Page 12 of 54 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Jones is Out (pg 49)

Here is an example of the stories that came out when Mr Lee bought the club - still only five months ago...

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spor...a381c15cc70cf7

Ledman said at the very start they would stick with the current squad and not spend more than necessary in the current season. They also stated there would be no extra cash for marquees and that the balance sheet was the priority for 2016/17.

There was word that there maybe a small move or two in January before a proper recruitment in the next off season.

So - we knew money would be tight this season, the injuries and Miller/Trani being twats have not changed the actual business plan.

Still people think Lee should spend all his spare dosh on quick fixes - not gonna happen. I am prepared to wait till the next off season to see what Lee has in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    Here is an example of the stories that came out when Mr Lee bought the club - still only five months ago...

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spor...a381c15cc70cf7

Ledman said at the very start they would stick with the current squad and not spend more than necessary in the current season. They also stated there would be no extra cash for marquees and that the balance sheet was the priority for 2016/17.

There was word that there maybe a small move or two in January before a proper recruitment in the next off season.

So - we knew money would be tight this season, the injuries and Miller/Trani being twats have not changed the actual business plan.

Still people think Lee should spend all his spare dosh on quick fixes - not gonna happen. I am prepared to wait till the next off season to see what Lee has in mind.
    My biggest issue is still that Miller was sacked. Hence my frustration with Jones who seems to offer very little, injuries or not. I'd like to see Lee inject some cash next season, and I thought that was the original plan based on Miller building on what he started last year, which was to make us competitive. He used the off-season to acquire a few more pieces of his puzzle that he wanted, and so far those pieces IMO put this team ahead of last season's (Nabbout, Clut, Kokko, Brown). Injuries have stalled our progress, but I also think Jones isn't making the best of what's left, and I don't really see any improvement coming under him.

Plus, for all the money Lee spends, do we really think Jones is the best person to have in charge?

The Miller sacking makes all that other shit nullnvoid. It is the biggest reason we are near last and cant beat the gypos

Quote Originally Posted by hawk View Post
    The Miller sacking makes all that other shit nullnvoid. It is the biggest reason we are near last and cant beat the gypos
    We had a 1-1 draw with them last year with Miller coaching

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    These arguments are all fantastic and good except they are terrible and redundant because Lester won so keep going saying money is everything and the coach can't change anything.
    An amazing feat no doubt but it's an unusual event given that the EPL ladder has before that tended to very closely follow how much money each club spent on players.
    Once the more cashed up clubs adopt similar methods to Leicester City the results will once again show that the clubs who spend the most money will be the most successful.
    Much the same as OBP has taken over from AVG in Major League Baseball.

Like the great philosopher Rachael Hunter once said "It won't happen over night but it will happen".

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    These arguments are all fantastic and good except they are terrible and redundant because Lester won so keep going saying money is everything and the coach can't change anything.
    How'd I know someone would drop the L word

Quote Originally Posted by Wilso8948 View Post
    Leicbians?
    OK

Quote Originally Posted by Wilso8948 View Post
    The salary cap along with restrictions on imports in a league without a draft system effectively favours the clubs with the most resources.

The EPL is an entirely different structure and while the way Leicester monitored player injuries has validity in the A-League - it's not valid to a team that wouldn't even have the resources to employ one statistician let alone assemble an operation that collects the required data then applies it to the way the team operates.

In many respects Leicester City had what is termed a first mover advantage. The Jet's don't even have the resources to employ someone else's methods let a lone develop their own.
    The costs of recruiting players oin Europe would be much less than they are in Australia as well given the massive pool of quality players within close proximity and until recently advantages with respect to the EU simply not afforded to an isolated nation such as Australia.

However, that all aside Plague is a smart guy. He's not suggesting the Jets do what Leicester did he's suggesting that there is another way for the Jets to be successful - they just need to find it.

I agree there is probably another way to do it but I'm pretty sure it will be a club other than the Jets that finds it.
    The better resourced clubs in the A-league would already be monitoring player fitness and tolerances to injuries to a far more advanced level than the Jets could achieve on their shoe string budget.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    The salary cap along with restrictions on imports in a league without a draft system effectively favours the clubs with the most resources.

