Page 95 of 98 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697 ... LastLast
Results 1,881 to 1,900 of 1953

Thread: You know what really grinds my gears?

DJ's and the whole DJ's rather than live bands scene these days.

A macbook is not a musical instrument it's evidence that you don't have any talent.

learn to actually play or fff- fffff -ffffff piss off.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post

A macbook is not a musical instrument it's evidence that you don't have any talent.

This could be the greatest post ever on the fox. Cant agree more

Banned

Guitars are extinct. Youth are the story tellers

This.

космонавт-исследователь boz-monaut's Avatar
    people who try to elevate one form of creativity over another, particularly when it casts them and their efforts over others

also, pointless arguments that were pointless decades ago

wait, so are vocalists good or bad?
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Seems like I am WRONG

космонавт-исследователь boz-monaut's Avatar
    yes, as long as they have a "lil" in their name

YouTube mumble rappers > Ronnie James Dio

Quote Originally Posted by boz-monaut View Post

The Migos have range baby.
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    Seems like I am WRONG

Quote Originally Posted by boz-monaut View Post

Now now boz... I always appreciate your humour, but no jokes about Dio, the bloke was a king among men.. haha

"Real" music using real talent died when digital came to the fore. Now any gimp with Fruity Loops can become a "ledge" by creating effects in a few minutes.

Us old fossils had it tough - hours with a razor blade, reel to reel tape and a keen ear took days to create the same effects. My 12 minute "Blue Monday" remix was made with love and not a small amount of skill.

so are drummers talented?
    Seems like I am WRONG

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    so are drummers talented?
    Drummers are very talented.

They make great guitarists. Eddie Van Halen, Tommy Emmanuel, Frank Zappa. all started as drummers [very good ones as well] and came to the guitar with a brilliant sense of rhythm and timing.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 08-12-2018 at 05:36 PM.

being stuck at work when the most riveting finish to a test in quite some time is going on.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by belchardo View Post
    being stuck at work when the most riveting finish to a test in quite some time is going on.
    Wasnt that good really another 20 runs and it would have got interesting

More a case of the Indians ineptitude and Kohlis failings as a captain that it got that close

Dumb **** has blokes on the boundary for no 11 Hazleweood on **** all and 1 slip and 1 bat pad to a spinner

With 1 wicket and 60/70/80 etc to go he aint playing big shots

****ing stupidity

Great batsmen.
    Great competitor
    Great personality

Useless at captaincy though

Nothing better than the poor Member being loud wrong then doubling down with an even louder and wronger thing which he then points to and says "see, lots of us think like that".

As far as DJ's / musicians go. You just have to learn to appreciate different things. Its not that dissimilar from the difference between session musicians and songwriters/artists. What you think is better depends on whether you value creativity or technical ability on the "instrument". Because they are two very different things. Most famous guitarists aren't famous for being able to play the fastest, or the cleanest, or the most difficult licks. Its the fact that they conceive of them in the first place. How many thousands of guitarists can produce a perfect rendition of Stairway to Heaven? The technical ability to recreate it isn't the impressive part.

I tend to feel the same about DJs/producers, some of which are actually skillful musicians in their own right - the Presets are an electronic duo from Australia with a background in the Sydney Conservatorium where they studied classical music.
    Yeah, its not as difficult to create the rhythm or melodies on a laptop as it is with instruments. But if that is all you're listening to music for then you are missing the point, and I can assume that you only listen to something like orchestral classical music where the technical difficulty and skill level is at its peak.

And I say this without trying to say that you have to like or enjoy different styles of music. But you can still appreciate the artistry or creativity that a composer has regardless of what tools they are using to enact their particular vision.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    As far as DJ's / musicians go. You just have to learn to appreciate different things. Its not that dissimilar from the difference between session musicians and songwriters/artists. What you think is better depends on whether you value creativity or technical ability on the "instrument". Because they are two very different things. Most famous guitarists aren't famous for being able to play the fastest, or the cleanest, or the most difficult licks. Its the fact that they conceive of them in the first place. How many thousands of guitarists can produce a perfect rendition of Stairway to Heaven? The technical ability to recreate it isn't the impressive part.

I tend to feel the same about DJs/producers, some of which are actually skillful musicians in their own right - the Presets are an electronic duo from Australia with a background in the Sydney Conservatorium where they studied classical music.
    Yeah, its not as difficult to create the rhythm or melodies on a laptop as it is with instruments. But if that is all you're listening to music for then you are missing the point, and I can assume that you only listen to something like orchestral classical music where the technical difficulty and skill level is at its peak.

And I say this without trying to say that you have to like or enjoy different styles of music. But you can still appreciate the artistry or creativity that a composer has regardless of what tools they are using to enact their particular vision.
    You are totally correct, BUT perhaps going down a different rabbit hole than what I think was originally intended..

I could be wrong, but I am assuming Dunster was referring to the sort of DJ you would see at your local pub/club.
    Person (usually a hot chick) shows up, hits play, someone else's music comes out, acts like they are a genius and rocking the house..

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the skin, but I don't see how it requires a large amount of talent.. I've never done it, perhaps there is more to it than meets the eye..

I know I'm leaving myself open to all of the mixing and beat matching and all that stuff, I'm happy to be wrong and shown that that stuff takes the same amount of time to master as it does an instrument..

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post

Jimmy Page was a session musician - He was the hired gun for producer Shel Talmy. Plenty of other session guitarists had successful careers as well. Glen Campbell made 40 albums 27 of which made the Billboard top ten. Jerry Reed, Chet Atkins, Duane Allman, Eric Clapton, Steve Lukather... and the list goes on. All hired guns but also wrote, produced, and played some of the biggest selling albums / songs of all time.

DJ's don't come close.

Classical music has been dead for a long time - the few great players left are well past their best and the benchmarks of their instruments like Heifetz [violin] or Dennis Brain [Horn ] have not been equalled and probably never will be.

Last edited by The Dunster; 11-12-2018 at 01:24 PM.

For those playing at home the piano part's not difficult - the Horn part is essentially impossible but Dennis Brain makes it look like child's play.

Sorry, but it grinds my gears when DJ's want to stand alongside this sort of greatness and call themselves musicians.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 11-12-2018 at 06:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bon View Post
    You are totally correct, BUT perhaps going down a different rabbit hole than what I think was originally intended..

I could be wrong, but I am assuming Dunster was referring to the sort of DJ you would see at your local pub/club.
    Person (usually a hot chick) shows up, hits play, someone else's music comes out, acts like they are a genius and rocking the house..

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the skin, but I don't see how it requires a large amount of talent.. I've never done it, perhaps there is more to it than meets the eye..

I know I'm leaving myself open to all of the mixing and beat matching and all that stuff, I'm happy to be wrong and shown that that stuff takes the same amount of time to master as it does an instrument..
    I agree but their is an Art to making the perfect playlist for the right crowd
    Quote Originally Posted by lquiquer View Post
    Welcome to the circus ... And I can't argue any of your points... In contention for best first post of the year... ��

love at first sight