2014/2015 Hyundai A-League
Season 10 Round 3
Wellington Phoenix FC vs Newcastle United Jets FC
When: Sunday 26th October, 2014
Where: Westpac Stadium, 105 Waterloo Quay, Wellington, NZ
Kickoff: 3pm AEDST (local time 5pm)
Watch: LIVE on Foxsports 1 and FoxSports 1HD
Listen: ABC Grandstand Digital online or ABC Radio App
Tweet: @newyboys #WELvNEW #NTUA
If you are unable to travel to the game in Wellington, please come down to the District Park Tennis Club in Broadmeadow and watch the game LIVE. The Tenzo is our permanent venue for both home AND away Newcastle Jets fixtures.
Jets Wins – 6, Phoenix Wins – 13, Drawn – 3
Jets Wins – 2, Phoenix Wins – 8, Drawn – 2
Average Away A-League crowd – 9328
Goals in Fixture
Jets – 24, Phoenix – 41
Cards in Fixture
Jets – 43 (39 Yellow, 4 Red), Phoenix – 39 (36 Yellow, 3 Red)
Recent Form (FFA Cup & A-League)
Jets – DLL
Phoenix – WLL
Jets – Edson Montano 1, Phoenix – Michael McGlinchy 2
Last Result –
Jets 5 (Heskey 36’, Griffiths 46’, Taggart 57’, Taggart 77’, Bridges 90+3’) – Phoenix 0 at Hunter Stadium, Round 24.
Leading Scorers in fixture –
Phoenix – 6 (Shane Smeltz)
2014/15 SEASON STATISTICS
- 2 Mark Birrighiti, Scott Neville, Kew Jaliens, Sam Gallagher, David Carney, Taylor Regan, Jacob Pepper, Joel Griffiths, Edson Montano, Jonny Steele, Andrew Hoole, Marco Flores. Jeronimo Neumann
- 1 James Virgili, Zenon Caravella
- 1 Edson Montano
- 1 Joel Griffiths
- 2 Taylor Regan, Jeronimo Neumann
- 1 Marcos Flores, Jonny Steele
- Phil Stubbins – 0 Matches (0 wins, 0 drawn, 0 losses = -% win ratio)
- Gary Van Egmond – 12 matches (3 wins, 3 drawn and 6 losses = 25% win ratio)
- Richard Money – 0 matches (0 wins, 0 drawn, 0 loss = -% win ratio)
- Branko Culina – 7 matches (2 wins, 0 drawn, 5 losses = 29% win ratio)
- Nick Theodorakopoulos – 0 match (0 wins, 0 drawn, 0 losses = -% win ratio)
- Clayton Zane – 2 matches (1 wins, 0 drawn, 1 loss = 50% win ratio)
- Craig Deans -1 Match (0 win, 0 drawn, 1 loss = 0% win ratio)
- The Jets kept two clean sheets against the Phoenix last year – once at home and once away.
- The Jets have come away with points form Wellington in their last 3 visits. Two of these were draws on a Sunday.
- Previously, the Jets had lost 9 form 10 fixtures, including a run of 7 straight losses.
- The Jets have a W-D-L record against Ernie Merrick coached sides of 9-5-7.
- Taylor Regan, should he play, will become the Jets 16th most capped player with 55 appearances, surpassing Ante Covic.
- Last weekend, Edson Montano became the 51st goal scorer for the Newcastle Jets.
- The last meeting between the two clubs served as the club’s biggest victory. It was also the last match in which a substitute scored for the Jets – a cracking volley by Michael Bridges.
- The Jets have won a third round match four times, lost four times and drawn once in 9 seasons of the A-League. The only draw was last season’s match away at the Phoenix in which both teams were scoreless.
- The Jets haven’t lost in the last 23 matches when they’ve been ahead at half time. However, they have lost the last 7 when they have been behind at half time.
- Taylor Regan and Jeronimo Neumann already have 2 bookings this season.
- In Wellington, the Jets have only scored 3 times in the first half and scored 7 goals there in total. The Phoenix, however have scored an average of 2 goals against us per game.
- Vince Lia and Manny Muscat are the players who have received the most yellow cards in this fixture with 5.
- The Phoenix player who has scored the most A-League goals against the Jets is Jeremy Brockie with 5.
THE REFEREE: – Chris Beath
- The Jets W-D-L record under Beath is 5-5-12. When he has referred Jet v Wellington it is 1-0-3, in Wellington it is 0-0-2
- An opposition player has never been dismissed by Beath referring a Jets match.
- Beath is rather consistent with handing out cards, with a total of 46 issued to jets players and 43 to opposition players in 22 matches.
- Beath isn’t one for giving the Jets penalties. The Jets have only ever been awarded 1 by Beath. He has awarded 3 by the opposition.
- The Jets have previously had a streak of 13 matches without a win under Beath. We have, however, won 2 of our last 3 matches he has officiated.
Jets v Phoenix Trivia:
1. Five ex-Jets players have scored for the Phoenix in the fixture. Who are they?
2. Who are the four Jets players who scored their only goals for the club against Wellington?
3. Who has scored the fastest goal in this fixture?
Please visit the forums at newcastlefootball.net to discover the answers to the trivia questions, and to participate in match discussions before, during and after the game.