Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 NPL Youth

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter403 View Post
    Its not an easy one. Consider also the points value of juniors that come through the ranks into senior football.

I think I would like to see an NPL 1 and 2 comprising 3 senior grades with promotion and relegation and all youth teams from both NPL1 and 2 in one comp, maybe divided into two sections in which membership varies each year. I think being in the NPL and NEWFM (NPL2) should have compulsory SAP as part of the deal.
    I'm not pretending to have any idea of how to solve this, however on your last point, I agree that the intention should be for every NPL club, be it NPL 1 or 2, should have a SAP program in place. This though would require a change in current concept in 9's and 10's. I know some current NPL clubs already struggle to field 2 teams let alone some of the smaller NL1 (NPL2) clubs. They may need to reduce all clubs down to one team so that there are more players available to trial elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Aegon View Post
    I'm not pretending to have any idea of how to solve this, however on your last point, I agree that the intention should be for every NPL club, be it NPL 1 or 2, should have a SAP program in place. This though would require a change in current concept in 9's and 10's. I know some current NPL clubs already struggle to field 2 teams let alone some of the smaller NL1 (NPL2) clubs. They may need to reduce all clubs down to one team so that there are more players available to trial elsewhere.
    You could well be right on numbers and concept. I wonder though, how many people are out there that are ignorant of the SAP programmes. There could well be suitable candidates out there whose parents have never heard of it. NNSW has every player's DOB and email address (or their parent/guardian) so surely NNSW could do far more and with relative ease to promote the SAP. I have suggested that idea to them in the past with a nil response.

Same applies to the NEWFM youth comp. Some of those NEWFM clubs can barely field sides in some ages. Wallsend 14s have just dropped out mid season. Last year, Awaba couldn't field a 15's side.

Why? Is it cost? Is it lack of visibility to the public?
    "It is not that I am afraid to die; its just that I don't want to be there when it happens" - Woody Allen

You could well be right on numbers and concept. I wonder though, how many people are out there that are ignorant of the SAP programmes. There could well be suitable candidates out there whose parents have never heard of it. NNSW has every player's DOB and email address (or their parent/guardian) so surely NNSW could do far more and with relative ease to promote the SAP. I have suggested that idea to them in the past with a nil response.

Same applies to the NEWFM youth comp. Some of those NEWFM clubs can barely field sides in some ages. Wallsend 14s have just dropped out mid season. Last year, Awaba couldn't field a 15's side.

Why? Is it cost? Is it lack of visibility to the public?
    100% agree with your sentiment. The only reason i found out about SAP for Aegon jr was by friends with older boys telling me he should try out for it. Although they were still thinking about the metro program. Had I not searched, i would never have known about it.

Northern should do a lot more to promote it.

On the flipside, we came from a junior club of about 300-400 kids and I do think 4 of the top 5 U/8 boys at the club joined SAP teams.

A big problem for SAP are the clubs themselves. They often have trials on the same night as each other, forcing kids/parents to choose the club they want to try out for. Then, if an offer is made, they give you 24 hours to decide.

I honestly think clubs should be forced to have trials on separate nights and kids be encouraged to trial at as many as they like. Or, maybe even joint trials across a couple of weeks, held somewhere like Wallarah. Clubs can then choose the kids they want, and kids have a choice. It’ll force the clubs to work harder for the kids and will also give the smaller clubs a better chance at recruiting. I heard Wallsend held U9 SAP trials weeks after the rest and had three kids show up. Presumably all the other kids had gone elsewhere by then.

Quote Originally Posted by londonboy View Post
    A big problem for SAP are the clubs themselves. They often have trials on the same night as each other, forcing kids/parents to choose the club they want to try out for. Then, if an offer is made, they give you 24 hours to decide.

I honestly think clubs should be forced to have trials on separate nights and kids be encouraged to trial at as many as they like. Or, maybe even joint trials across a couple of weeks, held somewhere like Wallarah. Clubs can then choose the kids they want, and kids have a choice. It’ll force the clubs to work harder for the kids and will also give the smaller clubs a better chance at recruiting. I heard Wallsend held U9 SAP trials weeks after the rest and had three kids show up. Presumably all the other kids had gone elsewhere by then.
    I heard very similar to what you said above - The teams who trialled late had way less players attend. Some clubs had to run secondary trials to try and get more kids.

Also, agree about clubs trialling the same night or same week. I had shortlisted 4 clubs for Aegon jr to trial at. 3 of them had trials in one week. I had to scratch 1 club straight away and get him to trial at only 2 of them. Both the clubs he trialled at had 50-60 boys in attendance.

