PDA

View Full Version : Daily Australian News Thread 2013

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12

Pico
19-08-2013, 12:05 AM
off season would not be complete without a herald article based off Bridges twitter feed about jets preseason.

GazFish35
19-08-2013, 07:40 AM
did he complain about the beds?

19-08-2013, 08:18 AM
You could imagine them being a bit filthy at being flogged for a couple of days by a PTI.

Like the rest of us i bet Mitchell and Neville were wishing they were still West and getting into the pole dancing lessons.

Jetmaster
19-08-2013, 08:55 AM
Hey, at least they would have faced reality...

"You are nothing but a low, untalented, worthless piece of flotsam Neville - what are you ??"

"A low, untalented, worthless piece of flotsam sir."

"That's right - now give me 100 pushups!"

leftrightout
19-08-2013, 09:40 AM
So they can do a few days of intense boot camp style millitary training but they can only manage 60 minute matches because they don't want to burn out?

Jeterpool
19-08-2013, 11:10 AM
Nathan Burns has arrived in Newcastle 2 weeks early.

Can only see this as a good thing for team dynamics and preparation for the season.

belchardo
19-08-2013, 11:20 AM
did he complain about the beds?

cor, give him a chance. they only arrive in Canberra today.

Pico
19-08-2013, 12:46 PM
Nathan Burns turns up early for loan spell with Newcastle Jets

Barry Toohey
The Daily Telegraph
August 19, 2013 12:00AM

http://resources1.news.com.au/images/2013/08/18/1226699/508733-nathan-burns.jpg
Nathan Burns is back in Australia and keen to get started with the Newcastle Jets. Picture: Liam Driver Source: DailyTelegraph

FRINGE Socceroo Nathan Burns has arrived in Newcastle a few weeks ahead of schedule and says he is excited about the prospect of forming a lethal attacking partnership with Jets marquee striker Emile Heskey in the A-League.

And while he claims World Cup selection next year would be the ‘’icing on the cake”, Burns maintains his only real focus right now is getting back on the field, playing some good football for his new club and re-establishing his career.

Ahead of his first training session with the Jets today, Burns told The Daily Telegraph he is keen to make the most of his latest opportunity.

“I’m excited to be back in Australia and really looking forward to meeting all the boys and getting stuck in,’’Burns said.

“I’ve been overseas now for nearly six years. The timing was right to come back, regroup and go from there. I’m just looking forward to the challenge.’’

Currently contracted to Korean club Incheon United, Burns’ opportunities in the K-League have been restricted to just three appearances since he signed in early 2012 because of injury and a change of coach.

“I signed a three year deal but two months into that contract, the coach that brought me there (Huh Jung-Moo) got fired,”Burns said.

“Then I was out for nearly six months with a knee injury and while I’ve been back for the past six months, it’s been difficult to get back in the team.

“They’ve been winning and the coach hasn’t wanted to change too much so my opportunity just hasn’t come. I wasn’t getting any match time which is why I was keen to play here.’’

Burns’ motives for an A-League return can’t be questioned.

It was he who instigated talks with the Jets after the club had shown interest in him in the past and he has taken a financial hit to ensure his Korean club were well compensated in exchange for agreeing to release him on loan.

“I didn’t go into discussions with other teams,” Burns says.

“I just focused on making this happen. We didn’t want to get into a bidding war and get other teams involved because the loan deal would never have happened. I just wanted to keep it simple and low key and make it happen.

“At the end of the day, the most important thing for me right now is to play.

“There is no point just sitting over there taking the money and not playing. The club was good, they’ve treated me well but I wasn’t happy because I wasn’t playing.

“The loan deal runs out in mid February so I’ll play 14 or 15 games here before being due to go back to Korea. But we’ll see what happens then. At the moment, I’m just going to take it a game at a time and try my very best for the Jets.’’

Burns’ career has taken him from the small Central Western country town of Blayney where he grew up to Sydney, where he moved when he was 14, leaving family and friends behind to attend the NSWIS.

He was a rising star by the time he attended the AIS in 2006 before linking with Adelaide in the A-League for two seasons as a teenager, scoring nine goals in 31 appearances including the Reds first hattrick.

It was from there he caught the eye of Greek powerhouse AEK Athens, with his four year stint co-inciding with seven appearances for the Socceroos.

“When I left to go overseas, I left at the right time,”Burns says.

“I played Europa League, I played with great players and my game improved as a result. I’m proud of what I achieved over there to be honest and don’t have any regrets leaving when I did.

“But you get different experiences wherever you play and the A-League is a lot different now – a lot stronger than when I left Adelaide.”

On the opportunity to play alongside the likes of Heskey, Michael Bridges and some of the best crop of young players in Australia, Burns doesn’t hide his excitement.

“Playing with Emile Heskey – it’s unbelieveable,”Burns says.

“I looked up to him because I’m a Liverpool fan. It will be awesome.

“Just the opportunity to play with him and learn from him. He’s so experienced. His resume speaks for itself and Michael Bridges is the same.

“I haven’t met them yet but I’m told they are really good guys and really professional. It should be great.”

On his prospects of World Cup selection next year, Burns says: “We’ll see but it’s going to come down to really playing well for the Jets.

“If I focus on the Jets and play really good, hopefully I can select myself for another opportunity with the Socceroos.

“Brazil seems so close now but it’s still 10 months away and that’s a long time in football.

“There is probably only one or two players that are guaranteed of selection.

“It’s going to come down to who is in the best form at the right time. ’’

I guess the Herald's invite to the photo shoot must have got lost in the mail.

Solid bit of work there by middleby to get a player to pay his own loan fee.

q-money
19-08-2013, 01:09 PM
wonder what the member has to say about this

belchardo
19-08-2013, 01:37 PM
wonder what the member has to say about this

suspect he'll swear a lot and finish with "MIDDLEBY OUT"

Premy
19-08-2013, 01:39 PM
Burns says loan deal runs out in mid February.
Jets says loan deal runs out in January.
Whose right?

Pico
19-08-2013, 02:54 PM
Burns says loan deal runs out in mid February.
Jets says loan deal runs out in January.
Whose right?

my money would be on the guy who instigated, pushed through negotiations and paid the loan fee, so burns of course.

MFKS
19-08-2013, 04:32 PM
I guess the Herald's invite to the photo shoot must have got lost in the mail.

Solid bit of work there by middleby to get a player to pay his own loan fee.

Middleby achieved what here???

Apparently Burns done it all according to Burns.

Reading between the lines it would seem that Burns has taken a pay cut to come to Newy and his Korean club may have got a few bucks from the Jets to facilitate the loan which would mean Middleby's contribution was actually two thirds of **** all

On another note I will offer some praise to the person at jets HQ responsible for this military boot camp junket they went on.:cool:

Whoever is responsible for that needs congratulating as we as a club and a team need to HARDEN THE **** UP and stop being so ****ing soft. This pansy arse attitude we have needs go and we need to be more hardline and ruthless

If we make 7th spot this year this Boot Camp will be the key.

Hopefully next year we do 3 months off it and we go all the way as we come back lean mean arse kicking machines

furns
19-08-2013, 05:17 PM
suspect he'll swear a lot and finish with "MIDDLEBY OUT"
close enough

plague
19-08-2013, 05:21 PM
yerrrrrr.
more boot camps.
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSBHZqMEFfiewQB67vLz7h7Ft8PSXm2l LEKc4T0a2P6jKbqix3b

plague
19-08-2013, 05:22 PM
Middleby achieved what here???

He signed a player*.

*yeah yeah i ****ing know, but still, he signed someone.

MFKS
20-08-2013, 10:44 AM
THE name may be different but the traffic remains.

The "F3" is no more, with the freeway between Beresfield and Sydney officially renamed as part of the M1 Pacific Motorway yesterday.

It forms part of the state government's roll out of an alphanumeric system to tell motorists whether they are travelling on a motorway (M), route of national (A) or state significance (B).

The switch is to make road names consistent with those in Queensland and Victoria, but comes at a cost of at least $15 million

An RMS spokeswoman said the motorists would notice new signs being revealed that display the new name.

"Work to update routes across the state started in May this year and is expected to be complete by the end of this year," she said.

"Electronic signs will remain in place for several weeks to advise motorists and help them transition to the new alphanumeric road numbering system and road names."

NRMA Hunter director Kyle Loades said road users would need to familiarise themselves with the new names but that the changes made sense.

"The NRMA does endorse it because it will make it easier for motorists not only across the state but Australia," he said.

The opposition has described the change as a waste of money .

During budget estimates last week, Roads Minister Duncan Gay struggled to supply on the spot some of the new names, but said the government had reduced the costs from the original estimate of $20 million

Labor said it showed motorists would struggle.

So we are now having the M1 Pacific Motorway Derby against the Gypo Scum

Premy
20-08-2013, 11:10 AM
So we are now having the M1 Pacific Motorway Derby against the Gypo Scum

Just seen that myself surely someone can now come up with a better name for this derby. I liked "the F3 derby" but the "M1 pacific motorway derby" no thanks. Pretty sure Brisbane V Gold Coast was called the M1 derby so that's out of the question

russjaybee
20-08-2013, 11:18 AM
Just keep calling it the F3 derby ffs

Thomas477
20-08-2013, 11:31 AM

This.

The M1 was the Roar-Fold Coast Derby.

boz-monaut
20-08-2013, 11:38 AM
The Sydney Newcastle Freeway hasn't officially been designated as the F3 since the 1980s

De-Champ
20-08-2013, 05:03 PM
As a compromise call it the M1F3 derby

Rocknerd
20-08-2013, 05:35 PM
Just because the State government change it doesn't mean we have to. It'll be one of those things that goes down in history passed from old to new supporter or some shit.

F3Derby will remain unchanged.

Captain Obvious
20-08-2013, 05:49 PM

Hi.

Rocknerd
20-08-2013, 05:52 PM
Hi.

389 is this you?

hausmann
20-08-2013, 06:22 PM
Has the "derby" between WSW and the Jets been named? We use the same freeway. Maybe call it the M1 derby and leave the Sydney FC v Jets one the F3 derby in recognition of the fact that the derbies started when these roads were called these different names.

Sorted.

My2BobsWorth
20-08-2013, 06:36 PM
Need to Google more haus

hausmann
20-08-2013, 06:40 PM
I do my fair share of googling thanks.

My2BobsWorth
20-08-2013, 06:48 PM
but...but...

GazFish35
20-08-2013, 07:05 PM
Too many derbys that aren't real derby's.

Really only three in the league, Melbourne's, Sydney's and newy/ccm...... And even ours is a bit of stretch.

If its to keep the derBy moniker fox were tarting to label "the original" derby,but there's no real need to change it anyway.

My2BobsWorth
20-08-2013, 08:30 PM
Note my amicable approach to the new member everyone, save the good stuff for the anti Bridgey lot

Jeterpool
20-08-2013, 08:40 PM
Note my amicable approach to the new member everyone, save the good stuff for the anti Bridgey lot

Lol.

But yes. You're on your best behaviour. Gold star stuff

parksey
20-08-2013, 11:50 PM
Everyone else seems to call it the bogan derby so maybe we should just embrace that moniker

Pico
21-08-2013, 08:48 AM
Zane looks for end to Socceroos drought
By JAMES GARDINER
Aug. 20, 2013, 10:24 p.m.

CLAYTON Zane cannot believe it has been 12 years.

Football Federation Australia announced yesterday that the Socceroos will take on France in a friendly at the Parc des Princes in Paris on October 11.

Zane was front and centre when Australia last took on the might of the Les Bleus in a competitive match, defeating them 1-0 at the 2001 Confederations Cup in Korea. They drew 1-1 in a friendly later that year in Melbourne.

Zane, then 24 and plying his trade in Norway, scored the winner in the famous victory over the reigning world champions in Daegu.

The former Newcastle Breaker was first to react when French keeper Gregory Coupet turned a fierce Josip Skoko free kick onto the post and slotted home a low left-foot drive.

"It was definitely the highlight of my career," Zane said.

"They were such a dominant force at the time. They were missing a few players, but Frank Lebouef, Robert Pires, Olivier Dacourt and Sylvain Wiltord were there.

"It was big news when it happened."

The game - and the goal - was the launching pad for Zane, who was playing at Lillestrom.

"The phone didn't stop," he said. "That is the way football works. When something like that happens, the amount of calls you get from agents and interest from clubs.

"After that Chievo, Werder Bremen and Anderlecht were the three clubs that straight away, just from that one goal, showed an interest.

"The three clubs continued to monitor me, and a few months later I was sold to Anderlecht."

The Belgium giants paid $5.2 million for Zane.

"It was all on the back of a good year in Norway," he said.

"The confidence I gained from the Confederations Cup and that goal. I ended up being the leading goal scorer and player of the year. It was the best year of my career."

Zane played 14 times for the national team before his career was cruelled by a serious knee injury in 2002, which eventually led to his retirement.

Richie Johnson, Jets chief executive Robbie Middleby and Troy Halpin were in the national team mix at a similar time. Middleby's last cap was in July 2002 against New Zealand.

Since then the cupboard has been bare.

A number of players have represented the Socceroos from Newcastle United and the Jets, but none have been Hunter products.

Jade North, who was born in Taree, is the closest.

Ben Kantarovski and most recently Andrew Hoole have been in the Socceroos squad but are yet to earn a cap. It's a statistic that Zane, who is the Jets' youth team coach, is confident will be corrected soon.

"I'm hoping through the Emerging Jets we will have a lot more Socceroos coming through," he said.

"Obviously there is Kanta and Hooley. Young Brandon Lundy is another. He has a lot of potential, but potential is not enough."

Kantarovski and Hoole are contracted to the Jets. Lundy is 17 and has started training with the senior squad.

It is the younger age groups where Zane believes the attention is needed.

"With the formation of the Emerging Jets program, the system is in place now," Zane said. "Funding is essential. It is really important that the kids get access to resources and an opportunity to play in Sydney against better opposition. Just having it locked into Newcastle is not going to be enough.

"The technical side has to improve and also the frequency of training. I ask around what certain ages are doing and it is not enough.

"When I was younger, every day I had a ball at my feet. Even if it was without a coach, you can never have enough touches on the ball. Now that that system is in place, the frequency should be there.

"They should be training three to four times a week."

Hoole and Kantarovski are expected to start in the Jets' trial against the Canberra All Stars in the capital tonight.

On Saturday they will back up against Wellington Phoenix at Weston, where striker Nathan Burns will make his club debut.

www.theherald.com.au/story/1719341/zane-looks-for-end-to-socceroos-drought/?cs=306

Hopefully the Emerging Jets does produce some stars but its going to need patience.

