Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: FFA silliness: The protests and boycotts thread

Quote Originally Posted by GazFish35 View Post
    for me its that bodi, but also about the limp wristed defence of the code provided by the FFA.

weve been under attack fornthe best part of the week, Gallop's response was pathetic
    I'm interested in this 'lack of leadership' (commonly used words not yours directly Mr Fish) regarding the FFA.

To me they are providing leadership by saying "screw the >1% who are mucking up we are only concerned with the 99% who want to go and enjoy a safe night at the football".
    To me that's leadership.

You want them to reply to every article regarding your constituents? Jeez then do you expect the same from unions/business/religious groups everytime the Tele goes looking for a fight? The poor Muslims would go hoarse!!!

Also it is a bit of a furphy regarding the appeals process. I'm sure Mr Furns has said that bans have been overturned for Jets fans after consultation with the club (please correct if wrong).

It is probably no coincidence that a healthy relationship between fans/club and FFA have helped Jets fans have those bans overturned.

Am I shocked that (in the case of the WSW) that the FFA aren't as helpful when all some of those fans have done is thumb their nose at any attempts to curtail a few elements of their behaviour.

Again, the aggrieved fans can fix this in a second. They just don't seem to want to.

The only thing making this look like boycotts to support ALL the 198 is lazy journos who haven't looked into the issue simplifying for an easy sound bite or headline.
    Didn't the Cove have a sign saying something like "we stand with the 198"? Or was that a lazy journo?

RE : self policing - the squadron have pointed out and helped apprehend a blow in that ripped a flare in Bay 2 a few seasons back.

The same thing would happen if somebody did something stupid in Bay 60 these days.

That reminds me - why did SD get dragged last week? Too much red cordial?

Quote Originally Posted by WolfMan View Post
    RE : self policing - the squadron have pointed out and helped apprehend a blow in that ripped a flare in Bay 2 a few seasons back.

The same thing would happen if somebody did something stupid in Bay 60 these days.
    And if that was the attitude across all clubs we wouldn't be in this pickle.

It's a simple fix.
    Squadron ahead of the curve.

The banner I didn't like was the "FFA Don't bury your heads the sand, we've listed our demands".

That screams of a group that isn't there to negotiate a thing, a group that doesn't see that they have at all contributed to any of the mess we have right now, a group that sees themselves as bigger than the sport and able to dictate its terms.

The Wilson article was never aimed at your Squadron, Yellow army, Den, etc. It was always squarely at the bigger groups like the RBB, NT and The Cove. No doubt the majority of the supported in these groups aren't an issue, never have been, never will be. Its eliminating the dickhead element that they have a role to play. Ive seen nothing to indicate there is a desire to do so.

The real answer to the current issue is in the middle ground. As much as the FFA need to get their house in order in terms of the banning and appeals process, the various active support have a role to play in outing the dickhead element. This doesn't have to be passing them off to authorities, but just not making them welcome in the first place.

what have individual supporter groups done to eliminate the dickhead element from their own groups?

Quote Originally Posted by Nou Camp View Post
    what have individual supporter groups done to eliminate the dickhead element from their own groups?
    Nah mate, it's these strangers who no one knows who manage to get right into the middle of the group and let flares off then disappear in a cloud of ninja dust then brag about it on social media but they are strangers and no one knows them and it's not our fault and all cops are bastards and not our fault and we would honestly stop it of we could but strangers just keep popping up it's uncanny did I mention all cops are bastards?
    Last edited by plague; 03-12-2015 at 10:44 AM.

david squires take on the silliness

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/pic...e-fan-protests

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    Didn't the Cove have a sign saying something like "we stand with the 198"? Or was that a lazy journo?
    they stand with the 198 not being named and shamed in the paper - they didn't boycott for them.

the boycotts are about a lack of appeals process, and not speaking out strongly enough against the slander the code has copped.

I saw and heard four reports this morning saying "a-league fans boycotting games this weekend to show support for 198 trouble makers"
    that is what I call lazy journalism
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmac79 View Post
    I tend to agree with Gav.

Lowy and Gallop holding another presser at 2:00
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

I'm interested in this 'lack of leadership' (commonly used words not yours directly Mr Fish) regarding the FFA.

To me they are providing leadership by saying "screw the >1% who are mucking up we are only concerned with the 99% who want to go and enjoy a safe night at the football".
    To me that's leadership.

You want them to reply to every article regarding your constituents? Jeez then do you expect the same from unions/business/religious groups everytime the Tele goes looking for a fight? The poor Muslims would go hoarse!!!

Also it is a bit of a furphy regarding the appeals process. I'm sure Mr Furns has said that bans have been overturned for Jets fans after consultation with the club (please correct if wrong).

