Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 NPL Youth

Quote Originally Posted by londonboy View Post
    Does anyone know what the pathways are for boys to play State football for NSW? What ages do kids compete at State level? Are they selected into NNSWF or Newcastle Football teams first? Or are there a series of open trials?

I’ve tried Googling this but can’t work out if how boys become available to play State level rep football.
    If you want to represent NNSW then (apart from one or two token players) you had better be a junior jet
    "It is not that I am afraid to die; its just that I don't want to be there when it happens" - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter403 View Post
    If you want to represent NNSW then (apart from one or two token players) you had better be a junior jet
    Jets have their own team for National Titles in u13 and u14. NNSW team is picked from players in the region outside jets program.

Yes if you’re not in the Jets program you may as well be playing on another planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Forever View Post
    Jets have their own team for National Titles in u13 and u14. NNSW team is picked from players in the region outside jets program.
    NNSW teams are selected out of players from the TSP programs and rep players from FMNC, NIF & NCF

I hear NNSW is finally responding to the howls of complaint from Hunter based teams about the standard of refereeing in Coffs for NPL matches. Not heard one positive report from any club that has visited Coffs.

[QUOTE=Hunter403;226783]I hear NNSW is finally responding to the howls of complaint from Hunter based teams about the standard of refereeing in Coffs for NPL matches. Not heard one positive report from any club that has visited Coffs.[/QThey are using local referees who are probably young and not exposed to higher(?)standard football.Unfortunately I can not see this changing as I don't see referees from Newcastle being sent up there-not enough referees and a cost factor(parents would be required to take the referees because most don't drive or have a vehicle)

[QUOTE=outsider;226803]
    I hear NNSW is finally responding to the howls of complaint from Hunter based teams about the standard of refereeing in Coffs for NPL matches. Not heard one positive report from any club that has visited Coffs.[/QThey are using local referees who are probably young and not exposed to higher(?)standard football.Unfortunately I can not see this changing as I don't see referees from Newcastle being sent up there-not enough referees and a cost factor(parents would be required to take the referees because most don't drive or have a vehicle)
    Agree they won’t send referees from Newcastle but something has to be done it’s a joke, only marginally better at Mid North Coast and every referee I have seen at Taree, Port Macquarie and Coffs Harbour in the last two years is over 50, not young referees at all. Age is irrelevant but the Coffs referees especially are biased (perhaps not deliberately) toward Coffs teams and not to NPL standard.

[QUOTE=hamburgler;226811]
    Quote Originally Posted by outsider View Post

Agree they won’t send referees from Newcastle but something has to be done it’s a joke, only marginally better at Mid North Coast and every referee I have seen at Taree, Port Macquarie and Coffs Harbour in the last two years is over 50, not young referees at all. Age is irrelevant but the Coffs referees especially are biased (perhaps not deliberately) toward Coffs teams and not to NPL standard.
    Not sure why Hunter based teams would be complaining, when you go play Hunter teams in the Hunter the Hunter based refs are biased towards Hunter based teams

[QUOTE=Goatscheese;226813]
    Quote Originally Posted by hamburgler View Post

Not sure why Hunter based teams would be complaining, when you go play Hunter teams in the Hunter the Hunter based refs are biased towards Hunter based teams
    Perhaps, but complaints aren't heard time after time like they are when teams visit Coffs. It's embarrassingly one sided

I had the pleasure of watching the junior Jets take on junior Jaffas on the weekend.

They were all playing up an age and were more than a match for the Jaffas in the 14s and 15s. The 16s match was a close affair with two howlers from the Jaffas keeper costing them. The other grades were comfortable Jets wins.

The Jets players are fit and work hard for each other. They press in numbers and break quickly using accurate passing and great off ball movement.

I'd love to know what drill the Jets coaches use to teach the lads to interlock arms with opponents and grab arms as players go by. I'm also impressed by the coordinated appeal that goes up from the players every time a blue shirt hits the ground. Impressive stuff that!

Stick to football young Jets and leave the handiwork (pun intended) to lesser players.

Refereeing very raw.
    example
    Jaffas player knocked over by a Jet and a (rare) Jaffas freekick given
    Jets player: I didn't touch him!
    Referee: You elbowed him in the head!
    Crowd: Where's the yellow then???
    Ref: turns and runs in opposite direction...
    "It is not that I am afraid to die; its just that I don't want to be there when it happens" - Woody Allen

I had the pleasure of watching the junior Jets take on junior Jaffas on the weekend.

They were all playing up an age and were more than a match for the Jaffas in the 14s and 15s. The 16s match was a close affair with two howlers from the Jaffas keeper costing them. The other grades were comfortable Jets wins.

The Jets players are fit and work hard for each other. They press in numbers and break quickly using accurate passing and great off ball movement.

I'd love to know what drill the Jets coaches use to teach the lads to interlock arms with opponents and grab arms as players go by. I'm also impressed by the coordinated appeal that goes up from the players every time a blue shirt hits the ground. Impressive stuff that!

