Wiggins may well be hitting a peak but I wouldn't say Cadel is declining. After all he still finished 6th in the TT the other day and has been pretty solid so far in the TDF.

I also wouldn't say Fabian Cancellaras performances are declining far from it he is still a damn fine TT exponent.

This argument is about the spike in form Wiggins is showing which defies belief. Wiggins is not a phenomenen in the Tiger Woods Lionel Messi category arriving in their sport and being untouchable and the finest of their generation. Wiggins isn't that good.

As it stands he will most likely win this race and win it convincingly. The bit about winning it convincingly is the concerning part. If Cadel came out and won this thing convincingly questions would be asked as he is good but not head and shoulders good.

Also remember that if Wiggo does win the TDF he will achieve a sequence of wins that no other cyclist has ever achieved and that includes all the greats and all the greats on drugs.

Paris-Nice
Tour De Romandie
Dauphine
TDF
Have never been won in the same year by one rider.

Usually because form is impossible to carry through this length of time.

This is Wiggos 11th Grand tour so he has been around the block before. He has had a 3rd and a 4th and every other finish has been below 20th spot so it is not as if he has been banging on the door loudly

Compare this to Cadel whom is in his 13th Grand Tour and has finished all 12 started prior with 8 top 10's and 7 of those in the top 5

I can believe that Wiggo may be the better man for a Tour, I can believe that in time Wiggo may be revered as a better cyclist than Cadel. I struggle to believe how and why he is superior at this event to the extent he is. After all Cadel has been beating him regularly over previous years and now all of a sudden Wiggo is better and better by such a margin when most would consider Cadel still at the top of his game