Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022/23 Newcastle United Jets Men's Squad

Quote Originally Posted by 380 View Post
    Nothing funny about it at all, Penha was clearly one of the standouts of the league this last season was he not ?. You don't think there are a handful of players in the league being paid upward of a mill and provided there respective clubs with less output ?.

As for your quip regarding owners not wanting to pony up, there lay the real issue eh. 25% of our current ownership model wants him on there books so of course that 1/4 will not put up the money. This is a blatant conflict of interest.

The only thing seriously funny is your take on the situation.
    Seriously....you do not understand the current ownership model? The various owners don't get dibs on players. They are also negotiating a sale and devaluating the asset doesn't make any sense.

Any deals are usual market... pays your money, takes your choice. Jets paid $280k for Penha this season which seens reasonable. If Smurfs want to risk overs on someone who could well be a big fish in a small pond now, that is their perogative.
    Last edited by Jetmaster; 03-06-2022 at 01:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    Seriously....you do not understand the current ownership model? The various owners don't get dibs on players. They are also negotiating a sale and devaluating the asset doesn't make any sense.

Any deals are usual market... pays your money, takes your choice. Jets paid $280k for Penha this season which seens reasonable. If Smurfs want to risk overs on someone who could well be a big fish in a small pond now, that is their perogative.
    700K for arguably one of the best players in this league is acceptable. The issue is our ownership model and the conflict of interest that prevails. Remember when it was first touted how our ownership model was to work work there were concerns about it but the case was made because the ownership model was NOT a single other club owner but split between 4 owners they managed to sidestep those concerns. And if you are as close to the finer details of how things have worked in the past you will know very well just how concerned about the model those other club owners not involved with the Jets were about the perception of a conflict of interest. Such was there concern it made Lederer come out and make a public statement when the Wanderers were having there way with us pineapples included.

Take the blinkers off and understand that while ever we are under this current conflicted model we are at a disadvantage when we are up against one or perhaps more of the other 4 owners vying for the signature of same player. Apparently 2 clubs are vying for his signature, Who's to say the second club is also one of the four and also not wanting to cough up for us the funds to retain Penha to improve there chances of scooping him up.

This has nothing to do with Penha's value and anybody trying to make the case he is not worth 700k is waffling through there rectum, He is worth every cent.

Finally even Pappas was quoted as saying if we don't retain Penha it was because the funds were not forthcoming. Mmmmm let me see i will take the coaches perspective thank you.
    Last edited by 380; 03-06-2022 at 03:24 PM.

Take the blinkers off and understand that while ever we are under this current conflicted model we are at a disadvantage when we are up against one or perhaps more of the other 4 owners vying for the signature of same player. Apparently 2 clubs are vying for his signature, Who's to say the second club is also one of the four and also not wanting to cough up for us the funds to retain Penha to improve there chances of scooping him up.
    Would you rather the alternative and Penha signs for another club because we no longer exist anymore?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

700K for arguably one of the best players in this league is acceptable. The issue is our ownership model and the conflict of interest that prevails. Remember when it was first touted how our ownership model was to work work there were concerns about it but the case was made because the ownership model was NOT a single other club owner but split between 4 owners they managed to sidestep those concerns. And if you are as close to the finer details of how things have worked in the past you will know very well just how concerned about the model those other club owners not involved with the Jets were about the perception of a conflict of interest. Such was there concern it made Lederer come out and make a public statement when the Wanderers were having there way with us pineapples included.

This has nothing to do with Penha's value and anybody trying to make the case he is not worth 700k is waffling through there rectum, He is worth every cent.

Finally even Pappas was quoted as saying if we don't retain Penha it was because the funds were not forthcoming. Mmmmm let me see i will take the coaches perspective thank you.
    I can see your point, 380, but under any of our previous ownership models we wouldn't be in a position to pay $700,000 for Penha. The only time we've forked out an amount greater that $700k was for Heskey - and I understand we had help from the FFA with that (but happy to be proven otherwise). We simple cannot, and never have, been able to pay on that level.