Pico
21-08-2013, 08:53 AM
Frustration grows in wait for NNSW headquarters funds
By CRAIG KERRY
Aug. 20, 2013, 10:28 p.m.

IT will be a year tomorrow since Northern NSW Football lodged its submission for $7.3 million in state government funding to help build its proposed headquarters at Speers Point Park.

But still we wait.

Adding to NNSWF's frustrations, the Central Coast Mariners scored a $10 million federal government grant for an indigenous program and improved training facilities last week.

A week earlier, Illawarra secured $7.4 million in federal funds to build their home of football.

"The announcements out of the Central Coast and Illawarra are certainly frustrating, to say the least," NNSWF chief David Eland said.

It would take about a year to build the $11.3 million facility, he said, and NNSWF had lodged a review of environmental factors with Lake Macquarie Council in the hope of starting work quickly after a funding green light.

He hopes to have the headquarters built to host the International Children's Games in December next year and an Asian Cup team in January 2015.

■ Weston football manager Shane Johnson said it was full steam ahead for his club's hosting of the Jets-Wellington trial on Saturday despite a clash with their side's minor semi-final at Darling St Oval.

The Bears play Hamilton in the knock-out from 3pm and the Jets kick off against Phoenix at Weston Park at 4.30pm. Johnson said his club, the Jets and NNSWF wanted the trial kick-off pushed back to avoid clashes but Wellington wanted the timeslot.

"It was all to do with Wellington getting back out of the country on a very early morning flight out of Sydney," Johnson said.

Money raised from hosting two earlier Jets trials was used to make Weston Park fully irrigated, he said.

Parents from the club's under 14s, 15s, 16s and 17s had volunteered to help run game day at Weston.

www.theherald.com.au/story/1719368/frustration-grows-in-wait-for-nnsw-headquarters-funds/?cs=306

Good to see the private backed tax dodgers have been given more government money, while community organisations are given the cold shoulder.

Fully expect NNSW to get nothing from either level of government or political party, meanwhile the WSW go overseas on Federal funds, Western Sydney is now classed as regional & the majority of funds from selling our local assets like the port get funnelled back to Macquarie street.

21-08-2013, 09:14 AM
Don't want to make this a political thread however here is some contact details. Let them know this is unnaceptable. Too late to lean on federal candidates i suspect but let these guys know selling our assets and leaving us with nothing to show for it is nothing short of thieving from us .

Gary Edwards : swansea@parliament.nsw.gov.au

Tim Owen : newcastle@parliament.nsw.gov.au

Andrew Cornwell : charlestown@parliament.nsw.gov.au

Zico
21-08-2013, 12:24 PM
Good to see the private backed tax dodgers have been given more government money, while community organisations are given the cold shoulder.

Fully expect NNSW to get nothing from either level of government or political party, meanwhile the WSW go overseas on Federal funds, Western Sydney is now classed as regional & the majority of funds from selling our local assets like the port get funnelled back to Macquarie street.
Everything about that article has pissed me off. Firstly the government and then the poor attitude by the Kiwi's. Surely 2 hours or atleast an hour and a half isn't going to hurt the bastards. Poor form from both in my opinion.

MFKS
21-08-2013, 12:43 PM
Everything about that article has pissed me off. Firstly the government and then the poor attitude by the Kiwi's. Surely 2 hours or atleast an hour and a half isn't going to hurt the bastards. Poor form from both in my opinion.

Different code but the Broncos just got a couple of million for their training facilities thanks to the Liberal party in Qld and Abbott. Everyone else gets cash and the CEO of Jets asks for nothing:sparring:

steve136
21-08-2013, 11:23 PM

Good. New forum members are friends, not food.

plague
21-08-2013, 11:26 PM
PHIL Gould and his Penrith Panthers have failed in a secret bid to buy A-League super club, the Western Sydney Wanderers.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal the Panthers recently lodged an expression of interest with UBS, the global financial services firm in charge of selling the club for up to $15 million.

A-League boss David Gallop immediately rejected the Panthers' interest, shutting down the potential for more conflict with his old rugby league arch-rival.

"Why would we contemplate selling the Wanderers to a club from another code?" Gallop said Wednesday night.

"And while we are posing these questions, why would a club from another code want to invest their money and build up a rival?"

Being the face of rugby league in Sydney's West, Gould and his venture into enemy ranks will stun NRL bosses and diehard footy fans in the code's heartland.

League, soccer and AFL are involved in a fierce rivalry in the western Suburbs in junior development.

"Personally I can't believe soccer was silly enough to say no to us," said Panthers supremo Warren Wilson, who confirmed the club's interest.

"They should have at least let us in the door and put a price on the table. We might have been the biggest bidder yet they've shut it down."

But Gallop is firm in his view that the Panthers have no right to be involved with Australia's hottest sporting franchise, currently owned by FFA.

The company UBS was appointed to appraise the market and potential buyers in Australia, Asia and Europe for last year's grand finalists.

A 50-page information document, titled Project Ono, was developed to provide prospective buyers with full insight of WSW financials, business plans, membership, sponsorship, playing roster and community engagement plans.

For prospective buyers to receive the document, FFA needed to approve its release and have interested parties sign a confidentiality deed.

Gallop refused to pass it on to the Panthers.

"The Wanderers sales process needs to not only achieve the right price, but the right owners," Gallop said.

"The community engagement remains a fundamental element of the club and we have given assurances to the fans that the name, colours and culture of the Wanderers will be protected in this process.

"We have to make decisions in the best interests of Australian football, the A-League competition and the Wanderers.

"We won't contemplate a sale to anyone who we believe can't align the community interests with the business interests."

Not that the Panthers would have been the first NRL club to dabble into the round ball game.

The Newcastle Knights and the Jets are a joint venture under the ownership of Nathan Tinkler. The Eels also once owned Parramatta Power in the National Soccer League.

Wilson says the Panthers were disappointed to be rejected without getting to a bidding stage.

"The simple scenario is that the Panthers Group is running a business and we look at all opportunities," he said.

"We're the tenant of a football field that gets used 12 times a year. If I could get it used 24 times a year, it's a more logical proposition to us."

Wilson insists the Panthers could have successfully run rugby league and A-League teams without clashing.

"It's no different to us owning Panthers Leagues Club and Glenbrook Bowling Club five minutes up the road," he said.

"I just thought, there's a business, does it make sense, can I make money out of it and would it add value to all our other assets?

"This wouldn't have affected our rugby league commitment at all. If I could find a baseball team that made a good profit I'd buy them.

"If I could find an ice-cream shop, and it made sense, I'd buy it.

"Would it have made money going forward? Who knows? Unfortunately I wasn't afforded the opportunity to look at their financial records."

Gosh.

GazFish35
22-08-2013, 07:37 AM
Panthers are grubs. The statement about moving them to penrith is proof alone they have no idea.

boz-monaut
22-08-2013, 08:23 AM
Gallop knows what these people are like

belchardo
22-08-2013, 08:46 AM
Newcastle Jets coach Gary van Egmond admitted his side was ‘‘scrappy’’ in its comfortable 3-0 victory over the Canberra All Stars at McKellar Park on Wednesday night.

Clearly the club had one eye on this weekend’s friendly against fellow A-League club Wellington.

Regardless, van Egmond, who lived in Canberra as the AIS coach, said it was a good relationship-building exercise.

‘‘I thought we started off all right, but we became quite scrappy,’’ he said.

‘‘We’ve been working on two different types of systems and I still think they’re coming to grips with the first system. We played a 3-4-3, so they didn’t really come to grips.’’

Canberra’s wingers Alex Oloriegbe and Ivan Pavlak, along with midfielder Aaron Evans, caught van Egmond’s eye.

Evans trialled with A-League club Adelaide United recently and is in discussions for a return as he pushes for a spot in the Youth League side.

He played the second half and, while the Jets took off most of their A-League players at half-time, said it was a great experience.

‘‘It was a bit disappointing [their A-League players came off], but they’re also in their pre-season so they’ve got to get time to adapt and it’s up to the coach what he wants to do,’’ Evans said.

‘‘It was just good to be out there versing a top quality side.’’

Unfortunately, the atmosphere of the previous week was lacking, when the Western Sydney Wanderers played Canberra Olympic.

That game was a cacophony from start to finish with constant singing, drums and flares bringing the fabled Wanderers’ atmosphere to the nation’s capital.

But just 761 came on Wednesday night and barely a whisper was heard.

It looked as if it was going to turn into a rout when Jets winger Craig Goodwin waltzed through the middle of the defence to slide it past Adam Perakovic to open the scoring after just two minutes.

But, with Pavlak and Oloriegbe lively, Canberra worked its way back into the match.

The locals’ best chance of the night fell to striker Domenic Giampaolo, who picked up a loose Jets pass and unleashed a stinging shot from the top of the box. But Socceroos stopper Mark Birighitti was up to it and produced a stunning save to force the corner.

The Jets eventually doubled the lead after 39 minutes.

Jets midfielder Andrew Hoole hit the crossbar with a shot, which fell to Ruben Zadkovich and the skipper put it in the bottom corner.

Newcastle’s Rhys Cooper scored the final goal in the 63rd minute.

NEWCASTLE JETS 3 (Craig Goodwin 2’, Ruben Zadkovich 39’, Rhys Cooper 63’) bt CANBERRA ALL STARS 0.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/football/jets-take-flight-in-canberra-20130821-2sc1r.html#ixzz2cdtVBQa3

photos: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/photogallery/act-news/canberra-all-stars-v-newcastle-jets-20130821-2sbu6.html?selectedImage=0

pv4
22-08-2013, 09:36 AM
save the good stuff for the anti Bridgey lot

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQfI7950ndfIfP_sY8RHlIcL-dClPvWSbL9MCXJ5JDFR7XTNVGb0Q

Shame about the situation in Perth currently. Maybe Edwards needs someone like Bridgey there, just so at least one of his players supports him when he's clearly p*ssed off the majority of the squad

q-money
22-08-2013, 11:16 AM
ffa doing it for their boyz again, clearly good enough for newcastle to be sold to a true blue aussie rugby bloke but when it's football's heartland™ all bets are off

for shame gallop you could have secured our games™ future™

My2BobsWorth
22-08-2013, 08:28 PM
Like Germany took Poland under its' wing

Premy
23-08-2013, 01:25 AM
Stallions join race to take reins at Wanderers

by DOMINIC BOSSI - 23/08/13, 3:00 AM
0 comments Adjust font size
Former National Soccer League club Marconi Stallions are aiming to return to the top flight of Australian football and will bid for a controlling stake in the Western Sydney Wanderers.

Marconi are eager to end their nine-year hiatus from professional sport and are making an ambitious bid to purchase the licence of the flourishing club from its current owners, Football Federation Australia.

A day after it was revealed an offer from the Penrith Panthers had been knocked back by the FFA, Marconi president Vince Foti said his club will ''definitely'' join the bidding war for ownership of the Wanderers but are yet to submit their application to the governing body.

''We're certainly investigating what the possibilities could be,'' Foti said. ''We have to be looking for something like that because of our history, and we want to be back in the top league of Australia.''

Marconi was one of the many ethnic-based clubs booted out of the top tier of domestic football during the transition from the National Soccer League to the A-League in 2004. They now play in the NSW Premier League, a semi-professional competition. They were on the verge of collapse ten years ago

with debts related to their social club reportedly totalling $25 million. They recovered from their financial crisis and are now in a healthy position, enabling them to make an offer for the ownership of the Wanderers. ''The club has turned around dramatically. The debt is manageable and lower than the past. Football has matured a lot in the A-League and the game can now stand on its own two feet,'' Foti said.

Marconi's bid is yet to leave the boardroom but under the proposed offer there will be no change to the Wanderers' name, brand, identity and colours. They will likely train at Marconi Stadium in Bossley Park and play at Parramatta Stadium, if they were successful with their bid. However, Foti said there was a possibility the club could permanently move to Marconi Stadium if the venue underwent a significant redevelopment to increase the capacity and improve facilities.

''I would love to see a team like the Western Sydney Wanderers training at our fields. We would offer our stadium and an upgrade could become a possibility,'' Foti said. ''There's a lot of development around our area. It was the centre for the NSL in those days.''

Financial services company UBS was appointed to assess the value of the Wanderers and began privately seeking potential owners. UBS created a 50-page document on the club outlining their finances, membership, sponsors, staff and community engagement. It is made available to prospective buyers from the FFA once documents of interest are submitted and confidentiality agreements are signed.

Fairfax Media understands the FFA offered ownership of the Wanderers to Mounties Group before the start of last season but the organisation passed on the opportunity. The sport and social club said the asking price was out of their budget and that the club's location in Parramatta would not service their members and could, potentially, benefit rival organisations. ''They did approach us prior to joining the competition and put a proposal to us to own the team. The money was more than we wanted to spend,'' a Mounties spokesman said.

Meanwhile, Panthers chief executive Warren Wilson hit back at the refusal of FFA chief executive David Gallop to enter negotiations over the purchase of the Wanderers, a move he said was ''short-sighted''. Gallop said the FFA was not interested in selling the club to rival codes, out of respect to the football community. Wilson said the FFA had passed up an opportunity to build a strong cross-code partnership in Penrith.

''This is a big miss for soccer. We have the western Sydney sports community centre which will be built here which will be massive. We have 200 acres out here which we are developing and we are setting ourselves up as a massive sport and community franchise,'' Wilson said.

with Michael Chammas

GazFish35
23-08-2013, 08:48 AM
If an old nsl club take over watch the crowds drop.

Much of their strength off the field is that their people have no connections to the old clubs and come into grassroots clubs with no baggage.

Would be very surprised if the FFA entertain this.

belchardo
23-08-2013, 08:55 AM

Much of their strength off the field is that their people have no connections to the old clubs and come into grassroots clubs with no baggage.

all of this.

would be a massive step backwards.

q-money
23-08-2013, 09:39 AM
aren't WS a cro club anyway?

leftrightout
23-08-2013, 09:52 AM
''This is a big miss for soccer. We have the western Sydney sports community centre which will be built here which will be massive. We have 200 acres out here which we are developing and we are setting ourselves up as a massive sport and community franchise,'' Wilson said.

That comment there is reason enough not to let panthers buy them... its FOOTBALL! It isnt called the SFA its the FFA!

Local Rules
23-08-2013, 10:51 AM
That comment there is reason enough not to let panthers buy them... its FOOTBALL! It isnt called the SFA its the FFA!

