View Poll Results: Which kick-off time do you prefer?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Friday/Saturday Evenings

32 80.00%
  • Saturday/Sunday Afternoons

4 10.00%
  • Slobs (No preference)

4 10.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which kick-off time do you prefer?

Which kick-off time do you prefer?

I think a similar poll was done a few years back but I couldn't find it in the history so I thought I'd put up a new one anyway.
    Yes there are other threads debating this issue and we know the supposed reasons why we are heaped with mainly afternoon games but has your opinion changed on afternoon vs evening fixtures?
    Do you prefer the Saturday or Sunday 5pm or 5.35pm kick offs or do you prefer the evening kick offs on a Friday or Saturday night at 7.30pm or 7.50pm?

I remember the day (NSL) when all our games were played on a Friday night - always a great way to setup for the weekend. The kids enjoyed having a late night out with a takeaway dinner, I could play cricket on a Saturday and any social events would usually be on a Saturday evening.

Sunday at 5pm is the most ridiculous time of the lot - too early for dinner, too late to cook when you get home after 8pm. Kids have school next day etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    I remember the day (NSL) when all our games were played on a Friday night - always a great way to setup for the weekend. The kids enjoyed having a late night out with a takeaway dinner, I could play cricket on a Saturday and any social events would usually be on a Saturday evening.

Sunday at 5pm is the most ridiculous time of the lot - too early for dinner, too late to cook when you get home after 8pm. Kids have school next day etc etc.
    100% on the money.

I would say a 7:30pm start on a Friday would be close enough to optimal.

The atmosphere at night too is so much better, whether it is a Friday or Saturday night...probably more so on a Friday. There just seems to be a natural buzz in the crowd, it's the start of the weekend and people are naturally on a high.
    By Sunday afternoon, the weekend is nearly over and most people already have at the back of their minds....work tomorrow and this is conveyed in the usually solemn atmosphere.

Quote Originally Posted by stopper2 View Post
    we know the supposed reasons why we are heaped with mainly afternoon games
    What do you mean "supposed"

Is there another reason other than foxtel not wanting us in 7/730/750 because we doing rate well on TV?
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmac79 View Post
    I tend to agree with Gav.

Sunday arvo is the absolute worst and I find it a legitimate disgrace even considering how gash our team is that 6 of our home games are on then. Every single person in the club who contributed to this should leave our town immediately.

Next worse is Saturday arvo. Any arvo games are just dull and hot, and our stadium isn't suited to blocking out the sun.

Saturday nights is the best. Fridays the next best.

tl;dr - arvo games can go suck a big fat juicy one, and so can whoever is responsible for us having so many.
    OK

Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    Sunday arvo is the absolute worst and I find it a legitimate disgrace even considering how gash our team is that 6 of our home games are on then. Every single person in the club who contributed to this should leave our town immediately.

Next worse is Saturday arvo. Any arvo games are just dull and hot, and our stadium isn't suited to blocking out the sun.

Saturday nights is the best. Fridays the next best.

tl;dr - arvo games can go suck a big fat juicy one, and so can whoever is responsible for us having so many.
    As if anyone at the club has a say on that. Once upon a time Middleby said some rubbish, but Foxtel tell the FFA when they want the Sydney and Melb teams on and fit the rest in around

Not living in Newy i prefer Saturday night games.

Quote Originally Posted by The Camel View Post
    As if anyone at the club has a say on that. Once upon a time Middleby said some rubbish, but Foxtel tell the FFA when they want the Sydney and Melb teams on and fit the rest in around
    As far as I'm led to believe, each team gets one "pretty please" for fixtures each year.

I can only assume David Eland wasted ours on sending Tim Cahill to Coffs Harbour.

If we don't use ours next season on "less Sunday/arvo games" then I have just lost faith.
    OK

I prefer a mixture between the 2. I work pretty much every friday evening so I'm happy without too many friday night games. Not everyone is a monday - friday daytime worker.

However on Sunday it was not a boiing hot afternoon and by the end of the game it got abit chilly.

At least 5pm games mean less time to kill through the day. At least with saturday afternoon pubs or bars afterwards are plentiful where as a sunday night everywhere is practically dead in newcastle.
    Quote Originally Posted by benfathers45 View Post
    Mangoes? You should try eating it first before you hate it. I'm sure after you have tasted it, you will love it.

We all know Fox holds the aces - they rave about nothing but the big four with a little nod to Adelaide and Brisbane. I did some analysis last season and found that Perth, the Gypos and us had the majority of afternoon kickoffs with Victory and Adelaide having the least - there was a near direct correlation between the number of afternoon kickoffs and the final table which I found bizarre.......it's a bit chicken or the egg though.

