Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What are you reading?

Just started the Holy Blood and the Holy Grail, Im not big on religion, but interested in what there not telling us..

Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    I loved Roy Keane's first autobiography, and by the sounds of it he hasn't calmed down at all for this second one. Keen to get ahold of it!
    just finished this today.

very honest bloke, whoever his ghost writer is knows him well as it sounds like its him writing.

pretty ruthless in management, not very long book though, would wait until its cheaper.
    Quote Originally Posted by militiamon View Post
    Body gets Stretch drunk, miracle occurs.

Hail Body!

Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    This isn't an attempted stab at Manure fans or anything of the like..

I'm currently about 3/4 of the way through SAF's book. Man, I'm finding it so poorly written.

He'll write one sentence that brings up say Djemba Djemba, then he'll have 2-3 paragraphs on complete waffle that don't relate to anything, then he'll write almost the exact same sentence about Djemba Djemba as if he'd never derailed from that thought, but also as if the second sentence gives some form of insight that he hadn't already brought up.

It feels like SAF is holding back a lot of the views and thoughts he really wants to say about people and situations, and it just ends up that he basically says nothing at all.

For every interesting insight I get from reading this book, there's about 2 pages of pure garbage.

Coming off the back of reading Dennis Bergkamp's and Zlatan's books, which I consider to be two of the better football books I've ever read, this SAF book is an actual chore to get through.
    After finishing SAF's book, I wouldn't recommend it to many people. It was poorly written and didn't offer the insights that I was hoping it would. It was like he restrained himself from giving his real views on most events and people, and it turned out in the end the book felt empty. I enjoyed this book as much as I enjoyed Vieira's book, which was pretty little compared to other football books I've read.
    OK

Delayed in an airport on Monday, I bought Karl Pilkington's The Moaning of Life. I've been meaning to watch the TV show associated with the book, plus read and watch An Idiot Abroad for a while now but haven't had the chance to as of yet.

I'm about 3/4 of the way through Moaning of Life, as it's not a giant book, but I've loved it. Pilkington is very dry, but extremely funny with his writing - even though he doesn't attempt to be funny. Highly recommend to anyone - and I'll be making a better effort to get ahold of his shows now.
    OK

*bump*

I'm about half way through January Window by Philip Kerr..
    Bit of a murder thriller set around a fictional club in the EPL, however involves and drops a lot of actual teams, players and managers into the story..
    Thoroughly enjoying it at the moment.. Not the most hectic or deepest of reads, but entertaining none-the-less..

Just started here come the dogs by Omar someone. Australian 1st time writer from Adelaide.
    Good so far, writes partly in cypher and partly in paragraph. It's a really interesting way to write.

Not sute if anyone is aware but this book was released this month.

Soccer in New South Wales 1880-1980 - Philip Mosely

http://dennisjones.com.au/TitleDetai...=9780975197097

My copy is in the mail

Have I lent anyone in here my copy of inverting the pyramid?

Can't find it. Want to know it's safe.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG NBUnited View Post
    Not sute if anyone is aware but this book was released this month.

Soccer in New South Wales 1880-1980 - Philip Mosely

http://dennisjones.com.au/TitleDetai...=9780975197097

My copy is in the mail
    is this a good read?

My guitar/Amp guy gave me Million Dollar Les Paul by Tony Bacon to read.

I've been reading Bruce Campbell's book lately..
    Actually quite a funny and insightful read.. Goes in to a lot of detail about his childhood, how he got in to "acting", making student films on bugger all budgets with the Raimi's, making the Evil Dead films, etc..
    I'm only half way through, but would say its definitely worth checking out, even if you aren't a BC fanboy like I am..

Finished reading "Ring of Fire" by Simon Hughes. I recommend any Liverpool fans to give it a read. Some very interesting insights from players and their time at Liverpool during the noughties

Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

космонавт-исследователь boz-monaut's Avatar
    I'm not really into fantasy books but I've just finished the Broken Earth trilogy by NK Jemisin

holy shit it is amazingly intense

the three books won the Hugo Award three years in a row

really brilliant concept/world - brilliant characters - amazing plot - brilliantly crafted

I can't recommend it highly enough

Phoebe Moloney wrote an article about the singles scene with an enticing headline ('No touching without consent': Singles event puts women on notice after men complain).

As I don't live in Newy, I don't have a subscription to the paper. Can anyone tell me what's going on?

Quote Originally Posted by Couscous View Post
    Phoebe Moloney wrote an article about the singles scene with an enticing headline ('No touching without consent': Singles event puts women on notice after men complain).

As I don't live in Newy, I don't have a subscription to the paper. Can anyone tell me what's going on?
    Sounds like a few blokes need to have their man cards taken away from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Couscous View Post

I don't have a subscription but the first line says - "A message to women in their 40s to 60s" - say no more. Drunk old ducks cackling after one two many rieselings in their little gangs chasing toy boys to make them feel better while the old man is at home watching the cricket.