Page 25 of 135 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575125 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017/18 Squad Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    Mods, can this thread please be sticky? Replace last season's squad thread?
    done
    moved the posts into here, unstuck and closed the old one as well
    Subscribe to The Jetstream Podcast http://www.newcastlefootball.net/podcast

Quote Originally Posted by furns View Post
    unstuck and closed the old one as well
    Thread was a great servant to the foz.
    Will be sorely missed.
    Forever in our hearts.

Quote Originally Posted by borat View Post
    I would rather Kennedy were resigned then waste money on another 1st team keeper.

Watch Duncan leave now
    I can see what you're saying, and while there's nothing to suggest this will be the case, if a keeper were to leave for this reason instead of competing for their spot perhaps that isn't the sort of attitude that we want to create a winning culture.

I think they're on a reasonable level pegging. Moss will leave at some point for internationa duty so Duncan WILL get a chance (barring injury).

I see it as the spot is Duncan's and Moss has to take it off him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Good signing considering his ability.
    He's only on a one year deal, so no doubt on about what we were paying Kennedy any way, but with added mongrel to actually push for a spot rather than being happy sitting on the bench and wasting everyones time.

I can see what you're saying, and while there's nothing to suggest this will be the case, if a keeper were to leave for this reason instead of competing for their spot perhaps that isn't the sort of attitude that we want to create a winning culture.

I think they're on a reasonable level pegging. Moss will leave at some point for internationa duty so Duncan WILL get a chance (barring injury).

I see it as the spot is Duncan's and Moss has to take it off him.
    That's a pretty naive point of view.

Moss has followed Merrick to 2 clubs now and is a favourite. Merrick isn't signing him to sit on the bench and Moss isn't coming to lose his NZ spot by sitting on the bench. It would be pretty easy for Duncan to assume he is up against it getting a fair go at the #1.

The Jets have 99 problems but goal keeper wasn't one of them.

Moss has followed Merrick to 2 clubs now and is a favourite. Merrick isn't signing him to sit on the bench and Moss isn't coming to lose his NZ spot by sitting on the bench. It would be pretty easy for Duncan to assume he is up against it getting a fair go at the #1.

Yes but problem is we would have nothing on the bench if/when Duncan gets injured.
    Would have been happy re-signing Arcaba, but Moss is a much better upgrade and will actually challenge Duncan for the #1 position.
    Subscribe to The Jetstream Podcast http://www.newcastlefootball.net/podcast

Quote Originally Posted by furns View Post
    Yes but problem is we would have nothing on the bench if/when Duncan gets injured.
    Plenty of keepers out there to choose from.

My point is imo Moss is being brought in as #1 and I don't beleive he is worthy of it. Duncan is a younger and better keeper

I agree with Borat.

There's a difference between players competing for positions and players competing for the Coaches approval. Merrick will be playing favourites with his boy Moss and Duncan's only chance will be if Moss gets injured or is away on rep duties. New Coach - but same old Newcastle Jets. - creating problems where there doesn't need to be any.
    Before the season even starts Duncan will no doubt feel like the Coach is not backing him - even though he had a much better season than many others in the team.

Banned
    He's never kept a clean sheet at Hunter Stadium so he'll fit right in
    That means he one of the few keepers this club has got the better off

Been better if he signed for the Gypos

What part do you think is naive? I'd want players who back their ability and the challenge of someone competing for the spot to improve your overall performance - not someone who might run at the first sign of a challenge. But as I said, the least i'd expect, as the incumbant, is first crack at it. Totally depends on the conversation (if there's been one) between Ernie and Jack.

You're probably right, given his pedigree that Moss would warrant the first team spot. The fact Ernie has relied on him at his 2 other clubs also points towards this.

And I think it was a problem - 9 clean sheets in 84 games would suggest we have an issue as a whole defensive unit.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Banned
    As for the signing

It good it on 1 year

Fingers crossed he being appropriately paid and not on large figure like our last 2nd keeper was

What part do you think is naive? I'd want players who back their ability and the challenge of someone competing for the spot to improve your overall performance - not someone who might run at the first sign of a challenge. But as I said, the least i'd expect, as the incumbant, is first crack at it. Totally depends on the conversation (if there's been one) between Ernie and Jack.

You're probably right, given his pedigree that Moss would warrant the first team spot. The fact Ernie has relied on him at his 2 other clubs also points towards this.

And I think it was a problem - 9 clean sheets in 84 games would suggest we have an issue as a whole defensive unit.
    It's naive that you think the decision on who plays #1 will come down to ability or performance. Merrick has chosen Moss as his #1 for the past 3 years and at the at Victory before that.

That has nothing to do with Duncan backing himself. Surely you have been around football long enough to see coaches play favourites.

Merrick's the coach and if he wants a new #1 then so be it. But Duncan has every right to be disappointed and want to negotiate an exit imo. Unless Duncan is already out the door of course.

It's naive that you think the decision on who plays #1 will come down to ability or performance. Merrick has chosen Moss as his #1 for the past 3 years and at the at Victory before that.

That has nothing to do with Duncan backing himself. Surely you have been around football long enough to see coaches play favourites.

Merrick's the coach and if he wants a new #1 then so be it. But Duncan has every right to be disappointed and want to negotiate an exit imo. Unless Duncan is already out the door of course.
    Fair enough. I would say I'm more optimistic about the way we'd operate than naive but that's ok.

Don't get me wrong. I can completely see the scenario you outline happening. I guess we will see what happens around pre-season time.

Gotta love the foz... complain for years about our goal keeping ranks, we finally have two good, starting goal keepers on our books and there are people unhappy about it because the keeper who was a part of our leaky defence might struggle to get a 1st team run.
    WE DON'T DO WALKING AWAY !

Quote Originally Posted by leftrightout View Post
    the keeper who was a part of our leaky defence might struggle to get a 1st team run.
    I'd be mad if I was the only one out of that 'leaky defence' to get punished for it though.

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    I'd be mad if I was the only one out of that 'leaky defence' to get punished for it though.
    We haven't had a leaky defence since Miller got rid of him in 2015.

We haven't had a leaky defence since Miller got rid of him in 2015.

How is he punished? If he is the best keeper he will get the gig.
    Like all players, he needs to keep improving and play well to get a spot. Having an ordinary 2nd keeper is a terrible thing, puts no pressure on to keep form.
    Having 2 keepers worthy of playing 1st team football is very healthy for the team.

Also i think Mullen might have something to say about Duncan being the only one "punished"
    WE DON'T DO WALKING AWAY !

Mullen didn't get his contract renewed.
    We signed a starting LB in Georgevski.
    Duncan has competition for a spot.
    He ain't the worst off in this deal and and 2 of the back 5 have/will be replaced (Mullen and all the blokes played LB badly last year)

We have serious problems if anyone thinks Duncan is a walking startup.

Great signing.