Some might say the first initials you have there is what they do for the grassroots players.

hawk
23-08-2013, 10:57 AM

correct. single effnic soccer is ass aids. every club needs multis as does every foz.

furns
23-08-2013, 12:32 PM
I would bet Sth Melb come in via Heart before Marconi get hold of WSW

23-08-2013, 01:17 PM
I would bet Sth Melb come in via Heart before Marconi get hold of WSW

This for sure. At even money odds i still reckon that is a good bet.

Zico
23-08-2013, 06:12 PM
correct. single effnic soccer is ass aids. every club needs multis as does every foz.
Thank **** that Marconi don't run the League like they did back in the NSL. Certain Marconi blokes are responsible for how ****ed up the NSL was.

The Dunster
23-08-2013, 08:37 PM
It wasn't so bad back in the PSL and NSL days. While the skill of the average player appears higher now the elite players we produced in the PSL / NSL pretty much kicks seven shades of shit out of what the A-league produces.
I'm not saying that the Ethnic clubs were perfect - but they certainly brought something to the table when it came to developing players capable of playing in Europe.

GazFish35
23-08-2013, 08:41 PM
No doubt.
But they couldn't get out of there own way to run a viable professional league.
Hopefully the NPL system can be sorted to bring these clubs back into the fold.

Zico
23-08-2013, 10:22 PM
It wasn't so bad back in the PSL and NSL days. While the skill of the average player appears higher now the elite players we produced in the PSL / NSL pretty much kicks seven shades of shit out of what the A-league produces.
I'm not saying that the Ethnic clubs were perfect - but they certainly brought something to the table when it came to developing players capable of playing in Europe.
I'm reffering to the lack of leadership and self promotion on the part of the administrators of the NSL which also happened to be a large portion of Marconi people.

Jetmaster
24-08-2013, 10:14 AM
I'm reffering to the lack of leadership and self promotion on the part of the administrators of the NSL which also happened to be a large portion of Marconi people.

Labozetta - boo !

Pico
26-08-2013, 09:20 AM
Defender Kew Jaliens as Jets' on-field general
By JAMES GARDINER
Aug. 25, 2013, 11:09 p.m.

http://transform.fairfaxregional.com.au/transform/v1/resize/frm/storypad-bzDwk8TrKQYKjEefACKcS8/f32eec0a-5466-4328-a813-bb22c7c6c17e.jpg/w1200_h678_fcrop.jpg
KEW JALIENS

WELCOME, Kew Jaliens. The Dutch defender arrived in Newcastle yesterday, and not a day too soon.

In the past three seasons the Jets have conceded 33 goals, 41 and 45. Not the worst defence, but not the best, and certainly not good enough to earn a place in the finals.

They gave up just the one goal in their loss to Wellington Phoenix at Weston on Saturday, their first defeat of the pre-season and their first match against A-League opposition.

The goal came from a corner. Ben Sigmund, a regular go-to man at set pieces, was inexplicably left unmarked near the penalty spot, and with a pin-point delivery from Carlos Hernandez, the All Whites defender picked his mark and powered a header into the right corner.

The Phoenix also missed two tap-ins, hit the crossbar and the post, and were denied by some acrobatic keeping by Mark Birighitti.

The majority of chances were on the counter-attack. Most turnovers were a result of poor decisions, miscommunication or inexperience.

With Josh Mitchell on the comeback trail from knee surgery and Connor Chapman not risked with a minor calf strain, Jacob Pepper played as a makeshift centre half alongside Taylor Regan, a tough task against a strike force powered by Hernandez and Paul Ifill.

Expectations are high for Jaliens, the former Dutch international and veteran of 300-plus games in the Eredivisie.

"We need to have more direction at the back," coach Gary van Egmond said. "It is like having an extension of yourself on the field. That is what you want.

"He is going to be a major part of that."

The Jets have this week off, giving Jaliens time to settle in to his new home.

"It's a perfect situation," van Egmond said.

"When we come back from this break, everyone will be raring to go."

Jaliens, marquee striker Emile Heskey and Nathan Burns will make their first appearance against Sydney FC in Wollongong on September 14.

Burns was slated to play against the Phoenix, but his loan deal from Korean club Incheon United does not officially start until September 1 and he was not covered by insurance in case of injury.

The "friendly" against Wellington was a dramatic step up in intensity and pace from the Jets' previous encounters.

It was feisty, but there was no repeat of the brawl that marred the corresponding clash last pre-season, which the Jets won 3-1 and resulted in four red cards.

Van Egmond was animated on the sideline and delivered a few blasts to his players.

"It is important to set some standards and ensure you are doing certain things," he said.

"It is not going to be a case where you can switch the light on when the A-League starts. You have to start doing that now."

Phoenix were the more aggressive early. They were first to the ball, closed down and pressed high.

They took a deserved lead in the fifth minute and could have had two or three by half-time.

"It took a few minutes for us to go, 'OK, we are back at this level again,' but from then I thought we started to play quite well," van Egmond said.

The Jets were much better in the second half.

They made inroads down the right, where Andrew Hoole combined well with James Virgili.

"As the game grew, we grew into it," van Egmond said. "I thought overall we probably controlled more of the game. They probably had more chances, but from counter-attack.

"We got ourselves in better positions but we lacked the decision making and the execution of the last pass."

New Phoenix coach Ernie Merrick was very pleased with his team, including former Jets skipper and trialist Matt Thompson.

"More than the result, we played good, attractive football right to the end," Merrick said. "Matt is doing all the right things. I think the next stage might be to have a chat to him and see if he can come over to Wellington for a week or two."

www.theherald.com.au/story/1729719/defender-kew-jaliens-as-jets-on-field-general/?cs=306

Oh god, just kill me now, if i have to put up with another year of this bullshit, we controlled the game, we got into good positions but lacked a final pass bullshit. How many pre-season's, how many transfer periods, how many failed new recruits does it take before the club starts to realise this bloke is a joke.

I'd rather we didn't sign a few players and used some of our player budget to get him out the door, maybe a one year membership increase. Hopefully once they see the final membership number it might be enough to convince HSG.

q-money
26-08-2013, 11:39 AM
"We need to have more direction at the back," coach Gary van Egmond said. "It is like having an extension of yourself on the field. That is what you want.

:rof:

Maito Mitch
26-08-2013, 12:00 PM
The majority of chances were on the counter-attack. Most turnovers were a result of poor decisions, miscommunication or inexperience.

"I thought overall we probably controlled more of the game. They probably had more chances, but from counter-attack.

"We got ourselves in better positions but we lacked the decision making and the execution of the last pass."

:cool:

Wish I kept all my recordings of last seasons games. Could have just re-watched one a week and saved the membership fee :banghead:

plague
26-08-2013, 12:04 PM
Thats is seriously the greatest piss take ever.
Well in Pico.

Pico
26-08-2013, 01:52 PM
Thats is seriously the greatest piss take ever.
Well in Pico.

If only it was a piss take.

I don't know what's worse, the way the teams playing, the lack of any apparent action by the club to remotely improve the coaching or the coaches delusions of grandeur.

Premy
26-08-2013, 02:01 PM
Two English Premier League football clubs are understood to have investigated making a bid for A-League team Western Sydney Wanderers.

Manchester City and one other EPL club have reportedly made preliminary inquiries about buying a stake in the Wanderers or the entire team.

Football Federation Australia owns the Wanderers, which was formed in 2012 and finished first on the A-League ladder in its debut season.

The governing body wants to sell the team to private interests and has em*ployed investment bank UBS to find a buyer, with a $15 million price tag mooted. UBS has created a 50-page information memorandum on the Wanderers, including details about the club’s finances, membership, sponsors and key staff. The FFA hopes to sell the club by the beginning of the next A-League season in October.

It is understood several interested parties from Australia and abroad have asked for the information memorandum, although NRL club Penrith has been barred from making a bid, according to Fairfax Media reports last week.

Manchester City is owned by Sheikh Mansour, whose family rules Abu Dhabi. The club is considered to be one of the richest in the football world.

The FFA would not comment when approached by The Australian Financial Review.

The Wanderers attracted big crowds and had stunning on-field success in the club’s first season, despite being put together only months before their first official game. The club lost an estimated $1.5 million in 2012-13, but chairman Lyall Gorman recently told the Financial Review the Wanderers could break even in the upcoming season due to strong membership numbers and increasing sponsorship revenue.

The club has signed more than 14,500 members for the upcoming season, a figure that it may have to cap given its home ground at Parramatta Stadium has a capacity of about 20,000.

The Australian Financial Review

MFKS
26-08-2013, 04:24 PM
Two English Premier League football clubs are understood to have investigated making a bid for A-League team Western Sydney Wanderers.

Manchester City and one other EPL club have reportedly made preliminary inquiries about buying a stake in the Wanderers or the entire team.

Football Federation Australia owns the Wanderers, which was formed in 2012 and finished first on the A-League ladder in its debut season.

The governing body wants to sell the team to private interests and has em*ployed investment bank UBS to find a buyer, with a $15 million price tag mooted. UBS has created a 50-page information memorandum on the Wanderers, including details about the club’s finances, membership, sponsors and key staff. The FFA hopes to sell the club by the beginning of the next A-League season in October.

It is understood several interested parties from Australia and abroad have asked for the information memorandum, although NRL club Penrith has been barred from making a bid, according to Fairfax Media reports last week.

Manchester City is owned by Sheikh Mansour, whose family rules Abu Dhabi. The club is considered to be one of the richest in the football world.

The FFA would not comment when approached by The Australian Financial Review.

The Wanderers attracted big crowds and had stunning on-field success in the club’s first season, despite being put together only months before their first official game. The club lost an estimated $1.5 million in 2012-13, but chairman Lyall Gorman recently told the Financial Review the Wanderers could break even in the upcoming season due to strong membership numbers and increasing sponsorship revenue.

The club has signed more than 14,500 members for the upcoming season, a figure that it may have to cap given its home ground at Parramatta Stadium has a capacity of about 20,000.

The Australian Financial Review

Man City and the New York Yankees have recently taken out a 50 % stake each in the new New York based franchise in the MLS. (Not the one Tim Cahill plays for but a new team).

Would have serious concerns about a foreign club buying a HAL club whole hog. Have flash backs to Northern Spirit and Glasgow Rangers back in the NSL and how well that worked. GYPOS V 1.0:tongue:

Could handle one of these clubs buying say a 25% stake in a HAL side and assisting with development/staff/training etc more than being chief money suppliers

Grimario
26-08-2013, 05:33 PM
Jets to benefit from Wellington trial

Hunter Ports Newcastle Jets head coach Gary van Egmond believes the Jets can learn a number of key lessons from their 1-0 loss to Wellington Phoenix in last Saturday’s pre-season trial match.

Ben Sigmund’s headed goal in the 7th minute of the contest proved to be the difference between the two sides in what was the Jets’ first pre-season hit-out against Hyundai A-League opposition.

The Jets responded well following their sluggish start, slowly working their way back into the match and finishing the stronger of the two sides, albeit without a goal to show for their efforts.

Van Egmond said the fixture was an important reminder to the Jets of the intensity needed to compete at Hyundai A-League level.

“It’s important to set some standards and ensure that we’re doing certain things on the field from a performance level,” van Egmond said.

“It’s not going to be the case that you can switch a light on when the A-League starts, so you have to start doing that now.

“For us, we hadn’t played a game at that level as yet, but I thought as the game grew, our players grew into it.

“It took us a little while to realise we were back to that level again, but once the players understood that, we switched on and played quite well.”

Van Egmond said he was pleased with elements of the Jets’ performance, but highlighted other key areas that required improvement.

“Both teams were fielding understrength sides, but it’s good that players are getting game time against A-League opposition,” van Egmond said.

“It’s an opportunity for the players to show what they can do and push for selection for that squad to take on Sydney in the first game.

“I thought overall, we probably controlled more of the game, but they had the better chances, especially from their counter-attacks.

“We got ourselves in good positions, but lacked the decision-making and probably the execution with our final ball.”

Van Egmond said the Jets’ preparation for the 2013/14 Hyundai A-League has been geared towards ensuring the Jets are reaching peak form at the pointy end of the season.

“We’ve got plenty of time,” van Egmond explained.

“Last year we went through the whole pre-season undefeated and maybe we were a little bit too far advanced.

“This season we’re not going to be as advanced as we were last year in terms of physical preparation and hopefully that helps a lot towards the back end of a season.”

So... err... lots of recycled stuff from the other article.

Love that we are aiming to be fit for Mad Monday.

snake
26-08-2013, 06:26 PM
Love that we are aiming to be fit for Mad Monday.

:rof: :rof:

Premy
26-08-2013, 07:07 PM
Man City and the New York Yankees have recently taken out a 50 % stake each in the new New York based franchise in the MLS. (Not the one Tim Cahill plays for but a new team).
They're to be called New York City F.C it's actually pissed off a ton of Cosmos fans who are now playing in the 2nd tier over there as they thought they were a shoe in to get the 20th MLS license.

I think a 49% thing would work well with the club itself owning a 51% controlling share but have City funding it.

Beeen
26-08-2013, 07:25 PM
"We've got plenty of time," Van Egmond explained

Seems rather confident he's going nowhere anytime soon eh.

:banghead:

halo se7en
26-08-2013, 08:18 PM
"We’ve got plenty of time,” van Egmond explained.

“Last year we went through the whole pre-season undefeated and maybe we were a little bit too far advanced.

“This season we’re not going to be as advanced as we were last year in terms of physical preparation and hopefully that helps a lot towards the back end of a season.”

Is he ****ing serious? Yep we were so far advanced last season that we took the competition by storm and were leading the comp halfway into the season :sigh:

q-money
26-08-2013, 09:38 PM
lol, only at the jets ffs

26-08-2013, 10:04 PM
Everytime this bloke GVE speaks to the media he suffers from clinically certified oral dysentry.

Pico
26-08-2013, 10:47 PM
starting to think this might all be one big piss take from GVE, bloke sounds like he is trying to use the entire nf.net gve excuse list before preseason is even over.

Pico
27-08-2013, 08:17 AM
Foreign clubs lining up for $15m takeover of Wanderers

http://images.smh.com.au/2013/08/26/4694916/RichardShute010713--20130826194939895061-620x349.jpg
Showing an interest: Manchester City requested information about the Wanderers' finances. Photo: Getty Images

English Premier League giants Manchester City have been joined by a leading Bundesliga club and another British club in registering their interest in taking over the Western Sydney Wanderers.

The news comes just weeks after the Football Federation of Australia asked for expressions of interest in the A-League grand finalists, putting a price of approximately $15 million on any sale.

