Thread: 2021 NPL Youth Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Take it easy View Post
    Looking like a lopsided competition
    It has been lopsided for years. No easy answer. Playing for your "local" club seems the easiest. Over beers with mates on the weekend, we came up with a point system for NPL/NL1 youth:
    1 point if a kid lives within 5km of home ground
    2 points if between 5 and 15km of ground
    3 points if over 15km of ground.
    Dispensations available for remote clubs (i.e., not in greater Newcastle/Lake Macquarie. Dispensations available for family history with a club.
    Clubs can spend 20 points per team.
    NNSW appoint a commissioner to be final arbitrator.

Call Northern League 1 NPL2 and roll both youth comps into a promotion / relegation system based on club championship system
    Senior clubs can't fill youth teams, then back to ZL and give ZL teams a crack.
    Comps to be based on the number of actual clubs fielding teams (no multi byes like this year)

Discuss
    "It is not that I am afraid to die; its just that I don't want to be there when it happens" - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter403 View Post
    It has been lopsided for years. No easy answer. Playing for your "local" club seems the easiest. Over beers with mates on the weekend, we came up with a point system for NPL/NL1 youth:
    Dispensations available for remote clubs (i.e., not in greater Newcastle/Lake Macquarie. Dispensations available for family history with a club.

Call Northern League 1 NPL2 and roll both youth comps into a promotion / relegation system based on club championship system
    Comps to be based on the number of actual clubs fielding teams (no multi byes like this year)

Discuss
    I agree there should be a separation from seniors and youth.
    I agree in a club championship format.
    I agree in promotion and relegation.
    I believe there should be 8 clubs in NPL 1 and 8 clubs in NPL 2 to play each other 3 times over the season.
    I would really question if North Coast should remain a part of the youth comp.
    I like the idea of a points system but not sure if it would be feasible.

Discuss
    In theory a 5km diameter would ensure nearly all of Newcastle and Lake Macquarie are covered. Kids from Swansea, Port Stephens, Greater Maitland & Cessnock areas etc would need dispensation of some variety though.

With a squad of 16 you could have 2 players from outside 15km or 4 players from 5-15km distance.

My own child would fall within the 5-15km distance rule at his club and with the 5km rule in place he would only have 1 NPL club to choose from.

This may be an advantage or disadvantage for the inner city clubs. More players to choose from, however more clubs fighting for the same players.

Personally I don't have any major objections to it.

I would just prefer decoupling Youth from Seniors completely. Complete youth squads should only be a requirement for entry to NPL.

2 divisions of youth with promotion/relegation based on youth club championship.

I said it in a different thread I think but this would also allow greater flexibility for pro/rel between Northern League & Zone League in seniors.
    All opinions expressed here are my own.

"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin

What a ridiculous idea, some NPL and NewFM clubs have players from Central Coast teams, why should those players be punished?

Oh and sorry kids from Nelson Bay we can only take some of you no matter how good you are because you live 60km from the nearest ground