As yet, nobody in the media (especially in the big cities) has highlighted how skewed things are in favour of the big clubs. We can only hope that someday we can get back in the finals with entertaining football and possibly change the status quo.

I think I saw mention of something similar in the NH in the last week, that struggling clubs such as ourselves and CCM, while smaller inherently, are also punished by getting worse scheduling, impacting on both audiences and quality of football able to be produced. While its not an excuse as such, it certainly doesn't help.

I dunno that a big stink was kicked up about it but yeah, it hasn't gone completely unnoted in the media.

Quote Originally Posted by Superdylan View Post
    where as a sunday night everywhere is practically dead in newcastle.
    Go MILF hunting at the Beaches SD. They bite well on anything between 18 and 25.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    Go MILF hunting at the Beaches SD. They bite well on anything between 18 and 25.
    Only if they've got a swimming pool
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by GazFish35 View Post
    What do you mean "supposed"

Is there another reason other than foxtel not wanting us in 7/730/750 because we doing rate well on TV?
    The reasons have been discussed in a few other threads and I feel we would only be treading over the same old ground by discussing them on this thread Gaz.
    Just wanted to gauge people's preferences by having another poll as It's been obvious in the past that supporters have always prefered evening games and by the looks of this poll it would seem that sentiment has not changed.

Having said that, I will add that from the club's viewpoint it has been made clear that we need to improve our performances on the pitch and become a more "attractive" team so we can get more primetime (evening) games....okay if that's the case I want to put this to the powers that be:
    SFC last season 2015/16 had a very average season coming 7th playing boring, uninspiring football with crowds dropping below 10k, ten of their home matches were in the evening prime time slot.
    By rights then, shouldn't SFC have less evening home games this season if all is fair and above board?
    No SFC get another another 10 home evening games allocated for this season 2016/17!!!

I prefer Mondays at 9pm.

Quote Originally Posted by stopper2 View Post
    The reasons have been discussed in a few other threads and I feel we would only be treading over the same old ground by discussing them on this thread Gaz.
    Just wanted to gauge people's preferences by having another poll as It's been obvious in the past that supporters have always prefered evening games and by the looks of this poll it would seem that sentiment has not changed.

Having said that, I will add that from the club's viewpoint it has been made clear that we need to improve our performances on the pitch and become a more "attractive" team so we can get more primetime (evening) games....okay if that's the case I want to put this to the powers that be:
    SFC last season 2015/16 had a very average season coming 7th playing boring, uninspiring football with crowds dropping below 10k, ten of their home matches were in the evening prime time slot.
    By rights then, shouldn't SFC have less evening home games this season if all is fair and above board?
    No SFC get another another 10 home evening games allocated for this season 2016/17!!!

soz - ti thought by "supposed" you were implying there were other reasons beyond tv audiences

Sydney FC get good timeslots because

1. its not all fair and above board
    2. at the start of each season when the fixture list is set (by foxtel) they are expected to get better ratings than us no matter how they play as they've got a bigger city tuning in.
    3. they might have been bad - nut they aren't as bad as us - we've been shit for ages, and its gonna stake a few years of stink free football before our timeslots change dramatically

5pm isn't even "family friendly" - its ****ed btw
    Last edited by GazFish35; 11-10-2016 at 04:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmac79 View Post
    I tend to agree with Gav.

Just some info... The football association here has listened to fans.. and we now only have 2 kickoff times in the super league... with the teleclub (fox similar) still showing all games on there channels but also a conference setup too new. Kickoffs are 2 games on 7pm saturday night and 3 games with one on free to tv at 4pm sunday... (it works here)

Challenge league still has a monday game grrr... but will now be shown on what is know as free tv here . you still play a shit load.... as well as the the teleclub channel.

This is bringing things back to how it used to be.. tradition.. going away from media determining games.. but also there has been here in increase in money clubs get.. and a much more equal distribution...

Also with games on same time its interesting when an update comes from other games... espcially if a rival club is losing etc.

Ofcourse sunday at 5pm is horrible in Aus and the culture is different... between a sunday in australia and one in mainland europe. also the weather...

But I always loved the Friday or Sat night games in Aus (also old nsl days).. perfect plan for an evening. also its much more family friendly than 5pm on a sunday or saturday.

Friday nights are the best time by far IMO.

Sunday arvos the absolute shittest.

космонавт-исследователь boz-monaut's Avatar
    I just can't make 5 p.m. Sunday games

so I get five games I can make it to this season for my season ticket