Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020/21 New Coach speculation thread

Quote Originally Posted by Tommyjet View Post
    Saying no to bringing in a new player? He's made some very questionable decisions in the past season and a half but really? Turn down the chance to use someone elses money whilst sitting on the bottom of the ladder? Really
    I wonder if this "available money" was the Champness money?
    There has been consistent rumours about him returning. Fitness issues aside, maybe Ernie had this in mind.

Who bloody knows with this club!
    WE DON'T DO WALKING AWAY !

Not SGE surely, he is 72 and well past it FFS

I wonder if the money is being saved is a strategy ahead of the Independent A-League coming in play next season. Lawrie would be privy to conversations with other CEOs and have a better idea than any one of us about the ambitions, structure, caps etc the new model will implement. Run the new season as lean as you can to put it towards the newer model next year when financial restrictions might actually be loosened.

He mentions in the video on the Jets site that Martin's business is picking up, so it's just a theory I have.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by Alton View Post
    Not SGE surely, he is 72 and well past it FFS
    Listening to Lawrie's comments about it on the Jets website (15 minute video that's worthwhile watching) he laughs it off. I think it's a big name for paper talk but surely one that isn't seriously being considered.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    I don't buy it that Ernie was offered money to buy another player and said no.

Lawrie needs to go. He simply cannot be trusted.
    I agree completely and would be great to know what is Lawrie's definition of money to bring in a player.Was the amount significant enough to make the search worthwhile and bring in someone of decent quality or is he talking not much more than min wage funds like he is on the record as saying " somebody elses A League bench player ".

Quote Originally Posted by 380 View Post
    I agree completely and would be great to know what is Lawrie's definition of money to bring in a player.Was the amount significant enough to make the search worthwhile and bring in someone of decent quality or is he talking not much more than min wage funds like he is on the record as saying " somebody elses A League bench player ".
    The quote in the paper I felt misrepresented how Lawrie answered that question. To me, and I don't think his story has changed throughout the season, they have some funds to look for players, but not a large amount. They have found or been offered some players that were within those funds, took them to Ernie who wasn't interested in that player. To say that Ernie wasn't interested in signing any new players is false.

The thing with the assistant coach was mentioned earlier in the season too, so that's not new. My thoughts were that when Zane left, the club would have offered Ernie "x" or "y" as assistants, and he probably went eh, don't worry about it.

Hopefully the business picking up for Lee continues, and he / the club are able to resolve the situation of being unable to get money out of China.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I wonder if the money is being saved is a strategy ahead of the Independent A-League coming in play next season. Lawrie would be privy to conversations with other CEOs and have a better idea than any one of us about the ambitions, structure, caps etc the new model will implement. Run the new season as lean as you can to put it towards the newer model next year when financial restrictions might actually be loosened.

He mentions in the video on the Jets site that Martin's business is picking up, so it's just a theory I have.
    Even when his business was doing poorly he still had a net worth double that of David Traktovenko who owns Sydney FC.
    Hence, it's more Lawrie bullshit to give false hope to the fans about the owner investing in the team again.

I wonder if the money is being saved is a strategy ahead of the Independent A-League coming in play next season
    I don't believe this is the case any more. From what I've heard this is being pushed back 3.5 years until the end of the current Fox deal.
    Last edited by evolution; 07-01-2020 at 03:44 PM.

Oh....please be Sven! And bring back Special 1 TV while we're at it....

"Sven - I am the special one and I am leading the Tottenham in the Champions League.....meanwhile you are pimping yourself in a country full of kangaroos, wait till I tell the Voyeur this".

Nobody has noted either that no Ernie may mean no more Ridenton?
    Only one bloke on this foz constantly makes me laugh Plague and it ain't you - MFKS

Listening to Lawrie's comments about it on the Jets website (15 minute video that's worthwhile watching) he laughs it off. I think it's a big name for paper talk but surely one that isn't seriously being considered.
    https://www.newcastlejets.com.au/vid...a-january-2020
    Life isn't the same without Con... but it can only improve without Tinks...

If the club did bring in someone like Muscat or Sven then you'd need to ask why wasn't this money available to Ernie for buying the players we needed to be competitive?

I can't imagine Muscat being interested - but if he was I'd e very happy. He's a great coach and doesn't tolerate anyone not giving their all.

Sven doesn't have enough experience with state league quality players to be anything more than a marketing stooge for the club.

EDIT: I stand corrected - did not know Sven was in Philippines.
    If you read the SMH article. There was money available but Merrick chose not to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Skirt Boy View Post
    If you read the SMH article. There was money available but Merrick chose not to use it.
    Money available and enough to buy a decent player are not the same thing.

The Proof. The club never made a competitive bid for Nabbout when he became available.

Lawrie is full of shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Skirt Boy View Post

"We've not got a lot of money but we've definitely got money to bring in a player or two," McKinna said. "There's a lot of good under-23 players with other teams who are looking for a game."

That is far cry from the sort of funds required to fix this sinking ship. I think Ernie was on the record of saying pretty much that if the money is not going to get you much better that what you have already why bother. Our Gypo CEO would have been better to refer to that money that was available as loose change to buy somebody elses squaddie or bench player at best. Hardly a real solution to the problem.

Money available and enough to buy a decent player are not the same thing.

The Proof. The club never made a competitive bid for Nabbout when he became available.

Lawrie is full of shit.
    From memory Nabbout was more a case of him totally bypassing us, we didn't even know he was available until he'd penned the deal with MV because he/his management never let us know, so I don't think it's fair to say we got the chance to make an offer or decline to make one either
    Life isn't the same without Con... but it can only improve without Tinks...

Quote Originally Posted by turbojetfireV8 View Post
    From memory Nabbout was more a case of him totally bypassing us, we didn't even know he was available until he'd penned the deal with MV because he/his management never let us know, so I don't think it's fair to say we got the chance to make an offer or decline to make one either
    Nah, we made an offer for him but it wasn't competitive. It was mentioned a few weeks after he signed for them.

I'd assume we offered him the same wages he was on before he left. So there was zero chance he wasn't going to take them. McKinna just low-balling to save face.
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

Well Rojas is a free agent at the moment (He left his Danish club few weeks ago) and has played under Muscat (Who is a successful coach and a grub who will restore discipline and leadership). But are they interested ???
    Dare to Zlatan

Originally Posted by Grimario

He won't make that mistake at Newcastle since our team is full of number 2's.

According to the man himself at the season launch, Nabbout became a free agent and after discussion with his wife wanted to return to Melbourne for when they had their first child. He said he did promise to contact Lawrie first but that "circumstances change" and he had not contacted the Jets. It was the interview where you can hear Boogaard yell out "you had your chance!"

We move on - Nicky Carle and Griff also said they would not go anywhere else on return.

Anyway my money is on Okon if he wants the job.
    Last edited by Jetmaster; 08-01-2020 at 08:59 AM.
    Only one bloke on this foz constantly makes me laugh Plague and it ain't you - MFKS

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    According to the man himself at the season launch, Nabbout became a free agent and after discussion with his wife wanted to return to Melbourne for when they had their first child. He said he did promise to contact Lawrie first but that "circumstances change" and he had not contacted the Jets. It was the interview where you can hear Boogaard yell out "you had your chance!"

We move on - Nicky Carle and Griff also said they would not go anywhere else on return.

I'd be happy with Okon having a 2nd stint as coach at the Jets. He was great in season 2.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post

Griff went no where else when he came back
    So don't spread lies

Next thing you be peddling that BS that he didn't score the winning goal in the GF