Page 35 of 52 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Premier Club SAP

Seems like we always land back on this same subject which is extremely subjective.

Pros for playing in one position. They become very good in one position.
    Pros for playing in different positions. They become good in playing different positions.

I think it should be less Black and White and more grey. By grey I think with correct planning and good communication a coach can facilitate a player to play in areas of the pitch to improve the player rather than always playing different positions.

Quote Originally Posted by Goatscheese View Post
    Some parents are the same as well and may put pressure on coach. I've heard at least one story of a mother complaining to the coach and then the TD about their U9 son being put in the back line during games because "he is a striker and has always played as a striker". The kid is 8yo, anyone who believes that rubbish shouldn't be allowed to say anything
    Having seen most of the teams on a few occasions I havent seen kids stuck in one position. Maybe Kids playing more time in those positions.

Agree, all players need to experience different positions. By 12s you'll start to find favoured spots but it's never a final place.

Has the Jets 13s for next year been announced yet? pretty sure a few seem to already know

Quote Originally Posted by djjones View Post
    Having seen most of the teams on a few occasions I havent seen kids stuck in one position. Maybe Kids playing more time in those positions.

Agree, all players need to experience different positions. By 12s you'll start to find favoured spots but it's never a final place.
    Depends on the methods employed by coaches as well.
    Some coaches shift kids around within the same match, others prefer to keep players consistent in a single match but shift the players around in different games.
    All opinions expressed here are my own.

"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin

at SAP level?

Where there's not even actual positions in the context of 11 v 11, so the passages of play will be different to real football?

SAP = Skills Acquisition Phase, so they should be acquiring the skills necessary to be a good footballer. You need experience all over the pitch to do that. How many failed strikers or number 10s do we produce in this country who would have had a much, much better chance at turning pro if they had pursued life as a two-footed left fullback?

Even once theyre in an 11 v 11 environment eg all of youth football they should be gaining experience in 'complimentary' positions. Eg, CB/LB/RB spending some time in the 6 to assist with their distribution and to put a bit more pressure on them/give them less time on the ball. Or a winger/striker spending some time in a fullback role that is encouraged to get forward/create overloads etc.

Makes them a better player, and sometimes you find that their skillsets are better suited there as they get older and understand the game more.

By playing kids in the one spot their whole life, they get to senior football and can only do one thing, and if someone is better than them in their position, they have to switch clubs or get used to the bench.

So, I agree with you about putting a player in complementary areas, but you can do that in 14s-16s, when they are learning how the game works, tactics, positional roles etc. As little ones, playing all over the pitch gives them exposure to every single skill, and tbh as a youth coach, humbles them a little bit. Too many kids think they're a striker and a striker only, which isn't always something that you cant fix - its when the parent does too thats the killer.

Has the Jets 13s for next year been announced yet? pretty sure a few seem to already know
    Personally I hope not, having a daughter in the Jets 13’s this year and not knowing what’s going on next year. I would hope they would inform their current players of what is happening with them before announcing any new players.

Quote Originally Posted by onlooker View Post
    Personally I hope not, having a daughter in the Jets 13’s this year and not knowing what’s going on next year. I would hope they would inform their current players of what is happening with them before announcing any new players.
    All supposed to be happening in September from what I've heard, but now the Sydney comp has been scrapped for the year today who knows what's going on.

At this point, would you accept a position at the jets? 2 years pretty much wasted in Sydney and no guarantee next season will be any different. They might even be better off going back to their old theory of playing a year higher in the northern comp.
    I’m sure it will pay off one day but there may be a whole bunch of footballers who sacrificed their development for the cause.

Quote Originally Posted by BS detecor View Post
    At this point, would you accept a position at the jets? 2 years pretty much wasted in Sydney and no guarantee next season will be any different. They might even be better off going back to their old theory of playing a year higher in the northern comp.
    I’m sure it will pay off one day but there may be a whole bunch of footballers who sacrificed their development for the cause.
    Good question. Maybe yes as it is a superior comp but they need to maintain superior coaches and get better facilities.

There still isnt much benefit in high achievement by the end of Jets Youth. However if you stay in nlp youth here you are nl1 or zpl in the end

Quote Originally Posted by jessepinkman View Post
    at SAP level?

Where there's not even actual positions in the context of 11 v 11, so the passages of play will be different to real football?

SAP = Skills Acquisition Phase, so they should be acquiring the skills necessary to be a good footballer. You need experience all over the pitch to do that. How many failed strikers or number 10s do we produce in this country who would have had a much, much better chance at turning pro if they had pursued life as a two-footed left fullback?

