Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: 2024 Premier Youth Leagues

Hopefully those club championship tables will be meaningful soon. Some have only played twice.

That's true there is a variation in number of games played (wish I could add the spreadsheet)...would make it easier

So, so in fairness

DIV2 (MP)
    Cessnock (24)
    NIAS, Charlestown (23)
    Toronto (20)
    West Wallsend (19)
    Rosebuds, Singleton (17)
    South Cardiff, Thornton (15)
    Belswans (14)
    Kahibah (13)

DIV1 (MP)
    NCF (30)
    Weston (25)
    Lake Macquarie (22)
    Olympic, Cooks Hill (21)
    Magic, Maitland (20)
    New Lambton, Jaffas, Mid Coast (18)
    Valentine (17)
    Edgeworth (16)

Update for Div1 (will wait for some more games for Div 2)

1. NCF (81pts) MP: 40
    2. Jaffas (59pts) MP: 28
    3. Olympic (52pts) MP: 26
    4. Magic (50pts) MP: 27
    5. Edgeworth (48pts) MP: 26
    6. Lake Macquarie (39pts) MP: 27
    7. Maitland (38pts) MP: 29
    8. Valentine (38pts) MP: 27
    9. Weston (30pts) MP: 28
    10. Mid Coast (19pts) MP: 22
    11. New Lambton (14pts) MP: 20
    12. Cooks Hill (4pts) MP: 28

Quote Originally Posted by WOW2.0;273***
    Update for Div1 (will wait for some more games for Div 2)

1. NCF (81pts) MP: 40
    2. Jaffas (59pts) MP: 28
    3. Olympic (52pts) MP: 26
    4. Magic (50pts) MP: 27
    5. Edgeworth (48pts) MP: 26
    6. Lake Macquarie (39pts) MP: 27
    7. Maitland (38pts) MP: 29
    8. Valentine (38pts) MP: 27
    9. Weston (30pts) MP: 28
    10. Mid Coast (19pts) MP: 22
    11. New Lambton (14pts) MP: 20
    12. Cooks Hill (4pts) MP: 28
    Does that include last weekend?

Everything that was entered into Squadi by late afternoon on Monday

The number of Matches Played (MP) I hope contextualises the positions

(The supporting spreadsheet does capture more than this snapshot...but can't post that here)

Div 1:

1. NCF (87Pts) ? 45MP
    2. Edgeworth (67Pts) ? 34MP
    3. Olympic (64Pts) ? 32MP
    4. Magic (63Pts) ? 33MP
    5. Jaffas (62Pts) ? 32MP
    6. Valentine (51Pts) ? 33MP
    7. Maitland (46Pts) ? 38MP
    8. Lake Macquarie (42Pts) ? 31MP
    9. Weston (39Pts) ? 32MP
    10. Mid Coast (22Pts) ? 27MP
    11. New Lambton (15Pts) ? 25MP
    12. Cooks Hill (12Pts) ? 35MP

(Thought bubble - as has been suggested lately that 18s should not be in PYLB, if so how would club championship stack up)
    1. NCF (65Pts)
    2. Olympic (54Pts)
    3. Magic (53Pts)
    4. Jaffas (50Pts)
    5. Edgeworth (45Pts)
    6. Valentine (43Pts)
    7. Lake Macquarie (38Pts)
    8. Weston (33Pts)
    9. Maitland (31Pts)
    10. Mid Coast (20Pts)
    11. New Lambton (12Pts)
    12. Cooks Hill (8Pts)

- - -
    As at today:
    Relegated Weston, Mid Coast, New Lambton and Cooks Hill

Losers of club based relegation would be:
    Weston U14s currently in 7th
    Weston U15s currently in 2nd
    Weston U18s currently 8th

Mid Coast U16s currently 3rd

*Magic Vs Lakes game missing in 16s (Squadi didn't have those updated at the time)

Div 2:

1. Charlestown (76Pts) ? 32MP
    2. NIAS (64Pts) ? 30MP
    3. South Cardiff (56Pts) ? 29MP
    4. West Wallsend (51Pts) ? 32MP
    5. Rosebuds (41Pts) ? 22MP
    6. Belswans (40Pts) ? 24MP
    7. Cessnock (34Pts) ? 34MP
    8. Kahibah (28Pts) ? 23MP
    9. Thornton (18Pts) ? 27MP
    10. Toronto (17Pts) ? 29MP
    11. Singleton (16Pts) ? 28MP

