2016/2017 Hyundai A-League
Season 12 Round 1
Newcastle United Jets FC vs Adelaide United FC
When: Sunday 9th October, 2016
Where: Hunter Stadium, 294 Turton Road, New Lambton, NSW
Kickoff: 5pm AEDST (gates open 4pm)
Tickets: Ticketmaster Link
Prematch: Premier Hotel, 1 Brunker Rd, Broadmeadow from 2pm
Join The Squadron at our new venue The Premier Hotel for prematch drinks. All supporters are welcome – u18’s will need to be accompanied by a supervising adult.
If you sign up to become a Premier Hotel member for $10, you receive $10 in credit on your card. Ask for a membership form at the bar. A Premier Hotel membership gets you a 5% discount on food & drink not only at Premier but also at Junction Hotel & Sunnyside Tavern. We will depart from the Premier 40 mins prior to the 5pm kickoff.
Watch: LIVE on Foxsports 4 and FoxSports 4HD
Listen: ABC Newcastle 1233 or ABC Grandstand online
Tweet: @newyboys #NTUA #NEWvADL
Active support is now located in the Bay 40/41 on the Southern Hill.
If you have ever wanted to join active support and try it out, now is the time. We are looking for people to step up and be involved in active support so please come along and join in.
Make sure you purchase an active support ticket from the dedicated ticket window at the Western Stand to gain entry to the active support area.
Overall – 34 matches between the two teams.
Jets Wins – 10, United Wins – 14, Drawn – 10
In Newcastle – 15 matches.
Jets Wins – 7, United Wins – 5, Drawn – 3
In Adelaide – 19 matches
Jets Wins – 3, United Wins – 9, Drawn – 7
Average Home A-League Crowd – 10308
Average Away A-League Crowd – 10057
Goals in Fixture
Jets – 33, United – 44
In Newcastle –
Jets – 16, United – 13
1st Goals in Fixture
Jets – 15, United – 14
Cards in Fixture
Jets – 88 (86 yellow, 2 red), United 51 (48 yellow, 3 red)
Last Result –
Jets 0 – United 1 (Carrusca 43′) at Hindmarsh Stadium, A-League, Round 17, 31/01/2016.
Starting line-ups from Last Meeting in Season 15/16 Round
||Iacopo La Rocca
|Leonardo Vitor Santiago
Jets 4 (Kemp 12’og, Carle 22’, Zelic 68’, Carle 89’) – Adelaide 2 (Valkanis 38, Corbo 67’og) at Hindmarsh Stadium, Round 8, Season 2005/06, 14/10/2005.
Jets 0 – Adelaide 7 (Djite 2’, 54’, Carrusca 23’, 28’, Boogaard 35’, Cirio 70’, Isais 90+3’) at Hindmarsh Stadium, A-League Season 2014/15 Round 15, 24/01/2015.
Leading Scorers in fixture –
Jets – Joel Griffiths, Nick Carle, Mark Bridge, Matt Thompson (3)
United – Marcelo Carrusca (5)
Newcastle Jets A-League Coaching Records –
- Scott Miller – 3 matches (0 wins, 2 drawn, 1 loss = 0% win ratio)
- Phil Stubbins – 3 matches (1 win, 0 drawn, 2 losses = 33% win ratio)
- Gary Van Egmond – 17 matches (5 wins, 7 drawn and 5 losses = 29% win ratio)
- Richard Money – 3 matches (1 win, 0 drawn, 2 losses = 33% win ratio)
- Branko Culina – 6 matches (2 wins, 2 drawn, 2 losses = 33% win ratio)
- Nick Theodorakopoulos – 1 match (0 wins, 0 drawn, 1 loss = 0% win ratio)
- Craig Deans – No Matches
- Clayton Zane – 1 match (1 wins, 0 drawn, 0 losses = 100% win ratio)
Adelaide United Coach Record – Guillermo Amor 33% win ratio (1 win, 2 drawn, 0 losses)
Memorable Match – 11th April 2014
- Marked the final match for former captain Michael Bridges. In the 2-0 win, Bridges provided an assist for the 90th minute goal from Adam Taggart. Bridges made 66 appearances in 5 seasons with the club.
