Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 NPL Youth Thread

Imo, a coach has a couple of sprays up their sleeve each season. In my opinion they should be reserved for effort related issues like turning the ball over cheaply and not trying to recover or just not putting in 100% effort. Effort is something the player can control, and as a player I had no problem with a coach pointing that out.
    Mistakes, positioning, skills etc should draw constructive feedback and simple instructions.

Personally, I don’t think many young players or players in general react positively to being yelled at.

I think there are ways to keep players accountable that don’t involve yelling. Players Identifying their game goals or writing down an objective or aim then reviewing it post game is a way to make players think about their own game.
    I remember a coach I had in NBN 18s told me as captain I needed to get up my players when they screwed up and to let them know it wasn’t good enough. For me, that wasn’t my nature. As mentioned above, players know when they make errors or do something wrong, the reaction and effort is much more important. Encourage them to make sure next time or to work to get it back, just some encouragement goes a long way and fosters a much better experience.

Quote Originally Posted by THEBIGCHEESE View Post
    This is very subjective. What you class as yelling and abuse others may refer to it as having high expectations and being able to perform under pressure.

So far throughout out this website these players are not allowed to be shouted at by Parents, coaches and now their own players.

I would love someone to explain to me how these players can be held accountable for poor performances during and after games? and how this lack of mental resilience is going to hold them for senior football when coaches, players and supporters will be yelling and abusing them?
    100% agree.
    Kitz is one of those people who talk plenty about something they know very little about.

Quote Originally Posted by KITZ View Post
    I'm not sure you should be throwing rocks in that glass house. Edgeworth 14's were pretty horrid to each other during the warm up on Saturday. and then in the second half when they couldn't score against city I heard from players on the field the longer they went without a goal the more they broke down and started yelling and abusing each other. I mean what on earth is the point of that - maybe losing a game would be in their best interests to learn something.

Goes to show that resilience is more important than a lot of people like to think and maybe for those teams to lose some points - or a game every now and then would do them some good. Nothing wrong with a bit of humility you know. Theres always someone in the world thats better, and those at the top of the ladder regularly go to Sydney and get it handed to them :shrug:
    Winners want to win and sometimes that leads to outbursts in the heat of the moment. Nothing wrong with being passionate about your sport. In fact, as long as it’s left on the field, I’m all for telling a team mate to lift his game. Once the final whistle blows it should be handshakes all round no matter how fuming you are.
    The rest can pick up their participation ribbons on the way out of the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
    Imo, a coach has a couple of sprays up their sleeve each season. In my opinion they should be reserved for effort related issues like turning the ball over cheaply and not trying to recover or just not putting in 100% effort. Effort is something the player can control, and as a player I had no problem with a coach pointing that out.
    Mistakes, positioning, skills etc should draw constructive feedback and simple instructions.
    I think KITZ may be talking about the players yelling at each other rather than the coach. Now knowing who coaches that team I'd be surprised if it was him yelling abuse at the players even if they royally screwed up.

Now if it was players it depends what was being said, if a player made a mistake and they are calling him "stupid", "shit", "you don't know how to play", I'd agree that it isn't a good look nor is it something that will make that player improve. If they were yelling things that gave constructive feedback or ways to improve then it is a different story and not abuse.

But they won by six goals so they must have been doing something right.

I'm not sure you should be throwing rocks in that glass house. Edgeworth 14's were pretty horrid to each other during the warm up on Saturday. and then in the second half when they couldn't score against city I heard from players on the field the longer they went without a goal the more they broke down and started yelling and abusing each other. I mean what on earth is the point of that - maybe losing a game would be in their best interests to learn something.

Goes to show that resilience is more important than a lot of people like to think and maybe for those teams to lose some points - or a game every now and then would do them some good. Nothing wrong with a bit of humility you know. Theres always someone in the world thats better, and those at the top of the ladder regularly go to Sydney and get it handed to them :shrug:
    They couldn’t score against City in the second half as they felt 6 goals was already enough. That is not nice they were yelling at each other if abusive. That needs to be addressed by the club. Resilience is great and so is humility. Maybe they will experience it in a different game. Yes there is always someone better. Edgy 14s have lined up a game vs Manchester City just to test their qualities of resilience and humility. Keep producing those great chicken schnitzel burgers Lake Macquarie, they are really good.