Fairfax Media understands that at least three high-profile European teams have formally expressed an interest in buying the FFA-owned club and have made preliminary inquiries about the terms of sale.

On Monday, The Australian Financial Review reported that Manchester City and another English Premier League club had asked for a 50-page document compiled by investment bank UBS that has details of Western Sydney's finances, staff, members, sponsors and their community engagement.
Advertisement

The FFA hired UBS to help with the sale by determining a value for the club and finding potential new owners or investors. The identity of the other English team is not known but it is understood that a successful German team, possibly Borussia Dortmund, is preparing a bid. Several other European football clubs are expected to submit inquiries.

Last week, the Herald reported that the FFA had already declined an early expression of interest by the Penrith Panthers, while the Marconi Stallions were also considering whether to make a bid.

The FFA would not comment on prospective bids because of a confidentiality agreement between it and potential new owners. ''The sale of the Western Sydney Wanderers is a confidential process being administered by UBS and, as such, the FFA won't make a comment on potential expression of interest at this stage,'' an FFA spokesman said.

There is a precedent for owners of overseas football clubs investing in A-League teams. Sydney FC owner David Traktovenko invested in the Sky Blues while he owned Russian club Zenit Saint Petersburg. Brisbane Roar are owned by Indonesian consortium Bakrie Group, which has stakes in clubs in Belgium, Indonesia and Uruguay.

It is understood the FFA is open to the idea of selling the Wanderers to owners of overseas clubs because of the previous success of joint ownership, but the governing body has not excluded the possibility of selling to investors from abroad.

The governing body is expected to receive formal bids in the coming months and is hoping to sell the club as soon as possible.

The FFA has not set a deadline but it hopes to find a new owner before the end of the year and will sell the club to the first private owner that meets their demands and shares its strategic goals.

The new owner will have to maintain the Wanderers' brand and identity, and the FFA is keen for them to have a proven record of running a football club.

The Wanderers established a healthy financial platform before the start of their second season by selling almost 15,000 memberships. Most sales have been put on hold until Parramatta Stadium gets an upgrade of about 4000 seats.

Meanwhile, the FFA has joined South-East Asian football organisation ASEAN Football Federation. Australia was unanimously elected to join the federation and will participate in regional competitions and have full voting rights.

"Football Federation Australia is honoured to be admitted to the ASEAN Football Federation,'' FFA chief executive David Gallop said.

''We look forward to being an active member, and to contributing to the ongoing development and success of football in our region.''

www.smh.com.au/sport/a-league/foreign-clubs-lining-up-for-15m-takeover-of-wanderers-20130826-2smc8.html#ixzz2d70tjB5w

I guess it's good to see OS interest in our league, I guess you never know these bidders might amount to nothing at this point but could help in any expansion in the future.

Pico
27-08-2013, 08:22 AM
Western Sydney Wanderers hopeful of greater capacity at Parramatta Stadium by next A-League season

http://resources2.news.com.au/images/2013/04/18/1226623/780578-wanderers.jpg
Fans pack Parramatta stadium for the derby clash with Sydney FC. Picture: Attila Szilvasi Source: The Daily Telegraph

THE WANDERERS are hopeful of playing in front of an increased capacity next season, with the club increasingly optimistic that extra seating will be installed at Parramatta Stadium in time for next season.

Chairman Lyall Gorman last night said an increase of up to 3500 new seats was “more likely than not” which would lift the stadium’s capacity to more than 24,000.

Under the advanced plans, a structure would be constructed at the end currently used as a family area to house the extra seating, with a more permanent solution still to be sought in the longer term.

Venues NSW, which has ultimate control of the stadium, has appointed a project manager to oversee the hoped-for installation and Gorman said the prospect of it happening “is a lot further forward than it was a week ago”.

“We had another meeting today and there’s a hugely can-do attitude from all parties, and it’s about trying to find the best solution for all of us,” Gorman said.

“We’ll have another meeting in a fortnight, but as things stand there’s a determination to try to do this if we possibly can.”

Gorman said no decision will be made on when to implement a cap on memberships until then, with the final figure dependent on what the stadium’s capacity will be.

Already the club has sold more than 15,000 memberships for next season, with a further spurt expected as the start of the season on October 11 gets closer.

“Either way though it [the cap] will be around 80% of capacity, as we want to leave enough tickets available for new supporters to experience the atmosphere, plus meet our obligations in terms of away fans and corporate partners,” he said.

Meanwhile Gorman insisted there remains a possibility that the club could be sold by Football Federation Australia before the start of next season.

Reports yesterday suggested that Manchester City had made an initial approach to investment bank UBS, handling the sale for FFA, but well-placed sources have told The Daily Telegraph that no such conversations took place.

Gorman declined to comment on individual potential bidders, but said an appropriate bidder could emerge at any time.

“It could happen in a day or it could take months,” he said of the sale. “We won’t move until we find the right ownership group with the right fit and the appropriate financial considerations.

“Such a group could come forward tomorrow, so there’s no definitive timetable in that respect.”

In other A-League news, Brisbane have welcomed back former winger Kofi Danning to aid his recovery from major surgery to repair a snapped cruciate ligament.

Dannig tore his anterior cruciate ligament five months ago while playing for the Roar’s sister club CS Vise in Belgium, and will complete his rehabilitation with Roar.

Geez is there nothing theses blokes don't get from all levels of government. Gorman must have made copies of the photos CCM have of all those minsters.

boz-monaut
27-08-2013, 08:30 AM
they have eight marginal seats in Western Sydney

the seat of Newcastle has been held by Labor since Federation

it doesn't take photographs of ministers, just a bevvy of felatious ministers throwing all their money at you

GazFish35
27-08-2013, 10:21 AM
dont forget Boz that Western Sydney is the heartland of regional australia too.

q-money
27-08-2013, 10:26 AM

belmore is our ground zero

nevr 4get

plague
27-08-2013, 12:06 PM
You blokes should be more like the RBB.

To be fair though, we aren't exactly playing at Cahill oval.

MFKS
27-08-2013, 12:22 PM
You blokes should be more like the RBB.

To be fair though, we aren't exactly playing at Cahill oval.

Surface wise though I think Cahill Oval is in better nick

plague
27-08-2013, 12:24 PM
Surface wise though I think Cahill Oval is in better nick

Ok so we need better grass and giant sauce bottles.
Anything else?

Pico
28-08-2013, 08:29 AM
Socceroo Michael Zullo tipped to return to A-League with Adelaide United

http://resources0.news.com.au/images/2013/05/29/1226653/243792-michael-zullo.jpg
Michael Zullo could return to the A-League with Adelaide. Picture: Brett Costello Source: The Daily Telegraph

FRINGE Socceroo Michael Zullo is likely to sign for Adelaide United less than 72 hours after the club saw off Dario Vidosic to Swiss club Sion.

The left-sided player is tipped to agree to terms by Wednesday evening.

Zullo’s Dutch club Utrecht is set to grant the wide player an early release despite being two years away from ending his contract.

Zullo, 24, - a former Brisbane Roar player - hasn't figured for Utrecht in the club's four clashes this season.

It's understood Adelaide does have another left sided option if the Zullo deal doesn't reach a positive conclusion.

Meanwhile Adelaide's pre season was thrown into disarray after the club was forced to withdraw from Indonesia's Menpora Cup today.

Adelaide cancelled its tournament appearance after Menpora Cup organisers rescheduled the eight team competition for a late September start.

Adelaide and Central Coast Mariners were invited - all expenses paid - to Indonesia to face six other clubs from September 10.

The postponement did not suit Adelaide given the Reds would have returned to the city in early October - just days before starting its A-League campaign against Perth Glory at Coopers Stadium.

Nonetheless Adelaide has locked in two friendlies against A-League opposition.

Adelaide faces Western Sydney Wanderers on September 22 in Sydney and Melbourne Heart five days later at Epping Stadium in Melbourne.

Adelaide tonight played what was to be its final preseason game against local opposition.

With coach Josep Gombau in Spain until the weekend the Reds struggled when Comets held the A-League side scoreless in the first half at Santos Stadium.

Adelaide eventually claimed a 3-0 victory after Sergio Cirio made space inside the box before firing a low drive into the back of the net to break the deadlock.

Jeronimo Neumann made it 2-0 after tucking the ball home from a neat counter attack before Awer Mabil scored 12 minutes from the end with a bullet.

I wonder Is cassio on the outer or are they looking to play zullo further forward.

Pico
28-08-2013, 08:31 AM
Manchester City completely deny any interest in buying A-League club Western Sydney Wanderers

MANCHESTER City have issued a complete denial of ever showing interest in buying Western Sydney Wanderers.

Dismissing media reports of the past two days, which claimed City had sought the prospectus being issued to potential bidders, a City spokesperson told The Daily Telegraph that the club had "no interest whatsoever" in buying the Wanderers, as Football Federation Australia seeks a $15m buyer for the nascent club.

A variety of potential suitors had been linked with Western Sydney, with the sale being handled by merchant bank UBS.

When asked about the reports that the EPL side was one of those suitors, a Manchester City spokesperson said:

“Contrary to media reports in Australia, Manchester City Football Club has expressed no interest whatsoever in the purchase of any stake in the Western Sydney Wanderers.

"Also contrary to reports, the club has not requested, nor has it received, any 50-page information document about the sale. The matter is not under consideration.”

The spokesperson added that no journalist had approached the club to confirm the story prior to its publication.

FFA still hopes to sell the club before the start of the new season, but last week rejected an approach from Penrith Panthers out of hand.

I might be wrong but I thought it wouldn't be city buying the WSW it would be their owners, which would have nothing to do with anyone at city.

Pico
28-08-2013, 08:38 AM
Football Federation Australia moves to select heir to powerful chairman Frank Lowy

EXCLUSIVE: FOOTBALL Federation Australia has taken the first steps towards choosing Frank Lowy’s successor, with a team of headhunters appointed to produce a shortlist of candidates.

The Daily Telegraph understands that the brief includes finding several directors to succeed the three retiring in 2015, with one to be earmarked as a potential chairman.

The headhunters have been given a clean slate, expected to interview as wide a range of figures as possible without any preferred candidates.

Lowy, deputy chairman Brian Schwartz and Phil Wolanski, all of whom are elected to the post, must stand down in 2015 under the terms of FFA’s constitution, and there had been calls recently for the process of succession to begin now.

It’s understood that Lowy met with the A-League club owners last night and discussed the future of FFA’s governance among other issues.

Lowy’s son Stephen had been mooted in some quarters as a candidate to succeed his father, but it’s understood Lowy told the club officials last night that “that is not on the agenda”.

The future beyond Lowy has been the elephant in the FFA’s boardroom for months, with debate varying over the best way to succeed a hugely powerful figure.

The Westfield billionaire took over the game a decade ago at its lowest ebb and has overseen the creation of the A-League and qualification for three successive World Cups.

Lowy’s tenure runs until November 2015, but one scenario being discussed would see the trio of departing directors arrange an orderly succession after the Asian Cup in January 2015 – the start of which is now just 500 days away

This should be interesting to se who steps up.

q-money
28-08-2013, 08:42 AM
slobs

Pico
28-08-2013, 08:46 AM
Tom Smithies says there is optimism for future governance of football in Australia - if promises are kept

http://resources3.news.com.au/images/2013/08/16/1226698/740515-frank-lowy.jpg
FFA chairman Frank Lowy. Picture: Nic Gibson Source: DailyTelegraph

YESTERDAY was a big day in football — if the promises made in recent days are all kept.

Finally, after months of whispered debate, Football Federation Australia announced the succession plan for the post-Lowy world.

A team of headhunters will seek out the great and good who might be interested in a seat at football’s top table — to replace one of the three (at least) directors who have to stand down in 2015, including Lowy.

A nominations committee of three existing directors will review those names, and then they will go forward for nomination and presumably election. One of them will have been earmarked as a potential chairman, to replace Lowy.

It was being emphasised yesterday that there are no names on the candidacy list so far — Lowy telling the A-League club owners on Monday night that putting forward his son Stephen is “not on the agenda”.

So far, so good, and this newspaper can hardly criticise that process when we called for the very same a fortnight ago. If it’s true that the executive search firm involved, Egon Zehnder, has an open brief, it’s conceivable some very interesting names could emerge.

But behind the scenes there are other manoeuvres underway that won’t grab the headlines as much, but have implications for the future of the A-League.

Three of the owners — Scott Barlow of Sydney FC, Mike Charlesworth of the Mariners and Richard Wilson of Melbourne Victory — are now working with several key FFA officials to explore a new model for the A-League.

The owners had a group had sought an external consultant to produce the same, but the response of David Gallop was that they may find more common ground than has been realised by working together.

Similarly other owners are ploughing through FFA’s finances, to understand where the money goes — one of their constant complaints has been a lack of transparency for years over the game’s accounts, fuelling suspicions that they are carrying too heavy a burden.

So for now there is a lull in hostitlies between the clubs and HQ. As several have pointed out, that will only last as long as the sense of co-operation, and as long as the clubs believe what they’re working on will ultimately prove palatable to the governing body.

It also helps that Lowy announced to the owners at a dinner on Monday night that each club would be given a one-off special dividend of $100,000, thanks to revenue from the A-League All-Stars and other areas.

If the A-League clubs continue to push for the competition to stand-alone from FFA — and be run by them — then the new spirit of détente won’t be enough to cover the divide.

But for now, at that same time as FFA has started the search for a fresh guard of leaders, there is some optimism that a way forward may be found that’s mutually acceptable to club and the ruling body — if all those promises are kept.

Lets just put that $100k in a glass jar labelled "GVE OUT FUNDING" and see if we can sell a player or two to help top it up a little.

GazFish35
28-08-2013, 09:52 AM
Clive Palmer. Didn't he want to run the game?

plague
28-08-2013, 10:25 AM
Clive Palmer. Didn't he want to run the game?

He's decided to take the easy option and run the country instead.

Beeen
28-08-2013, 11:47 AM
I don't think the big marn has done much running in the last 25 or so years.

plague
28-08-2013, 12:16 PM
Is that William Gallas to Victory rumour legit?

Premy
28-08-2013, 12:58 PM
Seems to be, makes sense on Victorys behalf as CB is a position their pretty thin on with only Ansell & Lejier as their recognized CB. His been linked to the MLS also

28-08-2013, 01:36 PM
Can he hoof it with pinpoint accuracy because i reckon i know wherelese he might come in handy.

Jeterpool
28-08-2013, 01:38 PM
Would be another good signing for the league

GazFish35
28-08-2013, 02:02 PM
I know he can crack the shits and whinge and whine till your team falls apart.

