Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Cooking Thread

deadset some of the posts in here are worse than plague's earlier clanger praising 5 seconds of summer

If you have a dishwasher, run the jars through the hottest cycle you can without them breaking, obviously no detergent. Failing that, book the jars for ten minutes.

Mrs Grim also said that big w has a ball mason preserver starter kit with a heap of good stuff in it. They also stock top quality jars. Alternatively, spotlight has some as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    Grim & belchardo - please ask if there are any tricks they use for removing air that might get caught in the mixture while pouring/spooning it into the jar.
    Put everything in hot, put the lid on while still hot then let it cool and settle upside down. Helps seal the jar and keep longer.

Banned
    Let fly the recipes then of your special dishes you like doing.

My best dish

1kg green prawns. Shelled completely. If you want to go to the hassle of deveining them knock yourself out

In the wok dollop of oil half a tea spoon of chilli flakes or better yet the real mcoy and clove of crushed garlic.
    Brown prawns for 2-3 mins

Then throw in 100 grams of black olives sliced (about the size you get at Subway)
    Fresh Basil Leaves diced to about 1cm square chunks
    250 grams Semi Dried Tomatoes
    1 Diced Brown onion
    Throw in another clove of crushed garlic and the other 1/2 teaspoon of chilli flakes

Now more tomatoes are required I usually use the little cherries I grow in the garden cut in half If you have nice juicy tomatoes of any size they will suffice. If you don't then I recommend a tin of diced tomatoes from the supermarket. Your after the juice to fill up the wok and infuse the dish

Cook for 5 mins and serve with rice

The Chilli is the key ingredient. Up it as much as you like but don't downgrade it if you don't like the stuff. The dish is meant to have some tang

I have tried this with other shit I like Mushrooms Carrots Snowpeas etc
    Don't **** with something simple is my advice

That will serve 4-6 depending on how fat you ****s are

Courtesy of q:

http://cooksuck.com/

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDyl
    You're funnier on the internet than you are in person.
    Quote Originally Posted by q-money View Post
    the NF law...the longer the thread stays open, the probablity that the thread becomes about joel griffiths approaches 1

Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    If you have a dishwasher, run the jars through the hottest cycle you can without them breaking, obviously no detergent. Failing that, book the jars for ten minutes.

Mrs Grim also said that big w has a ball mason preserver starter kit with a heap of good stuff in it. They also stock top quality jars. Alternatively, spotlight has some as well.

Put everything in hot, put the lid on while still hot then let it cool and settle upside down. Helps seal the jar and keep longer.
    my wife agreed, but she boils the jars and then puts them in a low temp oven (100-120C) until dry. keep warm in the oven and fill.

my tips: good quality apron, a funnel, and good heat resistant gloves. that stuff is f'ing hot, sugary and sticky (if it's a jam). you don't want it on you.

Quote Originally Posted by belchardo View Post
    my wife agreed, but she boils the jars and then puts them in a low temp oven (100-120C) until dry. keep warm in the oven and fill.

my tips: good quality apron, a funnel, and good heat resistant gloves. that stuff is f'ing hot, sugary and sticky (if it's a jam). you don't want it on you.

Cheers gents
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Going on friday night to a cooking event with my cousin and a few friends for his birthday (this is switzerland for you, birthday last year in december) birthday gift friday.

Basically you go to a place heap of kitchen setups and get instructed in cooking a dish cook it all yourself and then eat. A little special etc..

Not sure if something that exist in aus, will report on what we cook and how it went
    Amigos Aarau

космонавт-исследователь boz-monaut's Avatar
    I cooked duck for the first time ever the other night - I normally order duck in restaurants cause it's something I could never get hold of

just a maryland in the oven with roast veg

not bad, but my gosh it stinks to **** when it's raw

nearly as bad as cooking kangaroo

Quote Originally Posted by boz-monaut View Post
    I cooked duck for the first time ever the other night - I normally order duck in restaurants cause it's something I could never get hold of

just a maryland in the oven with roast veg

not bad, but my gosh it stinks to **** when it's raw

nearly as bad as cooking kangaroo
    Really? Never would have guessed that. Good tip.

What will you change for next time?

I tried my chutney on Tuesday and Wednesday. Tasted alright but there was no chili zing. Needed the seeds left in and maybe an extra chili or two.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Tasted alright but there was no chili zing. Needed the seeds left in and maybe an extra chili or two.
    I'll give you some ghost chili's to put in for some extra "zing" if you would like, mate..

Quote Originally Posted by Bon View Post
    I'll give you some ghost chili's to put in for some extra "zing" if you would like, mate..
    I think i'll be ok mate ha ha!

Cooking session was the bomb.. so much fun in a in a group of 13 in 3 cooking stations...

(a little to much wine by the end of the night)
    Amigos Aarau

Bump for this thread.

The wife is interested in getting a Thermomix and we had a demonstration yesterday. I'm not convinced because for the money, I don't think we would get the use.

Who here has one (I assume Hawk's chef has at least 3) and how often do you use it? What do you make and have you found it value for money? Can it handle a capacity to feed your family? Has the novelty of it worn off?

космонавт-исследователь boz-monaut's Avatar
    have one, but it's not for me as I can cook

the missus uses it for risotto and will use it for baby food but really if you can cook it's a waste, if you can't, it might be handy

hey boz, how much different is the risotto to something you can knock up yourself? it's all i've ever seen people cook in a thermomix

it looks like it takes away the best part of cooking a risotto, that is getting stuck into the cooking wine while stirring it

OK

Quote Originally Posted by boz-monaut View Post
    have one, but it's not for me as I can cook

the missus uses it for risotto and will use it for baby food but really if you can cook it's a waste, if you can't, it might be handy
    Thanks Boz.

Bump for this thread.

The wife is interested in getting a Thermomix and we had a demonstration yesterday. I'm not convinced because for the money, I don't think we would get the use.

Who here has one (I assume Hawk's chef has at least 3) and how often do you use it? What do you make and have you found it value for money? Can it handle a capacity to feed your family? Has the novelty of it worn off?
    We have one of the old TM31's. We use it to feed a family of four.

Ours gets used pretty much daily. Curries, Stroganoff, various parts of a lasagna, friday night soup night, pizza dough...... Wife makes dips and crap in it, but I'm not into that stuff.

I can cook without it, but I'm lazy and between work and the kids I'll cut corners where I can making dinner. Thermomix is good for that.

When the kids were babies we did use it to make baby food. We chop left over veggies up for the chickens in it.

Still cant cook a steak though and that alone should halve its asking price.

Quote Originally Posted by sammydog View Post
    We have one of the old TM31's. We use it to feed a family of four.

Ours gets used pretty much daily. Curries, Stroganoff, various parts of a lasagna, friday night soup night, pizza dough...... Wife makes dips and crap in it, but I'm not into that stuff.

I can cook without it, but I'm lazy and between work and the kids I'll cut corners where I can making dinner. Thermomix is good for that.

When the kids were babies we did use it to make baby food. We chop left over veggies up for the chickens in it.

Still cant cook a steak though and that alone should halve its asking price.
    Thanks Sammydog. Would you say you've found it value for money with the use you've had from it?

Broke in my new spit roaster with a pork leg yesterday, pretty how much I will be spending every Sunday arvo from now on.

Watching meat spin over a fire, sitting on the deck drinking beer its fantastic.