Were the other club, say, City or Victory, would we be having the same conversation?

We have our budget. Our budget doesn't include discretionary spend above the cap. It is simply enough to keep us ticking over so the league has a full complement of teams and not a cent is spent unnecessarily while we wait for someone to buy us.

While we are waiting hopefully for a new owner we have to play Moneyball with our recruitment. We did it with Penha. We've done it with Beqa. The consortium will hope we can do it again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    Would you rather the alternative and Penha signs for another club because we no longer exist anymore?
    Fair question and in all honesty you could make a case either way. We are a basket case and of course our existence should come into question the closer we drift to what a ACT club or the Wolves would bring to the comp. As somebody who went through the old NSL days and see there club not get a start in the A League i hate to see the club on this trajectory but it is.

The other side of the coin is we absolutely need to build on this year and that means retaining those players that played a major part in that turnaround. But that will never happen while our billpayers/owners interested in one or more of our players coming off contact and wants there services and has the ability to stimy us financially in retaining said players players.

All i am hearing on here is our ownership model makes it unlikely to keep him, Here is a scoop that is precisely my point and has nothing to do with the question of is the player in question worth it eh.

But anyway we will see what happens. I think the coach nailed it when asked in the interview he held recently.

I can see your point, 380, but under any of our previous ownership models we wouldn't be in a position to pay $700,000 for Penha. The only time we've forked out an amount greater that $700k was for Heskey - and I understand we had help from the FFA with that (but happy to be proven otherwise). We simple cannot, and never have, been able to pay on that level.

Were the other club, say, City or Victory, would we be having the same conversation?

We have our budget. Our budget doesn't include discretionary spend above the cap. It is simply enough to keep us ticking over so the league has a full complement of teams and not a cent is spent unnecessarily while we wait for someone to buy us.

While we are waiting hopefully for a new owner we have to play Moneyball with our recruitment. We did it with Penha. We've done it with Beqa. The consortium will hope we can do it again.
    I reckon Vargas was on the sort of dosh being mentioned for Penha and by any measure Penha runs rings around Vargas. At least Penha done all his best work in the correct third of the park.

Umm that is what everyone has been saying here?

The club can't afford $700k for a player. If the Smurfs can, then they can, we can't.

Bigger clubs outbid smaller clubs in every league in the world and unless we get a billionaire owner who doesn't promptly go bankrupt like our last 2 (probably a little harsh on Lee but the world changed under his feet) then Smurfs, City, Victory and a few others will consistently be able to outbid us.

Not thrilled about it but it is better than not having a club here.

Banned
    700k for Penha

You guys are taking the piss

There is some talent in him but there is little finished product from him and some disciplinary issues that need addressing

If he was worth 700K a season he ain't playing in some backward tinpot league like ours

If Smurfs FC are happy to waste 700k on him let them

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    700k for Penha

There is some talent in him but there is little finished product from him and some disciplinary issues that need addressing

If he was worth 700K a season he ain't playing in some backward tinpot league like ours

Agree like the gaffer said he was from the team coming last in second division and get loaned out from there. Go to the team at the other end of the league and scout a player

700k for Penha

Agree on the disciplinary issues, but 11 assists and 4 goals is enough finished product for me from someone in his role.
    And he's young, and has a better understanding of the league now.
    700k... maybe not, but from Syd perspective it's surely not a waste - they simply can afford it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mic22 View Post
    Agree on the disciplinary issues, but 11 assists and 4 goals is enough finished product for me from someone in his role.
    And he's young, and has a better understanding of the league now.
    700k... maybe not, but from Syd perspective it's surely not a waste - they simply can afford it.
    4 goals is not a good return at all

He is playing as a number 10 in a tinpot league

The guy should be scoring 8 to 12 a season in such a shit competition as ours without even thinking about it

No doubt there is a player in there it is a case of how long it is gonna take to get the player he could be out of him

You think our club has that ability ??

