Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Squadron in Western Grandstand

Lightbulb Squadron in Western Grandstand

Since the squadron moved to the western grandstand all i hear is the drums. I sit in Bay 54 in the Western GS and I must say the atmosphere now is pretty dead. When they were on the eastern side you could actually hear them sing. Im sure they are still singing but i think because there is no structure behind them the sound resonance is lost. Yesterday the 12 nix fans could be heard over our own.
    your comments?

Players seemed to respond. 5-0. All that.

Bay60 has been a far better move on the whole. Helps when we are not playing shit as well. Pretty much at our lowest numbers now but at least people are putting it in.

In the end I Don't do active support for you or others in the ground. If you want to hear us come and join us. Complaining while not contributing. Well in.
    Last edited by Blackmac79; 23-03-2014 at 05:00 PM.
    Go jetties

Banned
    Moving from the Eastern to Western Stand this season myself well at times the sound is lost in Bay 60.

That being said you could barely hear them in Bay 2 anyway.

From my vantage I can see they are in their having a go. Reality is that numbers need to increase big time in the bay.

Numbers increase and the noise is heard better and thus more randoms around the ground get involved and continue the chants in whatever part of stadium they are in.

Hopefully see some more in their next season when people can buy membership tickets to that area knowing they won't be in the sun all season

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmac79 View Post

Bay60 has been a far better move on the whole. Helps when we are not playing shit as well. Pretty much at our lowest numbers now but at least people are putting it in.

In the end I Don't do active support for you or others in the ground. If you want to hear us come and join us. Complaining while not contributing. Well in.
    Im not complaining. At away games i sit with you guys and join in. At home games i have season tickets with my family. I am just stating what i have noticed since you guys have moved.

Quote Originally Posted by foti68 View Post
    Im not complaining. At away games i sit with you guys and join in. At home games i have season tickets with my family. I am just stating what i have noticed since you guys have moved.
    No worries. Just as I said, team is shocking numbers are down all around the ground.

Would help if the bay was full.
    Go jetties

Would help if people weren't embarrassed to join in in small numbers. Yes numbers were at the smallest yesterday maybe the smallest since some parts of season 6? Brisbane roar at home with the never surrender tifo or that game against wellington phoenix at home in 40 degrees heat?

Thought I'd move to the other side of the ground in the second half for abit and sit next to the guys with the drum there to see if much atmosphere getting made over there. Not much chanting however the come on Newcastle chant was picking up when the squadron was chanting it.

Hopefully if we make the finals we will see a large increase in numbers.
    Quote Originally Posted by benfathers45 View Post
    Mangoes? You should try eating it first before you hate it. I'm sure after you have tasted it, you will love it.

Simple equation

Team winning - bigger active support

Team losing - smaller active support

When the team has been losing consistently it doesn't help either

While I would cherish a bigger active base, there are a lot of pros in a smaller base, including the fact the people who are there are actively involved and not there for the experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by militiamon View Post
    Body gets Stretch drunk, miracle occurs.

Hail Body!

tbh we were lucky if we had 12 blokes over the age of 16 last night, so the fact that you could hear the Phoenix dudes over us doesn't surprise me too much.
    You're probably right about the acoustics foti, but then there's not really anywhere in the stadium that is ideal for singing anyway. Plenty of groups make do with open-air environments (*coughRBBcough*), but again it comes down to numbers.

But yeah, there's not much we can do until the results start picking up. 6 seasons of utter shitness has slowly but surely chipped away at numbers, it's a real credit to anyone still remaining.
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperDyl
    You're funnier on the internet than you are in person.
    Quote Originally Posted by q-money View Post
    the NF law...the longer the thread stays open, the probablity that the thread becomes about joel griffiths approaches 1

Quote Originally Posted by Superdylan View Post
    Would help if people weren't embarrassed to join in in small numbers. Yes numbers were at the smallest yesterday maybe the smallest since some parts of season 6? Brisbane roar at home with the never surrender tifo or that game against wellington phoenix at home in 40 degrees heat?

Thought I'd move to the other side of the ground in the second half for abit and sit next to the guys with the drum there to see if much atmosphere getting made over there. Not much chanting however the come on Newcastle chant was picking up when the squadron was chanting it.

Hopefully if we make the finals we will see a large increase in numbers.
    That's why were improved in the second half. Less bellends.
    Go jetties

Banned
    That's why were improved in the second half. Less bellends.
    That type of attitude doesn't help your cause.

Bit hard to justify that your open and accommodating to all yet put shit on those who do get involved but are not part of the inner circle

Don't complain about lack of numbers if that is the attitude

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    That type of attitude doesn't help your cause.

