Page 31 of 61 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 NEW FM League Thread

Nests on the home dugout at Blacksmiths Oval
    Quote Originally Posted by JCBT View Post
    Cessnock's outer ground is far to small to host the Grand Final and West Wallsend's complex (while they have held it before) isn't up to scratch and with a very small group of volunteers it would be almost impossible for them to host it.

Why can't a side in the top 4 host it? Adamstown and Westy have both hosted the GF's while their first grade side was in it.

Maitland
    Big club with plenty of support from Old Boys and a strong committee that would easily host GF, the complex is currently having improvements and from what I hear extra seating is going in, good size warm up area and plenty of parking on (outside of complex on parkland), plenty of outer ground area for club marquees etc and plenty of work has gone into making the playing surface the best it has been in recent memory. Only problem I can see is the Fed wanting a Newcastle based Grand Final venue.

Toronto
    Much to my surprise the surface is still in very good shape and a very good viewing ground with plenty of outer ground area for club marquees etc but parking would be an issue and the old sheds are poor. Unsure about the size of the committee etc and ground sharing with the Scorpions could be a problem.

Valentine No issue with parking or size of club, plenty of outer ground area for club marquees etc but the only Issues I see is with the surface (cricket pitch) and the distance out of Newcastle.

Belswans
    Surface and complex not up to it

Thornton
    Complex not up to it

Singleton
    Distance from Newy and complex not up to it

My opinion is that the Grand Final should go to a club in the NewFM and not a NPL club so I can only really see Maitland, Valentine or Toronto being given the Hosting rights although the Fed may try to give Westy a helping hand by throwing it their way to give them some extra cash which I don't agree with.
    Good thoughts JCBT. Interesting comments in relation to Cahill Oval. Is the playing surface that bad???? No real negative comments this year as opposed to previous years in state league.
    I personally believe the GF will go to either Maitland or Westy. However, If the distance from Newy to Belmont is an issue, then surely the same applies to Maitland, Cessnock, Singo, Blacksmiths, Toronto, Thornton and Westy (to a lesser extent). Therefore I wouldn't rule out Zico and his mob running it at Wanderers. They have run them successfully in the past I believe, albeit in some other competition.

Quote Originally Posted by De-Champ View Post
    May go to Westy...one way for the federation to help out the club...that almost could not field teams at the beginning of the year
    Agree…. another way for the NNSWF to assist.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho_theswan View Post
    Good thoughts JCBT. Interesting comments in relation to Cahill Oval. Is the playing surface that bad???? No real negative comments this year as opposed to previous years in state league.
    I personally believe the GF will go to either Maitland or Westy. However, If the distance from Newy to Belmont is an issue, then surely the same applies to Maitland, Cessnock, Singo, Blacksmiths, Toronto, Thornton and Westy (to a lesser extent). Therefore I wouldn't rule out Zico and his mob running it at Wanderers. They have run them successfully in the past I believe, albeit in some other competition.
    I know the players wouldn't complain about it being at Magic but I'm a firm believer that it should stay in the NBN to assist a club who is putting in the effort. I personal would like to see Maitland get the Grand Final and I'm 100% against the fed giving Westy a hand out with hosting rights. The facilities were not up to scratch when I was there early this season and it would take a massive change to get them ready.

Quote Originally Posted by curious_fan View Post
    I wouldn't rule then out totally, there is more than ample parking and the car park at the top and leave the ground for officials etc. They have the two covered grandstands which are good and people can watch from the other side of the field as well. And the warm up area is very closely located but away from the playing area. And they are possibly the best for media (ie camera and reporting) with the second tier room above the canteen.

The area may not lend itself easily to maybe having marquees etc erected but really its NewFm not NBN.
    The ground isn't fully fenced so that rules them out on criteria and honestly, who would want to go there to play or watch a Grand Final?

Everybody is welcome at Wanderers my friend.
    We have the best of everything in the area so why not welcome everybody to enjoy it

The ground isn't fully fenced so that rules them out on criteria and honestly, who would want to go there to play or watch a Grand Final?
    i would think every player in the comp

Quote Originally Posted by EH9 View Post
    i would think every player in the comp
    Point taken but I was referring to the location

Singo vs Valo
    19's 6-1
    23's 0-3
    First's tomorrow night

my bad then, last time I was there was for a night game and now you have made me think back there was no fencing along the top near the old bowling club buildings is there? So of course that would rule them out for a ground. I think generally most clubs will travel and most family members would also, the question I guess for crowd is how far would the non involved persons...... other clubs, other divisions... not a huge number but not to be ignored either.

Not being as centralised a comp as say NBN I guess all grounds are going to be a distance from at least 3-4 others no matter where is chosen. I would rather no decision was made until say 3 roudns to go and see what everyones surface is like at that stage.

I know the players wouldn't complain about it being at Magic but I'm a firm believer that it should stay in the NBN to assist a club who is putting in the effort. I personal would like to see Maitland get the Grand Final and I'm 100% against the fed giving Westy a hand out with hosting rights. The facilities were not up to scratch when I was there early this season and it would take a massive change to get them ready.
    Geez… really! That shocks me to the core that you'd be pushing the "Maitland bandwagon". If we're getting picky over facilities then I don't see much between Cessnock and Maitland that a bit of temp. fencing wouldn't fix. I personally believe that Westy is a better facility to watch a game and the playing surface is(was) fine. Why do see Maitland's facilities any more superior to Westy????