Stick to football young Jets and leave the handiwork (pun intended) to lesser players.

Refereeing very raw.
    example
    Jaffas player knocked over by a Jet and a (rare) Jaffas freekick given
    Jets player: I didn't touch him!
    Referee: You elbowed him in the head!
    Crowd: Where's the yellow then???
    Ref: turns and runs in opposite direction...
    You expect refs to not be biased towards Jets? The'd be sent down to NewFM and WPL if they did

Rumour is that NPL and NEWFM youth ages will align next year in line with current NPL age range.

About time.

Rumour is that NPL and NEWFM youth ages will align next year in line with current NPL age range.

About time.
    It's an old rumour but yes, along with U23 and U20 becoming reserve grade.

Quote Originally Posted by Goatscheese View Post
    You expect refs to not be biased towards Jets? The'd be sent down to NewFM and WPL if they did
    And we wonder why refs quit after comments like these from people who have no idea about the referee associations,
    Middleby Gone

Lawrie Out

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas477 View Post
    And we wonder why refs quit after comments like these from people who have no idea about the referee associations,
    This isn't an attack on the refs this is an attack on the association and what they teach the refs. And you just need to watch these sort of games to see it is true.

If I wanted to talk about poor referring I could talk about a lot of other things which is also a slight against the associations that don't teach their refs properly to improve, reward good behaviour and punish bad.

You can’t seriously think that refs go out there with every intention of doing the best job they can, remaining impartial, applying their educated interpretation of the FIFA mandated laws of the game and making decisions on the fly based on what they see and deem correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
    You can’t seriously think that refs go out there with every intention of doing the best job they can, remaining impartial, applying their educated interpretation of the FIFA mandated laws of the game and making decisions on the fly based on what they see and deem correct.
    What we are talking about is under thirteen to under sixteen football where the players are learning their game.What do you think the referees are doing.We have so many young referees just starting out who are trying their hearts out.For your information these young referees have a theory training session every two weeks where as many as can turn up.However the referees come from all areas on Newcastle and the Hunter and rely on parent transport so not everyone can come all the time.You have probably never looked at a rules of the game law book-get one and have a look at what is involved and look at the list towards the back with the number of things for the referee to consider.So instead of getting on your high horse how about giving the kids a chance or maybe even refereeing some games yourself-might change your tune.There are not enough referees to go around-these young people are the referees of the future and although they make mistakes you should count up the number of errors your players make.

Quote Originally Posted by outsider View Post
    What we are talking about is under thirteen to under sixteen football where the players are learning their game.What do you think the referees are doing.We have so many young referees just starting out who are trying their hearts out.For your information these young referees have a theory training session every two weeks where as many as can turn up.However the referees come from all areas on Newcastle and the Hunter and rely on parent transport so not everyone can come all the time.You have probably never looked at a rules of the game law book-get one and have a look at what is involved and look at the list towards the back with the number of things for the referee to consider.So instead of getting on your high horse how about giving the kids a chance or maybe even refereeing some games yourself-might change your tune.There are not enough referees to go around-these young people are the referees of the future and although they make mistakes you should count up the number of errors your players make.
    Ugh, my tongue was firmly in cheek with my comments.
    Have been a referee for many years.

Have posted many comments replicating what you’ve said in other threads.

Quote Originally Posted by Goatscheese View Post
    This isn't an attack on the refs this is an attack on the association and what they teach the refs. And you just need to watch these sort of games to see it is true.
    As a member of said association and having received the same education, I’m happy to clarify that we are NOT taught to favour the Jets at all.

Just because we make a split second decision that goes against little cheese, doesn’t mean there’s a whole conspiracy. We have a split second to make a decision based on what we saw, and as the day goes on, we get more and more fatigued. And yes, a lot of the referees on NPL juniors are young, they’re learning the trade as they’re going, not unlike the players. We’re human, we will make mistakes, and if you expect perfection, well .

But then again, as Brem said, who’d think we’d go out there and put ourselves in a position to be abused by all and sundry, and try to do the best job we can. Quite mad, really.
    Middleby Gone

Lawrie Out

As a member of said association and having received the same education, I’m happy to clarify that we are NOT taught to favour the Jets at all.

Just because we make a split second decision that goes against little cheese, doesn’t mean there’s a whole conspiracy. We have a split second to make a decision based on what we saw, and as the day goes on, we get more and more fatigued. And yes, a lot of the referees on NPL juniors are young, they’re learning the trade as they’re going, not unlike the players. We’re human, we will make mistakes, and if you expect perfection, well .

But then again, as Brem said, who’d think we’d go out there and put ourselves in a position to be abused by all and sundry, and try to do the best job we can. Quite mad, really.
    I have been coaching against the Jets Youth teams through SAP and NPL for the last 5 years and have never once felt that the refs favoured the Jets.