Bit hard to justify that your open and accommodating to all yet put shit on those who do get involved but are not part of the inner circle

Don't complain about lack of numbers if that is the attitude
    Big difference between people trying to get involved and people who turn up drunk and then on away trips loud mouth our at away support putting squadron members at risk from other groups hooligans. Super dyl deserves every bit of shit directed at him for the trouble he has caused over the years.
    Go jetties

sometimes there is a bit of history in comments on da foz and occaisionally there are some who go past a responsible point.
    However, everyone is welcome to bay 60 to make some noise and be active. This still includes waving of flags etc.

btw member do you still play/help out with KS

brutally rapes small, cute dogs parksey's Avatar

**** you say some dumb shit sometimes
    Quote Originally Posted by snake View Post
    bridges made the world in 6-8 wks

he then rested by the corner flag and all was gud
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Stubbins
    Hopefully it’s the four players, but, if not, the three, and if not, the two.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maito Mitch View Post
    Do you ever get bored of sprouting the same old crap? You're about as predictable as the punishment on the field we sit through once a week

Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    **** you say some dumb shit sometimes
    What was dumb about what I said?

Bloke first stated that we were not able to be heard from further up the western stand.

I referenced the performance and the response from the players post match.

Stated that on the whole the bay 60 move has been positive.

Stated that active support participation and numbers are affected by the way the team are playing.

Stated that last night our numbers were probably at their lowest.

Made the point that active support isn't for other fans in the ground.

Remarked that it is ironic that someone who didn't participate in creating atmosphere finds themselves hard done by that they couldn't hear it.

Also invited them to come and help our numbers by joining us.

Not that dumb or shit really.

But that's your opinion. As the above was mine.
    Go jetties

Maybe what Parksey meant instead of "you say some dumb shit" was "you say shit in a dumb way"

Quote Originally Posted by GazFish35 View Post
    Maybe what Parksey meant instead of "you say some dumb shit" was "you say shit in a dumb way"
    It's more acrobatic my way.
    Go jetties

brutally rapes small, cute dogs parksey's Avatar
    What was dumb about what I said?
    Well, apart from adopting a condescending and pretentious tone when responding to a punter who was just raising an honest question:

^^ This bit.

But mostly this. The whole point of active support is to create an atmosphere to gee up the players and for the rest of the fans in the stadium to enjoy. Having fun with your mates should be a by-product of this.
    Quote Originally Posted by snake View Post
    bridges made the world in 6-8 wks

he then rested by the corner flag and all was gud
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Stubbins
    Hopefully it’s the four players, but, if not, the three, and if not, the two.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maito Mitch View Post
    Do you ever get bored of sprouting the same old crap? You're about as predictable as the punishment on the field we sit through once a week

Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    Well, apart from adopting a condescending and pretentious tone when responding to a punter who was just raising an honest question:

^^ This bit.

But mostly this. The whole point of active support is to create an atmosphere to gee up the players and for the rest of the fans in the stadium to enjoy. Having fun with your mates should be a by-product of this.
    Tone, as I am sure you are aware is a hard thing to convey, and indeed decipher over the Internet.

In the end there seems an endless supply of people willing to say "squadron is not doing well enough" and not enough willing to say "how can I help improve the situation".

For every 1 "squadron did well tonight" there are 10 "put your ****ing flag down".

If there was any tone to what I said perhaps it was that of exasperation at the constant stream of complaint and non constructive criticism.
    Go jetties

Banned
    Big difference between people trying to get involved and people who turn up drunk and then on away trips loud mouth our at away support putting squadron members at risk from other groups hooligans. Super dyl deserves every bit of shit directed at him for the trouble he has caused over the years.
    Firstly he wouldn't be the only bloke who has ever turned up drunk on an away trip

Secondly the bloke is about 60kgs - 70kgs wringing wet and is definitely a lover not a fighter. Unless he is packing some hidden UFC submission skills he is probably the last bloke likely to start the biff

Thirdly loud mouthing away fans well he ain't the first and won't be the last to give them heaps and get them riled enough to want to punch on. Maybe people should be sitting down and speaking to people who are trying to get ultra hool and pulling them into line and not ostracsicising them. Youthful exuberance comes in many forms and needs to be harnessed and controlled. Issue also lies with the away fans wanting to punch on over banter. They need to learn to take it

Fourthly whatever personal opinion you yourself have of SD should be kept private between you and SD. I couldn't give too ****s what you think of SD cause that is your call

As a person of note in the Squadron though you shouldn't be laying shit on anyone in it on the Foz for past matters as it doesn't exactly make you look welcoming.

Your comments about tone being hard to reflect on a forum are right but calling people bellends and saying things improved without someone when they left are not you being unable to convey your tone well. You have already gone on the front foot and had a dig so it is a bit hard to say things were misconstrued