Page 60 of 96 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270 ... LastLast
Results 1,181 to 1,200 of 1903

Thread: The Music Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    This sounds more like my problems than the bands inabilities, haha.
    It's because you didn't have a hectic long fringe..
    I believe that's the secret to both of those bands..

Quote Originally Posted by Bon View Post
    It's because you didn't have a hectic long fringe..
    I believe that's the secret to both of those bands..
    I've had plenty of rubbish haircuts in my time so I won't comment too much on that one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    I've had plenty of rubbish haircuts in my time so I won't comment too much on that one.
    Yeaaaaaaaah I won't be making too many comments either..

Some kids on Youtube have covered the Smashing Pumpkins Siamese Dream Album to commemorate 25 years since its release.

The drummer is absolutely off the charts talented. Guitarist / Vocalist and Bass Player do a fine job as well.

Last edited by The Dunster; 28-08-2018 at 01:28 PM.

What are peoples thoughts on politics in music??
    Yeah or nah?

Just got me thinking, cause ETID singer got stuck in to Trump supporters lately (basically saying how please he was that he didn't see any MAGA hats in the crowd) and had a lot of them blowing up at him about alienating them..
    He then proceeded to tell them "at what point in my 25 year involvement with a socially conscious hardcore/punk scene did I give anyone the impression that I would pander to bigots? my band doesn’t need you. nobody does. smash nazis at every turn" - I haven't worked out how to copy and paste twitter stuff..

Definitely has more credence when it's a clearly intelligent band that has politics, social commentary at the core of their artistic work. Bands like Propaghandi, Bad Religion etc that undertake intelligent social and political commentary in their lyrics and are 'real' are always my go to and will encourage me to learn more about concepts I was previously unaware of.

The mainstream crew that don't take steps that could alienate a fanbase by being too political (not that they write their own lyrics anyway) but have a bit of political chat outside of their music are of course entitled to their views and use their platform to preach them, but I personally am much more likely to take less notice of their views...and lives...and music.

and Bono is a dick.

Anyone else going to Queens Of The Stone Age tomorrow night at the Newy Ent Cent??

(Also: I've got a spare ticket to sell now that the Better Half has had to go away for work..)

New Eminem dropped earlier today. Zero promo, just arrived.

New Alice in Chains in the last week too. They certainly released the best track to promo the album.

Anyone else going to Queens Of The Stone Age tomorrow night at the Newy Ent Cent??

(Also: I've got a spare ticket to sell now that the Better Half has had to go away for work..)
    Wish I had seen this post, I would have been your bitch for the night.

I went to the Hordern last night to see them. Awesome show, forgot how much I love that venue.

Similar set to newcastle by the looks of it with a few bonus songs in sydney. Still pissed I didnt go to both shows as I originally planned to do.

Extra songs in sydney were,

- Regular John
    - Do It Again
    - Misfit Love
    - I appear missing

Quote Originally Posted by sammydog View Post
    Wish I had seen this post, I would have been your bitch for the night.

I went to the Hordern last night to see them. Awesome show, forgot how much I love that venue.

Similar set to newcastle by the looks of it with a few bonus songs in sydney. Still pissed I didnt go to both shows as I originally planned to do.

Extra songs in sydney were,

- Regular John
    - Do It Again
    - Misfit Love
    - I appear missing
    Yeah, I came away from the Newy show with mixed feelings..
    I hadn't listened to any of their stuff since 2002's Songs For The Deaf.. So there were a few spots in the set that I was going "Ummmm.. don't know this one"..

As a whole, the band were tight as fvck.. They are obviously all really skilled and talented musicians..
    Jon Theodore - Certainly can play drums.
    Shuman was brilliant on the bass. I found myself watching him mostly, sounded pretty bloody amazing from where we were..
    Troy Van Leeuwen is a weird little dude, but damn he can play.. There's something unsettling about an old bloke rocking out in a crazysnake suit with huge heels and a fedora..
    The keyboard/multi-instrument dude was brilliant too.

This brings me to Josh Homme.. After all of his past discrepancies (kicking that chick in the head, homophobic rants, etc) I was a bit conflicted on what to think of him.. Sort of along the lines of Phil from Pantera, I love the band, but am not necessarily in to what the front-man has been saying/doing..
    So I would just like to clarify that after the show, any suspicions that Homme is a bit of an egotistical wanker were allayed.
    He is.
    Musically, his voice, guitar playing and overall tone was tops. Just a pity that his idiotic ranting and his "i need to keep trying to trash stuff" attitude seemed to overshadow it.

Yeah, I came away from the Newy show with mixed feelings..
    I hadn't listened to any of their stuff since 2002's Songs For The Deaf.. So there were a few spots in the set that I was going "Ummmm.. don't know this one"..