Quote Originally Posted by Zico View Post
    Everybody is welcome at Wanderers my friend.
    We have the best of everything in the area so why not welcome everybody to enjoy it
    Thanks for the invite. I'm sure the Newcastle football fraternity will rest a little easier knowing everyone is welcome to enjoy "the best of everything".

Geez… really! That shocks me to the core that you'd be pushing the "Maitland bandwagon". If we're getting picky over facilities then I don't see much between Cessnock and Maitland that a bit of temp. fencing wouldn't fix. I personally believe that Westy is a better facility to watch a game and the playing surface is(was) fine. Why do see Maitland's facilities any more superior to Westy????
    Correct - Maitland & Cessnock are both dumps.

Word from this weeks club meeting is that expansion in 2015 MAY take place, Northern to ask for formal expressions of interest from clubs to join NewFM. Goal to be a ten club comp but must meet the current criteria to be accepted or have written guarantee from there Council the work will be carried out in very near future. Not sure if the possibility of 9 team comp was talked about (I didnt think at time to ask).

Some very vocal people have been asking for it so now it comes back on the Zone clubs to show how prepared they might really be.

Interesting..

When they say they must meet the current criteria, does that too extend to existing NEWFM clubs meeting the criteria? For eg: Singo have no fence, and thus can't charge admission. Will they be deemed to have not met the criteria, and therefore 3 ZPL teams meeting the criteria will come in, one replacing Singo?
    OK

Ok predictions for the weekend

Will be interesting to see what ZPL teams back it up now and a real positive for both ZPL and NewFm and NPl for that matter if there is now a clear pathway for ambitious teams to progress to the top.

West Wallsend SFC v Thornton Redbacks FC 2-4

Cessnock City FC v Toronto Awaba FC 4-1

Valentine FC v Singleton SC 8-0

Maitland FC v Belmont Swansea Utd SC 1-0

Who thinks the comp is going to come down to goal difference and can anyone remember this happening in the past . I will be so upset to lose a comp on goals and not points .

Looking like Swans have secured 3rd spot and great fight developing for the 4th final spot. I would say Westy perhaps to much to get 4th this year after everything they have been through though they are doing well as starting to prove harder to beat with every week.

Singo been big improvement and will think have outside chance and nothing between Cessnock, Thornton & Toronto but if pushed I would say Cessnock or Thornton.

Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    Interesting..

When they say they must meet the current criteria, does that too extend to existing NEWFM clubs meeting the criteria? For eg: Singo have no fence, and thus can't charge admission. Will they be deemed to have not met the criteria, and therefore 3 ZPL teams meeting the criteria will come in, one replacing Singo?

Nope I asked that same question, there was no consideration to any club being demoted in the foreseeable seasons. I guess until they have a full NewFM plus clubs in ZPL who already meet the set criteria there won't be an opportunity/need to demote anyone.

I can't answer why Singleton fence line does not carry on around entire ground, but I don't mind having free entry to their games when I do drive up. And there may be a difference between CAN'T , as they could charge if the put someone on either gate, and a club CHOOSING not to charge. If they decide not too then that isn't not meeting the criteria as no club is forced to charge, maximum prices are set by clubs in agreement with Northern but clubs choose whether or not to charge.

Quote Originally Posted by NewFM 2014 View Post
    Who thinks the comp is going to come down to goal difference and can anyone remember this happening in the past . I will be so upset to lose a comp on goals and not points .

Looking like Swans have secured 3rd spot and great fight developing for the 4th final spot. I would say Westy perhaps to much to get 4th this year after everything they have been through though they are doing well as starting to prove harder to beat with every week.

Singo been big improvement and will think have outside chance and nothing between Cessnock, Thornton & Toronto but if pushed I would say Cessnock or Thornton.
    Not game to try and predict scores for weekend.

Gut feeling is it won't be goal difference, I can see someone pulling off an unexpected result in the final rounds against one of the top 2. Maybe not an upset win, maybe just a timely draw to really put the pressure on both of them for those final few games of the season.

Final 4 , I will come out now and say Grand Final will be whomever comes 1st and Belswans. Whichever side loses the Minor I think will be very hard pushed to back up against Belswans in semi's and the GF... well anything is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    Interesting..

Singo do have fence. you obvoioiusly have not been there this season.

Quote Originally Posted by NewFM 2014 View Post
    Ok predictions for the weekend

Will be interesting to see what ZPL teams back it up now and a real positive for both ZPL and NewFm and NPl for that matter if there is now a clear pathway for ambitious teams to progress to the top.

West Wallsend SFC v Thornton Redbacks FC 2-4

Cessnock City FC v Toronto Awaba FC 4-1

Valentine FC v Singleton SC 8-0

Maitland FC v Belmont Swansea Utd SC 1-0

Thornton 5-0
    valo 6-1
    cessnock 3-3
    maitland 4-0

Quote Originally Posted by outdated View Post
    Singo do have fence. you obvoioiusly have not been there this season.
    You can walk into the field without going through a gate or fence.
    OK