Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: 16/17 HAL Round 26 | Jets v Gypos - F3 Derby #41 | Sun 9th Apr 2017 5:30pm

FMD. Farque you, too, Jets.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    that profile pic
    Lovely isn't it??

What a difference a year makes.

12 months ago the club was well into a successful rebuild under miller & jp with pending serious ownership.

Now we are back at what I believe to be rock bottom as we were at the end of season 10 with stubbins in charge.

We have a good assistant coach (like stubbins was) who hasn't made the step up to the full time gig. Jones has obviously lost the dressing room, his management of players has been sub par at best.

we are now at a very serious cross roads just like 2 years ago. If we plan to back the coach like Tinkler intended too we are are in the exact same predicament where we are going to have to overspend to get decent players and on long contracts as well (boogard back then) as an established successful coach is not a selling point.

Best plan of attack for mine.

Sack Jones, sorry mate you didn't make the step up.

Hire Ernie Merrick for 2 seasons, keep on Zane as his assistant.

Immediately Merricks ability to attract players puts us in a good spot of not having to overspend.

Merrick gives Zane a proper tutelage on how to be a successful A League head coach.

finally yesterday was a disgrace
    Quote Originally Posted by militiamon View Post
    Body gets Stretch drunk, miracle occurs.

Hail Body!

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Lovely isn't it??
    You dun it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by BodyNovo View Post

12 months ago the club was well into a successful rebuild under miller & jp with pending serious ownership.

Now we are back at what I believe to be rock bottom as we were at the end of season 10 with stubbins in charge.

We have a good assistant coach (like stubbins was) who hasn't made the step up to the full time gig. Jones has obviously lost the dressing room, his management of players has been sub par at best.

we are now at a very serious cross roads just like 2 years ago. If we plan to back the coach like Tinkler intended too we are are in the exact same predicament where we are going to have to overspend to get decent players and on long contracts as well (boogard back then) as an established successful coach is not a selling point.

Immediately Merricks ability to attract players puts us in a good spot of not having to overspend.

Merrick gives Zane a proper tutelage on how to be a successful A League head coach.

Merrick is a good shout, I'd be happy with either him or Mulvey.
    Quote Originally Posted by lquiquer View Post
    Welcome to the circus ... And I can't argue any of your points... In contention for best first post of the year... ��

Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    love at first sight

Which players and their managers are you representing ? If Jones has to go everyone should go. None of the players have been up to scratch all season, you want to bring in a new coach and force him to work with the current assistant, the coach you suggest the Jets bring in was punted by Melbourne Victory and then jumped before he was pushed at Wellington. He was effective previously because his club had massive resources both financially and talent wise - the football they played was nothing special to watch.

You cannot be serious.

I shared something similar yesterday the popped up on my facebook feed. The feeling was around the club was one of stability 12 months ago. We were behind the manager who was starting to get the team working the way he wanted. Nobody was questioning his position and we were all looking forward to recruitment during the off season.

You're right that we're back to Stubbin era but this time we don't have the safety net of knowing Tinkler was circling the drain and was about to self-combust. We felt we could be bailed out. Maybe this will happen this off-season with an owner that can back us well financially in the marker (or so we are told). But you're right that we don't have the coach that will attract players here. Finiancial means is the only reason.

I agree your course of action - release Jones, sign an experienced coach who has the abaility to attract players with their credentials but also has runs on the board in terms of success. Merrick may be the answer, but so is someone like Mike Mulvey.

Failure to do this will be shown in the lack of members renewing next year.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Mulvey or Merrick would be no different to bringing GVE back and that didn't exactly work out in the past either. Players need to be shown the door whether they are on contract or not. Their performances this year are grounds enough.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    Mulvey or Merrick would be no different to bringing GVE back and that didn't exactly work out in the past either.
    Why do you think they wouldn't work? What would prevent them being a success?

Mr Lee will be teling whoever the coach is who to sign and play (Chinese player for example) and being a Chelsea fan I know exactly how that goes, Coach gets the sack and playing group stops playing
    Welcome to the circus ... And I can't argue any of your points... In contention for best first post of the year... ��

love at first sight

Mulvey or Merrick would be no different to bringing GVE back and that didn't exactly work out in the past either. Players need to be shown the door whether they are on contract or not. Their performances this year are grounds enough.
    I disagree.

Merrick is completely different to GVE 2.0. GVE 2.0 was all about playing a ridiculous brand of football & the nurturing of young talent (which ended up other clubs talent anyways) whereas Merrick is based on getting results now & not in a years time.
    Quote Originally Posted by militiamon View Post
    Body gets Stretch drunk, miracle occurs.

