowed the club to sign Morten Nordstrand and Steven Ugarkovic and shift wages for Ben Kantarovski and Ben Kennedy outside the cap under the concession for home-grown players.

But the Jets did not have enough funding for marquee players and operated with an off-field staff dwarfed by most other clubs.

“Leave the football staff out of it, there’s a staff of eight that are running this A-League club. The staff at other clubs would be three, four times that, so there is investment that is required off the field. It’s very fair to say that the club has not been resourced adequately for a number of years.”

“We want to service our sponsors better, we want to service our members better, but that all comes with resources.

“On the field, clearly without marquees it is difficult to compete with the powerhouses.

“There’s also so much more we could be doing to support the players that we have by improving their training environment, by being able to invest more in all the high-performance programs and services that other clubs have access to.”

Eland said he was preparing a strategic plan for the FFA, but “ownership’s going to have a big bearing on that”.

“An owner that comes in will have their own ideas,” he said.

Eland said the club needed to offer more to fans on match days.

“The other strategic pillar that I suggest the club needs to invest heavily in is entertainment. We need to provide a better match-day experience for our members and fans.

“Clearly all the research shows that when fans are coming to football or any other sport, they’re looking for an event.

“They want to be entertained from the moment they arrive. That comes with investment.”

He said the Jets would hold a second round of member and fan forums at the end of the season to gauge the club’s performance.

“There were a number of forums held immediately after the FFA took control of the licence, and what we’ve been trying to do is implement the great ideas that came out of each and every one of those forums.

“The establishment of the Jets in Business as an entry-level opportunity for local businesses, what we’ve been doing on match days, the initiative with the RAAF was absolutely essential.

“What will happen at the end of the season is that we’ll embark on that process again.

“We’ll invite our members and our fans to join us in the evaluation of season ’15-’16.

“We’re flat out running a football club at the moment, and we’ll go back to our fans at the end of the season.”
    that's a pretty revealing article. i take from it:
    - NNSWFF have greater pull in the area than FFA
    - our current CEO doesn't necessarily think FFA will replace him
    - we are clearly paying some players way too much if we are exceeding the cap
    - kanta and BK wages have not been partly funded through the cap concessions until recently
    - we are ridiculously understaffed and unresourced
    - they're still throwing out the forums as a sign of "engagement". i partly agree they are, partly think they're lip service

Quote Originally Posted by belchardo View Post
    - we are ridiculously understaffed and unresourced
    This is a point that has been needed to be made for so ****ing long it's not funny.

8 people beyond the football department!

WSW have 27
    Roar 30+

8 people...
    To get sponsors and keep them happy
    To get members and keep them happy
    To run match day.
    To deal with media.
    To support football department.
    To enagage with community.

I hope De'Bohun & Gallop is at this forum
    Quote Originally Posted by #fixsmithpark View Post
    I'M GULLIBLE!