The EPL is an entirely different structure and while the way Leicester monitored player injuries has validity in the A-League - it's not valid to a team that wouldn't even have the resources to employ one statistician let alone assemble an operation that collects the required data then applies it to the way the team operates.

In many respects Leicester City had what is termed a first mover advantage. The Jet's don't even have the resources to employ someone else's methods let a lone develop their own.
    The costs of recruiting players oin Europe would be much less than they are in Australia as well given the massive pool of quality players within close proximity and until recently advantages with respect to the EU simply not afforded to an isolated nation such as Australia.

However, that all aside Plague is a smart guy. He's not suggesting the Jets do what Leicester did he's suggesting that there is another way for the Jets to be successful - they just need to find it.

I agree there is probably another way to do it but I'm pretty sure it will be a club other than the Jets that finds it.
    The better resourced clubs in the A-league would already be monitoring player fitness and tolerances to injuries to a far more advanced level than the Jets could achieve on their shoe string budget.
    There's a signature quote in there for one user at least
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Didn't you watch the facebook video of the S&C guy as well as the physio saying this is the fittest and best physical shape we've ever been.
    OK

He's not suggesting the Jets do what Leicester did he's suggesting that there is another way for the Jets to be successful - they just need to find it.

We found it. We then ****ed it up.

Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    Didn't you watch the facebook video of the S&C guy as well as the physio saying this is the fittest and best physical shape we've ever been.
    It doesn't mean much when a player twists an ankle and then is forced to continue playing injured until he can no longer walk let alone run.

More reasons I'm glad I don't have a Facebook account as well.

We found it. We then ****ed it up.
    The Jets found nothing. In the first three years the resources required to be successful were a lot less than they are now.
    Once changes were made with respect to players being able to be moved outside the cap and so on the Jets have failed to keep pace.
    Miller got the team off the bottom of the table but he certainly didn't have us looking like contenders.

The Jets found nothing. In the first three years the resources required to be successful were a lot less than they are now.
    Once changes were made with respect to players being able to be moved outside the cap and so on the Jets have failed to keep pace.
    Miller got the team off the bottom of the table but he certainly didn't have us looking like contenders.
    That's not what I am talking about. We started with the building blocks of a good young team with a sprinkling of experience in it. We then ****ed that up.

A club like ours without massive financial backing needs to go down that path. Invest in youth, develop, sell for profit. That's where we were and it's where we should be.

That's not what I am talking about. We started with the building blocks of a good young team with a sprinkling of experience in it. We then ****ed that up.

A club like ours without massive financial backing needs to go down that path. Invest in youth, develop, sell for profit. That's where we were and it's where we should be.
    It takes so long and we sell players before we can benefit. Balance of youth, experience and a couple of hard nuts please

Invest in youth, develop, sell for profit. That's where we were and it's where we should be.
    When were we there?????

Quote Originally Posted by RAM View Post
    When were we there?????
    It was only a few years ago. We ****ed it up.

If you can't think of the squad we had that met that criteria, you're more of an eedjit than you pretend to be.

It doesn't work because you cannot recover the sunk costs on players that don't meet expectations - and in sport that's a lot of players. It makes more sense to simply let others develop players and then poach the good ones.

As far as selling players for profit it simply does not happen because the more sound A-league clubs will poach them from the Jets as soon as they look like a sound investment. [Rojas.. and so on]
    It would make more sense to poach players from the AIS and perhaps the Youth teams of the bigger A-league clubs where they have a player with the right attributes who has a top level player on the roster holding them out of a starting position [Birraz at Adelaide, Nabbout from Melb].

With respect to Birraz and Nabbout what possible advantage would the jets have had putting them through a youth system rather than just buying them like they did from clubs that couldn't offer them enough game time ?

It's a romantic idea to develop talent but the reality is the failures far outweigh the successes. Look at West ham as an example. great youth system - struggling senior side

If you can't think of the squad we had that met that criteria, you're more of an eedjit than you pretend to be.
    Can't think of any players we developed or sold for profit. We usually just let guys go for free, and do **** all development.

Quote Originally Posted by RAM View Post
    When were we there?????

I'll help (even if we didn't profit from them because, as Grim says, we stuffed it up)...Birrighitti, Chapman, Goodwin, Brillante, Taggart
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles