Page 9 of 43 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: The A-League Expansion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    No problem with NSL clubs getting competent sides on the park. It's off the field the problems will be - can you honestly believe that South Melbourne will have a support base in Melbourne that is not of a Greek majority? Can they change that demographic because they have been saying they will for the last 20 years (right back to the Lakers days) and I still hear the "Hellas" chant. Same applies to Marconi, Sydney United and Melbourne Knights.

Football fans won't see this as a problem but the general media and sporting public will see it as a return to "wogball" and a Sydney/Melbourne focussed competition. This is why I want FFA to step up in their support for CCM, the Jets and other regional sides - they are truly needed. You lose us two and bring in SM and Marconi and you take a huge step backward.
    Great post.

Quote Originally Posted by De-Champ View Post
    What a load of nonsense. Add four or five imports to South Melbourne, plus one or two they pinch of other A league clubs and they would be very competative. Ditto with Adelaide City, 2nd Brisbane team any number of Sydney teams or other Melbourne teams. I would say you could find more than 4 teams. The problem the FFA has is outside the bigger cities (Sydney/Melbourne) you have problems attracting crowds.
    But I don't hear any of these clubs saying that they want to join the A-league. Have I missed something ?

No problem with NSL clubs getting competent sides on the park. It's off the field the problems will be - can you honestly believe that South Melbourne will have a support base in Melbourne that is not of a Greek majority? Can they change that demographic because they have been saying they will for the last 20 years (right back to the Lakers days) and I still hear the "Hellas" chant. Same applies to Marconi, Sydney United and Melbourne Knights.

Football fans won't see this as a problem but the general media and sporting public will see it as a return to "wogball" and a Sydney/Melbourne focussed competition. This is why I want FFA to step up in their support for CCM, the Jets and other regional sides - they are truly needed. You lose us two and bring in SM and Marconi and you take a huge step backward.
    Yeah fair call. My thoughts are with a lot of those bigger NPL clubs they have the facilities to come straight into a second division without having to play at massive stadium with stupid rent costs. In Sydney, Sydney United have Edensor which is a fantastic facility, same with Blacktown, Campbelltown stadium and Shark Park and WIN for the Gong are all great spots as well as being geographically distinct, then you have Sth Melbourne and Melb Knights who have great boutique size grounds/stadiums.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    But I don't hear any of these clubs saying that they want to join the A-league. Have I missed something ?
    Sth Melbourne have on a number of occasions and Adelaide City said they would love to if given an opportunity just this week. Knights have been vocal about not having any higher option than the NPL as well

Quote Originally Posted by The Camel View Post
    Sth Melbourne have on a number of occasions and Adelaide City said they would love to if given an opportunity just this week. Knights have been vocal about not having any higher option than the NPL as well
    Fair enough. Can't see it happening but I have learned something I did not know.

Sydney United are more or less demanding it - which I find concerning.

As Sydney United attempt to claim what is in effect the Australian second-tier title for the second time in four years, club boss Sam Krslovic has warned unless Football Federation Australia make serious moves towards establishing a nationwide second division, ambitious semi-pro clubs around the country will "take matters into their own hands".
    http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/news...27-grpaf6.html

Maybe from a neutral perspective Jetmaster it may be "concerning" but if you look at it from the viewpoint from Sydney United or South Melbourne, or the many other clubs you can begin to understand their frustrations with the current set-up.
    FFA though have shown recently that a 2nd tier with promotion and relegation is well and truly in their future plans.
    I do think though that clubs like Sydney United do have to accept that the process to get to this stage can't be rushed through. It is better to get it right from the beginning and set the foundations right, rather then the whole thing turning to shite in a few years and having to start all over again.

Damn - I have been asleep then. Would be a disaster no doubt but the lolz would be immense if we got a 3rd team in Sydney
    Last edited by The Dunster; 14-10-2016 at 04:48 PM.

This is why I hated the nsl. I could live next to the Mel knights* ground and feel alienated from the club. Feel the same about local clubs here as well. *pick any ethic dominant club

Clubs that are location based and that endeavour to get all people (multicultural) from that territory is much prefered for me.