H should go to ccm

Grimario
28-08-2013, 05:38 PM
http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/newcastlejets/news-display/Jaliens-looking-forward-to-new-challenge/73720

Jaliens looking forward to new challenge

Hunter Ports Newcastle Jets defender Kew Jaliens says a major factor behind his decision to sign with the Jets was the opportunity to take on a new challenge with the Club this season.

The former Dutch international had his first training run with the Jets at Ray Watt Oval on Wednesday morning.

Jaliens said he received plenty of positive feedback about the Hyundai A-League competition from a number of sources before finally coming to the conclusion that Newcastle was the place for him.

“When I got the opportunity (to come to Newcastle), from the start, it was a serious option for me,” Jaliens said.

“I spoke to Brett Holman and Eli (Babalj) who has just joined AZ Alkmaar and I spoke to Gerald Sibon who is now an assistant coach at AZ.

“I pretty much had some good information about the league and some players and it was all positive.”

Jaliens said he is excited by the prospect of helping a young Jets team fulfill its potential this season.

“It’s also a challenge for me to join a young team that is on the road to wanting to win something and wanting to perform - for me, (coming to Newcastle) was more about the challenge,” Jaliens explained.

“I see that everybody is encouraging each other, there is a positive spirit and that is the basic thing to have success and have good results, so for now, I have a good feeling.”

Jaliens’ addition to the Jets’ back-line gives Gary van Egmond’s side added depth at the centre-back position as well as leadership and valuable experience.

The Dutchman said he hoped to bring elements of ‘total football’ to the Jets’ style of play, in particular their ability to play out from the back.

“That’s the way I was brought up with football, as a defender to start the game and build up from the back,” Jaliens said.

“It’s what I’ve been doing since I was a small kid and it’s the way I play.

“In Holland you learn that if you’re strong in possession and you start well, the other team doesn’t have a chance to attack.

“As long as we have the ball, it’s our choice what to do with it.

“In Holland I’ve played in different systems and different styles of play, so for me, it’s a task the coach gives you and it’s up to you do it.”

After arriving on Sunday evening, Jaliens said his initial impression of the city of Newcastle had been overwhelmingly positive.

“I love the weather, I love Newcastle, everything is clean, the people are nice so at this point I have a pretty good impression,” he said.

“In Holland, everyone was really positive and had good experiences (in the A-League), but always you have to see for yourself.

“I came here with a blank and my first impression is very good.”

Since his contract with Polish giants Wisla Krakow ended in June, Jaliens has been keeping fit training with Dutch Eredivisie side AZ Alkmaar.

The 34-year-old said he is happy with where he is at physically at this stage of the pre-season.

“I’ve been training since the end of June with AZ and have had a pretty good preparation,” Jaliens said.

“I’ve been training at a good pace with AZ, they’re a team that are playing in the Europa League, so they’ve had a pretty serious preparation and I was able to do everything they did.

“In Poland, the season ended at the beginning of June, so I think I’m at a good level.”

Premy
28-08-2013, 09:55 PM
http://m.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/push-for-parramatta-stadium-precinct-ahead-of-new-venue-20130827-2soe7.html

FFS I shouldn't be surprised but. I'm drawing a massive cock on Election Day.

Edit: better not do that might come across as a vote for Abbot

Premy
29-08-2013, 04:03 PM

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/ange-postecoglou-confirms-melbourne-victory-in-negotiations-with-french-veteran-william-gallas-for-the-clubs-vacant-marquee-position/story-e6frf4gl-1226706510458#.Uh7J22fld8E

MFKS
30-08-2013, 06:23 PM
Central Coast Mariners coach Graham Arnold signed a two-year contract extension to tie him with the club until the end of the 2015-16 A-League season.

The A-League winning coach was linked with a move away from the Gosford club but said his devotion to overseeing the Mariners youth production system convinced him to sign on for an additional two seasons.

Arnold began a three-year plan in 2010 aimed at turning the Mariners into a production line of local talent and while he is pleased with the success he has achieved so far, he believes the job is not yet done.

"I've given them my commitment to stay with them in the A-League," Arnold said. "So it's going to be another three-year plan in place of reproducing the kids we've produced in the first three years."
Advertisement

Arnold has been vocal with his desire to leave the A-League to coach overseas and maintains that is still an objective of his, despite staying with the club.

"My ambition to go overseas still hasn't changed, I still want to go overseas," Arnold said.

I wonder how many tins of tuna he got as a payrise?

Grimario
30-08-2013, 06:27 PM
http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1165667/Arnold-to-stamp-out-complacency

So, finally, which is the team to beat this season?

I think it will be that team that keeps its best players on the field consistently. Sydney FC and Melbourne Victory will be there, Brisbane will again be tough but the dark horses could be Newcastle, who have some good young guns plus a few top players

Trolled by Arnie, ffs.

MFKS
30-08-2013, 06:30 PM
http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1165667/Arnold-to-stamp-out-complacency

Trolled by Arnie, ffs.

Blokes deadset taking the piss or he knows something we don't and that GVE will be gone by Rd 3

MFKS
31-08-2013, 07:10 PM
SPORTING Declaration does not want to plant the kiss of death, but deep down inside I’ve got a good feeling about the Newcastle Jets.
See your ad here

At this time of year, admittedly, that is a rare event.

Since the A-League first kicked off, the Jets have traditionally spent their off-seasons floundering in turmoil.

Usually the drama involves a sacked coach, a cleanout of players, a serious injury, a financial crisis or some form of furious bust-up with the game’s governing body.

But this year (hopefully I haven’t opened my big mouth too soon) it has been a case of all quiet on the western front.

The pre-season has been so uncontroversial it is almost eerie.

Instead of putting out bushfires, Jets officials and coaching staff have been unobtrusively going about their business preparing for season 2013-14. Dare I say it, I don’t think I have ever seen the club looking so settled.

Wind back the clock 12 months and it was a completely different landscape.

Jets owner Nathan Tinkler had tried to off-load the club, then begrudgingly agreed to continue funding the operation.

A host of proven performers had been ushered out the back door, replaced by little-known L-platers, and Emile Heskey was not even a twinkle in Tinkler’s eye.

Not surprisingly, Newcastle’s season reflected the build-up.

Even after the belated signing of Heskey, one of the biggest names to have played in the A-League, the Jets finished eighth of 10 teams and missed the finals for the third consecutive season under Tinkler’s ownership.

But if that result prompted widespread frustration and led many to call for the head of Jets coach Gary van Egmond, it was not all doom and gloom.

At various stages during the season, Newcastle beat the top three teams – Central Coast, Western Sydney and Melbourne Victory – which suggests they lacked consistency, not talent.

Their crowds were healthy.

Heskey scored enough goals to justify the hype and earn a new contract. And the tyros van Egmond recruited showed glimpses of potential.

It is van Egmond’s youth policy as much as anything that encourages this columnist to believe that the Jets can only improve this season.

Last season kids like Mark Birighitti, Connor Chapman, Adam Taggart, Josh Brillante, Craig Goodwin, James Virgili and Andrew Hoole must have been excited just to be playing in the A-League. They were living out their dreams and getting paid for it.

It was all too good to be true.

But with a full campaign under their belts – plus the experience some have gained representing their country at Young Socceroos and senior level – it would seem obvious this time around they will be more aware of what is required.

As young players mature as professionals, they should start to develop a winning mentality.

The hunger for success replaces the satisfaction of merely being involved.

Van Egmond’s rookies of last season will be a year older, wiser and stronger.

That is the benefit of investing in youth, and in complete contrast to the Newcastle Knights, who are so top-heavy with veterans there has to be some doubt whether the team’s best days are ahead of them.

Young legs provide pace and energy, but successful sides also include senior pros to offer direction and leadership.

The Jets appear to have a solid blend, from one end of the pitch to the other.

Judging by his CV, the signing of former Netherlands defender Kew Jaliens, pictured, could be a coup.

Anyone who has marked Carlos Tevez and Lionel Messi and kept them scoreless in a World Cup match must have some idea what he is doing. Up front, Heskey is such a class act that you can bank on him scoring goals and winning games, especially if he can quickly form a partnership with loan signing Nathan Burns.

Evergreen Michael Bridges remains the fastest player in the team between the ears and will be hoping for more game time than he received last season. He still rates as perhaps Newcastle’s most creative attacking weapon.

In goal, Birighitti had an outstanding first season with the Jets, and the presence of Ben Kennedy will ensure he cannot afford to rest on his laurels.

And in the midfield, Ben Kantarovski will be eager to bounce back from an injury-plagued season, while Ruben Zadkovich has come of age since inheriting the captain’s armband.

Formerly something of a loose cannon, Zadkovich is potentially an inspirational skipper – someone who will lead by example and exudes a will to win.

The only possible cloud on the horizon is van Egmond’s contract status, which could become a distraction if Jets management procrastinate and speculation starts to snowball.

Early-season results will probably settle that issue.
See your ad here

Talking to a Jets insider this week, I expressed the sentiments that I believed the club would do well this season.

‘‘We have to,’’ he replied.

With that type of attitude, anything appears possible.

Exactly why journalists shouldn't smoke crack before writing articles to distribute to the masses

My2BobsWorth
31-08-2013, 08:34 PM
Little bit fairytale ish but would agree with most of it, mainly the Bridgey bit:blush:

Blackmac79
31-08-2013, 11:53 PM
Bridges is rubbish mate. Move on. His football hurts my eyes. More back heels than an arachnid. And don't get me started on his completed passes percentage.

As to the article, he could be our most creative threat if he could find another players feet with the ball, however he only seems able to find the rear half of his own feet.

Here's hoping Nathan burns has put a nail in the bridges coffin for good.

seldom
01-09-2013, 12:49 AM
''Evergreen Michael Bridges remains the fastest player in the team between the ears and will be hoping for more game time than he received last season. He still rates as perhaps Newcastle’s most creative attacking weapon.''
FFS...give me a break

The Dunster
01-09-2013, 12:50 AM
Bridges struggles to make his presence against state league and youth league teams. Nothing personal but he's simply not consistent enough to being playing at A-league level. For every one flash of brilliance there's ten bonehead errors players of lesser profile would be subbed off for.

pv4
01-09-2013, 02:09 AM
Bridges ffs :rof:

stopper2
01-09-2013, 10:14 AM
Bridges is rubbish mate. Move on. His football hurts my eyes. More back heels than an arachnid. And don't get me started on his completed passes percentage.

As to the article, he could be our most creative threat if he could find another players feet with the ball, however he only seems able to find the rear half of his own feet.

Here's hoping Nathan burns has put a nail in the bridges coffin for good.

Agree.
With Burns coming into the side and the likes of Goodwin, Virgili, Hoole, Taggart and Brown all pushing for spots in the front third with Heskey I doubt whether Bridges will be anywhere near the starting XI

boz-monaut
01-09-2013, 10:19 AM
I think all those reasons are valid for Bridges not making the field, however I beleive they are trumped by the fact that GVE hates him

pv4
01-09-2013, 10:53 AM
At least branko liked him :rof:

Blackmac79
01-09-2013, 11:08 AM
Boz I couldn't have out it better myself.

GazFish35
01-09-2013, 01:12 PM
Agree.
With Burns coming into the side and the likes of Goodwin, Virgili, Hoole, Taggart and Brown all pushing for spots in the front third with Heskey I doubt whether Bridges will be anywhere near the starting XI

He'll be near the starting XI all season. At training, on the bus, filling their water etc etc

Skirt Boy
01-09-2013, 03:05 PM
Yous are just hating on the Bridgey because he is a Spurs fan.

Bridgey 4eva!

My2BobsWorth
01-09-2013, 05:51 PM
They all backed the wrong nag last year and they can't get over it

MFKS
01-09-2013, 07:30 PM
They all backed the wrong nag last year and they can't get over it

the same nag that couldn't win the race for us last year, the year before, the year before etc.

How anyone thinks old man Bridges is gonna be the X factor to spark us into being a good side when he couldn't do it in the past should stop the smoking the contents of Schapelle Corbys Boogie Board Bag . NFI

My2BobsWorth
01-09-2013, 08:19 PM
Couldn't win the race for us last year? You must be kidding

MFKS
01-09-2013, 08:32 PM
Couldn't win the race for us last year? You must be kidding

We came 8th in a ten team comp with bridges pulling the strings

You must be kidding

Jeterpool
01-09-2013, 09:09 PM
We came 8th in a ten team comp with bridges pulling the strings

You must be kidding

We started to play better when Bridges was starting towards the end of the season to be fair.

leftrightout
01-09-2013, 09:31 PM
The reason bridges "passing percentage" is lower is because he actually attempts to pass the ball forward in an attacking sense.
We all complain about having 80% possession and doing sfa with it but when someone tries and doesn't get it everytime, he is obviously shit... I'm not his biggest fan but who is the better option in out squad?
I think we need someone new altogether as a lot have said.

Thomas477
01-09-2013, 09:44 PM
The reason bridges "passing percentage" is lower is because he actually attempts to pass the ball forward in an attacking sense.
We all complain about having 80% possession and doing sfa with it but when someone tries and doesn't get it everytime, he is obviously shit... I'm not his biggest fan but who is the better option in out squad?

We have Joey Gibbs though!!!

MFKS
01-09-2013, 10:26 PM

Shame most of these wayward forward passes of his are back heels to no one. The fact that the powers to be re signed this bloke in March 2013 and chose not to even bother pursuing the player we need shows a lot about he idiots running the asylum

Jeterpool
01-09-2013, 10:59 PM
but who is the better option in out squad?

This is pretty much it. We were thin on the ground late last season. Brown wasn't in form at that stage and we had Zenon and Zads holding the central mid position. Taggart was better used up front or out wide and wasn't a creative option.

You are right - he tried to create chances and is always going to have a lower accuracy rate as a result. Plus his one-touch movements (not necessarily only his back heels) moved the ball quicker than we had all last season, giving our wingers space to work in. Up until then we were slow in the build up and relied on 2 or 3 touches before moving it on and the defence had covered.

I think his playing time will be reduced from what it was in previous seasons, but surely he adds value in the experience and guidance he gives young players in the team. He's a handy option to have in the squad.

Jetmaster
01-09-2013, 11:00 PM
The Bridgey hate on this foz is inextricably linked to his part in the leaving of Ljubo.

The guy has a go and would do anything for this club - his attitude is something some previous "gods" of the Jets only showed falsely till they saw the colour of money elsewhere....only Tarek before him showed such dedication.