(Club Championship without 18s)
    1. NIAS (64Pts)
    2. Charlestown (60Pts)
    3. South Cardiff (47Pts)
    4. West Wallsend (39Pts)
    5. Belswans (32Pts)
    6. Rosebuds (32Pts)
    7. Cessnock (27pts)
    8. Kahibah (25Pts)
    9. Toronto (17Pts)
    10. Singleton (12Pts)
    11. Thornton (11Pts)

Promotion candidates (Believe is top 4)
    Charlestown, NIAS, South Cardiff, West Wallsend

Club relegation losers: (those teams in top 4 of age, but relegated based on club Championship status)
    Rosebuds U16s currently 3rd
    Rosebuds U18s currently 4th

Belswans U16s currently 4th

Kahibah U14s currently 3rd
    Kahibah U15s currently 4th

Toronto U13s currently 4th

Quote Originally Posted by WOW2.0 View Post
    Div 1:

1. NCF (87Pts) ? 45MP
    4. Magic (63Pts) ? 33MP
    5. Jaffas (62Pts) ? 32MP
    9. Weston (39Pts) ? 32MP

(Thought bubble - as has been suggested lately that 18s should not be in PYLB, if so how would club championship stack up)
    1. NCF (65Pts)
    2. Olympic (54Pts)
    3. Magic (53Pts)
    4. Jaffas (50Pts)
    5. Edgeworth (45Pts)
    6. Valentine (43Pts)
    7. Lake Macquarie (38Pts)
    8. Weston (33Pts)
    9. Maitland (31Pts)
    10. Mid Coast (20Pts)
    11. New Lambton (12Pts)
    12. Cooks Hill (8Pts)

- - -
    As at today:
    Relegated Weston, Mid Coast, New Lambton and Cooks Hill

*Magic Vs Lakes game missing in 16s (Squadi didn't have those updated at the time)
    Magic won 3 zip

So many catch up games for the bulk of both divisions. I cannot see how they can be caught up before the end of June, especially with it looking like we are getting more rain coming in this weekend.

Div 1:

1. NCF (87Pts) ? 45MP
    4. Magic (63Pts) ? 33MP
    5. Jaffas (62Pts) ? 32MP
    9. Weston (39Pts) ? 32MP

Thanks for the update.From what I have seen this year it wouldnt surprise if Maitland or Weston are the 4th team down and Belswans takes the final spot to stay in Div 2.Across the board that would be a pretty fair 2nd half of the season.From memory last year a couple of the hard done by teams that ended up in Div 2 although being good in Div 1 didnt even make their grand finals.Some strong results from Adamstown in the last few weeks might make it very interesting if they scrape in by 3 points or less.

Quote Originally Posted by matjpacker View Post
    So many catch up games for the bulk of both divisions. I cannot see how they can be caught up before the end of June, especially with it looking like we are getting more rain coming in this weekend.
    Does anyone know if there are spare weekends set aside to play the last of the final catchups before switching into 3 divisions?I havent seen any set date that the 2nd half starts.As you said,lots of mid week games which is not only tough on players but referee availability as well.

Quote Originally Posted by sapdad View Post
    From memory last year a couple of the hard done by teams that ended up in Div 2 although being good in Div 1 didnt even make their grand finals.
    I don't recall who was in the GFs last year TBF (so may, may not have)

From what I did see, from being in a club that was relegated, it's almost as if every bit of motivation and drive out of the 'high' performing team just evaporates after mid season relegation. (politics and the blame game starts to rear it's head too...even before the split)

It would really would be better, fairer and more legitimate if it was done via team, and not club championship. (CC just protects bigger clubs, and does not ensure tough games for anyone really.)

Even so, it would be better to have the entire season played out in the division you qualified for...so,

1) You're not paying tier 1 fees for 2nd div football (or tier 2 fees for tier 3)
    2) Everyone knows what they are signing up for
    3) Let's you reverse some of the 'unlucky' results you might have had, and to overcome a "slow start"
    4) The chance to properly measure progress through the year

It would really would be better, fairer and more legitimate if it was done via team, and not club championship. (CC just protects bigger clubs, and does not ensure tough games for anyone really.)

Even so, it would be better to have the entire season played out in the division you qualified for...so,

1) You're not paying tier 1 fees for 2nd div football (or tier 2 fees for tier 3)
    2) Everyone knows what they are signing up for
    3) Let's you reverse some of the 'unlucky' results you might have had, and to overcome a "slow start"
    4) The chance to properly measure progress through the year
    A couple of things here.
    I agree that team by team would be better, but the logistics would be very difficult. Some teams could feasibly never (or rarely) get a home game and the opportunity to play up younger players could be lost as age groups play at different grounds.