Quote Originally Posted by Goatscheese View Post
    I think KITZ may be talking about the players yelling at each other rather than the coach. Now knowing who coaches that team I'd be surprised if it was him yelling abuse at the players even if they royally screwed up.

Now if it was players it depends what was being said, if a player made a mistake and they are calling him "stupid", "shit", "you don't know how to play", I'd agree that it isn't a good look nor is it something that will make that player improve. If they were yelling things that gave constructive feedback or ways to improve then it is a different story and not abuse.

But they won by six goals so they must have been doing something right.
    Yes - It was players at each other, and not constructive. - which is why I said its easy to point the finger but ignore what happens in your own house - something that judging by some emails and posts I've seen is an increasing problem right through from community to the higher levels at the moment.

Yes - the 6 goals were in the first half - city learnt a valuable lesson about walking onto the field with the right mindset right from the start . They improved significantly in the second half and kept them out - The longer they kept them out the more Edgeworth deteriorated to the end of the game - which was my point about resilience, don't think they need to play man city to learn that even though some people missed the point lol.

Yes - It was players at each other, and not constructive. - which is why I said its easy to point the finger but ignore what happens in your own house - something that judging by some emails and posts I've seen is an increasing problem right through from community to the higher levels at the moment.

Yes - the 6 goals were in the first half - city learnt a valuable lesson about walking onto the field with the right mindset right from the start . They improved significantly in the second half and kept them out - The longer they kept them out the more Edgeworth deteriorated to the end of the game - which was my point about resilience, don't think they need to play man city to learn that even though some people missed the point lol.
    KITZ last night Edgeworth 14s played Jets 14s and lost 5-1. Now they have had their taste of humility they can get back to winning 😂

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Carl View Post
    KITZ last night Edgeworth 14s played Jets 14s and lost 5-1. Now they have had their taste of humility they can get back to winning ��
    Why did this game happen? Trial for new players? practise?

Quote Originally Posted by traffic light View Post
    Just a practice game.

KITZ last night Edgeworth 14s played Jets 14s and lost 5-1. Now they have had their taste of humility they can get back to winning 😂
    unsurprisingly you missed the point.

I understand it was for Kew to look at players for TSP and since that Edgeworth team now has the most players selected Kew must've been happy with them.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Goatscheese View Post
    I understand it was for Kew to look at players for TSP and since that Edgeworth team now has the most players selected Kew must've been happy with them.
    Interestingly. Edgy also had the most players selected in the recent 12s tsp trials.

Interestingly. Edgy also had the most players selected in the recent 12s tsp trials.
    Yeah both edgy and Olympic had 4 each, maitland, magic and Valo 3 ... Jaffas only 1 surprisingly

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Take it easy View Post
    Yeah both edgy and Olympic had 4 each, maitland, magic and Valo 3 ... Jaffas only 1 surprisingly
    A couple of those were at Jaffas last year. Makes no difference. As long as they are choosing the right kids.

A couple of those were at Jaffas last year. Makes no difference. As long as they are choosing the right kids.
    5 former Jaffas to be exact..

Banned
    Someone mentioned earlier about the importance of tournament football. Are there any happening soon?

Someone mentioned earlier about the importance of tournament football. Are there any happening soon?
    Kanga cup is one of the best tournaments you can enter. Nothing bonds a team like A week in Canberra in July

Quote Originally Posted by BS detecor View Post
    Kanga cup is one of the best tournaments you can enter. Nothing bonds a team like A week in Canberra in July
    Agreed and I have always thought it a concept that could be accommodated in Newcastle.

I am going to pick a selection of games for next week’s youth round 11 and ask you to pick the winners:

U13 Azzurri vs Edgeworth
    U14 Magic vs Mid Coast
    U15 Maitland vs Valentine
    U16 Rosebuds vs Jaffas

I am going to pick a selection of games for next week’s youth round 11 and ask you to pick the winners:

U13 Azzurri vs Edgeworth
    U14 Magic vs Mid Coast
    U15 Maitland vs Valentine
    U16 Rosebuds vs Jaffas
    Azzuri - Surprise packets and will be there when the Season gets serious
    Magic
    Valentine
    Jaffas