Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: 17/18 HAL Grand Final | Newcastle Jets v Melbourne Victory | Sat 5th May 2018 750pm

MFKS is right. Sh|t happens in football. Teams should always aim for that 2 or 3 goal margin in case. We couldn't.

Thomas won the game; he was astounding. Roy was battered and angry and, ultimately, incredibly reckless and stupid. You think we would have won in extra time playing a man down?

And re: the VAR cock-up, yes it was astoundingly bad, but it's the kind of mistake organisations learn from. One tiny benefit.

Lawrence Thomas for me was the game changer, if his first half wasn't as good as it was at minimum we were going into that second half 1-1.

Unfortunately the Jets also shot themselves in the foot in the second half, just didn't come at them with the same energy and didn't pepper them nearly enough. If we played to the same level as we did in the first I feel like we surely would've nabbed one.

Obviously there are things out of the Jets control such as poor reffing and the VAR incident that also 100% led to us not pulling away with a win.

And i hate being this guy, but at least there's a silver lining in that a team that was wooden spooners last year just competed in the grand final and just about won the whole thing. We have almost the same team for next season, with the same coach so if we can move some stuff around, sort out some kinks and get them back into it for next season, i see no reason why we can't replicate very similar results

FFA....."we'll fairly award the Championship to the best team and that is Sydney FC".

Quote Originally Posted by Couscous View Post
    MFKS is right. Sh|t happens in football. Teams should always aim for that 2 or 3 goal margin in case. We couldn't.

Thomas won the game; he was astounding. Roy was battered and angry and, ultimately, incredibly reckless and stupid. You think we would have won in extra time playing a man down?
    Do you think Roy would have been so desperate at 0-0?

And it’s not just bitter Jets fans. The consensus is that we were well & truly robbed. If that goal is disallowed, Victory don’t shut up shop. The ref let them drag the game into the ****ing mud after that and it was game over. Yep Thomas made some great saves but Moss didn’t- because MV didn’t even threaten our goal. I can admit we could have performed a lot better, but MV sure as hell didn’t deserve to lift the trophy for their performance.

Is this karma for the James Holland handball 10yrs ago.

The sooner the running of the actual competition is taken away from the FFA shit like this will always be the norm. They are accountable only to themselves and whilst that incompetent ( history proven ) Gallop and buy my position Lowy Jnr are running it and employing scapegoats such as Rourke and previously Damien de Bohun, Remember the amateurish lets forget to book a stadium for the GF under de Bohun a few years ago.

If it weren't for the fact the FFA is so obviously incompetent you could almost make a case for an inquiry in to whether the organisation has a corrupt presence within it. I am NOT saying it is but with all the inconsistencies we have seen in recent times you could hardly blame any fan for thinking an inquiry would be a good thing for the game in general.

BTW there is no way in hell somebody like Ben Wilson can continue in his role in the game for starters.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by halo se7en View Post
    And it’s not just bitter Jets fans. The consensus is that we were well & truly robbed. If that goal is disallowed, Victory don’t shut up shop. The ref let them drag the game into the ****ing mud after that and it was game over. Yep Thomas made some great saves but Moss didn’t- because MV didn’t even threaten our goal. I can admit we could have performed a lot better, but MV sure as hell didn’t deserve to lift the trophy for their performance.
    WTF you talking about??

They got a goal by hook or by crook

Then they defended well
    Their keeper pulled a couple of saves out of his arse to keep them in front
    They gave away fouls
    They ran the clock down
    They frustrated the opposition
    They ground out the result

If that was us we be talking about how great we were to grind out a result when not playing scinitilating football

The idea last night wasnt to play joga bonito

The idea was to get the result

Victory did and they did it pretty well.
    They were not free flowing great but they actually out fought us physically out thought us mentally and won the battle where it mattered

Credit where it is due

They won fair and square

Banned
    Do you think Roy would have been so desperate at 0-0?
    Roy needed to pull his head in regardless of the scoreline

As soon as he got carded it cost us any hope

We had a slim chance of pulling it out

Goals in injury time happen but thgat card cost us what little chance we had

2 of our biggest games of the season and this bloke has cost his team by getting sent off needlessly .

Not ****ing good enough really

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post

They won fair and square
    Except they didn’t.

Roy needed to pull his head in regardless of the scoreline

As soon as he got carded it cost us any hope

We had a slim chance of pulling it out

Goals in injury time happen but thgat card cost us what little chance we had

2 of our biggest games of the season and this bloke has cost his team by getting sent off needlessly .

Not ****ing good enough really
    I know you’ve been away for a while but at least read the whole post AND the post I was replying to before shooting your mouth off.