There are no tier 1,2 or 3 fees. Comp fees etc are the same for every club. There may be some variance in ground charges, or power bills etc, but the main reason why your tier one club is more expensive is that the extra money goes into non PYL activities. Every club provides similar clothing packages, training equipment, refereeing costs are the same etc, etc. The fact that some PYL clubs charge less than $1,000 and other over $2,000 comes down simply to the money being directed into non PYL areas. All fees should be published by NNSWF, but they are unwilling to do so.

Personally, like WOW, I'd like to see it team by team. I'd also like to see the three groups being the whole season based on the previous year's table. These first 11 games can become nothing but trial games for the clubs going into groups 2 and 3 once it is established which clubs will be which groups. Their points don't carry forward. Last year, those going into group 3 were known after about 5 games. The part of the season that "counts" as far as the players are concerned is the last round which is only 1 round. Why not play in groups A,B and C all season, play 3 rounds with finals, and promotion to the top 2/3 or 4 and relegation to the bottom 2/3 or 4. All games have meaning, all of season effort is rewarded and clubs that want it, can seek promotion.
    "It is not that I am afraid to die; its just that I don't want to be there when it happens" - Woody Allen

Jaffas youth struggling since they've played some higher clubs.

The Hartley effect has worn off and some teams with good players are playing some pathetic football.

Routed by Magic and Edgeworth in last 2 weeks. They go ok v Weston but im calling them on the downhill.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Jaffas youth struggling since they've played some higher clubs.

The Hartley effect has worn off and some teams with good players are playing some pathetic football.

Routed by Magic and Edgeworth in last 2 weeks. They go ok v Weston but im calling them on the downhill.
    Wow, its kids football remember, parents trying to be relevant amaze me

Just to clarify for Hunter

"There are no tier 1,2 or 3 fees. Comp fees etc are the same for every club."

I didn't mean the FFA, NNSW fees with my comment, I meant what the clubs are charging...i.e. paying $1800-2000 at the start of the year, assuming you are getting Tier 1, then playing half the season in Tier 2 when those clubs are charging half the price or less

Most parents wouldn't be looking at this fee as going to other items at a club, but as covering a certain level of football

The way the tiers are going to work out for the 2nd half of the season there is literally one club across the whole program that could be considered a surprise.If parents expected,or were sold on a different outcome for the other 21 clubs then thats on them.I am genuinely shocked there are that many people that are against the new system where it is only in its second year.Lets at least give it 5-10 years can we?

Most parents wouldn't be looking at this fee as going to other items at a club, but as covering a certain level of football
    And that's the koolaid they swallow. There are good and bad coaches at each level. I've seen some great coaches in lower levels working their butts off improving kids and doing as much or more than those coaching at the top.
    I'd argue that overall, there is sweet f a difference between what a kid at a group a club gets over a kid at group c in terms of effort, commitment and coaching knowledge. Great PR work and the parental dream that their kid will play first grade NPL if they play their youth football at that club.

Tell 'em they're dreamin'

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter403 View Post
    And that's the koolaid they swallow. There are good and bad coaches at each level. I've seen some great coaches in lower levels working their butts off improving kids and doing as much or more than those coaching at the top.
    I'd argue that overall, there is sweet f a difference between what a kid at a group a club gets over a kid at group c in terms of effort, commitment and coaching knowledge. Great PR work and the parental dream that their kid will play first grade NPL if they play their youth football at that club.

100% correct

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter403 View Post

Having done both and played in Sydney it can be vastly different. You also have to deal with the attitudes of the other young people your kid is playing with, and that commitment varies wildly which does impact both games and training. It doesn't matter how hard you train if the team you are with can't string together three passes in a row at training under pressure from team mates who aren't out to try and take your head off like I've seen at some youth games lately.

Have a chat with a player that's been at the bottom of NPL in Newcastle, to the top, then to Sydney and then been overseas with players who play in NPL (div 1) in Sydney and then again against those players in Europe who are being paid to play under 17s football - yes they are paid to go to those tournaments we pay to send kids to. The ball speed and movement from the bottom of NPL in Newcastle to the better players in Sydney to those in Europe is a solar system apart, and failing to acknowledge that does nothing to improve the game in Newcastle.