Thread: 2020 National Premier League thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    But seriously, have our “local” players gotten any better and in turn the quality of football improved where “local players” (and I am not classing the a-league retirees in this group) are being paid extraordinary game payments? Do any/many give back to the game and their juniors? The fact we are are having a discussion about no pay - no play, would suggest not.
    The game can not afford what we currently have.
    A regional city, limited sponsorship dollars, shallow player pool and a awakening group of parents not wanting little Billy or Mary’s registration fees going to prop us investment in senior players.
    The fact that some clubs continue to use rego deposits to pay players of the season past emphasises my point.
    If we were to change things up - what would they be?
    Player payments would have to be one area. Another are the NNNSW driven facility standards.
    I would prefer to watch a cracking game of football standing on the fence, than a shite game in a new glossy new Grandstand - and all the while paying $$$ for the privilege.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Dawson View Post
    But seriously, have our “local” players gotten any better and in turn the quality of football improved where “local players” (and I am not classing the a-league retirees in this group) are being paid extraordinary game payments? Do any/many give back to the game and their juniors? The fact we are are having a discussion about no pay - no play, would suggest not.
    The game can not afford what we currently have.
    A regional city, limited sponsorship dollars, shallow player pool and a awakening group of parents not wanting little Billy or Mary’s registration fees going to prop us investment in senior players.
    The fact that some clubs continue to use rego deposits to pay players of the season past emphasises my point.
    If we were to change things up - what would they be?
    Player payments would have to be one area. Another are the NNNSW driven facility standards.
    I would prefer to watch a cracking game of football standing on the fence, than a shite game in a new glossy new Grandstand - and all the while paying $$$ for the privilege.
    Agree. I’m amazed by story in Herald today. Clubs have to pay Northern near enough to $40,000 to compete in the competition this is virtually before a ball is kicked. You can then add inflated player payments on top of that. No wonder if they can’t play in front of crowds they want the season cancelled. I’d say there’s a big chance that that’s what will happen if restrictions aren’t lifted regarding gatherings.

Times that by 10 clubs Johnno and Northern are raking in nearly $400,000 per season through the NPL clubs and they return about a massive $25,000 in prize money for winning the Premiership or Gf

Not quite as high - but sigificant - are the comps fees to NNSW for NEWFM and WPL

Quote Originally Posted by Johnno View Post
    Agree. I’m amazed by story in Herald today. Clubs have to pay Northern near enough to $40,000 to compete in the competition this is virtually before a ball is kicked. You can then add inflated player payments on top of that. No wonder if they can’t play in front of crowds they want the season cancelled. I’d say there’s a big chance that that’s what will happen if restrictions aren’t lifted regarding gatherings.
    Sometimes you need to know the real story behind why clubs needs crowds to games
    Everyone blames coaches and players for being greedy
    If you win the double you don't even get your money back

Quote Originally Posted by Swanky View Post
    Sometimes you need to know the real story behind why clubs needs crowds to games
    Everyone blames coaches and players for being greedy
    If you win the double you don't even get your money back
    Yeah it is amazing, you go on to win and you don't even get the comp fee back. It's standard for Northern, similar to their five a side comps, the winning team gets their money back. Better to keep the money and just go to the pub