Someone made the comment that at 0-0, that action from Roy would have cost us in extra time. My comment was that at 0-0, Roy probably doesn’t make that action.

Banned
    Except they didn’t.
    They were the beneficiary of an incorrect refereeing decision just as we were the beneficiary the week before when Johnny K fouled Arzani and we got away with it fortuitously

Swings and Roundabouts

So Tards didnt cheat they just played to the referees whistle and got a decision their way which we didnt

Unless ypu got some proof that Muscat met Gillette with a bag full of cash in King Edward Park yesterday morning then all that happened was Victory got a generous ref call their way and nothing more.

That football

Deal with it

It's not good enough to just come out and say it was a technical error. Is this like saying pre-var the linesman chosen for the game had known to suffer from poor vision. You want to introduce this fancy pants technology you gotta build and provide an available/bullet proof system. In the end the guys marking that line would be taking a risk to expose offside also knowing that it would be captured on VAR if the linesman "failed to see it". It has definitely influenced the game and outcome.
    How far does this go, playing devils advocate, if VAR goes down, is it also the equivalent of the lights at the ground turning off/power outage, should it be detected and play stop? This would be yet another "test case" to show the world of the VAR frailties.

Yes, yes, yes, overall we should have done better and to also complete some of our opportunities. Ernesto has been great in getting our players to make many many more attacking opportunities this year but sometimes/some games it felt like we couldn't take them...... This was another of those games.

Anyway, here is the photo to plaster it onto this foz to re-inforce how crap it was....... taken from eSaBeSa - via Fox
    VAR at its best.jpg
    (https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/arti...ion-admits-ffa).

Ernesto's post-game conference was pretty good.

It's easy to overlook how great this year was compared to previous years ........ Here's to next year....... arrrrrrgh

Banned
    I know you’ve been away for a while but at least read the whole post AND the post I was replying to before shooting your mouth off.

Someone made the comment that at 0-0, that action from Roy would have cost us in extra time. My comment was that at 0-0, Roy probably doesn’t make that action.
    So the old if my auntie had balls she would be my uncle debate.

Dont matter what could or should have occurred

At 90th minute 0-1 down in a GF

You dont do what Roy done.

He let his team mates down. He let the coach down. He let thge fans down

If we were 5-0 up and that was Hutcho then maybe you can justify it.5 5 5

But that was a scandalous act and a disgrace to the shirt in the circumstances

I hope Gypo Bert and Griff take some form of stronger action as a message needs to be sent that we as a club dont play that way

I think the biggest problem is that linesmen are being urged to “not flag borderline offsides” and to “let play unfold and let VAR sort it out”.
    Was watching Victory semi final today and heard the commentators banging on about how great it is when linesmen let play go on and let var sort out the finer details of offside. FFS.

I really hope the linesmen got it wrong. I hope he didn’t think it was offside. I hope he didn’t let it go to var like everyone wants.’

Can you just go on about homophobic tirade and get banned again please? This place was so much better without your brand of stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
    I think the biggest problem is that linesmen are being urged to “not flag borderline offsides” and to “let play unfold and let VAR sort it out”.
    Was watching Victory semi final today and heard the commentators banging on about how great it is when linesmen let play go on and let var sort out the finer details of offside. FFS.

I really hope the linesmen got it wrong. I hope he didn’t think it was offside. I hope he didn’t let it go to var like everyone wants.’
    i was thinking about everytime robbie slater, brenton speed and john aloisi implored the assistant to keep the flag down and let VAR sort it out.

So the old if my auntie had balls she would be my uncle debate.

Dont matter what could or should have occurred

At 90th minute 0-1 down in a GF

You dont do what Roy done.

He let his team mates down. He let the coach down. He let thge fans down

If we were 5-0 up and that was Hutcho then maybe you can justify it.5 5 5

But that was a scandalous act and a disgrace to the shirt in the circumstances

I hope Gypo Bert and Griff take some form of stronger action as a message needs to be sent that we as a club dont play that way
    Mate, will you read the other posts properly please? Or just get yourself banned again to avoid the frustration of talking to a brick wall. I'm not wasting my breath again for one.
    Last edited by Jetmaster; 06-05-2018 at 08:14 PM.

At the end of the day we did not play anywhere near our best football and what we are capable of. At our best we overcome that early ripp off setback in a canter. I do agree there is some decision making and a line drawn in the sand re Roy, No excuses desperation or not. We would be dead set baying for blood if the shoe was on the other foot ie Bess on Moss.

Bring on next season, Plenty to look forward too IMO. How many of us would have taken a home GF this season before the season proper kicked off in a heartbeat.Wonderful season all things considered.

Many thanks to JP and Turbo for the stats and media updates.