Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Guitars and Instruments (no stairway)

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    interesting you brought this up.
    was contemplating getting Plague jar a guitar last Christmas (he's 6) and music pros and teachers I spoke to all said the same thing. Get him to learn keyboard first as it will make guitar (and music) easier long term. they all said that young kids playing guitar is a very difficult introduction and keyboard will be easier to learn from both a 'making noise' perspective and learning to read music.

never even thought about it that way but testimony from people that did it certainly has swayed my way of thinking.

I'm trying to work out what to do with my 6 year old who wants to play guitar. Thing is, he has absolutely no interest in the keyboard, so going down that path would be a waste as he wouldn't stick with it, but I am sure if I got him guitar lessons he would get right into it.

Ive thought about Rosies School of Rock which seems to be more based around the kids learning songs more than anything. Could be a good introduction till he is old enough to get into theory, assuming he wants to go that way.

Quote Originally Posted by sammydog View Post
    Ive thought about Rosies School of Rock which seems to be more based around the kids learning songs more than anything. Could be a good introduction till he is old enough to get into theory, assuming he wants to go that way.
    yeah i agree the fear is turning them off enjoying music by not letting them learn what they want but the flip side is that shortcuts learned at a young age are very hard to break*.

*source: me.
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Seems like I am WRONG

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    interesting you brought this up.
    was contemplating getting Plague jar a guitar last Christmas (he's 6) and music pros and teachers I spoke to all said the same thing. Get him to learn keyboard first as it will make guitar (and music) easier long term. they all said that young kids playing guitar is a very difficult introduction and keyboard will be easier to learn from both a 'making noise' perspective and learning to read music.

never even thought about it that way but testimony from people that did it certainly has swayed my way of thinking.
    Agree. Chords, Arpeggios, and scales are a lot easier to understand on a piano as well as it being far easier for small hands to play than a guitar is.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    The BC Rich Guitars look great . Do they play well ?
    I had a BC Rich Warlock bass back in the day..
    Can confirm that both it and the user played like sh!t..

I'm currently using a custom Ibanez 5 string, through a Warwick Quad VI head, with Warwick 6x10 box.. (will chuck up photos when I get the chance)
    Put the head in at Musos in Feb to be checked out as it was sounding ridiculously poor, farty, cutting out, and only just picked it up today with a "we looked at it yesterday but couldn't find much wrong with it".. So p!ssed off..
    Looking to upgrade my head to the classic Ampeg SVT Pro 4, and also keeping an eye out on finding a decently priced Warwick Thumb bass..

Agree. Chords, Arpeggios, and scales are a lot easier to understand on a piano as well as it being far easier for small hands to play than a guitar is.
    I was learning the piano when I was about 7, however learning all of those things was boring and far from fun.. (Although, I curse myself now every day that I didn't stick with it and learn it all properly at that age, I would shred now and actually understand whats going on, instead of just getting drunk and being a hack)
    So while I think that down the track the kid will thank you for the theory lessons (if they can stick with it), I can see why playing songs and music you enjoy at the time is also a lot easier and enjoyable and perhaps open the doors to learning the technical stuff later on..
    Last edited by Bon; 24-05-2016 at 09:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bon View Post
    I had a BC Rich Warlock bass back in the day..
    Can confirm that both it and the user played like sh!t..
    Was it a cheap one with a bolt up neck, or a good one with a neck through body? Big variance between the Chinese and US made guitars.

Even with guitars like Epiphone, the difference between the low end and high end is huge. Low end being bolt up necks and shit wood.

I'm currently using a custom Ibanez 5 string, through a Warwick Quad VI head, with Warwick 6x10 box.. (will chuck up photos when I get the chance)
    Put the head in at Musos in Feb to be checked out as it was sounding ridiculously poor, farty, cutting out, and only just picked it up today with a "we looked at it yesterday but couldn't find much wrong with it".. So p!ssed off..
    Looking to upgrade my head to the classic Ampeg SVT Pro 4, and also keeping an eye out on finding a decently priced Warwick Thumb bass..
    Like I said, take the amp into Mick Sampson. He has worked magic on my Marshall and Baez many times. Let me know if you want his number. He is cheap and most repairs you get the amp back the day you give it to him.

Like I said, take the amp into Mick Sampson. He has worked magic on my Marshall and Baez many times. Let me know if you want his number. He is cheap and most repairs you get the amp back the day you give it to him.
    Is Mick Sampson the bloke at Waratah ? Everyone I know that goes there says he's the best in the business.

Is Mick Sampson the bloke at Waratah ? Everyone I know that goes there says he's the best in the business.
    Thats him. Works from his shed and built Baez Amps in the 70's. The guy is an absolute guru when it comes to amps.

Actually have built the Pitbull kit of sammydogs LP - same colour and all apart from the headstock. Good kits, good fun, beats building Airfix kits - unfortunately my gluing skills aren't the best and the neck has come away so will have to redo!

Old fashioned Tele man myself, have a quality Mex one and also a cheap Jap copy that has lasted me 30 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    Actually have built the Pitbull kit of sammydogs LP - same colour and all apart from the headstock. Good kits, good fun, beats building Airfix kits - unfortunately my gluing skills aren't the best and the neck has come away so will have to redo!

