Thread: Daily Australian News Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I realise Plague is being hyperbolic with some aspects, but I don’t agree that referees should be totally exempt from criticism or questioning. That exacerbates the problem. But it is how you go about having that discussion. If you slam the ball down, get up swearing at the referee - dissent.

I would prefer to see a model, where the captain is allowed to engage with the referee to discuss decisions or game matters respectfully. Captains should be mature enough to have a civilised discussion.

Good referees are able to have those conversations, and are able to admit that they could be wrong, but made their decision based on what they saw and how they interpreted the situation. I’ve had many of those conversations over the years from both sides. “From my viewpoint, it looked like a foul, maybe you had a different angle and opinion on it, but I can only call what myself and my assistant see.” Is usually enough to diffuse a situation and all that should be required of the referee. Acknowledge the query, explain your decision if engaged respectfully and in my experience, both parties can move on. Agree to disagree.

Of course, we can go with the “referees shouldn’t have to explain their decision” path that many assessors and instructors taught years ago, but in my experience, it just creates a more hostile environment. Any obviously, not every situation needs an explanation.

It should be part of a coaches training for various licenses to do a basic referees course and to be educated as to how their behaviour can affect younger players they are coaching and also their interactions with referees. Nothing is more infuriating than a coach that doesn’t know the rules. I had coaches blowing up after their player hit the post with a penalty and followed up to convert, and I disallowed it because it never touched another player.

Obviously a big part of this is passion. We love this game. We are passionate and that’s one of the best things about football. It doesn’t help when we see Klopp and co going crazy at officials on game day, or players crowding the refereee (this seems to have improved a little). You see your superstars do it, you replicate them, just like they do with skills and styles.
    Last edited by Bremsstrahlung; 11-02-2024 at 11:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
    I realise Plague is being hyperbolic with some aspects, but I don?t agree that referees should be totally exempt from criticism or questioning. That exacerbates the problem. But it is how you go about having that discussion. If you slam the ball down, get up swearing at the referee - dissent.

I would prefer to see a model, where the captain is allowed to engage with the referee to discuss decisions or game matters respectfully. Captains should be mature enough to have a civilised discussion.

Good referees are able to have those conversations, and are able to admit that they could be wrong, but made their decision based on what they saw and how they interpreted the situation. I?ve had many of those conversations over the years from both sides. ?From my viewpoint, it looked like a foul, maybe you had a different angle and opinion on it, but I can only call what myself and my assistant see.? Is usually enough to diffuse a situation and all that should be required of the referee. Acknowledge the query, explain your decision if engaged respectfully and in my experience, both parties can move on. Agree to disagree.

Of course, we can go with the ?referees shouldn?t have to explain their decision? path that many assessors and instructors taught years ago, but in my experience, it just creates a more hostile environment. Any obviously, not every situation needs an explanation.

It should be part of a coaches training for various licenses to do a basic referees course and to be educated as to how their behaviour can affect younger players they are coaching and also their interactions with referees. Nothing is more infuriating than a coach that doesn?t know the rules. I had coaches blowing up after their player hit the post with a penalty and followed up to convert, and I disallowed it because it never touched another player.

Obviously a big part of this is passion. We love this game. We are passionate and that?s one of the best things about football. It doesn?t help when we see Klopp and co going crazy at officials on game day, or players crowding the refereee (this seems to have improved a little). You see your superstars do it, you replicate them, just like they do with skills and styles.
    The last paragraph is exactly the point I was aiming at. The way players carry on at international level and all professional leagues is embarrassing. But ours is a game that?s played from young kids up. The simplest way is don?t question the referee at all. What are you actually going to achieve? Nothing, and players don?t know how to do so. The constant abuse and dissent is the main reason a lot of refs give it up. It?s why I did. But fifa will do anything but tell their refs to enforce the laws as written. Someone questions a referees decision? That?s dissent. Players crowding referees after decisions? Caution each of those ****ers. After a few players are sent off, they?ll get the hint. The other thing is why are players immune from criticism for trying to deceive refs and “buy” fouls?

I?ve had everything from parents coming onto the field to abuse me after I gave a throw in in a dead rubber last match of the season, to sending a 14yo off for constant dissent, to being abused as a clubbie. The whole sport needs to learn to shut the **** up and learn to behave. Passion isn?t an excuse to behave poorly, and that starts at the top.
    Middleby Gone

Lawrie Out

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas477 View Post
    I?ve had everything from parents coming onto the field to abuse me after I gave a throw in in a dead rubber last match of the season, to sending a 14yo off for constant dissent, to being abused as a clubbie. The whole sport needs to learn to shut the **** up and learn to behave. Passion isn?t an excuse to behave poorly, and that starts at the top.
    Agree. More parents than you think have the maturity of a 5yo. The tantrums over a throwin isnt funny.
    The tolerance is gone now. Sometimes wish someone would just do a FAAFO knock down on those guys, coaches included.
    Stfu and let the game go on.