Thread: Guitars and Instruments (no stairway)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    The BC Rich Guitars look great . Do they play well ?

I saw this quote about GAS on Musicians Friend Website which made me laugh:

Bank balances have been battered and marriages destroyed, but by god there’s been some lovely gear bought.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 24-05-2016 at 08:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    It played OK, I wasn't too worried about the sound as my intent was to gut the electronics and put in either Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates or Slash pickups alone with new pots and capacitors.

They have a mahogany neck and mahogany body with a maple cap. The neck is a neck through body design, so it should in theory sound good with the right pickups.

But after playing, and it played fine, it just looked plastic. I'm not sure if this is just a nitro v's poly finish on guitar issue as I generally play nitro finished guitars, but the finish was a bit rough and plastic looking. Not something that affects how it plays, but you have to love it before you buy it.

I may still grab it.

I had a BC Rich Warlock bass back in the day..
    Can confirm that both it and the user played like sh!t..

I'm currently using a custom Ibanez 5 string, through a Warwick Quad VI head, with Warwick 6x10 box.. (will chuck up photos when I get the chance)
    Put the head in at Musos in Feb to be checked out as it was sounding ridiculously poor, farty, cutting out, and only just picked it up today with a "we looked at it yesterday but couldn't find much wrong with it".. So p!ssed off..
    Looking to upgrade my head to the classic Ampeg SVT Pro 4, and also keeping an eye out on finding a decently priced Warwick Thumb bass..

Agree. Chords, Arpeggios, and scales are a lot easier to understand on a piano as well as it being far easier for small hands to play than a guitar is.
    I was learning the piano when I was about 7, however learning all of those things was boring and far from fun.. (Although, I curse myself now every day that I didn't stick with it and learn it all properly at that age, I would shred now and actually understand whats going on, instead of just getting drunk and being a hack)
    So while I think that down the track the kid will thank you for the theory lessons (if they can stick with it), I can see why playing songs and music you enjoy at the time is also a lot easier and enjoyable and perhaps open the doors to learning the technical stuff later on..
    Last edited by Bon; 24-05-2016 at 10:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bon View Post
    Was it a cheap one with a bolt up neck, or a good one with a neck through body? Big variance between the Chinese and US made guitars.

Even with guitars like Epiphone, the difference between the low end and high end is huge. Low end being bolt up necks and shit wood.

I'm currently using a custom Ibanez 5 string, through a Warwick Quad VI head, with Warwick 6x10 box.. (will chuck up photos when I get the chance)
    Put the head in at Musos in Feb to be checked out as it was sounding ridiculously poor, farty, cutting out, and only just picked it up today with a "we looked at it yesterday but couldn't find much wrong with it".. So p!ssed off..
    Looking to upgrade my head to the classic Ampeg SVT Pro 4, and also keeping an eye out on finding a decently priced Warwick Thumb bass..
    Like I said, take the amp into Mick Sampson. He has worked magic on my Marshall and Baez many times. Let me know if you want his number. He is cheap and most repairs you get the amp back the day you give it to him.

Quote Originally Posted by sammydog View Post
    Like I said, take the amp into Mick Sampson. He has worked magic on my Marshall and Baez many times. Let me know if you want his number. He is cheap and most repairs you get the amp back the day you give it to him.
    Is Mick Sampson the bloke at Waratah ? Everyone I know that goes there says he's the best in the business.

Is Mick Sampson the bloke at Waratah ? Everyone I know that goes there says he's the best in the business.
    Thats him. Works from his shed and built Baez Amps in the 70's. The guy is an absolute guru when it comes to amps.

Was it a cheap one with a bolt up neck, or a good one with a neck through body? Big variance between the Chinese and US made guitars.

Even with guitars like Epiphone, the difference between the low end and high end is huge. Low end being bolt up necks and shit wood.

Yeah, it was a cheap piece of sh!t.. We called it the "firestoker" cause thats about all the bloody thing was good for..

PM me the number of Mr Sampson. Would love to get him to have a look at it..
    I've heard there is a guy at Warners Bay that is really good with amps too, anyone know much/anything about him?

I seem to remember posting this somewhere on here aaaaaaages ago.. I'm contemplating purchasing an acoustic to just strum about on at home, not needing or wanting anything hectic or professional, anyone have a good recommendation? I was looking in to the Maton SR60 as I do love a good Maton, and it is the cheapest in their range..
    Last edited by Bon; 26-05-2016 at 09:53 AM.

Yeah, it was a cheap piece of sh!t.. We called it the "firestoker" cause thats about all the bloody thing was good for..

PM me the number of Mr Sampson. Would love to get him to have a look at it..
    I've heard there is a guy at Warners Bay that is really good with amps too, anyone know much/anything about him?

I seem to remember posting this somewhere on here aaaaaaages ago.. I'm contemplating purchasing an acoustic to just strum about on at home, not needing or wanting anything hectic or professional, anyone have a good recommendation? I was looking in to the Maton SR60 as I do love a good Maton, and it is the cheapest in their range..
    The guy at Music Solutions in Warners Bay is also good, he is my back up amp guy and my go to guitar tech.

I'be sent you a PM with Micks contact.

This photo some of Micks finest work from last night's jam. Love his amps.....I'm on the hunt for another if anyone has one they want to flog off. Love playing guitar through the bass amp on the top. He did a complete overhaul on the top amp in december (turns out he built it originally in 1973), cost bugger all for what he did and it sounds insane.

The guy at Music Solutions in Warners Bay is also good, he is my back up amp guy and my go to guitar tech.
    I need a guitar tech that is familar with the G&L Dual Fulcrum Vibrato [Bridge/Trem] to set mine up. The last tech I went to handed it back to me buzzing over most of the fretboard.

Would this guy at Warners bay be worth investigating ?
    Last edited by The Dunster; 26-05-2016 at 11:34 AM.

I was learning the piano when I was about 7, however learning all of those things was boring and far from fun.. (Although, I curse myself now every day that I didn't stick with it and learn it all properly at that age, I would shred now and actually understand whats going on, instead of just getting drunk and being a hack)
    So while I think that down the track the kid will thank you for the theory lessons (if they can stick with it), I can see why playing songs and music you enjoy at the time is also a lot easier and enjoyable and perhaps open the doors to learning the technical stuff later on..
    www.scottsbasslessons.com

There's still hope...