Page 40 of 135 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017/18 Squad Thread

brutally rapes small, cute dogs parksey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by borat View Post
    The real impact of the cuts to Fairfax Reporting in Newcastle is lack of objectivity imo.

Gardiner and co don't have time to be chasing scoops and rely on the tips and leaks from the Jets and Knights. Gardiner can't afford to be getting Lawrie offside so the use each other. Blurs the lines between reporting and marketing material from the club.

For example, I never saw one story that questioned Lawrie's decision to appoint Jones. Whichever way you want to look at it it was a disastrous decision so where was the scrutiny.
    I don't really think it's been a problem for the sports section, or for the Herald overall really. They continue to produce some top class journalism.

For sport, and football in particular, they have at least three journos to cover one club during the A-League season. They definitely still have time to chase scoops. It's not as if they're not fairly neutral at times either, it's not their job to lay the boot in to a person, performance etc. unless it's a column.

I do think there needs to be more analysis and opinion pieces. Lowey seems like a good bloke but doesn't really offer anything insightful. Dillon probably doesn't do it enough in his column either - not sure why.
    Last edited by parksey; 30-05-2017 at 07:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by snake View Post
    bridges made the world in 6-8 wks

he then rested by the corner flag and all was gud
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Stubbins
    Hopefully it’s the four players, but, if not, the three, and if not, the two.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maito Mitch View Post
    Do you ever get bored of sprouting the same old crap? You're about as predictable as the punishment on the field we sit through once a week

Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    I don't really think it's been a problem for the sports section, or for the Herald overall really. They continue to produce some top class journalism.

For sport, and football in particular, they have at least three journos. They definitely still have time to chase scoops. It's not as if they're not fairly neutral at times either, it's not their job to lay the boot in to a person, performance etc. unless it's a column. Dillon probably doesn't do it enough in his column, though - not sure why.
    Ask yourself this, when was the last time you read a critical article. Then remember we finished stone motherless last season. Yet no questions asked.

End of the Tinkler era was the last time the Herald wrote anything but puff pieces

brutally rapes small, cute dogs parksey's Avatar
    Ask yourself this, when was the last time you read a critical article. Then remember we finished stone motherless last season. Yet no questions asked.

End of the Tinkler era was the last time the Herald wrote anything but puff pieces
    Yeah sorry I added a bit more to my post.

I agree there needs to be more analysis and criticism where warranted. I do wonder sometimes if that boycott during Tinkler's era has made them wary of biting the hand that feeds.
    Quote Originally Posted by snake View Post
    bridges made the world in 6-8 wks

he then rested by the corner flag and all was gud
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Stubbins
    Hopefully it’s the four players, but, if not, the three, and if not, the two.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maito Mitch View Post
    Do you ever get bored of sprouting the same old crap? You're about as predictable as the punishment on the field we sit through once a week

Yeah sorry I added a bit more to my post.

I agree there needs to be more analysis and criticism where warranted. I do wonder sometimes if that boycott during Tinkler's era has made them wary of biting the hand that feeds.
    TBH i am not really being critical of the journos but Fairfax. It's a sign of the times were they would rather just produce quick content over actual investigative journalism.

Quote Originally Posted by StannyCFCJET View Post
    Ok what do People know about Kosta Petratos and Mario Shabow. Are they a chance of being good signings??
    These 2 have all the hallmarks of the next players released mid season. Petratos was very poor at Perth. Shabow is a very talented junior but could well be the next Kaz Patafta

Last edited by turbojetfireV8; 30-05-2017 at 07:43 PM.
    Life isn't the same without Con... but it can only improve without Tinks...

Come on Merrick.

Time is ticking we need announcements of new high quality signings!

Quote Originally Posted by white city View Post
    Come on Merrick.

Time is ticking we need announcements of new high quality signings!
    Aren't the 2 Scots going to China first to discuss the budget with Mr Lee ? (Plague read it somewhere)
    Dare to Zlatan

Originally Posted by Grimario

He won't make that mistake at Newcastle since our team is full of number 2's.

These 2 have all the hallmarks of the next players released mid season. Petratos was very poor at Perth. Shabow is a very talented junior but could well be the next Kaz Patafta
    Who actually signed them ? Was it Miller, Jones, or someone else ?