He's here, he has a season to go and he will play his part - get over it, rant complete.

seldom
01-09-2013, 11:18 PM
and lets not forget his ability to take it to the corner post...genius stuff...worth putting him on the bench for this alone :arse:

sammydog
01-09-2013, 11:22 PM
Shame most of these wayward forward passes of his are back heels to no one. The fact that the powers to be re signed this bloke in March 2013 and chose not to even bother pursuing the player we need shows a lot about he idiots running the asylum

No, people focus on the back heels, but they aren't even close to the majority of the passes he plays.

Do they always find the target, no, but I think that is equal part the passing and also the calibre of the people he is passing to (or their ability to read the game). As leftrightout said though, he is trying to play attacking balls, something we haven't been doing. I'd love the club to bring someone in to do this, hopefully burns is part of the answer, but up till now no one else has stood up for the role. I do think we played better with him on the pitch than when he wasn't, still not good enough but better.

sammydog
01-09-2013, 11:24 PM
The Bridgey hate on this foz is inextricably linked to his part in the leaving of Ljubo.

Bang on the money. But how quick people forget how he helped hold people together when the club looked like it was going to cease to exist.

guy has a go and would do anything for this club - his attitude is something some previous "gods" of the Jets only showed falsely till they saw the colour of money elsewhere....only Tarek before him showed such dedication.

He's here, he has a season to go and he will play his part - get over it, rant complete.

Again bang on the money. Seems people only love players who sign a marquee contract then throw a hissy fit to leave and chase money elsewhere.

Captain Obvious
01-09-2013, 11:32 PM

He should try passing it to one of his teammates. It may help increase that percentage.

pv4
02-09-2013, 12:04 AM
No one has mentioned his ridiculous shooting yet :rof:

The problem that most people have with Bridges is at a time when the playing group realised that branko was tearing the club apart from within, they attempted a revolt & Bridges brown-nosed and sided with Branko, and made the playing group out to be the bad guys. The players pre-empted what HSG found out 0.5-1 year later, that Branko was poison. People think he's for the club, for the team? He was for the guy who was signing him for just under 200k a season ffs.

Bridges gives the good guy feel, but ultimately he's in it for him arguably more than any other player. Which other HAL team would even entertain the thought of Bridges now and even when he was brought out of never-playing-again retirement, honestly?

It's funny how he's meant to be our most attacking, creative option when if you look at the context of most of his attempted passes, the location of the field he has the ball in requires structured, sensical (is that a word?) Buildup rather than an attempted low percentage ball that will more than likely see us under the pump defensively again.

militiamon
02-09-2013, 12:15 AM
Let's be serious for a second - the bloke has done virtually nothing on the pitch for us in the now long time he has been here with us.

Seems like a decent enough character off the pitch, has done his fair share for good publicity over the years, good on him and all that, but **** me if Gallaway hasn't played more of a role on the pitch than he has.

pv4
02-09-2013, 12:19 AM
Let's be serious for a second - the bloke has done virtually nothing on the pitch for us in the now long time he has been here with us.

Seems like a decent enough character off the pitch, has done his fair share for good publicity over the years, good on him and all that, but **** me if Gallaway hasn't played more of a role on the pitch than he has.

<3 too true. Is that the first time I've ever seen you speak ill of a specific player btw :rof:

I did some stats on Bridges last season and the season before. It'd bring pro-Bridges crowd to tears if I were able to find them, truth bombs flying every which way :rof:

Imyourhero
02-09-2013, 12:41 AM
<3 too true. Is that the first time I've ever seen you speak ill of a specific player btw :rof:

I did some stats on Bridges last season and the season before. It'd bring pro-Bridges crowd to tears if I were able to find them, truth bombs flying every which way :rof:

Let the truth be knooown! Down with censorship!!!

leftrightout
02-09-2013, 08:28 AM
I am not out right pro-bridges... i just think some people on here are fairly harsh on him.
He is a decent player who can give something to the team on and off the park, in my opinion and obviously the clubs opinion aswell.
I think the guys in here hating him would be the only ones in the league, every other club would be happy to sign him.
Stats are all well and good but they mean nothing on the pitch, as everyone knows with the possession thing that GVE always bangs on about.

Also the whole Ljubo thing is ridiculous... the guy was a nut job and i will put my house on us seeing him lose the plot at yet another club this season!

Jeterpool
02-09-2013, 09:05 AM
I am not out right pro-bridges... i just think some people on here are fairly harsh on him.
He is a decent player who can give something to the team on and off the park, in my opinion and obviously the clubs opinion aswell.

This is where I am at, but would be more on the side of pro than anti.

BodyNovo
02-09-2013, 09:30 AM
i honestly only think he is in the squad for 1-2 reasons

1. gary saw him as a threat to his job and the idea of him playing keeps him away from coaching
2. HSG were scared of losing more members (i'm sure they already anticipated lesser membership numbers for keeping GVE)

honestly great guy, good restaurant, works hard for the community but footballing wise meh.

the good things he has done in the past 2 years

- goal against heart.
- goal against phoenix
- that ball to jeremy brockie that he fluffed anyways
- all the corner antics (that megs in brisbane :grin:)

My2BobsWorth
07-09-2013, 05:46 PM
Lol at the same old wagoners

seldom
07-09-2013, 07:32 PM
I think the guys in here hating him would be the only ones in the league, every other club would be happy to sign him.

seriously ?....fvckn lol

leftrightout
09-09-2013, 08:26 AM
seriously ?....fvckn lol

Yes Seriously... he isnt a super star of the league but he is a good a-league player and a great club man! FFS its the A-league not the EPL, Stop thinking the league is better than it is

pv4
09-09-2013, 08:36 AM
Lol at the same old wagoners

Lol at the guys who only have bias and an opinion on how Bridges plays formed before he even kicks a ball, whereas the guys who are anti-Bridges have evidence, stats & graphs to back up their argument that he is a waste of space in the HAL.

BTW I love how there's so many fans out there who blame GVE's hoofball tactics on the fact that Heskey is on the field (and blame it on Heskey himself, and don't like him because of this), as if Heskey is making the centre backs play long, and blasting the players doing this as "we're a possession based team and we shouldn't want to turn the ball over". Yet these same fans wet themselves when Bridges comes onto the field - the dude who has the worst possession-kept rate in probably the entire league :rof:

I'll admit there's been probably two games I've watched that when Bridges has come on, the team has looked more lively and has sparked up a bit. But do you know what happened in those two or so games? The moment we got the ball out of our defensive third, we passed the ball straight back to the opposition. As in, we just said "seriously, we want to keep defending and putting ourselves under pressure, please have the ball". If pro-Bridges people can say "stats mean nothing, etc etc" then I can say "looking lively means nothing if you do nothing with the ball, don't win the game, and turn a 'possession-based' team into a 'ridiculous-amount-of-turnovers' team"

Also LRO's view on how other fans see Bridges is pretty :rof:

leftrightout
09-09-2013, 10:45 AM
Lol at the guys who only have bias and an opinion on how Bridges plays formed before he even kicks a ball, whereas the guys who are anti-Bridges have evidence, stats & graphs to back up their argument that he is a waste of space in the HAL.

BTW I love how there's so many fans out there who blame GVE's hoofball tactics on the fact that Heskey is on the field (and blame it on Heskey himself, and don't like him because of this), as if Heskey is making the centre backs play long, and blasting the players doing this as "we're a possession based team and we shouldn't want to turn the ball over". Yet these same fans wet themselves when Bridges comes onto the field - the dude who has the worst possession-kept rate in probably the entire league :rof:

I'll admit there's been probably two games I've watched that when Bridges has come on, the team has looked more lively and has sparked up a bit. But do you know what happened in those two or so games? The moment we got the ball out of our defensive third, we passed the ball straight back to the opposition. As in, we just said "seriously, we want to keep defending and putting ourselves under pressure, please have the ball". If pro-Bridges people can say "stats mean nothing, etc etc" then I can say "looking lively means nothing if you do nothing with the ball, don't win the game, and turn a 'possession-based' team into a 'ridiculous-amount-of-turnovers' team"

Also LRO's view on how other fans see Bridges is pretty :rof:

Oh sorry PV4... you dont like bridges? Shit, the rest of us are obviously wrong... what a bunch of spastics we are!
Do you have any of these stats and evidence to support your last line about other clubs?

I never said he was a great a-league player, but he is decent. Lets not forget this is a league where people like Jamie Coyne get a gig!

The Dunster
09-09-2013, 10:57 AM
Given a full season at Youth or State League level I seriously doubt that Brdgey would be able to score as many goals as Kale. Given that Kale is deemed not yet A-league standard it really makes you wonder why the club persist with Bridgey. I'm not saying Kale should be a walk up start in A-league either - but he's probably more deserving of a chance than a player with his best football ten years behind him

MFKS
09-09-2013, 11:13 AM
Given a full season at Youth or State League level I seriously doubt that Brdgey would be able to score as many goals as Kale. Given that Kale is deemed not yet A-league standard it really makes you wonder why the club persist with Bridgey. I'm not saying Kale should be a walk up start in A-league either - but he's probably more deserving of a chance than a player with his best football ten years behind him

You need a tickertape parade for that post.

So much truth

:gent:

Grimario
09-09-2013, 11:13 AM
Oh sorry PV4... you dont like bridges? Shit, the rest of us are obviously wrong... what a bunch of spastics we are!
Do you have any of these stats and evidence to support your last line about other clubs?

Yes, yes he does. Pre forum crash, he had all passing stats, chances created, goals, turnovers et al and basically showed the Bridget was the worst AMC in our squad, even more so than James Brown at the time or something.

My2BobsWorth
09-09-2013, 11:24 AM
PV4 and his stats, yes I remember them well. Lol

snake
09-09-2013, 11:36 AM
bridges is honkin

leftrightout
09-09-2013, 11:33 PM
Yes, yes he does. Pre forum crash, he had all passing stats, chances created, goals, turnovers et al and basically showed the Bridget was the worst AMC in our squad, even more so than James Brown at the time or something.

I meant proof that my comment about "other clubs fans would like him more than most jets fans" being funny...

Honestly, I agree that he doesn't deserve a starting spot. I was more just trying to be realistic that he is decent enough for the aleague level, in my opinion that i formed SINCE SEEING HIM PLAY for our club!
Just because he didn't get along with a nut job some people on here loved, a little too much maybe, they hate everything he does.

GazFish35
10-09-2013, 08:40 AM
He'll be starting. As soon as he ousts GVE and convinces HSG he's the (cheapest) best option to be gaffer.

leftrightout
10-09-2013, 10:38 AM
He'll be starting. As soon as he ousts GVE and convinces HSG he's the (cheapest) best option to be gaffer.

Been a lot of talk about bridges... Surely time for a 6-8 week joke soon?

MFKS
11-09-2013, 12:49 PM
FOOTBALL Federation Australia has achieved a major coup with the once iconic NRL sponsor Harvey Norman to back the new marquee Friday night A-League games.
With SBS to simulcast Friday night games with Fox Sports this season, the deal worth more than $1 million per year will give the retailer naming rights to the only A-League game shown on free-to-air television.

While the A-League viewing figures have grown steadily in the past three seasons, the league has much invested in gaining a wider audience with the new mixture of free-to-air and pay television.

The Harvey Norman sponsorship is the first significant benefit derived from the broader coverage, and also a victory in the battle for high profile sponsors in an increasingly crowded sports marketplace.

The NRL has enhanced its own sponsorship portfolio in the past 12 months. However, the A-League has clearly benefitted from Harvey Norman’s decision to significantly reduce its involvement with rugby league.

Harvey Norman managing director Katie Page was an NRL board member until 2011. However, despite her strong credentials, she could not be considered for the NRL Commission because of a rule disqualifying those with ties to the old regime.

Harvey Norman ended a 15-year sponsorship of State of Origin late last year “by mutual agreement’’. The company retains a philanthropic link sponsoring both the Women in League round and the All Stars team.

The withdrawal of Harvey Norman allowed the NRL to "test the market". They subsequently sign a reported $5 million per-year State of Origin sponsorship with Holden which also covers the Kangaroos, a significant improvement on the Harvey Norman deal.

However, the FFA will consider Harvey Norman’s support an indication that last year’s breakout season, highlighted by the rise of the Western Sydney Wanderers, is leading to major commercial gains.

The A-League season begins on Friday, October 11, when Sydney FC hosts Newcastle Jets at Allianz Stadium.

The combined viewing figures for that, and subsequent Friday night games, will provide an indication of the league’s growth and potential.

My2BobsWorth
11-09-2013, 04:53 PM
So the government bails them out with public money, and they spend it on league sponsorship

GazFish35
11-09-2013, 06:21 PM
Harvey Norman new the writing was on the wall in regards o origin sponsorship some time ago.

A-league offers far better bang for buck in a growing market.

MFKS
15-09-2013, 09:41 PM
Lake Macquarie to host world-class football facility

Speers Point Park is set to become home to an $11.3 million football facility for players of all levels following today’s announcement of a successful joint bid by Lake Macquarie City Council and Northern NSW Football (NNSWF) to establish the region’s first state-of-the-art football facility.

Minister for the Hunter, The Hon. Michael Gallacher MLC, today announced funding for $7.3 million to Lake Macquarie City Council under the Hunter Infrastructure and Investment Fund, to construct 10 five-a-side football courts, two full-size synthetic football pitches, an administrative building, training facilities and sealed car parking.

NNSWF will also contribute up to $4 million.

NNSWF Chief Executive Officer, David Eland said the announcement today has been highly anticipated.

“At no time in this process did we lose sight of our goal, to establish a ‘Home of Football’ for this region that would provide a first-class facility for the continued development of male and female players from across Northern NSW,” Mr Eland said.

“We had the 2014 International Children’s Games and the 2015 Asian Cup in the forefront of our planning, mindful that a facility such as this would be a big drawcard for teams playing in the tournament for pre-tournament camps and preparation. I’m confident that with our preliminary works undertaken to date in conjunction with Council that we are well on the way to meeting this timeline for the development’s completion.

“The Hunter Region is recognised as one of the most significant ‘heartland’s’ of Australian football, dating back to the formation of the Minmi Rangers in 1884. I’m extremely proud to say today that this facility will now ensure that as well as this rich history, we will now boast a facility that will foster a vibrant, exciting future for football in this region.”

Mayor of Lake Macquarie, Cr Jodie Harrison, said the successful funding grant for Lake Macquarie for the construction of the football facility would bring many great benefits to the entire region.

“A new football facility of this standard in our region will boost our opportunity to nurture local talent as well as world-class players, stimulate the local economy and provide endless sporting prospects for the community,” Cr Harrison said.