It is probably no coincidence that a healthy relationship between fans/club and FFA have helped Jets fans have those bans overturned.

Am I shocked that (in the case of the WSW) that the FFA aren't as helpful when all some of those fans have done is thumb their nose at any attempts to curtail a few elements of their behaviour.

Again, the aggrieved fans can fix this in a second. They just don't seem to want to.

I agree the groups with bigger trouble maker elements need to do more.

leadership - see the CEO of Victory's speech last night. - http://www.melbournevictory.com.au/a...9161v9ccu93ycq from 5:48

I don't expect Gallop to defend the code form every jibe in the media, but Wilson's article, Jones' 2cents and even Sam Newman FFS has created a situation where the code needed its leaders to stand up to it. Fans have been likened to terrorists - if that isn't worthy of the head of the code speaking out, I don't know what would - its insanely disrespectful to the victims in Paris if nothing else.
    Last edited by GazFish35; 03-12-2015 at 12:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sammydog View Post
    Here is my take on it the whole situation.

The Wilson article and subsequent Jones diatribe may not be a bad thing in that they have put this issue in the spotlight so it at least gets addressed. Unfortunately the way it is being addressed by the FFA and Fans is really playing into the hands of people like Wilson.

The FFA have shown themselves to be pretty weak this week. They have shown nothing in the way of leadership and their appeals process looks to be nothing more than a tick a box affair to say they have one, with no real interest in having a fair process.

While I completely agree with the fans in that there needs to be greater transparency in the banning through an appeals process, I also think some of the fans groups are responsible for this escalating to the point it has. By all accounts, things like Flare ignition make up a major part of the ban list. I'm yet to hear, or see, any group self police and remove or even publicly criticise the lighting of flares. If groups themselves aren't going to curtail their use, then yes the governing body is going to come down like a tonne of bricks.

I'll use the RBB as an example. When they travel, flares travel. We know the media loves a good story on them. Everyone knows they are illegal, but when they come to newcastle, they keep getting ripped. FFS, last season they had something making small explosive sounds (I've heard they were railway detonators but I'm not convinced). If you are going to pull stuff like this, you are going to attract increased security and policing.

Same with people in the crowd acting like dicks, throwing shit or wanting to punch on.

There are tossers in the crowds, yes they are very much the minority, but until I see some of the bigger groups making obvious moves to remove the or ostracise them, then they are also complicit in whats gone on. They are a part of what has created the crap that is going on now.

With the 198 on the list, it would be naive to think that the majority of them are squeaky clean. Thats not to take away from the fact that we need an appeals process, a fair appeals process, to make sure the process is transparent. But, to the outsider it really does look like fans are condoning the actions of all 198.

I won't be boycotting anything, I don't agree with the FFA's stance in this issue, but I don't see the groups who appear to be leading this in being squeaky clean and they as much as the FFA need to have a change in culture.
    Agree 100%

2:00pm Presser with Lowy and Gallop
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

I agree the groups with bigger trouble maker elements need to do more.
    See this is the classic handwringing nimby attitude that got us here.

EVERYONE is out there saying "we need to do more" but the second someone does something you guys are like 'whoa whoa whoa, not THAT'.

Well what's your solution?
    How you going to stop flares?
    How you going to stop violence?
    How are you going to get to a place where riot cops aren't needed to walk fans to, and babysit them in, the stadium?

Because the second this stuff affects the general public they are gonna sue the FFA, not you, not the perpetrators, not the players and not the active groups.
    They will go after the FFA and the same people calling for 'someone to do something' will be screaming 'DUTY OF CARE'!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hawk View Post
    If anyone was serious in kicking the FFA in the ass they would be organising a rebel competition.
    Quote Originally Posted by joel31 View Post
    How would you get A-League players who would be putting their careers on the line to join?
    Good point big J. There wouldnt be a need.

This is the show boat comp to get the punters in that will destroy the other league.

There would be any hollywood type recruited, any name who played in the last 30yrs at top level, a whole bunch of kids who keep getting pushed out by the other communist league clubs, kits that are striking and cant help but leave the shelves, then there would be fan incentives - cheap tix, dancing girls/boys, a tough boy flare section, cheap beer from local breweries, food at fishnchip shop prices, low security on banners and inflatables, school competitions (GAz is already in), low cost free to air, paytv and streaming. players will visit home for fifa nites and bbq's pleasing whole towns and cities.

writes itself

Quote Originally Posted by hawk View Post
    Good point big J. There wouldnt be a need.

This is the show boat comp to get the punters in that will destroy the other league.

