Page 54 of 135 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664104 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,080 of 2687

Thread: 2017/18 Squad Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Jardelsimage View Post
    Boogs yes punt him he was on the slide at Adelaide, Kanta is free, he can play, just not consistently enough for all of you, keep him.
    Kokko well I say give him a chance, he was never going to shine after the start he had with injuries last year, then Jones went back to GVE coaching manual and shut him out.
    The new gaffa should play things differently hopefully, Kokko with a decent preseason and a change of style, might turn out to surprise, lets just wait and see.
    Over the years we have had some strikers play in this club, that benefitted from different styles, which at most times we didn't play to suit them.
    If we all remember Edmundo Zura couldn't play as a lone striker to save his life, GVE finally changes to 2 up front, if I remember we win the game, Zura scores 2? wins praise all-round, GVE next week goes back to one up front, sound familiar.
    Zura never scored. We never got to see him whip the mask out from his pants, as was his celebration.

But that's an interesting list to think of - Donny De Groot, Guy Bates, Zhang Shou, Scott Tunbridge, Mario Jardel (), Milos Trifunovic (?), Edson Montano
    Last edited by Jeterpool; 15-06-2017 at 08:53 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    Zura never scored. We never got to see him whip the mask out from his pants, as was his celebration.
    IIRC for two things:
    - he nearly scored but Kaz Patafta stole one of his would-be goals
    - the FFA banned his mask celebration before he'd even set foot on an A-League pitch.
    OK

Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    IIRC for two things:
    - he nearly scored but Kaz Patafta stole one of his would-be goals
    - the FFA banned his mask celebration before he'd even set foot on an A-League pitch.
    I don't remember that, but he DID score one down the Goninan's end of the ground. Griff played him through. He wheeled away to the Western stand but he was ruled offside.

If you look at the strikers taking up a Visa spot who have been perceived successful, to varying degrees, they have scored early before the pressure starts building. I'd put Nordstrand, Jeffers, Rodriguez, Coveny, Bridges, Triffo and Heskey in that category.

I'd even put Montano up as successes as part of that debate.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

I think we can all agree, Ansell is a very safe option...

I don't remember that, but he DID score one down the Goninan's end of the ground. Griff played him through. He wheeled away to the Western stand but he was ruled offside.
    I found what I was thinking of. 3:08 onwards:

EDIT: topically, in that goal there was an attacking player located very close to Zura, and we scored because of it.
    Last edited by pv4; 15-06-2017 at 10:08 AM.
    OK

Tap in from Sigmund, I remember it well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jardelsimage View Post
    Kanta is free, he can play, just not consistently enough for all of you, keep him.
    Kanta is not free. He is actually the opposite of free. Players under the salary cap are covered by the money that the club receives, whereas Kanta wage comes directly from Mr Lee's coin purse.. That is money that would otherwise go to a marquee, better facilities, more staff, jet's shaped hat R&D... If Kanta isn't proving his worth on the football pitch, which is subjective, he would be costing us in worse ways than say Boogs who has his wage paid by others.

Happy we are using the salary concessions as it gives us an option to spend more money, and if Kanta is performing well and justifying his wage i'd go as far as saying that it would be twice as good for the club than if he was under the cap. (good player + extra cap space) But he still needs to justify the money spent on him compared to the alternatives, again this is subjective.

I don't want Mr Lee to pour money into the club aimlessly and slowly lose so much money that he walks away.
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    Kanta is not free. He is actually the opposite of free. Players under the salary cap are covered by the money that the club receives, whereas Kanta wage comes directly from Mr Lee's coin purse.. That is money that would otherwise go to a marquee, better facilities, more staff, jet's shaped hat R&D... If Kanta isn't proving his worth on the football pitch, which is subjective, he would be costing us in worse ways than say Boogs who has his wage paid by others.

Happy we are using the salary concessions as it gives us an option to spend more money, and if Kanta is performing well and justifying his wage i'd go as far as saying that it would be twice as good for the club than if he was under the cap. (good player + extra cap space) But he still needs to justify the money spent on him compared to the alternatives, again this is subjective.

I don't want Mr Lee to pour money into the club aimlessly and slowly lose so much money that he walks away.
    Other than the walking away bit isn't the Chinese Lightsalesman pouring money into the club aimlessly at the moment??

