Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Computer nerds..

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I currently have an older Apple TV which doesn't have all the Free-to-air catch up services on it. Only has Channel 10 and doesn't support the others.

Is there a box, like Chromecast, Foxtel Box or equivalent that has all FTA catch up services on them? Struggling to find adequate information.
    foxtel now? mobile phone app

or peruse these. good luck
    https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum/126?g=188
    Last edited by hawk; 21-12-2017 at 02:30 PM.

I haven't used it too much, I mostly watch shows on my PC.
    But the folks have a Telstra TV hooked up to the big screen that I believe they got from Telstra for free, has all the FTA services as well as youtube and netflix.

I have also used a chromecast, I don't think it has any services built into it from my understanding - its used as a mirror of sorts controlled by apps on your phone or iPad etc. I watch netflix on it sometimes - open up netflix in the phone, pick your show and hit the chromecast option (looks like a screen with a wifi symbol on it). The chromecast then proceeds to stream the show you've instructed it to watch with your phone - the phone does not stream then transmit.

So I imagine if got the FTA apps on your phone you could use the chromecast to watch those.

I currently have an older Apple TV which doesn't have all the Free-to-air catch up services on it. Only has Channel 10 and doesn't support the others.

Is there a box, like Chromecast, Foxtel Box or equivalent that has all FTA catch up services on them? Struggling to find adequate information.
    It's difficult because the affiliations between brands and apps changes from year to year and model to model. LG used to have Foxtel App - now only on some models. Samsung does have the foxtel app now, in the past it wasn't always available.

The Telstra box Macca mentions sounds good as it has all the apps now - but remember - it may not be the case in a years time - so keep that in mind as well before you part with your cash.

You could always get a better TV if that's an option - Smart TV's now are pretty awesome - and not as ridiculously priced as they were in the past.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 21-12-2017 at 05:24 PM.

Hey mate, this might help -

Freeview FV Chromecast support is available for both iOS and Android devices.

Freeview FV delivers live streaming of 20 free-to-air TV channels and the catch-up content from all broadcasters. Available channels include: ABC, SBS, Seven, Channel 9, TEN, ONE, Eleven ABC2/ABC KIDS, ABC ME, ABC News 24, SBS VICELAND, Food Network, NITV, 7TWO, 7Mate, 7Flix, Racing.com, 9Gem, 9Go! and 9Life. More live channels will be added as they become available, Freeview says.
    From - https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2017/05/f...hromecast-now/

Let me know if you want a Chromecast (if you don't already have one). JB Hi Fi have a sweet deal on at the minute whereby you get Google Home, Home Mini and a Chromecast for a good price in a bundle. I wouldn't ever use the Chromecast, so it's yours if you want it #Xmas

The Optus Fetch box (which I got for EPL natch) has all the FTA catchups as well, though why on earth do you want FTA?

Or get a good quality Android box with Kodi - then you can pretty much watch anything if you are techy enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    The Optus Fetch box (which I got for EPL natch) has all the FTA catchups as well, though why on earth do you want FTA?

Or get a good quality Android box with Kodi - then you can pretty much watch anything if you are techy enough.
    So how does the felch box work? Need big $ accounts to connect to Optus?

Im asking cause Im trying to work out how to watch all of World Cup which is also on fking Optass

Quote Originally Posted by hawk View Post
    So how does the felch box work? Need big $ accounts to connect to Optus?

Im asking cause Im trying to work out how to watch all of World Cup which is also on fking Optass
    Yeah I moved everything to Optus to coincide with NBN. Full high speed internet plus Fetch costs me $110 a month.

There is a 14 day free trial for the app at the moment so you can try that. The app and the Fetch are both different beasts and each has its own advantages.

I started using my phone plugged into the TV with an MHL connector - data free with an Optus phone.

hmmm im gonna have to look further into it as the cups draws nearer.

Ill do some sort of subscription if the OS options arent reliable

Many people have bought a $45 a month SIM that they never use and hookup to the website.

Cancel after the WC.

Read Whirlpool - there are ways and means.

Many people have bought a $45 a month SIM that they never use and hookup to the website.

Cancel after the WC.

Read Whirlpool - there are ways and means.
    Been on there. some helpful options but nothing concrete

Quote Originally Posted by hawk View Post
    Been on there. some helpful options but nothing concrete
    tbh the best workaround im seeing at the moment is to get a VPN and sign up for a legit streaming service O/S to watch. No schedule has been unveiled yet but BBC, ITV (pommies) and Direct TV (which includes yanks WC broadcaster) have month to month plans. looks like between $45-65 will get you every game in HD on your internerd machine.

havent seen too many other (english speaking) countries yet that have a better option. at best Optus will prob only offer a package in SD or aids vision anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Seems like I am WRONG

Another workaround is to find a mate with Optus Sports and do a deal to get his login to get into the app.

There is a limit to how many devices can run at the same time - something like three devices or a device plus a Fetch.

Banned
    Any advice on how to best exploit a Google Play gift Card I got for XMAS??

Have had about $35 on my Google account for best part of 4-5 years now as I don't really use it other than having bought the odd app for the phone

Enlighten me on some ideas on how to get some value from the present rather than just wasting it trialling apps I don't really need

You could sign up for Google music on the 4 month free deal then use the rest of the credit taking it out to almost 3 months?

Other options are digital books or hiring movies.

Buy movies.

I use Google for everything (music, TV, films, etc). I think it's marginally cheaper than iTunes, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Couscous View Post
    Buy movies.

I use Google for everything (music, TV, films, etc). I think it's marginally cheaper than iTunes, etc.
    Pfft - not as cheap as PB.

parksey and gallaway's stillborn child la bazzle's Avatar
    Anyone know the better options for extending wifi to go like another 30 metres that retains at least a decent amount of speed? Extender repeater are these things different or the same thing or what?

Edit: or is this wifi mesh shit the way to go?
    Last edited by la bazzle; 05-01-2018 at 11:42 AM.

Power line adapter?

https://www.cnet.com/news/top-five-p...-fi-fails-you/

Been thinking of this myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Couscous View Post
    Buy movies.

What's the movie quality like ? Do they do 4k HDR ?

parksey and gallaway's stillborn child la bazzle's Avatar
    Power line adapter?

https://www.cnet.com/news/top-five-p...-fi-fails-you/

Been thinking of this myself.
    Tried it but but the granny flat is on a differently power thingy or some jazz?