There would be any hollywood type recruited, any name who played in the last 30yrs at top level, a whole bunch of kids who keep getting pushed out by the other communist league clubs, kits that are striking and cant help but leave the shelves, then there would be fan incentives - cheap tix, dancing girls/boys, a tough boy flare section, cheap beer from local breweries, food at fishnchip shop prices, low security on banners and inflatables, school competitions (GAz is already in), low cost free to air, paytv and streaming. players will visit home for fifa nites and bbq's pleasing whole towns and cities.

writes itself
    No mention of swimming pools?

Sorry but I can't be part of this.

See this is the classic handwringing nimby attitude that got us here.

EVERYONE is out there saying "we need to do more" but the second someone does something you guys are like 'whoa whoa whoa, not THAT'.

Well what's your solution?
    How you going to stop flares?
    How you going to stop violence?
    How are you going to get to a place where riot cops aren't needed to walk fans to, and babysit them in, the stadium?

Because the second this stuff affects the general public they are gonna sue the FFA, not you, not the perpetrators, not the players and not the active groups.
    They will go after the FFA and the same people calling for 'someone to do something' will be screaming 'DUTY OF CARE'!!!

Nimby? Can you explain what that means?

Groups need to make staremt against flare use.
    They need to stop glorifying their use on social media.
    They need to stop being anti-authoritarian for the sake of it.
    They need to hand over repeated perpetrators.

At the same time the FFA's zero tolerance needs to continue, but security and policing need to happen in a manner that doesn't escalate issues, like marching into bays wielding batons as I've seen at the sfs when victory played sfc, or pepper spraying with abandon in the rbb... Close bays if they have, tell the rbb to sort there shit or the north hill gets closed.

While those two things need to happen, and appeal process for when authorities get it wrong needs to be in place so fans wrongly accused can get off, that process needs to be clear and transparent and easy for the innocent, not the 6-8 months of hard slog, endless kangaroo court negotiations and false promises to end up with a clear error being reversed.

Nothing nimby about it. Whatever nimby means.

Starting to think you're just trying stir the pot plague and not realizing nearly everyone commenting in support of the active fans protest actions fully recognize the issues that exist. No one has there head in the sand in regards to denying some fans deserve their bans and groups need to self police more effectively.

I for one want this appeals process to exist so the real dickheads causing real trouble can no longer hide behind the "I get no right to appeal" argument. Let them appeal, let the appeal be open and transparent, let everyone see what they're accused of, and an explanation of why. Then let them rot when they can no longer deny they weren't afforded an appeal. The appeals process at the every least cleans that list from 198 to a lesser number and then we all know that 160 (random number) are genuinely deserving of their ban and aren't welcome in the code.

I've heard some argue, "don't do anything wrong and you've got nothing to worry about" and that's the exact situation we are in. People who have done nothing wrong are currently banned, they should have had nothing to worry about.

Hell I've seen blokes get dragged out by seccos and the secco is yelling at him about shit done at nightclubs in town months ago. We've got 198 currently banned, and we're all labeled thugs and terrorists, while Cricket evict 190+ in one day and police report the crowd as well behaved?

Balance in reporting and managing football crowds is needed. An appeals process is pivotal in that.

Reading the Press Conference on twitter, it sounded like they said today what they should have said 10 days ago. However, it sounded to me like a much stronger performance but is it too little too late?

Starting to think you're just trying stir the pot plague
    Actually (at least this time) I'm not. Am always happy to discuss these things and whilst ever I get concise measured replies like yours I will continue (so cheers for that).
    Whether we agree or not isn't as important as getting our points across in a civil manner.

The thing is though that we pretty much agree in the outcomes everyone is striving for.
    It's the process of getting there that we have differing opinions on.

Your points regarding what supporter groups should be doing is spot on. But they aren't doing that are they. At the very least they are saying 'we don't condone violence in any way.......BUT' and we all know that nothing good comes after the word 'but'.

I just cringe at everyone bemoaning the lack of leadership when the FFA are the only ones taking any real action at all.

If RBB came out and said, hey we'll get rid of the flares if you get rid of the riot police I bet the situation would solve itself quicker that the current process.

As for the Victory isn't it a bit rich coming from them after they essentially went through this with the NT over the past few seasons? Especially when it looks like the club won that argument by not giving into their bullshit actions. The issues were resolved through discussion weren't they but is it any coincidence that flares are no longer a mainstay at MV games?

For some reason I found myself at several MV games at Etihad that season where the NT was up the back and there wasn't a flare in any of them. Do they still bring them to Jets games I do t know because I hate the Jets?

I have other thoughts on the Alan Jones thing but need to do some reading first. Will get to that hypocrite later.

Tl;dr?

Griff is the only one who can save us.
    Hail Griff.

Oh and when I refer to a nimby attitude just imagine how Sarah Hansen-Young lives her life then you'll be close.