There seems to not be any great plan to what's going on

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    Kanta is not free. He is actually the opposite of free. Players under the salary cap are covered by the money that the club receives, whereas Kanta wage comes directly from Mr Lee's coin purse..
    That's not entirely true, the annual grant clubs receive from TV revenue is now $3mil. The current Salary Cap is $2.65mil which is expected to be increased to $2.9mil before the season starts.
    Quote Originally Posted by #fixsmithpark View Post
    I'M GULLIBLE!

Quote Originally Posted by Premy View Post
    That's not entirely true, the annual grant clubs receive from TV revenue is now $3mil. The current Salary Cap is $2.65mil which is expected to be increased to $2.9mil before the season starts.
    It's money that could be going to a marquee though

Quote Originally Posted by borat View Post
    It's money that could be going to a marquee though
    No dispute there, I was just informing our little hobbit that he wasn't entirely correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by #fixsmithpark View Post
    I'M GULLIBLE!

Quote Originally Posted by Premy View Post
    No dispute there, I was just informing our little hobbit that he wasn't entirely correct.
    Fair enough

Same goes with people saying what does it matter what we spend on NTS. It directly comes away from our player budget with less to spend on a marquee.

Fair enough

Same goes with people saying what does it matter what we spend on NTS. It directly comes away from our player budget with less to spend on a marquee.
    I said I don't care what NTS gets as long as we get the other targets we've identified. If an extra 50k on NTS has prevented us from signing say Burns (just as an example), then yes it does matter.

Quote Originally Posted by halo se7en View Post
    I said I don't care what NTS gets as long as we get the other targets we've identified. If an extra 50k on NTS has prevented us from signing say Burns (just as an example), then yes it does matter.
    Fair enough, I see your point and it's a shame we wasted squad positions early when we now seem flush with funds.

Although I would argue that a 2 year deal gives the value a greater significance. I reckon you will be reading articles in 12 months about how we have too much salary cap locked into the CB positions, just like in 2014. It will be Groundhog Day with the exact same player.

Fair enough, I see your point and it's a shame we wasted squad positions early when we now seem flush with funds.

Although I would argue that a 2 year deal gives the value a greater significance. I reckon you will be reading articles in 12 months about how we have too much salary cap locked into the CB positions, just like in 2014. It will be Groundhog Day with the exact same player.
    Interestingly, nobody is signed past the end of June 2019 (i.e. two years left on the contract).

How long does Boogs have left on his contract? I wouldn't have thought Jackson would be on much, or Johnny K if we still want to class him as a CB. I think the clearout this off-season has been one of the better ones in recent times, although I do think keeping Kanta was unnecessary.

Quote Originally Posted by halo se7en View Post
    How long does Boogs have left on his contract? I wouldn't have thought Jackson would be on much, or Johnny K if we still want to class him as a CB. I think the clearout this off-season has been one of the better ones in recent times, although I do think keeping Kanta was unnecessary.
    Boogs has 12 months I believe. I meant in Boogs and NTS, assuming these two are our starting combination.

On a different note, Mark Milligan looks to be headed to Middlesbrough in the Championship

To change the talk about NTS.

given we now have 2 spots remaining i think it is fairly clear to see that the chinese player will be the AM/W

and the other spot will be the CM/DM so i think that will be the only other significant player signing we will see, whether that be a foreigner or aussie is yet to be known.

I think Petratos signing has shut the door on Nathan Burns

Quote Originally Posted by white city View Post
    To change the talk about NTS.

given we now have 2 spots remaining i think it is fairly clear to see that the chinese player will be the AM/W

and the other spot will be the CM/DM so i think that will be the only other significant player signing we will see, whether that be a foreigner or aussie is yet to be known.

I think Petratos signing has shut the door on Nathan Burns
    I totally disagree, in fact its the opposite. We are now stacked with defenders and defensive midfielders, by my count 12 or half the squad. You will see both the last signings will be attacking players, most likely a RW/LW or a AM/RW/LW. Burns is the likely given the comments from McKinna, although I suspect we will end up with an Australian of a lesser standard.

i would hope so,

i only say that as i thought merrick's wish list included bringing in another CM??