I like q's third top rater above. Neither of those blokes know her. Hilarious!

Tough race - my advice would be to bet around the cup...although, the pools are so big you have to have a nibble. Also, remember that the international runners are not 'the best of the best' nor are they 'superstars'. They tend to be the second stringers below the Arc and Breeders Cup runners. They have done well in recent years, but Australia has had few decent stayers in. This year is different - Ethiopia, Maluckyday (even Lights of Heaven and Zabeelionaire) are strong chances. Indeed, with an unimpeded run, Maluckyday would have beaten Americain 2 years ago.

Given that it is an open race, best tactic is to rule out those that can't win, and then narrow in from there:

Horses who can't win: Jakkalberry, Winchester, Voila Ichi, Sanagas, Niwot, Tac de Boistron, Precedence, Unusual Suspect.

That leaves 16 live chances. Then you have to make a decision to cull those who are unlikely: Cavalryman, Fiorente, Galileo's Gold, Glencadam Gold, Green Moon, Mourayan, My Quest for Peace, Lights of Heaven, Zabeelionaire, Kelinni - these could surprise, but more likely to fill the places.

That leaves 6: Dunaden, Americain, Red Cadeaux, Mount Athos, Ethiopia, Maluckyday. Dunaden has too much weight, as does Americain (although the latter should give it a shake). Mount Athos looks strong on paper, but has not run in Oz prior to the Cup.

That leaves: Red Cadeaux, Ethiopia and Maluckyday. My money is on Ethiopia (got him at $51 after the Derby and he could be an 'equine freak'). I like the thought of two Australian runners finishing first and second to bust the 'internationals are too strong' myth. But Red Cadeaux will be tough to beat.

If you are feeling patriotic, go the box quinella of Ethiopia and Maluckyday. Both beautifully bred and both real athletes.

The best way to go in a Cup is to box up runners in a First 4. My suggestion is to put three in the first line, 5 in the second, 8 in the third and 10 in the fourth. Make it a $50 bet and cross fingers. Alternatively, roll the dice and stand one out, enabling you to put plenty in for the placings.

Whatever you do, take this advice: drink lots, make romantic love in a portaloo, and get yourself a proper gambling hangover.

(Oh, and back Syd Race 6 No. 5 Maidel)