The Newcastle Jets have today brought defender Josh Mitchell home after he signed a two-year deal with the Club.

Mitchell was born in Belmont, played junior football with Swansea Swans Soccer Club and commenced his professional career with the Newcastle United Jets. Mitchell went on to play with Romanian club Universitatea Craiova and more recently Perth Glory.

After competing for the 2011/12 Championship with Perth, the Novocastrian was invited to trial with the Jets three weeks ago and confirmed what coach Gary van Egmond already knew.

“I have coached Josh before and I know what he can bring to the team,” van Egmond said.

“Josh is a very good defender, he is naturally left-sided which helped as that was a position we were looking to fill.

“He brings leadership to the team; he leads by example and is a great communicator.

“It is fantastic we can bring someone like Josh, who is a local player, back to the Jets and to represent Newcastle.”

The Jets coach sees Mitchell becoming a regular member of the starting eleven for next season.

“Everyone is competing for spots this pre-season, but coming in as a 28-year-old, I am not looking at him being a squad player,” van Egmond added.

"Whilst I don't think it will be an issue for him, he has to keep working hard and proving himself to get a spot in the starting side.”
http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/...Mitchell/47906