As a whole, the band were tight as fvck.. They are obviously all really skilled and talented musicians..
    Jon Theodore - Certainly can play drums.
    Shuman was brilliant on the bass. I found myself watching him mostly, sounded pretty bloody amazing from where we were..
    Troy Van Leeuwen is a weird little dude, but damn he can play.. There's something unsettling about an old bloke rocking out in a crazysnake suit with huge heels and a fedora..
    The keyboard/multi-instrument dude was brilliant too.

This brings me to Josh Homme.. After all of his past discrepancies (kicking that chick in the head, homophobic rants, etc) I was a bit conflicted on what to think of him.. Sort of along the lines of Phil from Pantera, I love the band, but am not necessarily in to what the front-man has been saying/doing..
    So I would just like to clarify that after the show, any suspicions that Homme is a bit of an egotistical wanker were allayed.
    He is.
    Musically, his voice, guitar playing and overall tone was tops. Just a pity that his idiotic ranting and his "i need to keep trying to trash stuff" attitude seemed to overshadow it.
    Interesting, Homme didnt have a huge amount to say in Sydney. Had to fill in some time when he knocked the mic off the stand and struggled to get it back in, but he wasn't ranting. He didn't knock some lighting stuff over which looked pretty contrived, late in the show moved to the main PA stack on the right of stage, started pushing it but looked to think the better of it and move on.

I completely agree with the comparison to Phil from Pantera. He pretty much put me off one of my favourite bands while they were in there prime. Didn't help that he had a prima donna moment last time I saw them, cracked the shits and left after 45min. Homme though didn't produce the stereotype I was expecting which was good.

Band was tight, Van Leeuwen is brilliant (and he isn't "that" old). I wasn't into A Perfect Circle when he was in it, but I think the Queens albums he is on are the better ones. For me though the last two albums have easily been the strongest (funnily enough, the most consistent with line up as well). His tone live is insane, been trying to work it out but failing miserably. Likewise Homme's tone is pretty special.

Next gig is Tumbleweed at the Cambridge.

Anyone who likes Hardcore/Metalcore Architects just released a new song and its awesome

Quote Originally Posted by StannyCFCJET View Post
    Anyone who likes Hardcore/Metalcore Architects just released a new song and its awesome
    This is the song you mean, yeah Stanny?

I was a HUGE fan of early Architects stuff, particularly their albums Nightmare and Ruin.. I'm kinda torn on this new stuff..
    It's got elements of their original sound, the screaming verses, technical guitar parts.. The addition of Josh Middleton (Sylosis) to the band can only be a good thing for them, the blokes a maniac on guitar and CAN sing/scream/yell..
    Similar to Parkway Drive, I just can't handle the sing-along choruses, trance-y bits, and the over-polished sound.. I realise that thats what makes it better for a lot of people though, so good on them..

This is the Architects I remember seeing live back in about '09..
    They've definitely gone a long way..

I was a HUGE fan of early Architects stuff, particularly their albums Nightmare and Ruin.. I'm kinda torn on this new stuff..
    It's got elements of their original sound, the screaming verses, technical guitar parts.. The addition of Josh Middleton (Sylosis) to the band can only be a good thing for them, the blokes a maniac on guitar and CAN sing/scream/yell..
    Similar to Parkway Drive, I just can't handle the sing-along choruses, trance-y bits, and the over-polished sound.. I realise that thats what makes it better for a lot of people though, so good on them..
    The new stuff wreaks of Harvard MBA's / Accountants having far too much involvement in the music. All the raw energy of the earlier stuff has been replaced by this glossed over shit designed to appeal to a wider audience. Long story short - They sold out.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    The new stuff wreaks of Harvard MBA's / Accountants having far too much involvement in the music. All the raw energy of the earlier stuff has been replaced by this glossed over shit designed to appeal to a wider audience. Long story short - They sold out.
    Thanks mate..
    I was starting to feel like a bit of an old, cranky, negative bastard always saying "I can see why its popular, but its not for me".. haha

Yeah this is the song and I love all the bits you dislike haha.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    I don't see this as selling out at all. If this is selling out I wouldn't mind if other bands had sold out to this quality

Yeah this is the song and I love all the bits you dislike haha.
    hahaha.. Thats what is so great about music.. Each to their own..
    I'm just happy to see some heavier stuff getting more mainstream coverage..

hahaha.. Thats what is so great about music.. Each to their own..
    I'm just happy to see some heavier stuff getting more mainstream coverage..
    Yeah sadly I don't listen to heavy music as much as I should. Hell hadn't heard of Architects until their vocalist did a guest appearance on a pop punk song. I need to explore/discover more heavy bands

I don't see this as selling out at all. If this is selling out I wouldn't mind if other bands had sold out to this quality
    Polishing turds with Pro Tools is not music Stanny. It limits musicians in that everyone sounds the same.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 14-09-2018 at 11:38 AM.