“NNSWF’s member zones and associated clubs, schools, sports groups and people with disabilities will have opportunities to promote team sports on some of the best playing surfaces and five-a-side courts, available for full community participation.

“The outcome of this grant application will see each of the project elements completed simultaneously as opposed to a staged approach to allow the football facility to be delivered in time for the Lake Macquarie International Children’s Games.”

This state-of-the-art training facility will cater for elite, amateur and recreational football players both locally and on the global map.

This come out the other day during one of the Foz crashes.

Obviously a great addition to the Hunter's Football future

Thomas477
15-09-2013, 09:54 PM
This come out the other day during one of the Foz crashes.

Obviously a great addition to the Hunter's Football future

Agreed, and I do hope they stick to it being for all levels.

Also, is this going to be going over Tredenick Oval, and if so where are Lake Mac going?

belchardo
15-09-2013, 09:56 PM
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-09-15/police-uncover-alleged-soccer-match-fixing-ring/4958946

Yes! Afl/nrl off the back pages!

evolution
15-09-2013, 10:45 PM
Agreed, and I do hope they stick to it being for all levels.

Also, is this going to be going over Tredenick Oval, and if so where are Lake Mac going?

Nope, where the Macquarie FYL team play now. Tredinnick Oval to remain as is.

Premy
16-09-2013, 06:27 AM
@ PV4 I think you'll enjoy this read.

http://m.442.com.au/News/Article.aspx?CIID=357122

Jeterpool
16-09-2013, 11:05 AM
@ PV4 I think you'll enjoy this read.

http://m.442.com.au/News/Article.aspx?CIID=357122

Zenon's wife did the article.

Pico
17-09-2013, 09:07 AM
Adelaide United might have competition with monopoly under attack

ADELAIDE United’s A-League monopoly in SA is under siege. More than 10 years after it was born as the "People’s Team" Adelaide may have competition.

SA business leaders closely associated to football are in embryonic talks with the aim of investigating whether winning an A-League licence after the current TV contract expires in 2017 is viable.

Potential high rollers of the prospective new club are set to formally meet for the first time where they will start documenting events officially.

One of prospective club’s business leaders who preferred to remain anonymous at this stage told In the Mixer "good people are coming together for a very big project".

O'Grady at home at Old Trafford
DISGRACED Australian cyclist Stuart O’Grady was spotted at the Manchester United v Chelsea clash having fun in a cosy Old Trafford corporate box.

O’Grady who admitted to taking the banned substance EPO at the 1998 Tour de France after he was named in the French Senate inquiry in July had some fine company at the EPL match sources told In the Mixer.

O’Grady retired just days before he dropped the doping bombshell.

A-list to be announced for new program
THE entire make-up of the hosting team for the new live football and entertainment show starting on SBS2 on Thursday, October 10 at 8.30pm will be unveiled this week.

While recent recruit Lucy Zelic and David Zdrilic are confirmed as part of the team, we’re about to find out who else will be part of the fun.

In The Mixer has been told the program will feature celebrities, A-League players, live performances, a house band and a studio audience.

SBS claim it will be the first time a football-based entertainment program has gone to air in Australia.

Ange keeps focus on Victory
ANGE Postecoglou refused to discuss the Socceroos coaching position when asked about the job following his Melbourne Victory side’s weekend trial 1-0 loss to Brisbane Roar in Ipswich.

Postecoglou said any questions on his interest in the job or his thoughts on the performance of current national coach Holger Osieck were "hypothetical".

He said he was only concerned with preparing the Victory for the A-League season starting next month.

Postecoglou has been linked to the position following Australia’s embarrassing 6-0 loss to Brazil.

Stella effort to keep control
VICTORY attacker Francesco Stella copped it from vocal Roar fans after being sent off in his side’s defeat.

Dismissed for two bookable offences, Stella was forced to walk through the crowd and into his team’s dressingroom, situated behind the grandstand at North Ipswich Reserve.

To his credit, Stella didn’t flinch and didn’t fire back, but perhaps a Victory official should have met him at the bottom of the stand to accompany him on his walk of shame.

Glory to unveil new kit
PERTH Glory will unveil its new Macron kit at the Underground Studio, State Theatre Centre in Perth on Thursday.

If the launch is anything like Aston Villa’s Macron kit launch, it should be a huge evening for Glory.

Macron is seemingly on its way to being a major player in the Australia market after the kit supplier has adorned Villa, Napoli, Leeds United, Lazio, Melbourne Knights, Perth SC and Sutherland Sharks.

Rambo antics to watch closed training
CAN you imagine Sydney FC’s goalkeeping coach Zeljko Kalac dressed like Rambo in combat greens spying on rivals Western Sydney Wanderers training sessions before a derby? No?

Well it’s not to say it hasn’t happened before.

Sampdoria posted on its official website that it had caught red handed Genoa’s youth team goalkeeping coach Luca De Pra lurking like Rambo in the bushes apparently watching a closed training session before the Italian Serie A derby on Monday.

But the spy mission must have worked. Genoa upset Sampdoria 3-0.

Fitting tribute for state stalwart
THERE was hardly a dry eye at Salisbury’s Steve Jarvis Park when the proud club celebrated the life of co-founder Bob Bush.

Bush, 94, died last week but his work for SA football was timeless.

Bush’s memory was worth a standing ovation from both Salisbury and Eastern United players and fans long after a minute’s silence was observed before the clash on Saturday.

Salisbury coach Rocky Aloisi also paid a nice tribute to Bush after the clash during the post-match celebrations.

Bush founded Salisbury in 1954 as the British Wanderers and played in the new club’s first match before taking another historic step for SA football two decades later.

Bush was instrumental in setting up the SA women’s soccer association and become the body’s first chief executive.

He was made an FFSA Hall of Famer in 2003.

Adelaide jumping on the future expansion bus, so that makes it Northern Fury, South Coast, Canberra & Sunshine Coast who all want to lose money.

Blackmac79
17-09-2013, 09:30 AM
I would like to see the FFA line up all these expansion places say 4, North Queensland, Woolongong, Canberra, Adelaide 2, pre-TV deal and go into negotiations say that we have 7 Games a week to sell.

14 teams would be so much better, 16 with a top 6 finals would actually make sense.

Thomas477
17-09-2013, 10:22 AM
Got to say though, another Adelaide team might be pushing it. Their crowds figures weren't particularly good, and is there a another non-oval stadium in Adelaide?

Should be: North QLD, Woollongong, Canberra United (has to be an expansion of the W-League side) and maybe Gold Coast.

De-Champ
17-09-2013, 10:42 AM
Got to say though, another Adelaide team might be pushing it. Their crowds figures weren't particularly good, and is there a another non-oval stadium in Adelaide?

Should be: North QLD, Woollongong, Canberra United (has to be an expansion of the W-League side) and maybe Gold Coast.

Adelaide crowd figures might be a lot better if they were not playing at Hindmarsh.

Rocknerd
17-09-2013, 10:52 AM
Adelaide Crowd figures would be better if the club stopped screwing over the supporters. the peoples club is now the only for the $$$ club. they haven't cared about the fans in years.

A new club would see all these lost fan potentially recaptured.

17-09-2013, 11:00 AM

Yep def WOLLongong and go the Wolves !!!.

Grimario
17-09-2013, 11:02 AM
As much as we all hate coast scum, this is a great move by them.

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/centralcoastmariners/news-display/Mariners-to-provide-VIP-parking-to-Members/75064

Central Coast Mariners Members will receive an additional benefit this Hyundai A-League season thanks to the Club’s new alliance with Gosford Race Club.

Mariners Members will now be provided complimentary VIP car parking at Gosford Race Club throughout the campaign on a first come, first served basis.

17-09-2013, 11:09 AM
There is a typo in there, should read On a first Scum first served basis.

Bon
17-09-2013, 11:48 AM
There is a typo in there, should read On a first Scum first served basis.

:lulz:

Premy
17-09-2013, 11:54 AM
Places that I know that are planing a expansion bid
Townsville- Northern fury
Sunshine Coast- Sunshine Coast Fire
Ipswich- Western Pride
Illawarra- South Coast A-League Bid (not the wolves)
Illawarra- South Coast Wolves
Canberra- Canberra United
Melbourne- South Melbourne
Geelong- Greater Geelong Galaxy
Tasmania- Tasmania United
Adelaide- This New Consortium

Skirt Boy
17-09-2013, 12:03 PM
I want a second Newy team.

Beeen
17-09-2013, 12:04 PM
What the **** is wrong with people!? Those names are honking. Great way to engage with fans.

belchardo
17-09-2013, 01:17 PM
Places that I know that are planing a expansion bid
Townsville- Northern fury
Sunshine Coast- Sunshine Coast Fire
Ipswich- Western Pride
Illawarra- South Coast A-League Bid (not the wolves)
Illawarra- South Coast Wolves
Canberra- Canberra United
Melbourne- South Melbourne
Geelong- Greater Geelong Galaxy
Tasmania- Tasmania United
Adelaide- This New Consortium

Canberra are not making a bid. the major backer cracked it after the WS/GCU/NF debacle and handed all the money back to contributors. i doubt he will be making another attempt after being burnt at least 3 times.

joel31
17-09-2013, 01:26 PM
Canberra are not making a bid. the major backer cracked it after the WS/GCU/NF debacle and handed all the money back to contributors. i doubt he will be making another attempt after being burnt at least 3 times.
There might be another businessman who comes in

boz-monaut
17-09-2013, 01:57 PM
maybe a Malaysian bookmaker could invest some money

belchardo
17-09-2013, 02:51 PM
There might be another businessman who comes in

as much as i would like to think so, i doubt it.

joel31
17-09-2013, 02:56 PM
maybe a Malaysian bookmaker could invest some money
Their too busy with the Victorian Premier League

militiamon
17-09-2013, 03:31 PM
Looks like Captain Obvious might be out of a job soon...

GazFish35
17-09-2013, 03:58 PM

your write their way to busy over they're too even tie there shoes.

The Dunster
17-09-2013, 04:21 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-RNmiKG5o0dY/Tzx5ApIaJkI/AAAAAAAAA7g/ElQL271ncas/s1600/pronouns1.JPG

Captain Obvious
17-09-2013, 05:10 PM
Hi Joel31, thanks for the shout out.
I'm well and hope you too are well.
(oh and FYI its 'they're', not 'their').
Talk soon.

CO.

Jeterpool
17-09-2013, 09:24 PM
Hi Joel31, thanks for the shout out.
I'm well and hope you too are well.
(oh and FYI its 'they're', not 'their').
Talk soon.

CO.

Here I was wondering whether the Foz had given you a redundancy.

Long time CO

belchardo
17-09-2013, 09:47 PM
LOL

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-09-17/ffa-requests-compensation-for-failed-world-cup-bid/4963716

MFKS
18-09-2013, 01:51 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=dwpuHB4RjHU

Fox Sports HAL Promo for this season.

Jets appear less times than the RBB.

We need to be more like the RBB

leftrightout
18-09-2013, 02:13 PM

Positive is that we actually made it this year. I am pretty sure last season we were not in the add at all!

q-money
18-09-2013, 02:49 PM
they missed the best bit of last year

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LyJvZrwoNU

furns
18-09-2013, 02:54 PM
I am impressed they found RBB footage that wasnt obscured by smoke tbh

q-money
18-09-2013, 02:57 PM
lowy's boyz can do what they want

goaliepersempre
18-09-2013, 03:28 PM
Lol no token close up of mitchy this year... Lol

Jeterpool
18-09-2013, 03:44 PM
AS a marquee, Heskey sure got a raw deal. His first against Sydney surely should have made the highlight reel.

joel31
18-09-2013, 04:13 PM

And the FFA are promoting flares in their ad

GazFish35
18-09-2013, 04:45 PM
AS a marquee, Heskey sure got a raw deal. His first against Sydney surely should have made the highlight reel.

its in one of them.

true waterboy
18-09-2013, 05:19 PM
Did anyone notice the close up of the little kid wearing the newcastle knights scarf.

Jeterpool
18-09-2013, 05:27 PM
Did anyone notice the close up of the little kid wearing the newcastle knights scarf.

Yep

Blackmac79
18-09-2013, 06:11 PM
Tickets for round 1 go on sale to Jet's Members tomorrow from 8am.

MFKS
18-09-2013, 07:05 PM
Tickets for round 1 go on sale to Jet's Members tomorrow from 8am.

So if I don't have my fridge magnet yet can I buy them??

GazFish35
18-09-2013, 07:24 PM
Find out what the RBB would do, and do that

Thomas477
18-09-2013, 08:07 PM
Everytime I watch ADP's FK vs BK, BK looks worse and worse.

Blackmac79
18-09-2013, 08:39 PM
Tony Pignata says that we should get an email in the morning with the specific code.

Not that it matters, as public sale is on friday anyway

Jetmaster
18-09-2013, 09:11 PM
Also now Captain Smurf - sick of ADP already....

GazFish35
18-09-2013, 10:07 PM
Tony Pignata says that we should get an email in the morning with the specific code.

Not that it matters, as public sale is on friday anyway

He said our club should be sending us the code.

Bet it doesn't happen

slobsy
18-09-2013, 10:36 PM
we need to be more like Topgun Jimmy

the_butcher
19-09-2013, 09:35 AM

Yep, that's embarrassing.

Grimario
19-09-2013, 11:02 AM
http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1167689/SBS-launches-Thursday-FC

In what will be the first of its kind for football on Australian TV, SBS will launch a new live weekly entertainment program, Thursday FC, in October as part of our coverage of the A-League.

Filmed in front of a live studio audience, Thursday FC will showcase the A-League like never before, combining entertainment, football, interviews and live performances.

Thursday FC will be hosted by comedian and presenter Matt Okine, who has just returned from performing at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe and was named Best Newcomer at the 2012 Melbourne International Comedy Festival. Matt will be joined by SBS Football Presenters Lucy Zelic and David Zdrilic with music provided by the show’s house band, newcomer, Cartoon.

Each week Thursday FC will include a look at each of the upcoming A-League games for the round as well as special guests from music, film and sport; celebrity tipping; and live music acts.

"Thursday FC is unlike anything SBS has ever done before and a first for football in Australia," SBS Head of Sport Ken Shipp said.

"Targeted towards A-League fans as well as a broader audience demographic, the program will capture the human and entertaining side of the game and build anticipation for the live Hyundai A-League matches on SBS 2 on Friday nights."