Old fashioned Tele man myself, have a quality Mex one and also a cheap Jap copy that has lasted me 30 years.
    I'd never heard of these Pitbull Guitar Kits before and I'm now having a GAS attack.

Was it a cheap one with a bolt up neck, or a good one with a neck through body? Big variance between the Chinese and US made guitars.

Even with guitars like Epiphone, the difference between the low end and high end is huge. Low end being bolt up necks and shit wood.

Yeah, it was a cheap piece of sh!t.. We called it the "firestoker" cause thats about all the bloody thing was good for..

PM me the number of Mr Sampson. Would love to get him to have a look at it..
    I've heard there is a guy at Warners Bay that is really good with amps too, anyone know much/anything about him?

I seem to remember posting this somewhere on here aaaaaaages ago.. I'm contemplating purchasing an acoustic to just strum about on at home, not needing or wanting anything hectic or professional, anyone have a good recommendation? I was looking in to the Maton SR60 as I do love a good Maton, and it is the cheapest in their range..
    Last edited by Bon; 26-05-2016 at 08:53 AM.

I'd never heard of these Pitbull Guitar Kits before and I'm now having a GAS attack.
    http://www.pitbullguitars.com/

Have fun - wants me a Flying V next !

Yeah, it was a cheap piece of sh!t.. We called it the "firestoker" cause thats about all the bloody thing was good for..

PM me the number of Mr Sampson. Would love to get him to have a look at it..
    I've heard there is a guy at Warners Bay that is really good with amps too, anyone know much/anything about him?

I seem to remember posting this somewhere on here aaaaaaages ago.. I'm contemplating purchasing an acoustic to just strum about on at home, not needing or wanting anything hectic or professional, anyone have a good recommendation? I was looking in to the Maton SR60 as I do love a good Maton, and it is the cheapest in their range..
    The guy at Music Solutions in Warners Bay is also good, he is my back up amp guy and my go to guitar tech.

I'be sent you a PM with Micks contact.

This photo some of Micks finest work from last night's jam. Love his amps.....I'm on the hunt for another if anyone has one they want to flog off. Love playing guitar through the bass amp on the top. He did a complete overhaul on the top amp in december (turns out he built it originally in 1973), cost bugger all for what he did and it sounds insane.

The guy at Music Solutions in Warners Bay is also good, he is my back up amp guy and my go to guitar tech.
    I need a guitar tech that is familar with the G&L Dual Fulcrum Vibrato [Bridge/Trem] to set mine up. The last tech I went to handed it back to me buzzing over most of the fretboard.

Would this guy at Warners bay be worth investigating ?
    Last edited by The Dunster; 26-05-2016 at 10:34 AM.

Not sure of his experience with the Dual Fulcrum set up.

Is it just the two pivot points that differ from a standard strat trem?

Not sure of his experience with the Dual Fulcrum set up.

Is it just the two pivot points that differ from a standard strat trem?

They also allow you to bend a note both up and down

^ooooh^

Anyone got any experience with pickups for Fender Jaguars? I have a Japanese Fender Jag from the 90's. The wood and craftsmanship at the time was up there with the US guitars but the electronics were horrible at best.

In the past I had replaced the bridge pickup with a Seymour Duncan Quaterpounder but am now looking to completely rewire (pots, switches, jacks, pickups, wires and shielding). First pick were Seymour Duncan Antiquities but they are expensive and can be quiet a wait to get, which let me to fenders '65 reissue pickups.

Anyone heard them?

Sound pretty good to me. These should totally come with a bonus surfboard.

I have only played the Squire Vintage Modified version - and it was impressive apart from the shitty bridge which the strings jumped out of in a random fashion.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 28-05-2016 at 08:54 AM.

Sound pretty good to me. These should totally come with a bonus surfboard.

I have only played the Squire Vintage Modified version - and it was impressive apart from the shitty bridge which the strings jumped out of in a random fashion.
    Thats a Jaguar Bridge trait, along with self lowering. I fixed the lowering with plumbers tape on the screws and the string skipping was solved by playing with 1-'s instead of 9's. Ive heard flat wounds are the best solution although a lot of people put in a Mustang bridge.

I find listening to you tube clips of guitars like a jag hard, you never hear someone playing them through a Marshall, its always through a fender with the surf tone. Fair enough as that is what they are known for, but I have found they can run through a Marshall quiet well. The Quarterpunder in the bridge sounds huge, and I am hoping the 65 Fender in the next will give me clean options as well.

Just got the Jag back from having the Fender Vintage 65 pickups installed along with rewiring the guitar with CTS pots and jacks.

The neck pickup has gone from being unusable to a really sweet warm sound. Very much like a tele. The bridge is a huge departure fro the Seymour Duncan Quaterpounder I had in it. Will take a while to get used to, but with the volume rolled of it has some very nice cleans. While very much treble oriented, it isn't like an ice pick and is pretty cool, although with the bright switch on its all a bit too much.

Pretty happy though and am now contemplating some Custom Shop 69 pickups for the strat.