Even once theyre in an 11 v 11 environment eg all of youth football they should be gaining experience in 'complimentary' positions. Eg, CB/LB/RB spending some time in the 6 to assist with their distribution and to put a bit more pressure on them/give them less time on the ball. Or a winger/striker spending some time in a fullback role that is encouraged to get forward/create overloads etc.

Makes them a better player, and sometimes you find that their skillsets are better suited there as they get older and understand the game more.

By playing kids in the one spot their whole life, they get to senior football and can only do one thing, and if someone is better than them in their position, they have to switch clubs or get used to the bench.

So, I agree with you about putting a player in complementary areas, but you can do that in 14s-16s, when they are learning how the game works, tactics, positional roles etc. As little ones, playing all over the pitch gives them exposure to every single skill, and tbh as a youth coach, humbles them a little bit. Too many kids think they're a striker and a striker only, which isn't always something that you cant fix - its when the parent does too thats the killer.
    This is exactly the way I see things Jesse. It makes me crazy hearing that children (and I mean children!) have a set soccer position. It is silly enough when it is said at 13 and 14 years old, but in JDL age groups it blows my mind.

If a parent/coach/player in JDL won't provide that variety then it will be very difficult for the child to reach their potential in older age groups.

The modern game in Europe thrives on pace, athleticism and adaptability. Please coaches - move your players around!! Please parents - let your child's coach do their thing!!

A

Quote Originally Posted by onlooker View Post
    Well wouldn't your daughter be in Jets 14s next year?

Quote Originally Posted by Goatscheese View Post
    Well wouldn't your daughter be in Jets 14s next year?
    that is correct and I know announcing a new intake of 13’s would have no effect on what happens to her next year, just wouldn’t mind seeing them giving some info to current players first that’s all.

Thats why I asked about 13s specifically. If doesnt undermine any players already there.

That being said, it would be beneficial for Kew and Co to announce their future plans going ahead in 22 so all current players can make plans.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldy View Post
    Thats why I asked about 13s specifically. If doesnt undermine any players already there.

That being said, it would be beneficial for Kew and Co to announce their future plans going ahead in 22 so all current players can make plans.
    They’ve expand the 12s TSP squad for cycle two, surely that’s enough of an indication as to who they’ve got in mind for the Jets 13s

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Isthisforreal View Post
    They’ve expand the 12s TSP squad for cycle two, surely that’s enough of an indication as to who they’ve got in mind for the Jets 13s
    Is there a names list for cycle 2?

Quote Originally Posted by traffic light View Post
    Is there a names list for cycle 2?
    I’m sure their parents know. Hearing magic got a number through

Quote Originally Posted by THEBIGCHEESE View Post
    Pros for playing in one position. They become very good in one position.
    Pros for playing in different positions. They become good in playing different positions.

I think it should be less Black and White and more grey. By grey I think with correct planning and good communication a coach can facilitate a player to play in areas of the pitch to improve the player rather than always playing different positions.
    For mine, they learn more by rotation so eventually theyll be even better in that one position plus able to to a job somewhere else on short notice.
    More enjoyable too.

Seen some good kids stifled and undone by fixed positions particularly when stuck at the back.

Quote Originally Posted by Isthisforreal View Post
    Cycle 2? What happens here, do they have a certain amount of spots and just replace a couple of kids between cycles?
    Are the cycles school terms or just a defined time period?

Edit - Never mind, I looked it up and found the link:
    https://northernnswfootball.com.au/w...2021-FINAL.pdf
    Last edited by Aegon; 17-08-2021 at 09:46 AM. Reason: Link to information
    All opinions expressed here are my own.

"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin

This scenario i see too often from community up to JDL.

Tommy has good skill. Is good at forward, mids and backs. Ian is average skill, terribly costly at back, ok in mid and ok at front.

Tommy is put at back 75% of the time to sure up defence. Ian develops ok in mids and front and mostly avoid the backs.
    So the weaker Ian gets rewarded with "better" positions and I feel more development or do you stick Ian at the back for large parts until he can learn defence?

Im going part B even if they lose most games.

Quote Originally Posted by Aegon View Post
    Cycle 2? What happens here, do they have a certain amount of spots and just replace a couple of kids between cycles?
    Are the cycles school terms or just a defined time period?

Edit - Never mind, I looked it up and found the link:
    https://northernnswfootball.com.au/w...2021-FINAL.pdf
    Cycle 2 might be thrown out now due to Covid. Surely theyd have the Jets squad just about picked by now.