Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Golf Thread

Quote Originally Posted by evolution View Post
    Morisset golf club closing in August, will have to get out there for one last hit.

https://www.theherald.com.au/story/6...close/?cs=7580
    It's a bloody sad day..

https://www.golfindustrycentral.com....-on-august-15/

The owner of the land Drysdale Metals can't justify the expense of owning the land in its current configuration.

They tried to get it rezoned in 2013 but met opposition and their requests were denied.

I'd say the state government has probably backed something this time to circumvent local council and so on blocking a new development / venture.

Sad to see it go but 30 years is a long time to run a business or hold an asset that doesn't make a profit or even wipe its own face.

Hopefully they build us an F1 / V8 Super Car track - or anything really that can actually entertain, make money, and create jobs.

what's everyone using atm

ping K15s
    mizuno MX560 driver & ST180 fairway
    taylor made M4 rescue
    odyssey white hot RX1 putter

none of which helps me whatsoever to score, very good at putting them in trees & dams though

I've restocked my wedges over last few months. Worst part of my game. Been getting some real good advice and picked up awesome Cleveland 56 and 60 degree wedges. The 56 is low bounce and improved me immediately. The 60 is a high bounce lob so between those two I'm now way more confident with those tricky short chips.

Ditched my hybrid 3 in favour of trying to master a 4 iron. Still a work in progress.

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    I've restocked my wedges over last few months. Worst part of my game. Been getting some real good advice and picked up awesome Cleveland 56 and 60 degree wedges. The 56 is low bounce and improved me immediately. The 60 is a high bounce lob so between those two I'm now way more confident with those tricky short chips.

Ditched my hybrid 3 in favour of trying to master a 4 iron. Still a work in progress.
    i've got a cleveland 50 and a wilson staff lob wedge. i hit them great at the range then always undercut them or dolly them on course. ruinous things they are

best club in my bag is the gap wedge, brilliant club

Drive for show putt for dough.

I love my Callaway 60 degree lob wedge. Improved my short game heaps, I used to just putt when just off the green but I'm more confident with a chip now.

Still can't hit my f#@king hybrid though, think I'm going to chuck it and get a 5 wood instead.

Quote Originally Posted by q-money View Post
    i've got a cleveland 50 and a wilson staff lob wedge. i hit them great at the range then always undercut them or dolly them on course. ruinous things they are

best club in my bag is the gap wedge, brilliant club
    if you are hitting off firm fringes around greens (very oz type conditions) look into your bounce and learn how to hit an open stance. i got a good lesson on it on day and between the 56 and 60 wedge, if its firm fairway or fluffy lie one of the clubs is perfect for it. means you can use the same stance/swing on every shot which makes you way more consistent from anywhere within about 30m of the flag.

even carry 2 x 56 wedges in the bag (dont worry bag still has only 14 clubs) one for bunkers one for chipping. essentially the same clubs but for some reason they work different (which is all in my head).
    looked at quite a few online tutorials on chipping and everyone was crapping on about front of stance back of stance, hands up and down the shafts all manner of craziness. lesson i got was pretty much exact opposite and its worked a treat.

best advice you can get is how to declutter everything and not overthink.
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Seems like I am WRONG

Quote Originally Posted by evolution View Post
    Still can't hit my f#@king hybrid though, think I'm going to chuck it and get a 5 wood instead.
    best advice on hybrids is always hit them like irons, not woods. gentler swing, let the club do the work. stick with it, hybrids are dope.
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    Seems like I am WRONG

best advice on hybrids is always hit them like irons, not woods. gentler swing, let the club do the work. stick with it, hybrids are dope.
    my problem with the ping hybrids i had was the way they addressed, always looked wrong when they sat on the ground and subconsciously made me open my hands to try and see the loft.

moved to the taylor made and haven't looked back. amazing how much of the game is between your ears.

Banned
    if you are hitting off firm fringes around greens (very oz type conditions) look into your bounce and learn how to hit an open stance. i got a good lesson on it on day and between the 56 and 60 wedge, if its firm fairway or fluffy lie one of the clubs is perfect for it. means you can use the same stance/swing on every shot which makes you way more consistent from anywhere within about 30m of the flag.

even carry 2 x 56 wedges in the bag (dont worry bag still has only 14 clubs) one for bunkers one for chipping. essentially the same clubs but for some reason they work different (which is all in my head).
    looked at quite a few online tutorials on chipping and everyone was crapping on about front of stance back of stance, hands up and down the shafts all manner of craziness. lesson i got was pretty much exact opposite and its worked a treat.

best advice you can get is how to declutter everything and not overthink.
    Bullshit

If you off the green and it can be putted you put
    If you can't put it you take an iron with as low a loft as you need to chip it and try and keep it as close to a putt like stroke as possible
    If you can't do that it then when you start to use some loft

Reality is unless you are a 12 or under player you shouldn't have a lob wedge or a gap wedge in your possession

Keep the ****er on the ground FFS

Every ****er buys a lob wedge and then thinks they are you Phil Mickelson

Bullshit

If you can't put it you take an iron with as low a loft as you need to chip it and try and keep it as close to a putt like stroke as possible

Reality is unless you are a 12 or under player you shouldn't have a lob wedge or a gap wedge in your possession

So you just run the putt up through the bunkers or skim it across the water hazards?

You sound like a very good and magical golfer congrats.

Banned
    So you just run the putt up through the bunkers or skim it across the water hazards?

You sound like a very good and magical golfer congrats.
    Your not meant to be there are you??

Your not meant to be there are you??
    You're not meant to spell it like that but we cant all be fantastic can we?
    Seems like I am WRONG

completely disagree on the gap wedge. i hit mine 100 consistently with a beaut trajectory (the only club in the bag which does it).

lob wedge agree massively though, but pry it out of my cold dead hands

the crowd demands you play the lob. chipping with low irons is the cowards way, like taking a short priced Duet

I know someone that carried 7 clubs who played off 4.
    And his clubs were just regular clubs - no trick hi-tech drivers or any thing similar.
    He didn't like spending money so he used to join the cheapest affiliated club he could find [usually Stroud] then play as a guest at the better clubs whenever they had a deal / discount on for affiliated players.
    He couldn't drive far - maybe 220m at the most - but did it every time - straight down the middle.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    I know someone that carried 7 clubs who played off 4.
    And his clubs were just regular clubs - no trick hi-tech drivers or any thing similar.
    He didn't like spending money so he used to join the cheapest affiliated club he could find [usually Stroud] then play as a guest at the better clubs whenever they had a deal / discount on for affiliated players.
    Precisely right

Have went and had a game one day with just a 5 iron

Managed to shoot more or less the same score I do anyway

Only having the 1 club just means you get a little more inventive with your shots

The other 13 clubs are really there just to.confuse you

Bullshit

Agreed. I started playing golf at 6 years of age and this is exactly what I was taught.
    The logic is that your worst putt isn't as bad as your worst chip.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 23-05-2019 at 11:19 AM.

Have went and had a game one day with just a 5 iron

Managed to shoot more or less the same score I do anyway
    120 comes in all shapes and sizes huh pal?
    Seems like I am WRONG

i have the RIGHT to carry my lob wedge and none of you will EVER take it away from me