Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022/23 Newcastle United Jets Men's Squad

Ever listened to Tony Rallis? If you don't agree with him you are a "fraud". Seems a nice bloke
    "It is not that I am afraid to die; its just that I don't want to be there when it happens" - Woody Allen

Jets are rumoured to be signing Rory Jordan

James Gardiner's article today notes we have extended the contracts on Mohamed Al-Taay and Kosta Grozos for 1 more year (2022/23 season)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    James Gardiner's article today notes we have extended the contracts on Mohamed Al-Taay and Kosta Grozos for 1 more year (2022/23 season)
    From the article they also mentioned talks are still going with Penha, but Sydney is offering him a $700,000 a season contract which I’m sure is hard to say no to.

Sotirio and McGarry are still expected to be signed, Piscopo is still linked to us and apparently 95% of the squad will be organised by July 8th which is starts of preseason. If that’s true it’s gonna be a busy month of resigning and signing new players

Be a total shambles if the reason Penha leaves for the smurfs is for financial reasons only. To not pony up that sort of dosh for a player who is already here and proved himself to be one of the best performers this past season would be just plain stupid. Not too mention if memory serves me correctly he also proved in the fitness department to be as sound as a bell.

If Mattiske can't stand up to the bill payers and get a deal sorted for a player of this caliber for that money he has no business running this club. How often do you get the opportunity to sign a player of this quality for that sort of money ?.

We can't afford $700,000 under our cap....no way. We can't compete with that amount of coin.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

We can't afford $700,000 under our cap....no way. We can't compete with that amount of coin.
    Can a local consortium cover the 700k ?

Quote Originally Posted by 380 View Post
    Be a total shambles if the reason Penha leaves for the smurfs is for financial reasons only. To not pony up that sort of dosh for a player who is already here and proved himself to be one of the best performers this past season would be just plain stupid. Not too mention if memory serves me correctly he also proved in the fitness department to be as sound as a bell.

If Mattiske can't stand up to the bill payers and get a deal sorted for a player of this caliber for that money he has no business running this club. How often do you get the opportunity to sign a player of this quality for that sort of money ?.
    How can we compete with Sydney for money?? We don't have owners and are running off the minimum amount of salary cap spend, they have multiple avenues to sidestep the cap entirely. Basically our only hope is that he misses all the games against us through suspension.
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    How can we compete with Sydney for money?? We don't have owners and are running off the minimum amount of salary cap spend, they have multiple avenues to sidestep the cap entirely. Basically our only hope is that he misses all the games against us through suspension.
    And Sydney are one of our 4 owners! They'll spend in their own backyard before we get the pocket change

Quote Originally Posted by Alton View Post
    Can a local consortium cover the 700k ?
    Possibly. I expect options are being explored.

Correct me if I’m wrong, isn’t Penha still contracted in Brazil?
    Don’t all negotiations go through his parent club?
    I imagine they have zero interest in who clubs are, and more interest in who is offering them the most money.

Wonder what their business model is, surely their eyebrows start to raise when overseas clubs are coming in with 700,000 offers for their player.

Also intriguing how this guy hasn’t played for his parent club for like 4-5 years from memory.

Quote Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
    Correct me if I’m wrong, isn’t Penha still contracted in Brazil?
    Don’t all negotiations go through his parent club?
    I imagine they have zero interest in who clubs are, and more interest in who is offering them the most money.

Wonder what their business model is, surely their eyebrows start to raise when overseas clubs are coming in with 700,000 offers for their player.

Also intriguing how this guy hasn’t played for his parent club for like 4-5 years from memory.
    I'm no expert, but a look online gives me the impression Brazil is full of loan armies and third party ownerships. Notoriously difficult place to shop, but players sell for cheap when they do get sold. Teams like Barcelona seem to have an entire scouting and negotiation team set up there since it's so hard to manage.
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

Listening to the 'Price of Football' podcast this morning, they mentioned the average wage for players at Aberdeen is £4,000/week - which works out to be say AUD$350,000/year.

Should we be paying players $700,000/year in Australia? Is it sustainable? Are we bigger/better than the Scottish Premier League?

That is seriously funny.

Look at the list of clubs that have over spent on players beyond their means and then had to have a fire sale.

If we had owners prepared to poney up this sort of money, sure. Otherwise it would be financial suicide to do it.

Still we can dream of having huge funds behind us or find a magical pot of gold somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by scarfy96 View Post
    That is seriously funny.

Look at the list of clubs that have over spent on players beyond their means and then had to have a fire sale.

If we had owners prepared to poney up this sort of money, sure. Otherwise it would be financial suicide to do it.

Still we can dream of having huge funds behind us or find a magical pot of gold somewhere.
    Nothing funny about it at all, Penha was clearly one of the standouts of the league this last season was he not ?. You don't think there are a handful of players in the league being paid upward of a mill and provided there respective clubs with less output ?.

As for your quip regarding owners not wanting to pony up, there lay the real issue eh. 25% of our current ownership model wants him on there books so of course that 1/4 will not put up the money. This is a blatant conflict of interest.

The only thing seriously funny is your take on the situation.

As for your quip regarding owners not wanting to pony up, there lay the real issue eh. 25% of our current ownership model wants him on there books so of course that 1/4 will not put up the money. This is a blatant conflict of interest.

So, you understand the reasons why it won't happen, but you still want to expect it anyways??? AND you also want people to join you in setting themselves up for obvious disappointment too?

Very odd behaviour.

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    So, you understand the reasons why it won't happen, but you still want to expect it anyways??? AND you also want people to join you in setting themselves up for obvious disappointment too?

Very odd behaviour.
    Do i expect people to understand why it won't happen for the right reasons, yes i do. Not because of some rubbish about clubs and firesales crap.

Nothing funny about it at all, Penha was clearly one of the standouts of the league this last season was he not ?. You don't think there are a handful of players in the league being paid upward of a mill and provided there respective clubs with less output ?.

The only thing seriously funny is your take on the situation.
    So you get why we can't match the Sydney offer if they really want him. Yet you are outraged at the club for trading within their financial limitations. Ok.

Do I wish we had an owner with a really big cheque book? Sure. But we don't. It is a reality. Until then I would prefer the club to operate in a financially responsible manner rather than go bankrupt due to overspending in a futile bidding war.

Feel free to rage about it.

Can I also say, off the back of finding Penha and Beka this season, I have a bit more faith in our recruitment towards international players.

These are two of the best internationals we’ve ever signed, and some of the best in the league last season. If the club can find players of that calibre, then I trust them to do it again especially off the back of making ourselves seem like a much more attractive option off the back of the style we play.

It won’t be easy, but 12 months ago no one knew who Daniel Penha was, and it isn’t shocking to believe there are other similar players floating around that we could sign up

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Swifts View Post
    Listening to the 'Price of Football' podcast this morning, they mentioned the average wage for players at Aberdeen is £4,000/week - which works out to be say AUD$350,000/year.

Should we be paying players $700,000/year in Australia? Is it sustainable? Are we bigger/better than the Scottish Premier League?
    This is a very good point

Why exactly are clubs pissing so much money away on players when we have a pretty poor business model with declining crowds and bugger all TV money.

It also shows how under Lowy and co we pissed away the chance to establish this game in Oz when we got a big money deal for 7 years with Foxtel in 2006

Instead of building a sustainable competitive competition like we had in the first few years of the competition we allowed the PFA to dictate terms and money was squandered into increased wages and more work around a of the salary cap.

The ALeague was at its zenith about season 3 when the Jets won the comp because at that time it didn't matter who you had as a marquee because the teams were all realistically even