Impossible for the clubs to coordinate this amongst themselves.

The only way to get around this issue would be to run a huge trial session(s) under the control of NNSW and run it like a draft where all the clubs attend top take their pick. Would it work? Probably not as it would be a nightmare to coordinate and you can imagine the "I saw him first" arguments
    "It is not that I am afraid to die; its just that I don't want to be there when it happens" - Woody Allen

Banned
    Impossible for the clubs to coordinate this amongst themselves.

The only way to get around this issue would be to run a huge trial session(s) under the control of NNSW and run it like a draft where all the clubs attend top take their pick. Would it work? Probably not as it would be a nightmare to coordinate and you can imagine the "I saw him first" arguments
    That would be nightmare but very interesting.

Im sure some club staff might already be interested in kids at other clubs. I didnt completely hear the whole conversation though.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Aegon View Post
    I know some current NPL clubs already struggle to field 2 teams let alone some of the smaller NL1 (NPL2) clubs. They may need to reduce all clubs down to one team so that there are more players available to trial elsewhere.
    I feel if a club can get 2 competitive teams than so be it. I now do not like the A B concept where the B is weak. That is a farce.
    Last edited by Negative Police; 08-06-2019 at 08:05 PM.

Banned
    draft draw round 2 done. not sure when being sent

U16 Charlestown City Blues lost to the Jets side 22-0

Not a good look for the competition

Quote Originally Posted by Goatscheese View Post

Agree.

Although Charlestown not the worst side in that comp, have won 4 from 14 and are clearly better than bottom 2 sides.

May be reasons, players away, injured etc., but that is a real flogging!

Not good for either team, wonder if Jets coach kept foot down or not

Quote Originally Posted by Negative Police View Post
    draft draw round 2 done. not sure when being sent
    I've reviewed the draw - They've definitely split the comp but I can't tell where the split has occurred. Aegon Jr's team only play 7 other clubs and play 4 clubs twice, however some of clubs they play have games against clubs that Jr's team hasn't played all season.
    Not complaining at all though, the clubs Jr will play against will all be very competitive games played at a high standard. Better for all the kids development in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by hamburgler View Post
    Agree.

Although Charlestown not the worst side in that comp, have won 4 from 14 and are clearly better than bottom 2 sides.

May be reasons, players away, injured etc., but that is a real flogging!
    Heard coach sacked. Major squad trouble etc. Someone confirm.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Heard coach sacked. Major squad trouble etc. Someone confirm.
    They've dropped a significant number of kids from that team every season from under 13 through til now. Never persevered with kids. I was told by one one the players that the coach told the boys at halftime that if they did not improve don't bother coming back. Maybe he meant it, maybe it was a tool to motivate them. Who knows, but probably not the best way to encourage 15 year olds.

Not sure if the coach was sacked but i believe he was removed as TD because he has no B licence.

They've dropped a significant number of kids from that team every season from under 13 through til now. Never persevered with kids. I was told by one one the players that the coach told the boys at halftime that if they did not improve don't bother coming back. Maybe he meant it, maybe it was a tool to motivate them. Who knows, but probably not the best way to encourage 15 year olds.

Not sure if the coach was sacked but i believe he was removed as TD because he has no B licence.
    Not good. Must be difficult to turnaround mid season. importance of keeping teams together cant be underestimated

Yes, it very clear the draw has been split based on results of the 1st round of games. I wonder if this will become a trend for next season - perhaps some kind of SAP1 and SAP2 system?

Does anyone know if there will be new teams added next year? Hunter Valley team? Cooks Hill?

Banned
    Yes, it very clear the draw has been split based on results of the 1st round of games. I wonder if this will become a trend for next season - perhaps some kind of SAP1 and SAP2 system?

Does anyone know if there will be new teams added next year? Hunter Valley team? Cooks Hill?
    Still applies only to NPL & NPL1 clubs although it's not compulsory. There's an U10 HV girls team already playing in U9.

Only guessing but if maybe there are too many clubs they might make it 1 team per club just like the 11's will be next year. Would be more competitive for mine

Banned

Charly then had a 0-0 with magic the next week. wow

Quote Originally Posted by Negative Police View Post
    Still applies only to NPL & NPL1 clubs although it's not compulsory. There's an U10 HV girls team already playing in U9.

Only guessing but if maybe there are too many clubs they might make it 1 team per club just like the 11's will be next year. Would be more competitive for mine
    From what I have been told, clubs have the choice to enter 1 or 2 teams in under 11 SAP next year.