Thread: 2019 FFA Cup Qtr Final | Adelaide United v Newcastle Jets | Tue 17th Sept 2019 1930

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I am distressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Couscous View Post
    I am distressed.
    How about this comment from Ernie about who we have that can fill the creative role -
    Merrick said there were "a number of players" Newcastle could slot into their forward line, including Angus Thurgate, Jason Hoffman and Kaine Sheppard, starting with Saturday's trial match against Sydney in Dubbo.
    Kill me now.

Quote Originally Posted by russjaybee View Post
    How about this comment from Ernie about who we have that can fill the creative role -
    He actually said they could fill in a front 3, because we can't replace Wes and so we'd look to move back to a 4-3-3 formation instead of playing two 10's. Literally the three paragraph's above your extract.

In his absence, Merrick said Newcastle would probably opt for a three-man strike force, instead of playing with two No.10s, as they have so far this pre-season.

"He's a bit special as a player, especially as a creative player," Merrick said.

"I'm not sure that we've got anyone that creative, but we've certainly got goalscorers up front that can play that role. It just means a slight change to the system that we're playing."
    Last edited by Jeterpool; 20-09-2019 at 01:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    He actually said they could fill in a front 3, because we can't replace Wes and so we'd look to move back to a 4-3-3 formation instead of playing two 10's. Literally the three paragraph's above your extract.
    I am a bit confused what formation he sees us having played so far.

Against Edgeworth I would claim it was a front three with Wessi in behind as the lone 10, just that one of the front three was Dimi whom is naturally less wide than a normal right sided front three player. Unless he saw us playing two number 10s, no right sided forward, and Fitz either the second striker or an asymmetrical formation that had him left wing with no right wing?

Either way, we don't have two players who are naturally number 10s in Wessi & Dimi in our starting lineup for a few months, seemingly. So Dimi will almost definitely be the 10, with probably now Hoff to fill the right mid, Fitz to stay left, Arroyo stay top.

tl;dr we've been playing however sternly structured a 4-2-3-1 and will continue to do so, it's just with Wessi gone we aren't fitting Dimi into a differently-shaped hole anymore again (same as when Vargas was here).
    OK

Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    I am a bit confused what formation he sees us having played so far.

Against Edgeworth I would claim it was a front three with Wessi in behind as the lone 10, just that one of the front three was Dimi whom is naturally less wide than a normal right sided front three player. Unless he saw us playing two number 10s, no right sided forward, and Fitz either the second striker or an asymmetrical formation that had him left wing with no right wing?

Either way, we don't have two players who are naturally number 10s in Wessi & Dimi in our starting lineup for a few months, seemingly. So Dimi will almost definitely be the 10, with probably now Hoff to fill the right mid, Fitz to stay left, Arroyo stay top.

tl;dr we've been playing however sternly structured a 4-2-3-1 and will continue to do so, it's just with Wessi gone we aren't fitting Dimi into a differently-shaped hole anymore again (same as when Vargas was here).
    I saw us playing 4-2-2-2, with the fullbacks providing the width against Edgy.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

I saw us playing 4-2-2-2, with the fullbacks providing the width against Edgy.
    Interesting. Who was the second striker in that perceived lineup? Millar got forward way more than Hoff so was Dimi the second striker?
    OK

Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    Interesting. Who was the second striker in that perceived lineup? Millar got forward way more than Hoff so was Dimi the second striker?
    Fitzy

Haha fair call, I have become what I hated, a reactionary spreader of misinformation.
    I am ashamed.

Not that this fills me with much more hope ... ! Which is good I guess, because it's the hope that gets you in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by russjaybee View Post

Kill me now.
    Yep pauper budget = no depth