Hail Body!

They failed at their last two jobs.
    The roster of players in Newcastle is far weaker than they had at their last two teams
    Neither of them have ever had to contend with as many overpaid, inexperienced, or inconsistent players in one team.

Yesterdays game was lost by the players. Individual mistakes like passing to ghosts, tackling themselves.... the players can't hold the ball and they can't execute anything more than the most basic game plan.

Jones needs to go - I agree. But I'd be sacking players as well.

I disagree.

Merrick is completely different to GVE 2.0. GVE 2.0 was all about playing a ridiculous brand of football & the nurturing of young talent (which ended up other clubs talent anyways) whereas Merrick is based on getting results now & not in a years time.
    You haven't named a single player that needs to go. Not one. Merrick . Greenacre and Des Buckingham are far from world beaters but they have Wellington playing a lot better than Ernie ever did. Merrick is finished don't use the Jets to fund his retirement.

Pay Erikson out of Shenzhen and sign him Mr Lee....that will send a strong message and will attract players....it's all about $$$$$
    Dare to Zlatan

Originally Posted by Grimario

He won't make that mistake at Newcastle since our team is full of number 2's.

You haven't named a single player that needs to go. Not one. Merrick . Greenacre and Des Buckingham are far from world beaters but they have Wellington playing a lot better than Ernie ever did. Merrick is finished don't use the Jets to fund his retirement.
    I don't want us looking at any of the washed up A-League coaches as an option. That will just put us back having this discussion again in 12 months.

If we truely want to be a great club, we have to do better than recycle everyone elses garbage, be it players or coaches.

They failed at their last two jobs.
    The roster of players in Newcastle is far weaker than they had at their last two teams
    Neither of them have ever had to contend with as many overpaid, inexperienced, or inconsistent players in one team.

Yesterdays game was lost by the players. Individual mistakes like passing to ghosts, tackling themselves.... the players can't hold the ball and they can't execute anything more than the most basic game plan.

Dunster. Firstly, your last sentence is perfect.

However the thing that keeps happening on the forums by the 'players out' crew when arguing with the 'jones out' crew is that you guys normally assume that when someone wants Jones out they want to keep the squad. We have like 13 players off contract at the seasons end. I'm totally ok with not resigning any of them and giving an experienced coach the opportunity to build the squad.

Before the member jumps in, Jones hasn't been given that opportunity yet so you can't really compare him to Miller and Merrick/Mulvey 100%.

That said I think i've seen enough to think that Jones was only ever temporary and not ready for the job long-term.

But to reiterate, When people say they want Jones sacked I think they also want half the team sacked at the same time... and McKinna... and the reporters at the herald.. and Stanny definitely wants us to sack Mullen.
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    Dunster. Firstly, your last sentence is perfect.

However the thing that keeps happening on the forums by the 'players out' crew when arguing with the 'jones out' crew is that you guys normally assume that when someone wants Jones out they want to keep the squad. We have like 13 players off contract at the seasons end. I'm totally ok with not resigning any of them and giving an experienced coach the opportunity to build the squad.

Before the member jumps in, Jones hasn't been given that opportunity yet so you can't really compare him to Miller and Merrick/Mulvey 100%.

That said I think i've seen enough to think that Jones was only ever temporary and not ready for the job long-term.

But to reiterate, When people say they want Jones sacked I think they also want half the team sacked at the same time... and McKinna... and the reporters at the herald.. and Stanny definitely wants us to sack Mullen.
    Coach and all the off contract players gone is a start. Releasing several of the on contract players is the next step. Then sign an Experienced Coach for 1 yr who is given a blank checkpoint within the salary cap and who has full control over the team where minimum requirement to keep his job is making the top 6. (Never happen but ill keep dreaming)

love at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    We have like 13 players off contract at the seasons end. I'm totally ok with not resigning any of them and giving an experienced coach the opportunity to build the squad.
    This is pretty much where I am at.

Quote Originally Posted by StannyCFCJET View Post
    Coach and all the off contract players gone is a start. Releasing several of the on contract players is the next step. Then sign an Experienced Coach for 1 yr who is given a blank checkpoint within the salary cap and who has full control over the team where minimum requirement to keep his job is making the top 6. (Never happen but ill keep dreaming)
    Stanny has it here.
    Although, any new coach needs to be on a 1 + 1 signing, with the extra year only being made available based on achieving minimum club goals.
    KPI's exist everywhere else in the professional world for a reason. We need to either start using them, or actually following through on the consequences of not achieving the ones we have

This. But Jones first so he doesn't have a chance to resign his favourites.