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    Who actually signed them ? Was it Miller, Jones, or someone else ?
    Petratos was announced January 2017:

http://www.newcastlejets.com.au/arti...n15607pubzuyjo

Shabow was announced April 2017:

http://www.newcastlejets.com.au/arti...b1arns81wehwff

I think it is fair to call both of them Jones signings.
    OK

I do think there needs to be more analysis and opinion pieces. Lowey seems like a good bloke but doesn't really offer anything insightful. Dillon probably doesn't do it enough in his column either - not sure why.
    Lowey's articles were a struggle to get thru this year. In his live q&a blog things on the herald site he showed snippets of his former good self but filtered himself way too much, again. Best eg I have of this is when asked about Lawrie's comment about "Jones' job has never once been under the microscope" Lowey said there wasn't a chance that he would have worded it that way if he was Lawrie. But rather than stick the boot in he just kind of let it be, which I don't believe former Lowey (ie before he got hired by the club.. and before he had his mates club indented there) would have done.

And where was the journos absolutely lampooning the "just another game" comment from Jones?

People can blame "keyboard warriors" for a lot of things but at least there is SOME criticism, sometimes warranted, coming at the club.

I think whomever said it was right - the herald guys are scared of the tinkler backlash thing to happen. They seemingly prefer to toe the line and stay within the inner sanctum.

Cardboard cutouts everywhere, man. Big Brother is watching, innit.

Yall should listen to the Jerkstream - rarely anything positive gets said about the club
    Last edited by pv4; 31-05-2017 at 11:26 AM.
    OK

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    Lowey's articles were a struggle to get thru this year. In his live q&a blog things on the herald site he showed snippets of his former good self but filtered himself way too much, again. Best eg I have of this is when asked about Lawrie's comment about "Jones' job has never once been under the microscope" Lowey said there wasn't a chance that he would have worded it that way if he was Lawrie. But rather than stick the boot in he just kind of let it be, which I don't believe former Lowey (ie before he got hired by the club.. and before he had his mates club indented there) would have done.

And where was the journos absolutely lampooning the "just another game" comment from Jones?

People can blame "keyboard warriors" for a lot of things but at least there is SOME criticism, sometimes warranted, coming at the club.

I think whomever said it was right - the herald guys are scared of the tinkler backlash thing to happen. They seemingly prefer to toe the line and stay within the inner sanctum.

Cardboard cutouts everywhere, man. Big Brother is watching, innit.

Yall should listen to the Jerkstream - rarely anything positive gets said about the club
    That also being said WLG Lowey and Jones go way back and have known and played with and against one another for many years

I think your really in delusion if you think he going to write anything that might cause friction between them

Remember Lowey isn't exactly a hard hitting journo and gets a few bucks writing something each week

I don't understand why people think those in the system or on the periphery of it are happy to shake the shit out of it by stepping on someone's toes

Quote Originally Posted by lquiquer View Post
    Aren't the 2 Scots going to China first to discuss the budget with Mr Lee ? (Plague read it somewhere)
    Bert mentioned it here as well I think:
    https://audioboom.com/posts/5958232-...ay-26-may-2017

I have seen some talk we have enquired about nebojsa marinkovic.
    Watch this space

Watch this space
    Decent player. great at set pieces, Could be a good signing
    Quote Originally Posted by lquiquer View Post
    Welcome to the circus ... And I can't argue any of your points... In contention for best first post of the year... ��

love at first sight

don't think Marinkovic is the Castro type player we were hoping for though, he would be a 'second choice'...

i think if we are to spend above cap it will be on a so called 'Chinese Marquee'

Marinkovic is definitely better than what we currently have, so these are the signings we have to be making

Watch this space
    I saw the talk too.

If it was NFL and we could bring him on for set pieces and take him off again then GREAT! Otherwise, I'm not a fan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

how long has he been in the country. I thought he'd be close to 5 years residency?
    Quote Originally Posted by militiamon View Post
    Body gets Stretch drunk, miracle occurs.

Hail Body!

Quote Originally Posted by BodyNovo View Post
    how long has he been in the country. I thought he'd be close to 5 years residency?
    2014. He has a few visa years left still.
    OK