- Newcastle have never defeated Adelaide when they have faced off in Rd 1.
- The Jets have won 3, drawn 4 and lost 4 of their first round matches.
- There was only 1 goals scored between these teams in the 3 fixtures last year. The goal was scored by Marcello Carrusca.
- There have been 6 red cards shown in the last 6 matches at Hunter Stadium.
- The Jets have scored 10 goals in the last 6 matches at Hunter Stadium – being held scoreless only once during this time.
- Devante Clut, Wayne Brown, Andrew Nabbout, Kristian Brymora, Ivan Vujica and Aleksandr Kokko are in line to make their A-League debut for the club. The next player to appear will be player #139 for the Jets.
- Only 6 players have scored on their A-League debut for the Newcastle Jets. Milos Trifunovic and Byun Sung-Hwan are the only two to have scored a debut goal in Round 1.
- This will be the first season in the last 4 that Mark Birighitti has not started in Round 1.
- Jack Duncan could become just the 8th keeper to start a match for the Jets.
- Newcastle have lost only once to Adelaide in the last 5 visits of United to Newcastle.
- The Jets haven’t scored a first half goal against Adelaide in the last 2 seasons.
- The Jets conceded a penalty in their last 3 matches at the end of last season.
- The Jets have scored the first goal in 3 of their last 4 A-League matches.
- The Jets are 16528 attendees away from having their 1,500,000 person at a Jets match.
- Newcastle have never recovered a point when they have gone behind to Adelaide.
- Adelaide have kept Newcastle scoreless for the last 459 minutes of play. The last goal scored by a Jets player against Adelaide was Jeronimo Neumann.
- Guillermo Amor is undefeated against the Jets.
- Newcastle Jets Daniel Alessi – Knee (Season).
- Adelaide United
After what seemed like an uncharacteristically stable off season where a gradual build-up in friendly matches and an overseas tour, the Jets again delivered by terminating the contract of Scott Miller. After a 3 week search the Jets appointed former assistant Mark Jones in his first A-League coaching job – the third debut appointment in a row for the club.
Despite losing 3-1 to the Victory on a wild wet and windy night in the FFA Cup, the Jets have had a generally successful preseason – highlighted by the goalscoring form of Andrew Hoole and Andrew Nabbout. This might come too quick for Mateo Poljak (Hamstring) and Labinot Haliti (Knee) to return from injury.
Reigning champions Adelaide have lost a number of players, primarily in the forward line but have otherwise managed to retain the spine of their title winning team.
The Jets haven’t had a great recent record against Adelaide. Will Mark Jones have had enough time to make his influence on the team prior to this match? How will Adelaide’s new look forward line gel?
I think the departure of Miller so close to the start of the season will see the Jets struggle as they adapt to his game plan while the champions will have too much class.
LINE UP (Predicted) Duncan, Hoffman, Mullen, Boogaard, Cowburn, Ugarkovic, Brown, Nabbout, Nordstrand, Hoole, Kokko.
SQUAD: – 2. Daniel MULLEN, 3. Jason HOFFMAN, 4. Nigel BOOGAARD (C), 5. Ben KANTAROVSKI, 6. Steven UGARKOVIC, 7. Andrew HOOLE, 8. Mateo POLJAK, 9. Aleksandr KOKKO, 10. Wayne BROWN, 11. Labinot HALITI, 13. Ivan VUJICA, 15. Andrew NABBOUT, 16. Nicholas COWBURN, 19. Morten NORDSTRAND, 20. Jack DUNCAN (gk), 22. Lachlan JACKSON, 23. Devante CLUT, 30. Pierce CLARK (gk) **two to be omitted**
Unavailable: 1. Ben KENNEDY (gk) (injury – indefinite), 21. Daniel Alessi (knee – season)