4 goals is not a good return at all

He is playing as a number 10 in a tinpot league

The guy should be scoring 8 to 12 a season in such a shit competition as ours without even thinking about it

No doubt there is a player in there it is a case of how long it is gonna take to get the player he could be out of him

You think our club has that ability ??
    He literally put our attackers right in front of the goal 11 times - plus other times when they didn't score. That's more than just 4 goals in my view. His work rate is very high defensively too.
    Could have scored more? Maybe, but not bad at all for a 1st season.
    I'm happy with the player he is.

Quote Originally Posted by mic22 View Post
    He literally put our attackers right in front of the goal 11 times - plus other times when they didn't score. That's more than just 4 goals in my view. His work rate is very high defensively too.
    Could have scored more? Maybe, but not bad at all for a 1st season.
    I'm happy with the player he is.
    Could have had 20 assists if some of the other great chances he created were put away.
    All opinions expressed here are my own.

"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin

Could have had a lot more of both if he could control his temper. (But I do agree that he got shit service from the refereeing cohort)

Quote Originally Posted by belchardo View Post
    Could have had a lot more of both if he could control his temper. (But I do agree that he got shit service from the refereeing cohort)
    Like any half decently skilled player in the A-League they get very little protection from the refs. Vargas and Rodriguez got hammered in their early games. Vargas somewhat adjusted to compensate. So many skilled players from other teams have copped the same treatment.
    Too many fouls are not blown to allow for the spectacle.
    All opinions expressed here are my own.

"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin

Last updated 9/6/22 09:00 following Wilson, Silvera and Warland departures.

Expired 21/22 and decision outstanding
    5 Ben Kantarovski
    11 Daniel Penha - Loan
    14 Mohamed Al-Taay
    16 Kosta Grozos
    23 Eli Babalj
    28 Blake Archbold

Expiring 22/23
    02 Dane Ingham - signed until 22/23
    03 Jason Hoffman - signed until 22/23
    05 Jordan Elsey - signed until 22/23
    06 Matthew Jurman - signed until 22/23
    09 Beka Mikeltadze - signed until 22/23 #
    27 Lucas Mauragis - signed until 22/23 ^
    32 Angus Thurgate – signed until 22/23
    30 Noah James - signed until 22/23 ^

Expiring 23/24
    20 Michael Weier - signed until 23/24
    23 Jack Duncan - signed until 23/24

Expiring 24/25
    26 Archie Goodwin - signed until 24/25

10 players signed for next season
    - 10 A-League squad players from possible 23
    - 1 Visa spot (Mikeltadze) from possible 5
    - 3 Scholarships (Mauragis, James and Archbold) from possible 3 (?)

Rumoured
    • James McGarry - Defender
    • Jaushua Sotirio - Attacker
    • Reno Piscopo - Attacker/Winger
    • 14 Mohamed Al-Taay (1 year extension)
    • 16 Kosta Grozos (1 year extension)
    Updated
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Rumours Brandon O'Neill is seeking a release from Perth to join the Jets.

https://twitter.com/Farpostperth/sta...84004910567425

Interestingly, he's also a Football House Plus player.
    Last edited by Jeterpool; 10-06-2022 at 12:32 PM.

Rumours Brandon O'Neill is seeking a release from Perth to join the Jets.

https://twitter.com/Farpostperth/sta...84004910567425

Interestingly, he's also a Football House Plus player.
    Id say he’s better then any of the people we released that where filling that spot so that’s a positive but I still would have hoped for something better

Quote Originally Posted by Mark325 View Post
    Id say he’s better then any of the people we released that where filling that spot so that’s a positive but I still would have hoped for something better
    What about Yengi?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark325 View Post
    Agree. O'Neill beside Thurgate as a base is a very good move.