Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Women's Premier League

Quote Originally Posted by onlooker View Post
    Have heard that 4 new teams are looking to enter. Not from anyone involved with clubs just people talking. 6 teams were mentioned so not sure which ones it could be.

Heard Magic Olympic Charly Edgy Southey and one other that slips my mind. Take with a grain of salt as I said just people talking.
    Magic, Edgeworth and Lake Macquarie have been down that path before - didn't end well....

The simple reality is that they are not sufficient players to have 8 equally competitive 1st grade teams (at the level of the top 4) at the moment. With the junior development we will get there over time (some of the players who started in 14's are now showing up in 1st grade sides).

Anyone who thinks dumping one or more clubs and bringing in others is going to solve that problem is delusional.

WPL to Womens NPL progression.

There is a NNSW Steering group meeting every 2 months (I think) to plan this. They have had one meeting so far.

Rhali Dobson is on it, I am not sure of who else.

Not sure if people know, but the Northern Territory has a Womens NPL competition. They solved the facilities issue by playing only 1st grade, and all games are at the one facility.

The ideal solution for the 4 Newcastle City Council based clubs that are not Adamstown would be for Merewether and New Lambton to play their home games at #2 sports ground on Sundays (union never play Sundays) and for Southy and Wallsend to share a facility in the West of Newcastle - Jesmond park maybe. (There is supposed to be a new district level facility out that way, was mentioned in councils 2014 plan, but I cannot remember the name of it)

For those club admins out there who deal with Newcastle Council, you know how likely this would be :-(
    Lobbying help from NNSW would be good as well!

Last post for the night!

The grand final is going to be a cracking game. (To the poster up thread who thought the competition was average - come and watch this game, you will not be disappointed.)

New Lambton are a class team.
    Merewether on Sunday were the best I have ever seen them, in the last 5 years. Warners Bay played really well to keep it to a draw.

I think Merewether's mid field will be the difference on the day - I hope I am proved right....

Facilities are a major issue
    New Lambton moved their game to lisle carr oval, southy to speers point , bay ok and merewether should have moved theirs as well .
    Only Adamstown Oval , the Gardens and johns st don't have cricket pitches on them , not good

Have heard that 4 new teams are looking to enter. Not from anyone involved with clubs just people talking. 6 teams were mentioned so not sure which ones it could be.

Heard Magic Olympic Charly Edgy Southey and one other that slips my mind. Take with a grain of salt as I said just people talking.
    Both Magic and Southy got rid of their WPL teams.

Would also be silly to increase it more than we have, there isn't the players in the area to match for the quality, especially in the younger age groups.

Quote Originally Posted by late_to_the_game View Post
    Not sure if people know, but the Northern Territory has a Womens NPL competition. They solved the facilities issue by playing only 1st grade, and all games are at the one facility.
    You would recall late (if you were part of the Merewether set up then) that is exactly what we used to do here until we introduced an U18 side (now reserves) and since expanding the 16s (now 17s) and 14s it wouldn't be viable.

The ideal solution for the 4 Newcastle City Council based clubs that are not Adamstown would be for Merewether and New Lambton to play their home games at #2 sports ground on Sundays (union never play Sundays) and for Southy and Wallsend to share a facility in the West of Newcastle - Jesmond park maybe. (There is supposed to be a new district level facility out that way, was mentioned in councils 2014 plan, but I cannot remember the name of it)
    Thornton Park is worse than The Gardens though

For those club admins out there who deal with Newcastle Council, you know how likely this would be :-(
    Lobbying help from NNSW would be good as well!
    Indeed even basic maintenance work is painful to get done. And they don't allow the clubs to do it themselves.

[QUOTE=Goatscheese;229069]Both Magic and Southy got rid of their WPL teams.

Southy???

[QUOTE=Jardelsimage;229071]
    Quote Originally Posted by Goatscheese View Post

Southy???
    South Wallsend I assume.
    Not your neighbours.
    (I also think of the mighty gunners when I hear “Southy”)

[QUOTE=Bremsstrahlung;229072]
    Quote Originally Posted by Jardelsimage View Post

South Wallsend I assume.
    Not your neighbours.
    But south wallsend are in the WPL currently.

[QUOTE=Bremsstrahlung;229072]

South Wallsend I assume.
    Not your neighbours.
    The Southy I was implying was South Cardiff.

[QUOTE=onlooker;229089]
    Quote Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post

The Southy I was implying was South Cardiff.
    I'm pretty sure Southy didn't have a WPL team.

I'm pretty sure Southy didn't have a WPL team.
    I don’t believe they did. I was saying in my first post when I named a few teams that might be entering the comp I mentioned southy as in South Cardiff, someone along the way thought I ment south Wallsend I was just stating you I actually ment.

I don’t believe they did. I was saying in my first post when I named a few teams that might be entering the comp I mentioned southy as in South Cardiff, someone along the way thought I ment south Wallsend I was just stating you I actually ment.
    Pretty sure Cardiff (Tigers) had a team in many years ago, NPL Clubs - Edgeworth, Charlestown, Magic, Lakes & Valentine have all entered teams over the years and it didn't work simply due to lack of players or not enough resources/support to run both men's and women's at the highest level.

Quote Originally Posted by Bull fighter View Post
    Pretty sure Cardiff (Tigers) had a team in many years ago, NPL Clubs - Edgeworth, Charlestown, Magic, Lakes & Valentine have all entered teams over the years and it didn't work simply due to lack of players or not enough resources/support to run both men's and women's at the highest level.
    Cardiff were in the WPL(might not have been called that) 1st 2 years if I remember correctly, 2nd year played out of Edgy,(we decided No2 wasn't good enough for the WPL) then became Edgy for a couple after that??
    Jason Aird was there coach, think they won it the 1st year, had Gemma Simon playing, plus others who went onto the Jets team in the end.

Cardiff were in the WPL(might not have been called that) 1st 2 years if I remember correctly, 2nd year played out of Edgy,(we decided No2 wasn't good enough for the WPL) then became Edgy for a couple after that??
    Jason Aird was there coach, think they won it the 1st year, had Gemma Simon playing, plus others who went onto the Jets team in the end.
    can you remember what year WPL started in its current form? Unfortunately Northern has only stats on website back to 2012, I think maybe 2006 - 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Bull fighter View Post
    can you remember what year WPL started in its current form? Unfortunately Northern has only stats on website back to 2012, I think maybe 2006 - 2008

I can’t see to many NPL clubs taking on a W side, with seniors and youth teams to cater for I’m not sure what ground they would play on

[QUOTE=Jardelsimage;229071]
    Quote Originally Posted by Goatscheese View Post

Southy???
    I was referring to South Cardiff, however, it appears it was Cardiff not South Cardiff that I was thinking of.

Anyone see team of the year? Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by lovethegame11 View Post
    Anyone see team of the year? Thoughts?
    Well they put a striker as a right back so its not great. If that forward was better than another drop the one of the forwards in the substitutes and put them in there. Noticed they made sure at least one player from each club was put in as well.