Quote Originally Posted by hawk View Post
    This is why I hated the nsl. I could live next to the Mel knights* ground and feel alienated from the club. Feel the same about local clubs here as well. *pick any ethic dominant club

Clubs that are location based and that endeavour to get all people (multicultural) from that territory is much prefered for me.
    Rather sad that you feel that way hawk, that you are unable to embrace and accept a different culture but that's your perogative.
    I'm sure players like Peter Haynes or Josh Piddington who have been at a "ethnic" club like Magic for years would have a different opinion on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by stopper2 View Post
    Rather sad that you feel that way hawk, that you are unable to embrace and accept a different culture but that's your perogative.
    I'm sure players like Peter Haynes or Josh Piddington who have been at a "ethnic" club like Magic for years would have a different opinion on the matter.
    If you'd read properly im advocating cultural inclusion. Its the clubs who promote this crap. Maybe you need some social lessons, yr 8 had i recall.

and yes if another player is good enough for the cause they're in.
    Last edited by hawk; 14-10-2016 at 03:50 PM.

maybe the reasons these clubs were started were because those people felt alienated themselves when they arrived in Australia and got comfort in being around people that weren't going to call them wogs etc, an issue that still exists today

If you'd read properly im advocating cultural inclusion. Its the clubs who promote this crap. Maybe you need some social lessons, yr 8 had i recall.

and yes if another player is good enough for the cause they're in.

After a generation or two these clubs' nationalist element has definitley been watered down from what it was in the 80's so I think you are way off the mark when you refer to "clubs who promote this crap". Please elaborate by what you mean you "need some social lessons, yr 8 had i recall"....I am intrigued?

You cannot for a moment compare Magic or Olympic in Newcastle to what you get in Melbourne. Holy crap. I remember playing against Juventus in the early 1970's and not one of their players uttered a word in English all game. If they weren't rolling around on their backs faking injuries they were speaking Italian.
    We beat them as well, and it didn't feel like a win until we were in the bus and on our way home. Oh and this was in shit beetle division. It would have been more intense with the divisions that could actually play.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 14-10-2016 at 05:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nou Camp View Post
    maybe the reasons these clubs were started were because those people felt alienated themselves when they arrived in Australia and got comfort in being around people that weren't going to call them wogs etc, an issue that still exists today
    Good point Nou Camp.
    What just like to add for our good friend hawk who is adamant that these club's didn't allow others to assimilate.
    Has been well-documented in the past (including Johnny Warren's "Sheilas, Wogs and Poofters") that Indigenous players in the 50's and 60's like Charles Perkins were more readily accepted by the ethnic clubs then good old Aussie/Anglo clubs. Perkins played most of his football with Pan Hellenic (Greek) now Sydney Olympic and Canberra Deakin (Croatian). Says something about those times; that an Idigenous Aussie was made to feel more welcome at so-called ethnic clubs who were supposedly not good at "assimilating".

You cannot for a moment compare Magic or Olympic in Newcastle to what you get in Melbourne. Holy crap. I remember playing against Juventus in the early 1970's and not one of their players uttered a word in English all game.
    Oh dear, poor Dunster, the players did not utter a word of English!!! They probably done that on purpose so the opposition could not "catch on" to their tactics, hey.
    Seriously mate, is that a real issue to you?
    Do you go to shopping centres and here someone speaking a foreign language, does that offend you?

Oh dear, poor Dunster, the players did not utter a word of English!!! They probably done that on purpose so the opposition could not "catch on" to their tactics, hey.
    Seriously mate, is that a real issue to you?
    Do you go to shopping centres and here someone speaking a foreign language, does that offend you?
    Given we had three Italians in our team and that five of my cousins I grew up with were also Italian I had a pretty fair grasp of the language and culture back then.
    You on the other hand are clueless about Victorian football in the 1960's and 70's and should probably crawl back inside your Newcastle football bubble and ....

No offence.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 14-10-2016 at 05:36 PM.

After a generation or two these clubs' nationalist element has definitley been watered down from what it was in the 80's so I think you are way off the mark when you refer to "clubs who promote this crap". Please elaborate by what you mean you "need some social lessons, yr 8 had i recall"....I am wardly more intrigued?
    Because I feel a disconnect from ethnicity even you, the apparent knowledge of all cant refute it. And going the grub by throwing in slanderous allegations wont be tolerated, next time your'e out.

The clubs are not bad but maybe they could grow a larger crowd to that needed of aleague level by becoming outwardly more multicultural.

Yes these and many other clubs are the ones that kept football going when league and afl took over the country and look how that ended up.

As I alluded earlier, the problem is not with true football fans. We understand the contribution of ethnic clubs.

The problem would be the perception of the media and general sports fans who would not get it. God help us if there was a flate ripped.

Given we had three Italians in our team and that five of my cousins I grew up with were also Italian I had a pretty fair grasp of the language and culture back then.
    You on the other hand are clueless about Victorian football in the 1960's and 70's and should probably crawl back inside your Newcastle football bubble and ....

No offence.
    Okay, taking in the above why is it seemingly an "issue" because the Juventus players spoke Italian during the game? (which you brought up)
    Football in Australia is inextricably linked with the post WWII migrant community.
    It's something we should acknowledge and embrace as part of our games history in this country not be embarrassed about and weeded out of the history books.