Page 51 of 96 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 1903

Thread: The Music Thread

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    You think I'm stating a preference - but I'm not.

I can't come to grips with a lot of the Scando heavy metal stuff - but totally recognise it as innovative and progressive.

The shit I'm ripping into is derivative.
    oh well then thats when we get into a whole 'nuther discussion about what we believe 'good' music to be.
    i can appreciate the technical side to it, but the emotive side always draws me in more. and by emotive im only equating it to my reaction. it either hits me or it doesnt.

i got taught by a very technical guitarist and he swore by the old school shred gods. but man oh man it just never gripped me the way it did him.
    i admired the skill level no doubt, but some broke ass punk band could bust out 4 rusty cords, or Eddie Vedder and a 5 string telecaster could starting strumming away and id feel way more connected to it.

then we get into whether electronic music is actually music, or whether John Williams is the greatest pop musician in the history of the universe.

i always looked at my guitar teacher the way i looked at paintings. id stare at a picasso and he'd be all like "that guys head isnt even on straight".

dude was/is a legend, we got on well. but we were two different cats thats fo sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Seems like I am WRONG

brutally rapes small, cute dogs parksey's Avatar
    the killers' new songs are pretty crap tbh

but i've only ever been a casual fan of them. first album has some rippers, and i used to belt out 'when you were young' with my dad as a wee lad.
    Quote Originally Posted by snake View Post
    bridges made the world in 6-8 wks

he then rested by the corner flag and all was gud
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Stubbins
    Hopefully it’s the four players, but, if not, the three, and if not, the two.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maito Mitch View Post
    Do you ever get bored of sprouting the same old crap? You're about as predictable as the punishment on the field we sit through once a week

Plague was your guitar teacher Don Andrews?

Lucky if it was - one of the greatest and he was a lovely bloke as well.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 25-10-2017 at 11:18 PM.

the killers' new songs are pretty crap tbh
    I always feel better about my opinions when they sit on the other side of the people who voted ‘Pretty Fly For a White Guy’ as the song of the year back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    I always feel better about my opinions when they sit on the other side of the people who voted ‘Pretty Fly For a White Guy’ as the song of the year back in the day.
    Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. The Power Chord sequence to that song is awesome. Would have to be one of the most fun songs to play ever written - and simple as well.

then again......

Last edited by The Dunster; 26-10-2017 at 09:30 AM.

Oh I couldn’t give a toss about the song itself.
    It was the speed of the backpedal once everyone decided Offspring were no longer ‘cool’.

Much like a couple years back when we were told that Taylor Swift was illeligable for the prestigious award because she was ‘too commercial’ or ‘a sellout’ or some such nonsense but the same logic didn’t apply to the song that won that was sold to a multi national corporation to use as their jingle.

I won’t have those people tell me what’s good or bad.

Oh I couldn’t give a toss about the song itself.
    It was the speed of the backpedal once everyone decided Offspring were no longer ‘cool’.

Much like a couple years back when we were told that Taylor Swift was illeligable for the prestigious award because she was ‘too commercial’ or ‘a sellout’ or some such nonsense but the same logic didn’t apply to the song that won that was sold to a multi national corporation to use as their jingle.

I won’t have those people tell me what’s good or bad.
    Sign of the times I think. People want something as far removed from the shit reality of life these days - and Taylor Swift fits the bill for a lot of people. It's light, simple, and doesn't require any real effort to digest.

Every generation has their Taylor Swifts - young people hating on her now will one day be in their 40's and go - hey she wasn't that bad after all. Much like my Generation and bands like Bay City Rollers... et al

My mates would have punched the crap out of me for listening to BCR in the 70's - but now most of them would not have an issue.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 26-10-2017 at 12:26 PM.

Hey man I don’t see the difference between Taylor Swift and Julia Stone but yeah the cool kids will certainly tell me.

Taylor Swift is better looking.