Thursday FC will premiere live on Thursday 10 October at 8:30pm on SBS 2 ahead of the first A-League game of the season between Sydney FC and Newcastle Jets on Friday 11 October at 7:00pm on SBS 2.

russjaybee
19-09-2013, 12:07 PM
Awesome, sort of going for a Soccer AM vibe I'm guessing.

Lucy Zelic (Y)

BodyNovo
19-09-2013, 12:27 PM
Losses: Mel

Gains:
Tara
http://www.kenchuaphoto.com/wp-content/gallery/street/tara_rushton.jpg

Lucy
http://resources3.news.com.au/images/2013/09/07/1226714/177011-zelic.jpg

q-money
19-09-2013, 12:29 PM
fair swap i reckon

Grimario
19-09-2013, 12:30 PM
Awesome, sort of going for a Soccer AM vibe I'm guessing.

Lucy Zelic (Y)

Is that (Y) boobs or (Y) thumbs up emoticon?

Bon
19-09-2013, 12:32 PM
Is that (Y) boobs or (Y) thumbs up emoticon?

I always thought it was for the lower lady parts? :roflz:

Grimario
19-09-2013, 12:46 PM
I always thought it was for the lower lady parts? :roflz:

O
/(.Y.)\
| . |
( Y )
| | |
| | |

Hmm, you might be right.

GazFish35
19-09-2013, 01:08 PM

Bet it doesn't happen

Just call me Nostradamus.

russjaybee
19-09-2013, 01:56 PM
Lol it was for thumbs up but I would have also accepted ( . Y . )s

Grimario
19-09-2013, 02:00 PM
http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/newcastlejets/news-display/Heskey-out-for-six-weeks/75272

Hunter Ports Newcastle Jets striker Emile Heskey will be sidelined for six weeks after suffering a Grade 2 medial ligament strain in his left knee during the Jets’ pre-season trial match against Melbourne Victory.

Heskey sustained the injury in the 23rd minute of the contest following a strong tackle from Melbourne Victory defender Nick Ansell.

Scans today revealed the former England international is likely to miss the opening three rounds of the 2013/14 Hyundai A-League season, with the Jets’ Round 4 F3 Derby clash with the Central Coast Mariners looming as potential date for his return.

Meanwhile, Jets forward Nathan Burns is awaiting the results of scans to determine the severity of a hamstring strain he sustained during the warm-up to yesterday’s match against the Victory.

Burns was not risked during the match and will have confirmation on the extent of his injury within the next 24 hours.

The big Esky confirmed out for 6 weeks. So, 6-8 weeks. So season. So probably career.

Or does that only hold true for Bridges?

MFKS
19-09-2013, 02:04 PM
http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/newcastlejets/news-display/Heskey-out-for-six-weeks/75272

The big Esky confirmed out for 6 weeks. So, 6-8 weeks. So season. So probably career.

Or does that only hold true for Bridges?

No great loss really it is actually great news in my eyes

Another couple of injuries to Gibbs and Bridges and GVE's hand will be forced and the **** will be obliged to give Kale a go.

Member to spend the arvo making Bridgy and Gibbs Voodoo dolls

GazFish35
19-09-2013, 02:06 PM
Heskey injured by Ansell.

allergic to latex?

MFKS
19-09-2013, 02:13 PM
Anyone see the prices to Smurfs away??

I thought away fans had to be issued seats at prices the same as home fans for equivalent seats??
$28 to sit in the away bay behind the goals. Only $20-25 for the Cove???

There is also cheaper seats elsewhere in the stadium.

Why the **** are we being fleeced and paying ADP's wages???

hausmann
19-09-2013, 02:17 PM
Anyone see the prices to Smurfs away??

I thought away fans had to be issued seats at prices the same as home fans for equivalent seats??
$28 to sit in the away bay behind the goals. Only $20-25 for the Cove???

There is also cheaper seats elsewhere in the stadium.

Why the **** are we being fleeced and paying ADP's wages???

It's not you they are targeting, it's the RBB.

Just wait and see how the RBB get this decision overturned, and then try and do it like them.

MFKS
19-09-2013, 02:20 PM
Problem sorted

I am buying cheap seats in the Smurfs section and then sitting where ever the **** I want in the Away Bay.

**** the ****s

19-09-2013, 02:42 PM
Heskey injured by Ansell.

allergic to latex?

Maybe the big fella was , well lets just say too big for Ansell !!!!!!.

Rocknerd
19-09-2013, 07:36 PM

Bet it doesn't happen

As FFA are unorriginal i just typed the most likely combinations in and the code is sfcvjets anyone doing a bulk buy?

evolution
19-09-2013, 07:49 PM
The code is actually in the Jets Insider email that got sent out today. I'm as surprised as anyone!

q-money
20-09-2013, 12:59 PM
sydney allocating 17 bays to WSW for the derby :rof:

what's the bet the jets just give them the whole eastern stand :rof:

Pico
20-09-2013, 03:25 PM
Paul Harragon's elite league centre plan
By ROBERT DILLON
Sept. 19, 2013, 11 p.m.

McCloy said he had also been impressed by a proposal from soccer legend Craig Johnston to establish a soccer academy at District Park but added: ‘‘I haven’t spoken to Craig for some time’’.

NRL strategic-projects manager Shane Mattiske, who met recently with Harragon to discuss the concept, declined to comment.

Harragon said he was prepared for a protacted process of potentially ‘‘a couple of years’’.

It took 55 weeks for Northern NSW Football and Lake Macquarie City Council to announce last week it had secured the $7.3million in state funding needed to build the Speers Point soccer headquarters, which will include two full-sized FIFA-standard synthetic all-weather fields, 10 five-a-side courts, a multi-purpose centre and a 100-space car park.

NNSWF will commit up to $4 million of its funds towards the facility.

www.theherald.com.au/story/1789126/paul-harragons-elite-league-centre-plan/?cs=303

Interesting that league wants in on this after Craig Johnsons proposal starts seeing light.

I'm sure Tinkler would want to have the state & Fed's pay for it while he runs it, He'll probably demand that Buildev build it too.

If I were Craig Johnson I'd start looking for another site, with the amount of rugby league connections at Hunter venues & NSW Venues football does not stand a chance, shame really as it could have been another great legacy that could be left after the Asian cup if Johnson could have got his plan off the ground and enough built to be utilised as a training venue in 2015.

plague
20-09-2013, 04:06 PM
Rugby League already has an elite development centre.
It's called the Mt Druitt housing commission.

Blackmac79
20-09-2013, 04:20 PM

Your wrong mate. That's a wanderers hooligan training school.

Premy
20-09-2013, 04:35 PM
sydney allocating 17 bays to WSW for the derby :rof:

what's the bet the jets just give them the whole eastern stand :rof:

Put them on the northern/non-drinking hill

GazFish35
20-09-2013, 04:56 PM

Don't smear MtDruitt with such slanderous accusations.

q-money
20-09-2013, 05:05 PM
i climbed mt druitt

parksey
20-09-2013, 05:09 PM

possibly your best post ever.

furns
20-09-2013, 06:10 PM
i climbed mt druittHow was she?

plague
20-09-2013, 06:38 PM
anyone else get membership packs today?
got the 2 adult ones, no kids one. anyone else have this issue?

My2BobsWorth
20-09-2013, 06:43 PM
No packs yet, prob do the Libs first

GazFish35
20-09-2013, 06:52 PM
Mine arrived yesterday.

Pv4 will shit bricks if he's worried a kit colours still.

The back of the card is Sydney home / Melbourne away sky blue

plague
20-09-2013, 09:04 PM
No packs yet, prob do the Libs first
My 3yr old voted for Clive.

Thomas477
22-09-2013, 12:32 PM
Well they haven't gone for a player in the same vein as the big 3.

Victory gets its marquee man

Chilean international Pablo Contreras has today been confirmed as Melbourne Victory's international marquee, after agreeing to sign with the club for the 2013/14 Hyundai A-League season.

The uncompromising defender has played at the highest levels throughout his career, including the UEFA Champions and Europa Leagues, as well as with the Chilean national side at the FIFA World Cup.

The 35-year-old has made 67 appearances for his country and Melbourne Victory Coach Ange Postecoglou said Contreras would be an extremely valuable addition to his squad.

"We are thrilled to welcome Pablo to Melbourne Victory and there’s great excitement around what he can bring to the club," Postecoglou said.

"Pablo is a high quality central defender who will be an important part of our journey towards an A-League Championship, and, hopefully, our upcoming Asian Champions League campaign."

Australia has been somewhat of a happy hunting ground for Contreras, taking home a bronze medal with the Chilean football team from the 2000 Sydney Olympics.

Contreras follows on from former Victory stars Rody Vargas and Marco Rojas as the latest pin-up for Australia's Chilean community. About 25,000 people currently living in Australia were born in Chile, according to the latest Census data, with more than 7,000 of those in Victoria.

Contreras will arrive in Melbourne on Monday night and is expected to begin training with his Melbourne Victory teammates on Tuesday. He will then head to Tasmania with the rest of the squad for the club's pre-season camp and friendly against Western Sydney Wanderers on Sunday, September 29.

Pablo Contreras
D.O.B: September 11, 1978
Position: Central defender
Chilean National Team Appearances: 67 (8th most in Chilean football history)
Honours: Olympic Games Bronze Medal - Sydney 2000, FIFA World Cup 2010 (2 appearances)

Previous clubs:
2012/13: Olympiakos (Greece) - including UEFA Champions League
2012: Colo Colo (Chile)
2008 – 2012: PAOK Salonika (Greece)
2008: SC Braga (Portugal)
2001 – 2007: Celta Vigo (Spain)
1999 – 2001: AS Monaco (France)

TBH my first reaction was "Who?". Not particularly the reaction you want for the international marquee.

parksey
22-09-2013, 12:53 PM
yeah for sure. although, victory are probs the only team in the league who really don't need a big name marquee in terms of gaining interest. sounds like a pretty good signing.

GazFish35
22-09-2013, 02:19 PM
He will own this league.
Everyone will recognize this within 8 weeks.

Except the RBB, as they are the actual owners of the league.

joel31
22-09-2013, 02:30 PM
I thought who as well too. I thought they were after Gallas. But his CV is quite good

Premy
22-09-2013, 04:04 PM
Victory's attempt at making a Marquee signing this off seasons
Karagounis-Fail
Cole-Fail
Gallas-Fail
Contreras-Who???
Tards thinking he is a marquee lol sure he seems like a good signing but his far from a marquee.

Pico
22-09-2013, 04:18 PM
He will own this league.
Everyone will recognize this within 8 weeks.

Except the RBB, as they are the actual owners of the league.

Only reason he agreed to go to victory is so he can be in the HAL so he can learn to be more like the RBB.

Thomas477
22-09-2013, 04:40 PM
Victory's attempt at making a Marquee signing this off seasons
Karagounis-Fail
Cole-Fail
Gallas-Fail
Contreras-Who???
Tards thinking he is a marquee lol sure he seems like a good signing but his far from a marquee.

Seems like Melbourne are back in the days of marquees like Zura, Ricardinho etc.

parksey
22-09-2013, 05:25 PM
Except that this guy played for olympiakos last year and stuff hey

plague
22-09-2013, 06:19 PM
Except that this guy played for olympiakos last year and stuff hey

This.

We aren't exactly any sort of authority to laugh at other clubs O/S signings.

Except Brian Deane. That shit was ****ing hilarious.

MFKS
22-09-2013, 06:45 PM
This.

We aren't exactly any sort of authority to laugh at other clubs O/S signings.

Except Brian Deane. That shit was ****ing hilarious.

No Plague

We will mock who ever we like

They most likely deserve it anyways

la bazzle
22-09-2013, 07:47 PM
Great signing. Carn victree

militiamon
22-09-2013, 08:00 PM
tbh, I agree that he doesn't particularly strike me as marquee material based on his age + fame + recent clubs.
That said, still a great signing, and he's probably not on a huge amount of money anyway so w/e.

joel31
22-09-2013, 10:03 PM
Also since he played for Chile under Bielsa he must be good technically so probably fits Ange's system well

russjaybee
23-09-2013, 10:31 AM
Marquee signings should be judged firstly on their impact on the pitch and secondly on their stand-alone marketing potential.

Grimario
23-09-2013, 10:42 AM
I'm surprised that people are saying WHO to this guy. He was huge news 10-15 years ago when caught out using a fake passport to play in the EU. Him and Mondragon (Colombian GK) were both banned from playing in France or something.

hawk
23-09-2013, 02:22 PM
Marquee signings should be judged firstly on their impact on the pitch and secondly on their stand-alone marketing potential.

This, although good marketing can bring in better players if recruiting knows their stuff

scarfy96
23-09-2013, 05:00 PM
Jets V Jets members launch.

The Hunter Ports Newcastle Jets will host a ‘Jets versus Jets’ Members Only event at Hunter Stadium on Thursday October 3. The Launch is supported by our Major Partner nib.

The fixture will serve as the Members Season Launch for those who have signed up to become a Newcastle Jets Member for the 2013/14 A-League season.

The exclusive internal match will be the last opportunity to see the Jets in action before the A-League season kick-off when they take on Sydney FC at Allianz Stadium on Friday October 11.

There will also be opportunities to get autographs and photos with your favourite players.

Members Season Launch
Newcastle Jets v Newcastle Jets
Hunter Stadium
Thursday October 3
Gates open 4.30pm
Kick-off 5.15pm
Photo and autograph opportunities 7.00pm
Event concludes 7.30pm

Important Points

This event is exclusive for 2013/14 Jets Members
You must bring your 2013/14 Membership Card to gain entry through the turnstiles
Members are welcome to sign up new Members at the Box Office before entering the Stadium
Members who do not have their Membership Card will need to collect a temporary pass from the Box Office at the main entrance
Parking will be available at the Stadium via Turton Road
Collect your Membership Inclusions

Member inclusions will be available for collection at the launch. Outlets will be opened on the lower western concourse and Members must present their redemption voucher/s to receive their Member inclusion/s.

We encourage you to collect your Member inclusion/s at the launch to avoid queues at the opening match (Newcastle Jets v Perth Glory, Sunday October 20).

We look forward to seeing you at the 2013/14 Member Launch!

MFKS
23-09-2013, 05:24 PM
Umm 5:15pm Kick Off Midweek???
I understand it is school holidays
I understand that some people knock off work by 4pm.

That being said it seems insane to do this on this day and at that time with little fanfare to allow advanced warning and also screw over the Jets Members who actually hold down a ****ing job. (We aren't Gypos on the dole in the Hunter)

Which dumb **** marketing guru is Middleby employing to think up this daft ****ing idea???

q-money
23-09-2013, 05:30 PM

the chicken mun with his customary rage