Thread: 2021 NPL Youth Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by YewYew View Post
    Wat was all those pens about? Run from the halfway line? Like indoor soccer from 1980
    Yeah very American, perhaps more likely to score than a normal penalty when the goal is only 5m wide

Quote Originally Posted by Goatscheese View Post
    Yeah very American, perhaps more likely to score than a normal penalty when the goal is only 5m wide
    I was there last night very good concept and NNSW should be congratulated for trying something new and different that most only seen as a negative. What I seen is kids having fun and enjoying cup type competitive football mid season. For me it has nothing to with development or highlighting elite individuals it was very exciting and some of the reactions of the kids after their penalty shootout wins was a breathe of fresh air on what is normally a mundane time of the year in football. Results in this format can not be an overall determinate on the gap between NPL and NL1 but it will hopefully highlight the case for clubs youth teams to be detached from their senior ranks and be promoted and relegated on their own merits so the youth football across the board can become more competitive. Along the way rewarding clubs or individual teams within clubs that are working hard and developing. Which in turn will hopefully stop the poaching that some of the bigger clubs do and make them concentrate more on developing their own and hopefully bring a little more loyalty back into local football at least at youth level.

Just my thoughts, but its a great concept and if nothing else it creates more football which cant be a bad thing. Be great to hear from some of the naysayers that were at the ground last night to see if their opinions have change.

Also, it was very professionally run and the amount of NNSW personnel on hand to watch and help out must also be applauded.

Quote Originally Posted by matmoncrieff View Post
    *nip*
    Yes looked enjoyable and most players and parents seemed to enjoy the night. Apart from the penalty thing I did say earlier that this should be done all year as the club's third training session on top of their 2 club sessions. Perhaps mix both NL1 and NPL into two large groups picked at random (mix of NL1 and NPL in both) and play all year.

For me it has nothing to with development or highlighting elite individuals it was very exciting and some of the reactions of the kids after their penalty shootout wins was a breathe of fresh air on what is normally a mundane time of the year in football.
    It seems like good development for the players, current format playing 2-6 games depending on what competition you are in and how you perform seems like good development to supplement their work with clubs and weekend games.

Results in this format can not be an overall determinate on the gap between NPL and NL1 but it will hopefully highlight the case for clubs youth teams to be detached from their senior ranks and be promoted and relegated on their own merits so the youth football across the board can become more competitive.
    Considering we had 2 NL1 teams win and a third nearly win it certainly shows that there should be promotion/relegation amongst youth

Considering we had 2 NL1 teams win and a third nearly win it certainly shows that there should be promotion/relegation amongst youth
    Would you promote all grades as a club say 13s to 16s all play in 1st or 2nd division? Or let each grade be promoted separately so some in 1st and some in 2nd?

Promotion isnt great when you have one or 2 teams near the top and others at the bottom

I don’t think it’s a good template for selling promotion due to the format. It’s possible that some NPL teams didn’t take it seriously and lost because of it (I didn’t watch those matches as they were at the back). They are also not playing the top 6 teams either. So promotion doesn’t mean they’d be competing in the division. Just replacing what already exists. Which is more of the same. I did note a lot of complaining from the other team due to some of the physicality of the game - which it appears might not be something they are used to, and if they felt poorly treated playing city, they would get absolutely decimated playing an Olympic or edgeworth team for example as there’s more physical teams out in NPL land. Again only the game I saw.

It was fun to watch, but would make a great gala weekend or something similar to the women’s state in a smaller faster format. 7v7 for the older age groups might fit better on the field size though.

Quote Originally Posted by KITZ View Post
    I don’t think it’s a good template for selling promotion due to the format. It’s possible that some NPL teams didn’t take it seriously and lost because of it (I didn’t watch those matches as they were at the back). They are also not playing the top 6 teams either. So promotion doesn’t mean they’d be competing in the division. Just replacing what already exists. Which is more of the same. I did note a lot of complaining from the other team due to some of the physicality of the game - which it appears might not be something they are used to, and if they felt poorly treated playing city, they would get absolutely decimated playing an Olympic or edgeworth team for example as there’s more physical teams out in NPL land. Again only the game I saw.

It was fun to watch, but would make a great gala weekend or something similar to the women’s state in a smaller faster format. 7v7 for the older age groups might fit better on the field size though.
    It would help to lift the standards if clubs knew their youth clubs would be going back or going up, which is only a good thing. The comments regarding City was the only NPL team to win in normal time against an NL1 team and they played Kahibah, who isn't a top 4 NL1 team and has been put into the group because two teams above them didn't enter, so unfair to compare a bottom half team against a bottom half team. But more games on tomorrow night will be interesting to see the results.

I was there last night very good concept and NNSW should be congratulated for trying something new and different that most only seen as a negative. What I seen is kids having fun and enjoying cup type competitive football mid season. For me it has nothing to with development or highlighting elite individuals it was very exciting and some of the reactions of the kids after their penalty shootout wins was a breathe of fresh air on what is normally a mundane time of the year in football. Results in this format can not be an overall determinate on the gap between NPL and NL1 but it will hopefully highlight the case for clubs youth teams to be detached from their senior ranks and be promoted and relegated on their own merits so the youth football across the board can become more competitive. Along the way rewarding clubs or individual teams within clubs that are working hard and developing. Which in turn will hopefully stop the poaching that some of the bigger clubs do and make them concentrate more on developing their own and hopefully bring a little more loyalty back into local football at least at youth level.

Just my thoughts, but its a great concept and if nothing else it creates more football which cant be a bad thing. Be great to hear from some of the naysayers that were at the ground last night to see if their opinions have change.

Also, it was very professionally run and the amount of NNSW personnel on hand to watch and help out must also be applauded.