Hey man I don’t see the difference between Taylor Swift and Julia Stone but yeah the cool kids will certainly tell me.
    Agreed. Both Whores for the music industry. If anything Julia Stone is worse because she portrays herself as an artist - which is complete garbage when you look at how hard her shit is marketed. Taylor Swift doesn't seem to hide the fact she's out to make a dollar.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 26-10-2017 at 03:01 PM.

Agreed. Both Whores for the music industry. If anything Julia Stone is worse because she portrays herself as an artist - which is complete garbage when you look at how hard her shit is marketed. Taylor Swift doesn't seem to hide the fact she's out to make a dollar.
    Thats a big thing. Ive got no issue with artists making a buck, but don't come out and try and hide it and portray yourself as something completely different.

If I like an artist, I don't care if they are commercial and chasing the $$$, but if they are obviously trying to pretend otherwise it makes it a bit hard to swallow.

Back to the Offspring though. I never had a problem with their music, but it just never held my attention which is funny as I did like other bands of the same Genre at the time (NoFX, Pennywise, Bad Religion, etc). I put Blink-182 in the same category as the offspring, didnt mind them but they just didn't do anything I wanted to listen to.

brutally rapes small, cute dogs parksey's Avatar
    That probably explains why you like the new Killers songs.
    Quote Originally Posted by snake View Post
    bridges made the world in 6-8 wks

he then rested by the corner flag and all was gud
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Stubbins
    Hopefully it’s the four players, but, if not, the three, and if not, the two.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maito Mitch View Post
    Do you ever get bored of sprouting the same old crap? You're about as predictable as the punishment on the field we sit through once a week

Quote Originally Posted by sammydog View Post
    (NoFX, Pennywise, Bad Religion, etc). I put Blink-182 .
    All had good rotation on the J's in the early to mid 90's. I have a few tracks from all these. Man being at uni during this time was something

That probably explains why you like the new Killers songs.
    haha hey man an old person once told me that 'ignorance is bliss' and sometimes im all good with that all you woke kids can come explain the world to me one day im over here listening to white people music tapping my toes.
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Seems like I am WRONG

Tonight Alive played at the Cambridge last night it was awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by lquiquer View Post
    Welcome to the circus ... And I can't argue any of your points... In contention for best first post of the year... ��

love at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by hawk View Post
    All had good rotation on the J's in the early to mid 90's. I have a few tracks from all these. Man being at uni during this time was something
    Not wrong. Listening to Double J at the moment and they are playing Live at the Wireless. Finished a You Am I set, then its straight onto Spiderbait.
    Takes me back, I tells ya.
    Subscribe to The Jetstream Podcast http://www.newcastlefootball.net/podcast

Spiderbait playing up in the vineyards now with all the other old timers.
    Life comes at you fast.

Spiderbait playing up in the vineyards now with all the other old timers.
    Life comes at you fast.
    The trick is to realise a band is shit five years before they play at the vineyards - not when tickets go on sale.
    The crowd at those events are more interested in texting /sending selfies to people they know - rather than actually enjoying the music.
    I'm a massive Who and Rolling Stones fan - but once they signed up to play the Vineyards it's like - do they even remember why they got into music in the first place? Surely it wasn't to entertain that crowd of cork sniffing oxygen thieves.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 04-11-2017 at 05:47 PM.

The trick is to realise a band is shit five years before they play at the vineyards - not when tickets go on sale.
    The crowd at those events are more interested in texting /sending selfies to people they know - rather than actually enjoying the music.
    I'm a massive Who and Rolling Stones fan - but once they signed up to play the Vineyards it's like - do they even remember why they got into music in the first place? Surely it wasn't to entertain that crowd of cork sniffing oxygen thieves.
    ah the whingeyards. Overpriced everything to catch the cashed up over tanned 40's and over crowed.

I love the bait but will need the pub route. gimme a sweaty throbbing hunter on hunter anyday. If the Bait play plastic think of the Membah