Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 81 to 87 of 87

Thread: HAL 19/20 Rd21 - Newcastle Jets vs Perth Glory - Sat 29/2/20 k/off 5pm AEDST

  1. #81
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    KOTARA STH
    Posts
    15,266
    Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    The passing down our right side in the first half was woeful. I was on the opposite side of the field, so I'm not sure who exactly it was - I'm thinking majority of the turnovers were Millar, but maybe Johnny had some turnovers there too.

    I think overall he's been pretty solid for us in the back 3, and has had a couple of standout games.
    The first half we had problems getting through Perths pressing

    They let us have the ball and left Burns and Gypo Miller free
    Problem was they were massively isolated so had nowhere to go when they got it

    The solution to this is to dribble forward , play into feet and turn or 1-2s etc
    Problem is we kept doing the wrong thing which was to play into traffic

    Perth were all over this tactic and were stepping in and intercepting balls

    Dimi was the chief cause as on several occasions he waited for the ball instead of moving to it and not letting his opponent past him

    2nd half Perth tired and we made our way through the lines much better by 1-2s dribbling past people etc

    A lot of the cheap ball on the right we coughed up was down to our players not protecting front position and being first to the ball etc

    If anything Arroyo Roy and Dimi needed to be much better at keeping the ball than they were. They just didn't get hold of and retain enough ball for us

  2. #82
    Senior Member StannyCFCJET's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Newy
    Posts
    4,522
    Burns was marked out of the 1st half

  3. #83
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    KOTARA STH
    Posts
    15,266
    Quote Originally Posted by StannyCFCJET View Post
    Burns was marked out of the 1st half
    Marked out??

    Perth were happy to let Burns or Gypo Miller have it

    They considered them the weakest options to have the ball

    Says plenty

  4. #84
    Senior Member StannyCFCJET's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Newy
    Posts
    4,522
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Marked out??

    Perth were happy to let Burns or Gypo Miller have it

    They considered them the weakest options to have the ball

    Says plenty
    Burns got closed down super quick everytime he got the ball. They let Millar and Johnny have it

  5. #85
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    756
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    The first half we had problems getting through Perths pressing

    They let us have the ball and left Burns and Gypo Miller free
    Problem was they were massively isolated so had nowhere to go when they got it

    The solution to this is to dribble forward , play into feet and turn or 1-2s etc
    Problem is we kept doing the wrong thing which was to play into traffic

    Perth were all over this tactic and were stepping in and intercepting balls

    Dimi was the chief cause as on several occasions he waited for the ball instead of moving to it and not letting his opponent past him

    2nd half Perth tired and we made our way through the lines much better by 1-2s dribbling past people etc

    A lot of the cheap ball on the right we coughed up was down to our players not protecting front position and being first to the ball etc

    If anything Arroyo Roy and Dimi needed to be much better at keeping the ball than they were. They just didn't get hold of and retain enough ball for us
    I'll grant you there were a lot of balls that were played into forwards feet and got intercepted. Some of those are probably the fault of the forwards, some the passer's and some both.

    However, there were also a lot of poor passes down that side that just went straight to opposition players as well. I think Millar was the chief culprit there.
    I don't mean to rag on the guy, but he has to realise what his strengths and weaknesses are. He is not a playmaker and not good at picking passes. If we're building possession and it comes to him while stationary, he needs to just find a simple pass if nothing's on (most likely backwards) after drawing the defender and keep it ticking over. Because too often when he tries to find a penetrating pass inside or create something it comes undone and leaves us exposed.

    On the bright side, I thought he was a bit better (still not good) in the second half and had a few good crosses and supporting runs for Wes - who was probably my motm despite only playing half an hour.

    Burns had more time and space on the ball than most others in the first half. He wasn't "marked out of the game". Perth were just pressing aggressively.

    I thought their defenders were allowed by the ref to bully us out of the game in the first half. It wasn't until the second when a few yellows finally came out. There was a shirt pull on Dimi in the first half while breaking that went unpunished too, while Gus got one five minutes later for the same thing.
    Last edited by Macca; 03-03-2020 at 08:18 AM.

  6. #86
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    5,674
    Millar is a bench player - someone you bring on to run at or past tired defenders. He should not be starting.
    His passing and lack of defensive awareness are too far below par to even suggest he needs to improve.

  7. #87
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    520
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    Millar is a bench player - someone you bring on to run at or past tired defenders. He should not be starting.
    His passing and lack of defensive awareness are too far below par to even suggest he needs to improve.
    Based on his performance last game I'd start Hoff as RB

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •